Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Here in Utah, that was the story last year. Scalpers were like 75 out of the fist 100 people in line, and they screwed a ton of people looking for a 6+ over because they bought out all the 6+ phones within the first 60 people. I really dislike scalpers.

Sucks for those that actually wanted to camp out in those states though. Hopefully Apple can find a way to control scalping in the future.

Well, I'd suggest that Apple should have a policy of (a) no returns, and (b) no warranty repairs unless the original purchaser brings the phone for repairs, until there is enough supply for everyone. That would kill scalping. You wouldn't buy a phone if you knew that you have to find the same homeless person again if your phone needs a warranty repair. Still no problem if you genuinely buy one phone each for mom, dad, and two siblings, as long as you are prepared that _you_ need to bring the phone to the store if a repair is needed.

Reactions: Flow39

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Simple, they just need to require that the phone be activated in the store before you leave. No leaving with sealed iPhones. Even if you put your prepaid sim card in there and that's it, at least they wouldn't be able to leave and resell as brand new.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Well, I'd suggest that Apple should have a policy of (a) no returns, and (b) no warranty repairs unless the original purchaser brings the phone for repairs, until there is enough supply for everyone. That would kill scalping. You wouldn't buy a phone if you knew that you have to find the same homeless person again if your phone needs a warranty repair. Still no problem if you genuinely buy one phone each for mom, dad, and two siblings, as long as you are prepared that _you_ need to bring the phone to the store if a repair is needed.

Would it help if you could only purchase a 6s or 6s+ with a credit card the first 4-6 weeks? I'm asuming most of these scalpers use cash. Maybe proof that you reside in the US as well?

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Simple, they just need to require that the phone be activated in the store before you leave. No leaving with sealed iPhones. Even if you put your prepaid sim card in there and that's it, at least they wouldn't be able to leave and resell as brand new.

It doesn't really seem Apple-like to do that sort of thing. This is a company that has a policy to NOT stop you if you blatantly shoplift from their stores.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Since the 6s/6s+ looks essentially the same as the 6/6+, I think demand by those willing to pay a lot more to show off the latest iPhone will be much less than last year, with maybe the exception being the rose gold models. That's another bonus of buying the 's' model, less demand from the superficial "have to show off my different looking iPhone" among us, which probably includes a lot of Chinese consumers.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
Wow I am actually glad to hear this news!! I didn't get my pre-order in soon enough so hoping to get two shortly after launch.

Making it reservation only in Oregon will hopefully make things better and higher chances of getting my phones!!! Less scalpers etc :)

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
I think I read somewhere that there won't be any iPhone 6s in NYC on launch day because of the popes visit.

nyc has nearly 200 zip codes.. of which, about 5 will be affected from the pope's visit.. as in, certain streets will be on lockdown therefore UPS wont be able to deliver to those places.

[edit- it's 7 zip codes in nyc that will be affected]

[edit2-- me? 11222 represent : )
not affected]

Last edited:
Reactions: The Doctor11

michaelhunter

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I actually don't believe this disadvantages the homeless. When you think about it - they're homeless! Sitting outside an Apple Store for weeks or months makes no relative difference to their circumstances. We have a guy here in Sydney (admittedly he's not buying a phone.. he's there advertising a tech business), but I stopped and talked to him the other day, and he's making $500 a week!!

Granted, not everyone is in that boat (especially if scalpers are only going to make a few measly hundred profit.. their payouts won't be huge if at all). But this guy said he's going to spend the money catching a train interstate to see his family. I disagree in people hogging all the iPhones/iPads etc for themselves (given people wait in line for hours only to be turned away).. but I thought this was rather sweet. Everyone talks about getting homeless people jobs - this guy has a job! Doing what he'd otherwise be doing for free!

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Why would this be sarcasm? I find it striking that people think it's okay to take advantage of the homeless in this manner. It's disgusting.

So you are not in favor of the homeless working. Got it.

Must be a progressive. Let me guess, San Francisco.

Reactions: macfoxpro

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Wonder if this call was made by the same group at Apple that made the decision to solder in [formerly] upgradable components.

Seems silly. Either way they are selling units - and getting them into the hands of people who want their products.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

NO no & no - I want my new products set up by me at my convenience. A couple of iPhones ago I had the sales rep drop my new and "not yet touched by me" iPhone on the counter while rushing to plug in the cord. No visible damage but the last one with that configuration at that time. I left with it but not happy about it being dropped.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.