Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Yet my issues with Windows 7 were very very few. I have had very very very few issues with my Windows 7 installs. I have had nothing but problems with my Windows 10 installs as mentioned in my post.

Windows 7 never BSOD on me. Windows 7 never broke all desktop and start menu shortcuts. Windows 7 never broke itself after a disk cleanup. Yet I have experienced these issues on Windows 10 across dozens of systems even at home. I loved Windows 7. Windows 10 is pretty buggy.

And not everyone will experience these issues. How is it right to complain that High Sierra is buggy but not Windows 10? How is it that I have not experienced any major bugs from Leopard to Sierra and other people have?

In my experience, Windows 10 is a lot less stable than Windows 7. Your experience might be different. You could have had horrible experiences with Windows 7 even though it is generally treated as the best or second best next to XP.

[doublepost=1508512532][/doublepost]

Yes, that is understandable. I was mostly targeting the people that state "Apple has crappy GPUs" or "At least this one has a decent GPU". And their argument is about gaming. Really?

I agree. If I want a gaming computer, I would look at a Windows PC. If I need to help someone pick out a computer and they said they want to game, I would recommend Windows PC over a mac. You buy what you need.
[doublepost=1508512919][/doublepost]

And actually if you include servers, Linux is the most popular.
[doublepost=1508513374][/doublepost]

.... for specific use cases like gaming. These are NOT gaming systems. Try comparing a $1,350 NVIDIA Quadro to a $500 GTX 1080 and see that it is only 80% as powerful as the GTX 1080 in gaming.

These AMD cards are better than NVIDIA for what I use. Do not assume everyone plays games on their mac and needs NVIDIA 1080s for it. Or uses software that only can run on CUDA.
Not everyone has mentioned gaming though. Some people need beefier GPU's than what Apple has to offer. Majority of the people who are running macos, and complaining about those "crappy gpu's", don't even have gaming in mind, as you don't get a mac for gaming. It's going to be hard for Apple to keep its "Apple Family" happy, if it keeps trying to decide what is best for its users. A one size fits all approach does not work for everyone.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Not everyone has mentioned gaming though. Some people need beefier GPU's than what Apple has to offer. Majority of the people who are running macos, and complaining about those "crappy gpu's", don't even have gaming in mind, as you don't get a mac for gaming. It's going to be hard for Apple to keep its "Apple Family" happy, if it keeps trying to decide what is best for its users. A one size fits all approach does not work for everyone.

There have been numerous posts here regarding gaming performance and that the NVIDIA cards would let them game better than what Apple has to offer. And some people need Quadro video cards. Should I complain all day every day that the GPU in the Surface Book 2 has a crappy GPU because of that? What is wrong with buying what you need? Apple doesn't have NVIDIA cards? Get a Windows PC.

Choice would be good, but it has been very clear for years now that AMD and Apple are fully partnered up.

Guess what? I have a gaming Windows PC for when I need that power, and my Mac when I need to work. The Radeon 7950 is better for my workflow than my GTX 980 in my 2010 Mac Pro.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Oh my... you are EXACTLY what the new Apple is shooting for. Mind numb consumers that will take whatever they push out at top dollar, and smile while you are doing it. When Jobs was there, you at least had someone with vision that was telling you what you could buy. Now you have a gaggle of folks trying to see who will be the biggest baffoon, each trying to dictate sometimes stupid ideas to you in the name of courage, while their leader is off making political arguments. If you want to be part of that family, then go for it.

Yes I do want to be part of the Apple family. I regard the MacRumors community an extension of our Apple family. It is unfortunate a few too many anti-Apple trolls have been tolerated for too long, but overall this is a good community of people who demand the very best products that only Apple can make.

I, on the other hand, am a normal person... not an Apple person. I've bought and own many Apple products, as well as Microsoft, Amazon, Google, Dell, IBM, HP, Samsung, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, and pretty much any other large tech company. These companies serve me and my needs, and I buy what works for me. I don't buy something because I'm part of a "family".

Normal people buy Apple products. All those other brands you mention, with perhaps the exception of Google and Samsung, are geared towards corporate users who have no choice.

Your membership in the Apple "family" lasts precisely as long as you pay them for their products and services. Waltz into an Apple store with some older product like the Thunderbolt Display (that I paid big bucks for), and you'll find out about "family".

