Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkfraiders7

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2011
I currently have an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro thats been replaced twice now. Starting Graduate school soon, I thought about treating myself by upgrading to a new MBP. After looking at the base model 15" I closed the Apple Store page. Honestly, with Apple enthusiasts on this website putting off purchasing a new Macbook Pro due to the prices, I'm anxious to see how low the sells numbers are.

bwcw

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
What a freaking joke. So glad I bought my Dell XP 15 in Feb and didn't wait for this.

Skylake i7
16GB Ram
512GB SSD
4k UHD
Dedicated NVIDIA graphics
Edge to Edge display

All for less than 1200 from the Dell Outlet.

Anyway to get osSierra to run on a Dell or other PC? Way to expensive considering the slight increase in performance from my 2014 rMBP. Now if Apple had introduced a full retina touchscreen then it might have been worth upgrading.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
the apple care is $350 - almost 4,200 in total- sorry guys but I'm not happy with Apple this is really unnecessary

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've ordered a 13" with touch bar...but with shipping at 2-3 weeks i'm going to have a while to contemplate this purchase.

On one hand, it is pretty much everything I want, but on the other hand, it is around $500 more than I was expecting to be paying for it. Absolutely insane pricing.

Reactions: CuriosoGeorge

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not one to scoff at Apple's (considerable) prices, and that's exactly what I'm not doing right now either. They are never a big surprise. The next iMac is no doubt also going to be expensive.

It helps that I don't upgrade often, of course, and that money could be going towards far worse things than ease of use, the ecosystem and security.

Reactions: MacGurl111

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
Pained me a little to not get this new model, but I decided to pull the trigger on the 13" 3.1Ghz i7 previous model in the refurb store. $1600 with 16G Ram.

I really don't need the touch bar and at least the old model has a keyboard I like and all the ports I need including mag safe. With the "old model" discount and refurb prices, it's enough to make me happy upgrading from a 2008 model.

Reactions: Tensakun

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Lenovo P50 is the way to go:
---
Xeon Mobile CPU
64 GB RAM
HD/SSD Bay
2, yes 2, NVMe PCIe bays
4K display.

Pricing starts around $1400, fully loaded is around $2400.

--

Fully loaded MBP 15 inch: over $4,200
16 GB ram
2 TB non-upgradable PCIe storage.

Oh man it's sooo ugly though!

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I'm not one to scoff at Apple's (considerable) prices, and that's exactly what I'm not doing right now either. They are never a big surprise. The next iMac is no doubt also going to be expensive.

It helps that I don't upgrade often, of course, and that money could be going towards far worse things than ease of use, the ecosystem and security.
I used to upgrade almost every year when it came to iMac, iPhones, etc. As of late I have not due to price increases and next plan, I hate those. My iMac is 2 years old, phone is about 1 year old, MBP is over 4, etc. I'm just grateful that my iDevices are still in working condition.

Macintosh IIcx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2014
Denmark
Ugh, those prices are a kick in the stomach! I was really hoping that they would keep them in line with the current prices.

Not gonna hit the buy button tonight. Gonna sleep in this one. Need 15" and 512 GB storage, so the top pre-built MBP 15 could be an option. But upgrading to 4 GB vram would be a clever option for the price.

BTO hmmmm......? Gonna sleep on this man!

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
I've ordered a 13" with touch bar...but with shipping at 2-3 weeks i'm going to have a while to contemplate this purchase.

On one hand, it is pretty much everything I want, but on the other hand, it is around $500 more than I was expecting to be paying for it. Absolutely insane pricing.

You're the kind of person that allows them to continue to do this (don't agree, but buys anyway). In addition to the people with endless cash.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I currently have an early 2011 15" MacBook Pro thats been replaced twice now. Starting Graduate school soon, I thought about treating myself by upgrading to a new MBP. After looking at the base model 15" I closed the Apple Store page. Honestly, with Apple enthusiasts on this website putting off purchasing a new Macbook Pro due to the prices, I'm anxious to see how low the sells numbers are.

I'm afraid if this doesn't sell well, this will force Apple to stop caring about the Mac line, which is sad.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Anyway to get osSierra to run on a Dell or other PC? Way to expensive considering the slight increase in performance from my 2014 rMBP. Now if Apple had introduced a full retina touchscreen then it might have been worth upgrading.

Unless there is a group of people who create a modified OS Sierra, I don't know. My workflow isn't dependent on Apple-only software thank goodness. I mainly use Windows with a 12 inch Macbook. I'm going Windows fully.

Apple's new MBP is just an insult. They give you last year's hardware at today's retail price, or even higher. The price they want for a 1TB SSD is stupid. Touch Bar is nothing. Dell has touchscreen, so if anything, someone can create an overlay application where I can just touch and insert emoticons or whatever I want and just touch the screen with it, and I still have all my function keys. I know I'm talking to a lot of Apple fans here but this is just crazy stupid by Apple.

There's no justification for the outdated hardware and the above retail price for what they offer. They're not trying to compete anymore. No touchscreen but a tiny touch bar? Microsoft and Dell's hardware is kicking Apple's ass.

Last edited:

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
I used to upgrade almost every year when it came to iMac, iPhones, etc. As of late I have not due to price increases and next plan, I hate those. My iMac is 2 years old, phone is about 1 year old, MBP is over 4, etc. I'm just grateful that my iDevices are still in working condition.

My iMac will be six years old in two months' time and my iPhone will be two. Both continue to be wonderful for their intended purposes. Prices per day of use are negligible.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Doesn't the new Surface book or whatever costs something similar to the new MBPs?

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Ugh, those prices are a kick in the stomach! I was really hoping that they would keep them in line with the current prices.

Not gonna hit the buy button tonight. Gonna sleep in this one. Need 15" and 512 GB storage, so the top pre-built MBP 15 could be an option. But upgrading to 4 GB vram would be a clever option for the price.

BTO hmmmm......? Gonna sleep on this man!
I almost hit the buy button then my screen refreshed because I took too long. I just said forget it. I will sleep on this as well. My 2011 MBP 15 inch looks incredibly beautiful right now and my bank account. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.