Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I do not have an Apple Watch, but I'm curious.. it holds up outside in those summer months there? I'm in central Texas, and in the summer months, I can't even take my iPhone on walks/runs with me. It's too hot out. I even had my previous 5C "explode" on me because of the heat back when I didn't really believe the operating temps meant serious business. The battery expanded and popped the screen off. It was within the 1st year and the genius bar rep was sympathetic, replaced it as a warranty claim.

Keep it wet and you should be fine when running or outdoor for a long time :).
The watch is mostly off though and very low power, so it's less likely to heat a lot.

The main issue is that battery aging will be much more pronounced (especially if Battery is close to fully charged) if it's in the heat on a regular basis (even if it doesn't explode)..

I'm guessing a black watch would also be much more susceptible to heat problems than a reflective one.
[doublepost=1458959646][/doublepost]
I noticed the part number of (some?) existing models changed. For instance the "42mm Stainless Steel Case with Saddle Brown Classic Buckle" was MLC92LL/A and is now MMFT2LL/A.

What changed?

Maybe swapped one supplier for another and that's a way to track it.
[doublepost=1458959948][/doublepost]
For the people in this market, I'm genuinely glad for them. I have no desire to diminish any excitement they have for this.

As for me, having bought my first iPhone on June 29, 2007, currently owning an iPod Hi-Fi and loving it, having owned and enjoyed the Mighty Mouse, still kicking it with my .mac email address, even occasionally firing up my pre-Intel Mac Pro tower of power, and using my Apple Watch to track my daily run, I simply cannot muster even a scintilla of interest in watch band announcements. For me, there is nothing Apple about watch bands. Nothing. I hate to say it, but I hope they aren't a source of revenue or marketing or goodwill for Apple - I want selfishly for Apple to look for revenue and marketing and goodwill in Tech, not bracelets.

Better design, quality, integrated experience, etc. That's exactly Apple.
Bet you hated the colored Ipods too.
Apple has had people using their device as part of their Identity since well forever, same as fashion.
That people, like you, look down on that is well, your problem.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
Easier to justify than wasting precious time hanging around a site about products and a brand that you clearly hate/envy.

Grow up, not everything in life is about buying from the dollar menu.

It's probably quite appropriate that you use the term "grow up", as many folks on Macrumors are in the 14-25 year old age bracket, where trying to hunt for bargains is just part of life. They don't quite understand that once you earn money and have some cash in the bank, spending $50 on a watch band is worth less than the time you'd spend trying to find a bargain.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
50 bucks?! LOL... how does anyone justify that price?! Looks like Apple consumers will pay any price just to have the apple name on it, even if its just a piece of rubber, haha.

I'd like to agree except crap leather bands sold at Sears are about the same price in my part of the woods.

Does that mean I would buy one? Heck no! I wouldn't even buy the Apple Watch in it's current form.

Reactions: bladerunner2000

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Why does the buyer guide say "buy now"

It didn't get a refresh, it got new bands!!!!! The buyer guide should at least be neutral....

I would lean towards something else though...

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
The premium straps no longer come with the white plastic storage / presentation box. Where am I supposed to keep a £129 strap when I'm not using it! I won't be buying any more straps unless I can find a display / storage box for them!

I highly recommend this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/kukiworks?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754 (each to there own but I'm not too keen on their MILITARY PATTERN version).
They are based in Turkey but shipping is FREE to UK & Europe - FREE Worldwide in fact. I paid $35.00 for a custom made 'roll'. Its not listed at present, but I've attach the original ebay photo below (when I get a minute I will upload a few of my actual 'roll')

I messaged:

This female buyer has an '8' pocket version (she has a 38mm apple watch:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-you-store-your-bands.1899590/ (3under2)

Do you do this in dark blue and beige canvas and velvet for 42mm apple watch straps? I would need 12 pockets (and no tool pocket).

I guess each pocket would need to be _more than 42mm_ but it is just for straps like the link above, not to put watches in.

reply:
Yes that it would be like that but for 42mm straps.

I've just sent you an offer.

35 USD inc P&P.

Best,

On 16/11/15 14:07,

Re: item #161874882554, ending on 30-Nov-15 12:48:37 GMT - HAND MADE CANVAS TRAVEL WATCH ROLL - FITS MOST WATCHES POCKET WATCHES

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Just like this then please https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-do-you-store-your-bands.1899590/
but with 10 Pockets to house the 42mm apple watch straps. Each pocket would be 44-45mm.