Apple still gives great support for older devices and products. They will still service the batteries in older iPhones and iPads and Macs for example. Even if you are out-of-warranty, it is worth talking to Apple because they will move heaven and earth to help you whenever they can. And they still provide software updates for devices that are more than five years old. No one else in the industry is doing that.

Apple has made some great products over the years. They still do. But I happy to not be part of the "Apple family".

I'm glad you feel that way about Apple at least. They are indeed still making great products, the best products, and driving forward on innovation like no other company can do. That said, I don't expect everyone to fully buy into the Apple experience. But I am definitely not ashamed of going all in on Apple wherever possible.

Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I beg to differ.
Apple hasn't rolled out anything without problems in years.
Please stop being a Apple shill.
And yet here I am, using my iPadPro, Pencil, Apple Watch, iPhone 8+, new 5K iMac, 2013 MacBook Pro, 30" Cinema Display and and Apple AirPods (also have an Apple TV at home) on iOS 11 and High Sierra, using iCloud and Apple Music, FCPX and iWork and more with not a single problem. Hmm.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm glad you feel that way about Apple at least. They are indeed still making great products, the best products, and driving forward on innovation like no other company can do. That said, I don't expect everyone to fully buy into the Apple experience. But I am definitely not ashamed of going all in on Apple wherever possible.

I digress here a tad. I think now they are doing very good products not great. I think in the high end they need to go a bit further than they are going at the moment to fully justify the price in my book at least.

Maybe I'm not a standard Apple customer.

Last year I had the option to go for an iPhone 7 (normal or Plus). Guess what, I picked the SE.

In the same year I had the option of buying the latest MacBook Pro with a touch bar. Guess what, bought the 2015 model with a great discount. They did not convinced me with the USB-C only ports and its has proven not to be a good option in terms of design.

I jumped the iPad Pro version 1, bought the 2, replacing the iPad 3.

I've hold on buying the Apple Watch for the first 2 generation, bought the 3 last month.

What great combination its is the iPhone SE + the Apple Watch. The all thing its less than $700, less than a any other iPhone over the 7 version and I bet this combination on a daily basis its more powerful in terms of features and drives more usage from me. Add to this the AirPods as I did and in my opinion you you get more innovation than an iPhone X that everyone is looking at.

Hey this is just me as I don't like to pay stuff in instalments and I have two kids and a wife to also put them on par.

Cheers.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I digress here a tad. I think now they are doing very good products not great. I think in the high end they need to go a bit further than they are going at the moment to fully justify the price in my book at least.

Maybe I'm not a standard Apple customer.

Last year I had the option to go for an iPhone 7 (normal or Plus). Guess what, I picked the SE.

In the same year I had the option of buying the latest MacBook Pro with a touch bar. Guess what, bought the 2015 model with a great discount. They did not convinced me with the USB-C only ports and its has proven not to be a good option in terms of design.

I jumped the iPad Pro version 1, bought the 2, replacing the iPad 3.

I've hold on buying the Apple Watch for the first 2 generation, bought the 3 last month.

What great combination its is the iPhone SE + the Apple Watch. The all thing its less than $700, less than a any other iPhone over the 7 version and I bet this combination on a daily basis its more powerful in terms of features and drives more usage from me. Add to this the AirPods as I did and in my opinion you you get more innovation than an iPhone X that everyone is looking at.

Hey this is just me as I don't like to pay stuff in instalments and I have two kids and a wife to also put them on par.

Cheers.

I definitely agree with you on instalments. I much prefer buying outright and then upgrading whenever I want. If this means you have to go for a slightly older, lesser model, then it's not a terrible decision at all.

The iPhone SE and Apple Watch is also a great combination for an incredible price. I still couldn't believe how affordable Apple made the SE when they originally launched it. It's starting to look a bit long in the tooth now, and iOS 11 is far from great on that smaller display, but overall I can easily imagine why you are so satisfied with the combination and the total price.

When I've been using my Apple Watch to track exercise, I hated carrying around the larger iPhone Plus. I often lusted after an SE in this situation but thankfully it no longer necessary with the latest models of Apple Watch.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
The problem I will have in the next couple of years or regarding Apple products its my kids as they mature. The Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro nice enough now for their homework and school. But I will not buy them an MacBook Pro at their prices, not even a older model.

