MLB 2019 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Feb 11, 2019.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

You get used to the environment if you play there more often, so your performance will increase.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Are you referring to the effects of altitude specifically? Your statement is true of any team in their home games. Why else would most teams usually have more wins at home than on the road? ...not having to travel, maybe?

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

It depends on how extreme things are, in general - altitude or other things.
    In the end, all teams have to adapt to some circumstance one way ore another. Some will play more games at a given altitude, some will play within certain temperature ranges, some will be used to play with wind coming mostly from one direction and so on.

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Bill Buckner passed yesterday at the age of 69 due to complications from dementia. It is a shame that his career is most often defined by one unfortunate play, rather than his accomplishments.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Saw this also. That is pretty young and to pass due to dementia makes it seem like that is an even younger age. Sadly, he will most likely always be remembered for that one play.

Very sad.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

He seemed to be a great guy all around. I saw the documentary where he went back to fenway many years later and the fans gave him a standing ovation and how much that meant to him.... I'm a Mets fan but I was 1 year old during the 86 world series, my knowledge of that play is from historical accounts.

7. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Holy cow, I have the Detroit/Baltimore game on and there's stadium is empty. Maybe a few hundred at most

9. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Baseball fans really abandon ship when a team is bad. They don't want to buy tickets or sit through a game if the team is that terrible.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not the case for Red Sox fans.

In all seriousness, that's the way it should be, yet with that said, I can't believe how empty it looked. I watched the game for like 5 minutes and it was a horror show, so I moved on to another game

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I guess there are always exceptions when it comes to some hard core fan bases... Like the Cardinals, Sox, Cubs and a few others that I can't think of right now.. Traditional baseball towns. But outside of that, you see a lot of empty stadiums for struggling teams. I think its just because there are so many games in a season that it becomes really noticeable when folks start spreading out their attendance.

12. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Struggling teams combined with poor spring weather can make for slow starts for many teams attendance-wise I think. Nobody wants to sit in the cold and rain for 3+ hours to watch a loss I suppose.

Rockies do better than many particularly for a team that does often struggle. The weather probably helps. It is a good environment to enjoy a game, even if they good guys are getting their butts handed to them :)

There was a stretch in the early 2000’s where they fell below league average for like 3 consecutive years, but typically they are above the league average.

Last year game average was 37,233. Season was 3,015,880. League average 2,481,939

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If they are that bad, then they deserve to play in an empty stadium.

Not always. From 2011 to 2016 the Colorado Rockies had losing seasons, while pulling in at least 2.5 million fans a year during that same time period.

14. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

It helps that Fenway has less seats so it looks better even when the place is empty. 14,000 is half full.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

16. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

That's interesting I never thought of Colorado as a baseball town, It feels more of a winter sports kind of town.. but I've never been so I could be way off lol.

17. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Mostly it’s a Broncos town. While the Avalanche and Nuggets have had some success and both made it to the second rounds of the playoffs, most of the sport talk is still about the Broncos, pre-season, draft, etc.

But with the exception of that stretch I mentioned in an earlier post, the Rockies are always above the league average in attendance.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

19. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Ok that makes a a lot of sense, the Broncos have had a lot of success and the NFL overall is wildly popular across the board.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Coors Field is a great place to watch a baseball game. That said, I really couldn't understand why people kept going especially in 2014 & 2015 when the Rockies lost 90+ games.

21. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I think mostly due to that opening statement and because baseball. It’s a great place to watch a game, weather is almost always good and you can’t help but enjoy yourself win or lose :)

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably, the fanbase is quite dedicated.

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Coors field and Mile High are definitely on my bucket list.

24. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That a good question. Looking at Fenway Fanatics.com they show the following for Fenway

http://www.fenwayfanatics.com/fenway-park/fast-facts/

Capacity: 37,755
    Average Attendance 2018: 35,747
    Total Attendance: 2,895,575

So it would appear they did not reach sellout every game last year falling short of max attendance as the game average. (95.3% capacity according to Fenway Fanatics)

By comparison Coors Field has a capacity of 50,480

Average attendance 2018: 37,233
    Total attendance: 3,015,880

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Look at this...

Rays vs. Blue Jays
    5,786 in attendance

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.16.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.16.39 PM.png