Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
3 different screens x 5 different colors x 3 different storage configurations = 45 different iphones

True... but you don't approach it like that.

Nobody stands in the store and looks at 45 different iPhones to make a decision.

Instead... you pick your size, pick your color, then pick your storage. Same as always.

It's not as difficult as you're making it out to be. :D

Last edited:

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
And it will have no ports and no physical switches. Wireless charging only. Capacitive controls.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I liked Google's approach - besides battery life and screen size, the Pixels are essentially the same.

I agree, but if those overpriced Pixels actually sell well enough for Google to pursue that business further, I'd wager they'll eventually copy Apple's business model and start introducing new features in the higher priced models to increase the ASP.

After all, increasing Google's revenue is the Pixel's reason for being; they essentially rebranded Nexus and increased prices. Oldest marketing trick in the book.

Reactions: nwcs

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
An up-sell at every turn but since when does OLED cost more when every cheap *ss Android phone ships with it -only in Apple's world.
As an Android user with an amoled screen...cheap OLED screens really suck, way worse than LCD. The ones that Samsung uses (which are the best as far as I know) ARE expensive. Not saying this rumored approach is a good idea. I just wanted to point that out.

Reactions: 5105973

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It's ridiculous that Apple can't compete on the OLED front like the other competitive brand has now for a few years.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
It's scary to think how much the OLED version will cost:oops:
more than the current 5.5" for sure and maybe not sold in the 32GB variant, to maintain the 'premium' aura.

i come to think that they also won't update the SE model ever, as that was only sold to hide the lackluster sales of the 6s generation and make investors happy. could it be?

Reactions: ThaRuler

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This was my thinking. If Apple implemented all the premium features into the larger variant, they are trying to sway the consumer into the more expensive device, which obviously will drive sales.

I love the Plus, but if this rumor is true, it's unfortunate for the 4.7 users, they won't have access to Apple's latest technology.

Reactions: ThaRuler

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I am going to get an iPhone 7 (maybe +) this year. I can see what will happen. The MacBook pro all over again :S. I may live to regret it, however I could also wait an not be that impressed with the update. I think the iteration updates are less "wow" each time. I suppose its only natural.

IG88

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2016
An analyst's job. Throw in some confusing predictions. Something will hit eventually.
And they go like "Hah! See! I knew it!"
If you condition the made up rumor with "subject to change" then you're golden.

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
NO! It doesn't make sense offering both LCD and OLED. It's like saying one is far better than the other but we'll still sell the poor quality one. Hope they make a 4" in the new design. To me, large phones are vulgar.

Correct, the LCD vs OLED split is stupid. But it’s likely done for two reasons: price, and yield. (Think: supply & demand)

Fortunately, even the lower end LCD is not at all poor quality.

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Ming-Chi Kuo is more accurate than anyone else on earth who makes predictions about Apple products.

That's why I'm disappointed to see that no 4-inch iPhone is mentioned in this prediction. This is disappointing considering that Kuo also predicted that the iPhone SE would not be updated next year.
Agreed. I'd like to see them upgrade the SE, but keep it simple.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Well he completely backtracked everything he previously said supposedly from inside the supply chain. Makes his last report null and void.
And as sure as I was last year that this year's model would be the same as the 6 with minor improvements, I can tell you without a doubt that there will not be two different versions of the 5.5.
Why?
Supply side insider info?
No, it just makes no sense and it's just bananas. You don't need a crystal ball or supply side insider info to devine that.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Offering an LCD and OLED display is a terrible choice.Who would get an LCD display over the infinitely superior OLED in that price range

Reactions: Demo Kit

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
Doens’t seem that much of a mess.

4.7” LCD
5.5” LCD
5.5” OLED

The thing I find disapointing is the physical size of the device seemingly dictates the feature set, with the larger devices getting the better, more advanced features (dual lens camera, OLED).

Many people want high end features, but are not interested in a larger physical form factor.

Apple is so achingly inclusive but only if you are a fat redneck with bear claws for hands. Otherwise, you can ESAD with the rest of the small device whiners.

Reactions: Jimmy James

talkybear

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
Unfortunately it's all about profit margin. So you can never get the best screen on all of the models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.