Apple needs to complete the iPad Pro vision as a laptop replacement in the next version as the price is right for genera productivity for me. As it is, for me still does not do that. I think they reached a touch maturity to a point where supporting an mouse or trackpad will not hurt app innovation in that field and actually improves the interaction language in cases were the iPad needs to be close to parallel to ones eyes on a desk. Putting on top of the table its just bad for ones back in long periods of time.

So either they show something convincing or Ill be forced to go either Chromebook or Windows for my kids were homework is concerned. Its unfortunate as they like their Macs and the iPad.

Cheers.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Yes I do want to be part of the Apple family. I regard the MacRumors community an extension of our Apple family. It is unfortunate a few too many anti-Apple trolls have been tolerated for too long, but overall this is a good community of people who demand the very best products that only Apple can make.

The iPhone SE and Apple Watch is also a great combination for an incredible price. I still couldn't believe how affordable Apple made the SE when they originally launched it. It's starting to look a bit long in the tooth now, and iOS 11 is far from great on that smaller display, but overall I can easily imagine why you are so satisfied with the combination and the total price.

When I've been using my Apple Watch to track exercise, I hated carrying around the larger iPhone Plus. I often lusted after an SE in this situation but thankfully it no longer necessary with the latest models of Apple Watch.

If you really believe that "only Apple can make great products", that their products are "the best products", and that they are "driving forward with innovation like no other company can do", you are living a bubble of fiction. It was closer to true in years past, but never was true. If you want to close your mind to reality, and limit your choices for everything to only what Apple makes, that's certainly your choice. But its not reality.

What has Apple made, that even attempts to do any of the things that the Surface Pro, Surface Book, and Surface Studio do? Nothing. Many, many folks on this forum have called out for Apple to do something in these spaces. Products like the Mac Mini and Mac Pro have gone years without an update. My signature used to be all Apple. Its not because what Apple saw as important took a left turn from what I care about. Hip hop stars, Carpool Karaoke, Animated poop emojis, removal of useful ports in the name of courage and thinness.... not of interest to me.

Where has Apple declined?

Networking - I have used Airport Extremes, Expresses, and Time Capsules for my networking needs. They were always rated the highest, even though they were over priced and had minimal configuration. Things started to decline and my iOS devices would not switch and I was always getting crappy bandwidth. After much frustration, I bought a Netgear Orbi and finally I have good network performance anywhere in my house or outside.

Mac - I had a MacBook Air and Thunderbolt display. Outstanding setup when I bought it. Fast forward to today. Apple abandoned the display market. Mine need a $900 new LCD panel once under AC, but then developed additional problems and so I was stuck with something Apple wouldn't work on, that didn't work, that was very expensive. The MacBook Air, one of my favorite products, was abandoned and left in kind of product limbo. I moved to a Mac Mini on the desktop and gave the MacBook Air to my daughter. That was in 2012. Its been 3 years since I the Mini has been updated.

Portability - I'm a traveling IT professional and want to minimize what I have to haul around. With Apple, I have to buy a Macbook Pro, an iPad Pro, and an iPhone, to do what I can do with a Surface Pro and a smartphone. I am not the only one that has this need. Apple has decided for me that I can't get a tablet from them that runs a fully capable OS. They are going to spend years and years enhancing a smartphone OS until it can do desktop work. In the mean time, I'll be retired by then. I have a fully functional tablet for note taking by pen, and a full function laptop, in one device... in either the Surface Pro or Surface Book. With Apple I got their great innovation... the Touch Bar. No thank you.

Phones - This is really their main product now. And yet the latest "shipping" product, the iPhone 8, is really an iPhone 6sss. I already have a 6s+... no thank you. The X... seems like a half backed attempt to catch up with everyone else. Where's the plus? Tired of waiting for innovation that matters to me in their smartphones. And what I've found is the Apple ecosystem advantage gap has diminished quite a bit. Thanks to competition, most of the ecosystem advantage can easily be accomplished by other means, and then I'm not trapped in a closed ecosystem.