Can I confirm price is $35.00 inc P&P?

end

I'm sure 'kukiworks' can custom make a ten pocket one (like mine) even though its not listed, quote "#161874882554 message 16/11/15 14:07"
Turkish hand made quality delivered for £24.16 within a week of order.
I have got: dark blue and beige canvas and velvet for 42mm apple watch straps with 10 pockets hand made, and am extremely happy.
You can actually fit more than one strap in a pocket (i.e. 2 sport straps) if you have say 12 straps
I cannot emphasise the quality, craftmanship/craftwomenship, value and service the 'roll' is absolutely stunning. This is handmade especially for you!
Look no further if you want somewhere to store your :apple:watch straps in quality.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 06.01.23.png
    Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 06.01.23.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I store all my watch bands in a grid-it which I can place in a drawer or hang on a hook. The smaller one is holding 8 tight now iirc. It's not a display case but I figure the warmth on a dock is as displayed as I need your looking for a functional but not a storage so,union which shows off the bands. The grid-it works perfectly, ought a roll up that held the bands would be cool to have. Is that for multiple bands or a watch in general? I can't really tell. Looks like multiple bands based on the conversation. But is it the same piece no matter the pocket count or? How do you custom order the amount you need?

The grid it works well for sittin on top of s drawer of socks and stuff or for hanging on a hook but a roll may fit more easily in the nightstand.

Small with bands and larger without. - empty for now and underneath for a size comparison . They're $15-20. If you don't use it for bands remember it for cables and such. They're amazing organizers.

c5b0f44f06b0035e56ba9cc83f7b64f4.jpg

Last edited:

apolkowski

macrumors regular
Interesting to hear. I've looked at the website and it looks nice, but hard to tell exactly what it's like for real.

I love my watch but am kind of sad that I didn't get the silver aluminium as it's a lot more suited to the different band colours. I wouldn't necessarily buy loads but it would be nice to have a colour other than black.

I wavered when I ordered as I thought this might be a problem but stuck with the Space Grey; it looks good but I think next gen I'll go silver aluminium or possibly go SS.

The Black Nylon band in combination with space gray metal "sold me" the sport watch. So I am the happy owner of Apple Watch since Thursday.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Why does the buyer guide say "buy now"

It didn't get a refresh, it got new bands!!!!! The buyer guide should at least be neutral....

I would lean towards something else though...
Are there watches other than the pebble and Fitbit which work...really do any android wear watches work yet? I'd love to see a mower but it has to do voice replies which seem locked Down to Apple devices only.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
11.6 million and 50% market share. Not bad for a first gen product.

In the context of a markert that generally no one cares about, and that being mostly the general public, markert share when you dominate the phone markert is a given. Apple was is the only one taking it seriously.

As for units sold for an accessory to the iPhone, 11.6 million is pathetic for the amount of iPhones sold in the same period, and the amount they support the Apple Watch, 11.6 million is awful....if you do the maths.

And this is coming from someone that owns 2 apple watches.

For me it's fun to own an apple product that is very unpopular, and that I very very very seldom see, living in a city as huge as London.
[doublepost=1458976780][/doublepost]
That graphic reminds me of a lady's eyeshadow case. Intentional?
6655e9c072243992_Shadow-Brushes.xxxlarge_1.jpg

You just broke a news stories for the colours that will be available for when Apple Watch 2 launches :p
[doublepost=1458976838][/doublepost]
I store all my watch bands in a grid-it which I can place in a drawer or hang on a hook. The smaller one is holding 8 tight now iirc. It's not a display case but I figure the warmth on a dock is as displayed as I need your looking for a functional but not a storage so,union which shows off the bands. The grid-it works perfectly, ought a roll up that held the bands would be cool to have. Is that for multiple bands or a watch in general? I can't really tell. Looks like multiple bands based on the conversation. But is it the same piece no matter the pocket count or? How do you custom order the amount you need?

The grid it works well for sittin on top of s drawer of socks and stuff or for hanging on a hook but a roll may fit more easily in the nightstand.

Small with bands and larger without. - empty for now and underneath for a size comparison . They're $15-20. If you don't use it for bands remember it for cables and such. They're amazing organizers.

c5b0f44f06b0035e56ba9cc83f7b64f4.jpg

Very nice collection of bands there!

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
In the context of a markert that generally no one cares about, and that being mostly the general public, markert share when you dominate the phone markert is a given. Apple was is the only one taking it seriously.

As for units sold for an accessory to the iPhone, 11.6 million is pathetic for the amount of iPhones sold in the same period, and the amount they support the Apple Watch, 11.6 million is awful....if you do the maths.

And this is coming from someone that owns 2 apple watches.

For me it's fun to own an apple product that is very unpopular, and that I very very very seldom see, living in a city as huge as London.
[doublepost=1458976780][/doublepost]

You just broke a news stories for the colours that will be available for when Apple Watch 2 launches :p
[doublepost=1458976838][/doublepost]

Very nice collection of bands there!

I bet you are over the moon that you can now pair both your apple watches with one iPhone, that must be so much better.
cheers

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not saying it's necessarily worth $50, but the quality IS better than other options that are out there. The link bracelet is very expensive, but the other options are just a lot worse. It's not just the Apple name, but it the quality is just better... believe it or not.
I hate to agree because I think ALL the bands are overpriced, but this is completely right. I tried a bunch of third party bands at all price points and they all sucked. Low quality cheap crap that falls apart, breaks or just doesn't feel good. Meanwhile even my basic sport band feels amazing.

