Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I wasn't interested in this article until I read that it was a personal and not an impersonal pickup service. If there's anything I hate more - it's ordering and paying for say ... Five watch bands. Going in, handing over your £250 and then the Assistant not calling you by your first name or anything. How impersonal would that be? :cool:
Uhhhh... Yep! I guess

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make. The exclamation points are seriously throwing me off. Are you agreeing with me? Disagreeing? Happy? Mad?

Sincerely,
Clueless in Seattle

No, I'm confused by your comment.
[doublepost=1458988996][/doublepost]
I dont know much about the rubber bands apple sells, but it's rubber. If I were to use phone cases bought retail and ones off ebay for ONE DOLLAR which I've owned plenty of, they're more than adequate. 50 dollars for something that essentially costs them pennies is robbery... and what you're doing is essentially telling them you're content with it. Perhaps you've got a lot of spare money you can waste, but most of us dont have the privilege to be so careless with money.

Please know that you're WRONG, lol.

I along with MANY others very much DO care how the home screen looks. For one, I'm able to manage which apps are static in my dock on my Nexus phone. Next, I use Chronus widget which tells me the time and current weather based on my location; tapping either section opens up my alarm clock which I use frequently or an expanded view of a 5 day forecast. I've got only TWO home-screens because that's all I need for my main apps and all others that I rarely use are tucked away. I've got 8 contacts on the second home screen as shortcuts since they're my most often used one. This has been my preferred view for a very long time.

Of course, this is MY preferred method. My mom and dad both have their own preferences of how their MAIN SCREEN looks/acts. All my friends who are on android phones have their own customization and many of them use Nova Launcher to get even more customization to THEIR liking along with other things like different keyboards, backgrounds, lock screens, etc.

But hey, you say people dont care about customization right? Then why did Apple add alternative keyboard support in iOS? What about those that jailbreak their phones? What about those that actually DO customize their phone in other ways?

You know, it's a good thing Android (and other platforms) exist if only to run your anger wild. You're not entitled to have everyone do things the way YOU DO just because your selfish.

Thank god for CHOICE.

No, dude , you don't even have an Apple Watch, because you don't even have an iPhone. Almost every post of you is about how bad Apple and their products are. And how much better Samsung products are.

Reactions: deany

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
I live in the UK. One of Apple's bigger markets where people love to buy the latest and greatest iPhones.

Never seen an Apple watch in the wild since they were launched.

Oddly. I've only ever seen one on my travels. Ah. But that was before this massive watch strap bonanza was launched. So it's possible that once the British public espy these eye catching beauties, their resistance to the Apple Watch will melt away accordingly.

Or.

Not.

Reactions: Stjuls

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
50 bucks?! LOL... how does anyone justify that price?! Looks like Apple consumers will pay any price just to have the apple name on it, even if its just a piece of rubber, haha.

If they're natural rubber then they're not in the least expensive if not they're about $20 high

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I live in the UK. One of Apple's bigger markets where people love to buy the latest and greatest iPhones.

Always find this kind of comments funny. If Apple sold 17-18M world wide up to now, half in the US, that makes 8-9M in all the rest of the world.
Only probably less than 1% of people in the UK would have one.
Considering how inconspicuous they would be, especially in a place like the UK in cool weather, it's not surprising you wouldn't see this 1%.

If you work in central London (where they would likely be the most frequent place to see them in the UK) I'm sure you'd see a decent number there.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012

I also live in the UK (London). I've seen a fair few. two colleagues and every now and again I'll see one on the tube. I've probably seen under 10 in the wild and most of them are sports models.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I use Chronus widget which tells me the time and current weather based on my location; tapping either section opens up my alarm clock which I use frequently or an expanded view of a 5 day forecast.

Wow, I just look at my watch and the sky. But I guess we can't all be a jet setting international person like you.

I've seen quite a few in Birmingham, not overly common - but more that Android Gear or whatever Samsung uses these days. I did see a load of LG smart watches once, all in CEX just after the Apple watch was released

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
This is the pink that should have been released at launch. The other one even though it said pink, was much more salmon.

Too late for Apple though, I bought a 3rd party pink band for 1/3th the cost. The quality is just as good.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've seen quite a few in Birmingham, not overly common - but more that Android Gear or whatever Samsung uses these days. I did see a load of LG smart watches once, all in CEX just after the Apple watch was released
I've seen a few in Birmingham but they were all being worn by staff in the Apple Store. ;)

I've seen a few Pebbles and a horrible huge Samsung being worn out in the wild but I guess the smartwatch fad has yet to take off in the Black Country. :D

machinamachine

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2016
It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about watch bands. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about watch bands. I mean, listen, we're talking about watch bands, not a computer, not a computer, not a computer, we talking about watch bands. Not a computer. Not, not … Not the computer that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the computer, but we're talking about watch bands, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about watch bands. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And I'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about watch bands man. What are we talking about? Watch bands? We're talking about watch bands, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about watch bands. We're talking about watch bands. We ain't talking about the computer. [more laughter] We're talking about watch bands, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about watch bands right now.

Extreme hubris.
And the flower hasn't blossomed because it is just spring, just spring. No need to see the fruit. Just as one could care less to see the caterpillar curled into a ball or wrapped up, when they really just want to be there to witness that first flight. I've felt at times like been there and seen it all. Played the game, seen the show, and put all of everyone's time and focus into it so many times before... so why bother? But they are only talking about watch bands. Only bands. Bands, bands, bands. Bands. Loops? Oh you act like you are new to the loop. Where have you been for the past 20+ years? It's easy to sum it all up, isn't it... Smallest, smaller, small. Stay eager.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
$50 for something that costs 40 cents to make and ship?