Watch - You just said you liked the iPhone SE so you didn't have to carry your larger iPhone to the gym. I have used an Apple Watch at the gym for 2 years. I thought it was "the best" smartwatch because I'd not looked at anything else. Now I realize that in the gym, the Gear S3 is so much more intuitive and functional in the gym... and oh yeh, it looks a real watch and can use normal watch bands. What's better, the UI makes sense, and a rotating dial is much easier to deal with when running with sweaty hands, vs. a crown and swiping screens. And Apple hasn't updated the look of their watch in multiple versions.
[doublepost=1508521541][/doublepost]
The problem I will have in the next couple of years or regarding Apple products its my kids as they mature. The Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro nice enough now for their homework and school. But I will not buy them an MacBook Pro at their prices, not even a older model.

Apple needs to complete the iPad Pro vision as a laptop replacement in the next version as the price is right for genera productivity for me. As it is, for me still does not do that. I think they reached a touch maturity to a point where supporting an mouse or trackpad will not hurt app innovation in that field and actually improves the interaction language in cases were the iPad needs to be close to parallel to ones eyes on a desk. Putting on top of the table its just bad for ones back in long periods of time.

So either they show something convincing or Ill be forced to go either Chromebook or Windows for my kids were homework is concerned. Its unfortunate as they like their Macs and the iPad.

Cheers.

The Chomebook for kids would seem to be a great way to go. It would be pretty hard for them to mess that up. Depends on the age of the kids though, because I doubt there are any parental controls on it... not sure, but imagine that's the case.

Reactions: Regime2008

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
I find no hurdles with SE and iOS eleven. Maybe I’m missing some easiness due to the lack of force touch on this device ... ignorance is bliss in this case.

But if you ask me I would love to use a bezless display in a device this size from Apple.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
Because the result is a clunky compromise. An iPad Pro is a better tablet, and a MacBook Pro is a better laptop.

This is a decent choice if you want the best of both worlds. But it's quite compromised. For instance, the display is (necessarily) quite heavy.

Nah, it's not "(necessarily) quite heavy." I use both and I'm surprised at how light the book screen is. I googled the weight of the screen:

Weight of 13 inch surface pro screen only: 1.6 pounds
Weight of 12.9 inch iPad pro: 1.49 pounds.

Unless wikipedia got the surface screen weight wrong, the difference is trivial.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Nah, it's not "(necessarily) quite heavy." I use both and I'm surprised at how light the book screen is. I googled the weight of the screen:

Unless wikipedia got the surface screen weight wrong, the difference is trivial.

The same is true with the Surface Pro. The argument that it is too heavy is just false. It comes down to a personal choice whether you want to haul two devices around, along with all the charges and crap that goes with them, or one; and whether you want to be moving things back and forth to sync them; and deal with two different versions of apps and an OS. If you are only using the iPad for games or something, then it might be worth it to go through all of that. If your primary use is work, then I much prefer one devices to two. I can use the Surface tablet for things like Netflix or books... if I'm going to play a game I'll do it on my phone. It would drive me crazy to try and do real work on an iPad and/or move things back and forth. Plus if you are in a plane for 10-12 hours, how would you move the files around between them. One person's compromise is not the same as another's. It would be a huge compromise to me to have to haul around the extra gear and have the inconvenience that goes with it.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
The Chomebook for kids would seem to be a great way to go. It would be pretty hard for them to mess that up. Depends on the age of the kids though, because I doubt there are any parental controls on it... not sure, but imagine that's the case.

I'm sure it would suffice. But I would prefer something more integrated.

Anyway, by your description you look like someone that bought almost everything the company thrown at you. Suddenly the company was not updating fast enough the stuff as you wanted to update and ... I think you will be far happier in the Windows / Android space.

My self I went the other way around. Until 2009 was nothing but Windows in my book. It was an update party :) You would get my excitement jag every week or so from MS and Co. Than Google ... got fed up.

For instance I never bought Airport Expresses and Time capsules. I have never bought them the displays and look around across multiple vendors when I buy anything.

One last note.

I've used Surfaces for over 3 years, maybe 4. In the vision of one device does it all one of the problems, is that the device can only be a Tablet or a PC, at a time. Its a bit like being in a kitchen with only one table to cook, nothing else, need to push everything back and forward to get space. Quite often today I'm taking notes with my pen on the iPad Pro and Doing stuff on the Laptop. What I want is this use case to improve, that is information to flow from one device to another more seamlessly. Continuity is a big step forward from what others have at any level in this context, but Apple has to push the envelop further with this kind of integration. Say I'm editing a document on the laptop, doodle some tuff over it on the iPad, back an forth seamlessly. I think this would be great for photo editing .. so on and so forth. Also I like the noiseless environment of the iPad Pro when it comes to exploring ideas.

