Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You get used to the environment if you play there more often, so your performance will increase.
Are you referring to the effects of altitude specifically? Your statement is true of any team in their home games. Why else would most teams usually have more wins at home than on the road? ...not having to travel, maybe?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Are you referring to the effects of altitude specifically? Your statement is true of any team in their home games. Why else would most teams usually have more wins at home than on the road? ...not having to travel, maybe?

It depends on how extreme things are, in general - altitude or other things.
In the end, all teams have to adapt to some circumstance one way ore another. Some will play more games at a given altitude, some will play within certain temperature ranges, some will be used to play with wind coming mostly from one direction and so on.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Bill Buckner passed yesterday at the age of 69 due to complications from dementia. It is a shame that his career is most often defined by one unfortunate play, rather than his accomplishments.

Saw this also. That is pretty young and to pass due to dementia makes it seem like that is an even younger age. Sadly, he will most likely always be remembered for that one play.

Very sad.

Reactions: SDColorado

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
He seemed to be a great guy all around. I saw the documentary where he went back to fenway many years later and the fans gave him a standing ovation and how much that meant to him.... I'm a Mets fan but I was 1 year old during the 86 world series, my knowledge of that play is from historical accounts.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Holy cow, I have the Detroit/Baltimore game on and there's stadium is empty. Maybe a few hundred at most

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Holy cow, I have the Detroit/Baltimore game on and there's stadium is empty. Maybe a few hundred at most

Baseball fans really abandon ship when a team is bad. They don't want to buy tickets or sit through a game if the team is that terrible.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Baseball fans really abandon ship when a team is bad. They don't want to buy tickets or sit through a game if the team is that terrible.
That's not the case for Red Sox fans.

In all seriousness, that's the way it should be, yet with that said, I can't believe how empty it looked. I watched the game for like 5 minutes and it was a horror show, so I moved on to another game

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
That's not the case for Red Sox fans.

In all seriousness, that's the way it should be, yet with that said, I can't believe how empty it looked. I watched the game for like 5 minutes and it was a horror show, so I moved on to another game

I guess there are always exceptions when it comes to some hard core fan bases... Like the Cardinals, Sox, Cubs and a few others that I can't think of right now.. Traditional baseball towns. But outside of that, you see a lot of empty stadiums for struggling teams. I think its just because there are so many games in a season that it becomes really noticeable when folks start spreading out their attendance.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I guess there are always exceptions when it comes to some hard core fan bases... Like the Cardinals, Sox, Cubs and a few others that I can't think of right now.. Traditional baseball towns. But outside of that, you see a lot of empty stadiums for struggling teams. I think its just because there are so many games in a season that it becomes really noticeable when folks start spreading out their attendance.

Struggling teams combined with poor spring weather can make for slow starts for many teams attendance-wise I think. Nobody wants to sit in the cold and rain for 3+ hours to watch a loss I suppose.

Rockies do better than many particularly for a team that does often struggle. The weather probably helps. It is a good environment to enjoy a game, even if they good guys are getting their butts handed to them :)

There was a stretch in the early 2000’s where they fell below league average for like 3 consecutive years, but typically they are above the league average.

Last year game average was 37,233. Season was 3,015,880. League average 2,481,939

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

If they are that bad, then they deserve to play in an empty stadium.

Not always. From 2011 to 2016 the Colorado Rockies had losing seasons, while pulling in at least 2.5 million fans a year during that same time period.

Reactions: bigjnyc

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It helps that Fenway has less seats so it looks better even when the place is empty. 14,000 is half full.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If they are that bad, then they deserve to play in an empty stadium.

Not always. From 2011 to 2016 the Colorado Rockies had losing seasons, while pulling in at least 2.5 million fans a year during that same time period.

That's interesting I never thought of Colorado as a baseball town, It feels more of a winter sports kind of town.. but I've never been so I could be way off lol.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
That's interesting I never thought of Colorado as a baseball town, It feels more of a winter sports kind of town.. but I've never been so I could be way off lol.

Mostly it’s a Broncos town. While the Avalanche and Nuggets have had some success and both made it to the second rounds of the playoffs, most of the sport talk is still about the Broncos, pre-season, draft, etc.

But with the exception of that stretch I mentioned in an earlier post, the Rockies are always above the league average in attendance.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Mostly it’s a Broncos town. While the Avalanche and Nuggets have had some success and both made it to the second rounds of the playoffs, most of the sport talk is still about the Broncos, pre-season, draft, etc.

But with the exception of that stretch I mentioned in an earlier post, the Rockies are always above the league average in attendance.

Ok that makes a a lot of sense, the Broncos have had a lot of success and the NFL overall is wildly popular across the board.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Coors Field is a great place to watch a baseball game. That said, I really couldn't understand why people kept going especially in 2014 & 2015 when the Rockies lost 90+ games.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Coors Field is a great place to watch a baseball game. That said, I really couldn't understand why people kept going especially in 2014 & 2015 when the Rockies lost 90+ games.

I think mostly due to that opening statement and because baseball. It’s a great place to watch a game, weather is almost always good and you can’t help but enjoy yourself win or lose :)

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Coors field and Mile High are definitely on my bucket list.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
If Fenway was 50,000 seats, would they have had that streak?

That a good question. Looking at Fenway Fanatics.com they show the following for Fenway

http://www.fenwayfanatics.com/fenway-park/fast-facts/

Capacity: 37,755
Average Attendance 2018: 35,747
Total Attendance: 2,895,575

So it would appear they did not reach sellout every game last year falling short of max attendance as the game average. (95.3% capacity according to Fenway Fanatics)

By comparison Coors Field has a capacity of 50,480

Average attendance 2018: 37,233
Total attendance: 3,015,880

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Look at this...

Rays vs. Blue Jays
5,786 in attendance

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.16.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 9.16.39 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.