I think Apple is going too far with this. Especially when you consider that a base model goes for 299 now (which is still high for the limited functionality).

It really turns me away from Apple brand. Makes me think that Apple is the new Microsoft (under Ballmer).

Yup. What Apple has turned out lately has been lack luster. They are becoming a "life style" brand, and that's not a good thing. I can defend the reasoning to buy an AppleTV, MBP, and and iPhone. It makes sense because it's a digital ecosystem. But to defend paying $50 for a fashion item when there are 3rd party bands that will do the exact same thing for the same device at a fraction of the cost... I don't know why you would purchase Apple's bands.

People will defend the band purchases but I doubt they purchase only Apple iPhone cases. Really when it comes to "fashion" there is no logic. It's all about feelings which are often irrational. And for those who say, "apple customers have money to buy it", it doesn't mean it's a good investment, just like that new car so many people buy.
[doublepost=1459000418][/doublepost]
Extreme hubris.
And the flower hasn't blossomed because it is just spring, just spring. No need to see the fruit. Just as one could care less to see the caterpillar curled into a ball or wrapped up, when they really just want to be there to witness that first flight. I've felt at times like been there and seen it all. Played the game, seen the show, and put all of everyone's time and focus into it so many times before... so why bother? But they are only talking about watch bands. Only bands. Bands, bands, bands. Bands. Loops? Oh you act like you are new to the loop. Where have you been for the past 20+ years? It's easy to sum it all up, isn't it... Smallest, smaller, small. Stay eager.

You are completely missing their point. He's pointing out how people get so excited over a stupid watch band. It's the equivalent to going crazy over a new color option for car interior. Or a new material for your car mats. The focus is the CAR not the freak'n fabric or color of that fabric, for the interior.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
All I can really say on price is THIS. And I don't feel anyone can actually disagree with me on this point :)

The true cost of something is NOT how much you pay to pay to GET IT. It is, if you decide to sell it on, how much can you SELL IT FOR.

With some Apple products this is true, whilst others it's not.

High end iMacs drop like a stone fast from the new price to a acceptable second hand price after a few years, then they don't drop a lot.

As always, the lower models are much better in terms of depreciation than the higher models.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
There are 3rd party bands that will do the exact same thing for the same device at a fraction of the cost... I don't know why you would purchase Apple's bands.

People will defend the band purchases but I doubt they purchase only Apple iPhone cases. Really when it comes to "fashion" there is no logic. It's all about feelings which are often irrational. And for those who say, "apple customers have money to buy it", it doesn't mean it's a good investment, just like that new car so many people buy.

Why my newest notebook is a Chromebook. Does everything a MacBook does and even more for next to nothing. I will never understand dopes who pay over $1,000 for a god damn notebook to log in to Facebook and web browse. Also why I never bought into the iPod stupidity. Far superior specs and price from competitors than that plastic toy with white earbuds. It took a while but we original iPod naysayers were finally vindicated when Apple finally put the nail in the coffin. Most intelligent and rational people will say the iPod was when Apple became a toy company like Fisher Price. But it was really the iMac that began this whole nonsense.

I'll always remember my brother berating me for getting the original iMac because it lacked a floppy drive. I returned it and I got a beautiful Gateway for a fraction of the price of the Playskool iMac and I ended up using floppy disks until 2010. Looking back, he was so right. Apple really neve made functional tools. They sacrifice functionality for philosophical aesthetic ideal—which the iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro, iPod, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and now the Apple Watch are neither.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Extreme hubris.

WOW, no more for you today.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
$50 for something that costs 40 cents to make and ship?

I think Apple is going too far with this. Especially when you consider that a base model goes for 299 now (which is still high for the limited functionality).

It really turns me away from Apple brand. Makes me think that Apple is the new Microsoft (under Ballmer).

There are a bunch of 3rd party bands out there.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I also live in the UK (London). I've seen a fair few. two colleagues and every now and again I'll see one on the tube. I've probably seen under 10 in the wild and most of them are sports models.

What is a tube?

Edit nevermind, but can't delete. Googled

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
There is close to ZERO customization on iDevices. If the consumer decides on say, an iPhone, then they don't care for customization or have no knowledge about the ability to do so on alternatives and the inability to do so on an iPhone.

Your life is pathetic, I guess.. judging from your posts here.
[doublepost=1459001883][/doublepost]
What ever price the market will bare. You buy Apple, you are buying into a brand more than a technology.

What brand are you using for "technology"? Google? Samsung? Microsoft?
[doublepost=1459002211][/doublepost]
It's not an opinion.

LOL. Fit you perfectly!
[doublepost=1459002449][/doublepost]
Simple. It's their money, their business as to how they wish to spend it. No other reason is necessary, at least not to you of all people.

I heard him stomping his feet. LOL.
[doublepost=1459003009][/doublepost]
As for units sold for an accessory to the iPhone, 11.6 million is pathetic for the amount of iPhones sold in the same period, and the amount they support the Apple Watch, 11.6 million is awful....if you do the maths.

And this is coming from someone that owns 2 apple watches.

No, it's not. Why? Because iPhone will function perfectly without a Watch. People don't need the Watch to improve their iPhone experience, and the Watch is only the 1st generation.
10+ million for 1st generation product will never be "awful" whichever way you cut it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.