I see your point for traveling. But to be honest I take both, the laptop and an iPad Pro 10.5" on my backpack, don't notice such a difference in weight.

The nice thing is that we now have plenty of options.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

I wasn't comparing to other tablets, I was comparing to the screen part of a real laptop. I assure you a MacBook's screen weighs nowhere near 1.49 pounds.

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Apple has two advantages though; most Americans are closer to an Apple store than a MS store to get service and Apples resale value is still pretty high. I agree in general that both of these systems are just too expensive even if they're halo products.

I've had a bad week with computers as both of mine are dead all in a matter of days so I'm in the market for a new Laptop and I'm still tossing around the new Pixel Book or a System76 Galago Pro. When I was googling to compare the Galago Pro with the XPS 13 developer I couldn't find the newer version available with Ubuntu anymore just the last generation.

I'm still not exactly sure where I'll head but I have until the insurance claim pays to figure it out.
Dell seems to come and go with Linux offerings. My first try was with a little Mini-9 ten years ago preinstalled with Ubuntu 10. It might be worth it to see just how Dell changed the firmware/hardware on the XPS-13 to be Linux/Ubuntu friendly. I'll be in the market for a new laptop in the next few years, and will be paying attention.
[doublepost=1508535255][/doublepost]
Apple has two advantages though; most Americans are closer to an Apple store than a MS store to get service and Apples resale value is still pretty high. I agree in general that both of these systems are just too expensive even if they're halo products.

I've had a bad week with computers as both of mine are dead all in a matter of days so I'm in the market for a new Laptop and I'm still tossing around the new Pixel Book or a System76 Galago Pro. When I was googling to compare the Galago Pro with the XPS 13 developer I couldn't find the newer version available with Ubuntu anymore just the last generation.

I'm still not exactly sure where I'll head but I have until the insurance claim pays to figure it out.
I suspect part of the reason for Dell's withdrawing Linux as an offering for the XPS line is connected with Ubuntu itself making some major changes in its desktop systems, moving away from Unity and going back to Gnome. Ubuntu isn't my distro of choice anyway, as I prefer Mint and Manjaro/Antergos. I have a triple boot on my XPS-13: Ubuntu, Antergos, and Kali. Since Dell made the box Linux friendly, I've had no problem with any of the Linux distros so far. In the next couple of years, I'll be in your situation and will be looking into non-Windows PC laptop possibilities. BTW, Linux gave new life to my 12-year old MBP (1,1), which now runs Mint 17.1 happily. Great old Apple machine!

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I'm sure it would suffice. But I would prefer something more integrated.

Anyway, by your description you look like someone that bought almost everything the company thrown at you. Suddenly the company was not updating fast enough the stuff as you wanted to update and ... I think you will be far happier in the Windows / Android space.

My self I went the other way around. Until 2009 was nothing but Windows in my book. It was an update party :) You would get my excitement jag every week or so from MS and Co. Than Google ... got fed up.

For instance I never bought Airport Expresses and Time capsules. I have never bought them the displays and look around across multiple vendors when I buy anything.

One last note.

I've used Surfaces for over 3 years, maybe 4. In the vision of one device does it all one of the problems, is that the device can only be a Tablet or a PC, at a time. Its a bit like being in a kitchen with only one table to cook, nothing else, need to push everything back and forward to get space. Quite often today I'm taking notes with my pen on the iPad Pro and Doing stuff on the Laptop. What I want is this use case to improve, that is information to flow from one device to another more seamlessly. Continuity is a big step forward from what others have at any level in this context, but Apple has to push the envelop further with this kind of integration. Say I'm editing a document on the laptop, doodle some tuff over it on the iPad, back an forth seamlessly. I think this would be great for photo editing .. so on and so forth. Also I like the noiseless environment of the iPad Pro when it comes to exploring ideas.

I see your point for traveling. But to be honest I take both, the laptop and an iPad Pro 10.5" on my backpack, don't notice such a difference in weight.