I think these lower cost bands from Apple should be more like $30, but I'm willing to pay what it costs because it feels totally worth it

Reactions: MR-LIZARD

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I hate to agree because I think ALL the bands are overpriced, but this is completely right. I tried a bunch of third party bands at all price points and they all sucked. Low quality cheap crap that falls apart, breaks or just doesn't feel good. Meanwhile even my basic sport band feels amazing.

I think these lower cost bands from Apple should be more like $30, but I'm willing to pay what it costs because it feels totally worth it
All my 12 are fine from aliexpress & ebay.co.uk I added my own space grey lugs & Loctite. 42mm sports grey

Watch Straps
•Black OEM
•Black leather £18.99 eBay UK"
•Light Blue £3.66 eBay China
•Red £9.87 eBay
•Dark Grey £4.58 eBay China
•Milanese loop £19.99 eBay UK
•Leather Choc £13.62 aliexpress"
•Dark Blue leather £12.81 aliexpress" # both
•Dark Blue £5.99 eBay UK
•Antique White £5.99 eBay UK
•Navy 'Nato' £2.83 aliexpress"
•Navy 'Nato' (2nd) £2.83 aliexpress" # Long end
# phillips screws
Lugs 10 x 1.24 £12.40
Lugs 4 x 1.26 £5.02

I use the ones with *
Watch Face Colours
WHITE*
RED*
ORANGE
LIGHT ORANGE
YELLOW
GREEN
TURQUOISE
LIGHT BLUE*
BLUE*
MIDNIGHT BLUE*
PURPLE
LAVENDER
PINK
VINTAGE ROSE
WALNUT*
STONE*
ANTIQUE WHITE

Last edited:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I bought my watch (42mm Milanese) last year. One of the things I like to do is swap out the bands on a daily basis. I have tried 3rd party bands. The Apple bands are crafted better. The Sports band feels great, and doesn't feel like rubber or plastic on my wrist. It breathes quite nicely. I'm interested in trying out the nylon bands.
Quite a few folks have tried the third party bands in this thread....why? Is it because deep down, in your inner self you know $50 is an insane amount of money for a slither of rubber?

Even if Apple have dreamed up the most magical way of crafting a slither of rubber, it matters not, it is 5 cents of rubber.

I like my Apple products as much as anyone, but where I come from, you would have to be soft in the "ed" to defend the value of a slither of rubber
[doublepost=1458979700][/doublepost]
It's probably quite appropriate that you use the term "grow up", as many folks on Macrumors are in the 14-25 year old age bracket, where trying to hunt for bargains is just part of life. They don't quite understand that once you earn money and have some cash in the bank, spending $50 on a watch band is worth less than the time you'd spend trying to find a bargain.
....and that is exactly why Apple charge what they do

Can't wait for watch strap S or next gen of watch which requires a different strap. No worries the old ones will still be worth $50.....won't they?

Last edited:
Reactions: BruceEBonus

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK

The new Apple Watch bands that were introduced at Monday's "Let Us Loop You In" event are now available for personal pickup from Apple's online store, letting prospective buyers check in-store stock levels and arrange for in-store pickup after purchasing online.

Apple has been selling the new Apple Watch bands in retail stores since earlier this week, but prior to today, there was no way to know if a particular store had a specific band available for purchase.

applewatchpersonalpickup-800x471.jpg

Many bands that will not ship for several weeks from the online store, such as the Gold/Royal Blue Woven Nylon band and the Yellow Apple Watch Sport band, are immediately available in Apple retail stores across the country. There are some bands, like the 38mm Scuba Blue and Gold/Red Woven Nylon, that appear to be in shorter supply and are not available at most stores.

The Woven Nylon bands, available for $49 in Gold/Red, Gold/Royal Blue, Royal Blue, Pink, Pearl, Scuba Blue, and Black, are a new product line that just debuted this week. Apple has also updated the Sport Band, Modern Buckle, Leather Loop, and Classic Buckle with new spring color choices and introduced a new Black Milanese Loop.

Article Link: New Apple Watch Bands Now Available for Personal Pickup

Oh Yellow! Now I will be a MAN.
Flicks golden locks out of steely blue eyes, clutches rhinestone handbag and strides into the sunset trailing a pink boa.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I wasn't interested in this article until I read that it was a personal and not an impersonal pickup service. If there's anything I hate more - it's ordering and paying for say ... Five watch bands. Going in, handing over your £250 and then the Assistant not calling you by your first name or anything. How impersonal would that be? :cool:

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales

With respect what a ridiculous comment.
Your lookingglass is slightly opaque.
I'm a UK Company Director celebrating our 21st year in business this year. I'm directly responsible for over 35 salaries.
It does not take long to find bargains and is actually quite 'fun' as a spare time leisure 'hobby'.
Only one of my twelve apple watch straps is OEM. No prizes in guessing which one that is.
I do have caveats.
Use good 'lugs', a good quality Pentalobe screwdriver and of course Loctite thread sealant.
ps
I also pay approx £4.20 a month for Google Play Music till December 2019.
I like a good deal, who doesn't?.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.