Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teejaysplace

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
MacRumors, you should be ashamed of yourself for even POSTING this rendering. Gold is about the furthest thing possible from minimalist aesthetic that Jobs and Ive have spent the last 15 odd years honing. And the few metals they do include in their palate are highly muted, with deliberate purpose. Minimalism isn't about garishness and attracting attention; it's about the sublime beauty of elemental simplicity. A thing is beautiful because IT IS, not because you've painted it that way. The fact that you would post this on your front page is a farce. This is a blog about Apple, Inc. not Dolce and Gabbana.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
just go ahead and make a mother of pearl colored iphone while they're at it, it'll look better than a gold one

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
I bet many of the apple executives are reading this and laughing just as hard as we are...

Well at least i hope thats the case.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
8 megapixels...still? 3 years and no advancement in whats probably one of iPhones most used features?

Its 8MP camera is worse than my brother's 5MP camera, hint hint.

----------

Remember me? Image

I don't think I want a gold iPhone but the gold iPod Mini didn't look bad.

Yeah, I can see how it would be desirable. I'd get a green one. As for a champaign-colored iPhone, I can see that looking pretty good in real life. The mockup is terrible.

----------

Just curious, why would you need larger images? Higher megapixel does not mean better quality, actualy often worse. Unless you intend to use these images for posters or billboards, 8mpx should be fine. I would rather have better low light and overall better quality images.

I don't see how having more megapixels could ever make it worse quality. Maybe the same or only slightly better, but not worse.

Last edited:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
I can see Apple having a gold phone. It's a huge trend in fashion and home decor right now (along with bronze unfortunately). It's been making a comeback for a few years in Europe. (Color trends tend to strait in fashion and trickle downward)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
8 megapixels...still? 3 years and no advancement in whats probably one of iPhones most used features?

A larger aperture or otherwise improved lens will do more for PQ, than adding more megapixels to the same size sensor. A larger size sensor, now you're talking.....

The parts that have shown up have been variously described as gold, bronze, and champagne, but I think champagne is the most accurate description. Still not sure those parts are legitimate, but Mac Otakara's source seems to think so.

A champagne color option would be really really nice, imho; enough to sway me from a planned 5C to a 5S.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I wouldn't mind a 24k gold iPhone.

iphone5_page_1.jpg

Last edited:

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I don't see how having more megapixels could ever make it worse quality. Maybe the same or only slightly better, but not worse.

An increase in MP reduces the amount of light an individual pixel can capture and can definitely reduce the quality of the entire photo. The result is reduced light sensitivity and noise in your photo. So yes, more megapixels without a corresponding improvement in other areas can definitely reduce quality.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
The whole 5C thing is weird. They are just going to take the guts of the old phones and put them in a new case. Viola! A "new" cheaper iPhone! Kinda what it is now, but in a new case. I guess re-branding it with a new name will drive more sales.

Yeah, that but more so a lower cost to manufacture, which is an important consideration for a business.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I think Apple got the anodizing wrong on the black phone. It looks sort of purple, and comes off too easily. It would have been great if they could have made it out of a black metal somehow.

here is a rendering of the ip5 before it came out. The black looks nicer imho.

MartinHajek%20iPhone%205%20fakes.jpg

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I know that, however with competitors having those advancements plus higher megapixels it doesn't make any sense to not include more megapixels as well.

It does make sense from a profit margin view for Apple, because they are cheaper at better quality.

People always say that you shouldn't buy a first generation Apple product, but they want Apple to purchase first generation components (high MP cameras) for their products that are quality-wise inferior to more mature products. Doesn't really add up, but I guess people don't think it through.

I personally don't care that the iPhone has a lower MP camera than other phones. I'm interested in the quality of the camera of the iPhone and don't care how Apple achieves to make it better than the previous generation.

You mention that you are a wedding photographer. Than you should know that quality of the camera tech is more important than the amount of megapixels.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
The ‘gold’ rumour isn’t so preposterous considering the previous purported leaks that others have mentioned. Although I can’t say it's my style, I'm sure it would sell phenomenally in the China market!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It does make sense from a profit margin view for Apple, because they are cheaper at better quality.

People always say that you shouldn't buy a first generation Apple product, but they want Apple to purchase first generation components (high MP cameras) for their products that are quality-wise inferior to more mature products. Doesn't really add up, but I guess people don't think it through.

I personally don't care that the iPhone has a lower MP camera than other phones. I'm interested in the quality of the camera of the iPhone and don't care how Apple achieves to make it better than the previous generation.

You mention that you are a wedding photographer. Than you should know that quality of the camera tech is more important than the amount of megapixels.
Everyone knows a wedding photographer isnt a real photographer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.