The nice thing is that we now have plenty of options.

Actually, I don't change systems that often. The Surface Pro I bought this year followed the Mac Mini 2012. I was all Windows for years (and OS/2 if you want to throw that in there), and around 2008 or so I started moving towards Apple. It was the iPhone 3G that started the shift. It ended with me being all Apple. I switched jobs about 5 years ago and went to a Microsoft shop. I saw how far the integration had come and liked it. That got my interest peaked ... exposed me to Surface at work... etc. But all of that aside, it was Apple's change in leadership and change in direction that started moving me. I don't like what the company is doing now and I started looking outside Apple and liked what I saw. Some of my coworkers and friends and family are shocked that I bought an Android phone... shocked. But I'm quite happy with the move.

Regarding the Surface use cases. I use it exactly like you described when in my home office. I have a 27" 4K monitor hooked to the dock, with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The Surface Pro is tilted in "studio mode" and attached to the dock. I use the Surface display as primarily a dedicated OneNote tablet with the pen, but sometimes also use it for other things. The big display is where most of my other work is, and is configured as my primary display when docked. If I need to go out, or even down to the kitchen, I can grab the Surface Pro and take everything with me... all still where I left it. When I come back to the office I can re-dock. One machine... plenty of power to run as full desktop, and then is a nice tablet when I want to use it that way. On planes, the keyboard goes away and I can proof things and edit with the pen. I can watch movies. Or I can pop the keyboard on and do real work. I use the same setup in home office and disconnected mode for photo editing. I still have two iPads, but I never use them. Anything I would possibly want to do on an iPad that I can't do on my Surface Pro, I can do fine on my phone and its display is big enough to suffice.

We truly live in a great time where there are options... and the options aren't all the same. I may go back to Apple at some point, but I doubt that will happen under current leadership since they are moving farther away from my wants as a consumer... but you never know. I'm quite happy with my current kit and will run with it for several years.

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I wasn't comparing to other tablets, I was comparing to the screen part of a real laptop. I assure you a MacBook's screen weighs nowhere near 1.49 pounds.

I get your point - the whole machine as a laptop is pretty heavy. But honestly, why compare the weight of a surface book in tablet mode to the weight of a MacBook screen? That's just odd! ;)

Reactions: Regime2008

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
I get your point - the whole machine as a laptop is pretty heavy. But honestly, why compare the weight of a surface book in tablet mode to the weight of a MacBook screen? That's just odd! ;)
Doubt the Macbook screen can be detached, and used as a tablet, which it would require a battery, processor behind the display, etc... Surprised they haven't thought about doing that by now.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Thunderbolt 3 exists. If you aren’t gaming, Vega 64 is on par and in some respects stronger than the Geforce 1080 TI in compute.

Regime2008

Suspended
Oct 3, 2017
Basshead in ATL
Thunderbolt 3 exists. If you aren’t gaming, Vega 64 is on par and in some respects stronger than the Geforce 1080 TI in compute.
Thunderbolt 3 exists, only on the new models. And any performance gained from an eGPU, would be automatically be negated by 20%-30% when using an external or the internal display.

ilovemykid3302012

Suspended
Sep 19, 2017
You don't experience issues with Windows, and Windows doesn't crash with you only. You must be the chosen one. Cooler story to you.
And all the others in here who ALSO say they don't have issues, they must be "chosen" too, right? What an ignorant reply.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

No, that wasn't my point — my point was one of balance. On a laptop, the screen part is fairly light, and the base fairly heavy.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Thunderbolt 3 exists, only on the new models. And any performance gained from an eGPU, would be automatically be negated by 20%-30% when using an external or the internal display.
20-30% performance loss on a 1060 would still generally be a tremendous upgrade from integrated. it's not nearly as ideal as Thunderbolt 3, but for a few users, it's enough.

jujufreeze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2016
I admit Windows 10 "works" but its still Windows and has all of the annoying characteristics that I've always disliked enough to move to MacOS. The new Surface Pro 2 can be 20 times more powerful than the Macbook Pro but if the user experience sucks, it really doesn't matter.

If Apple doesn't keep parity with windows hardware, the better user experience doesn't really matter (and windows 10 is adequate), unless you just need a potato to write emails and photoshop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.