NVMe with ST-NGFF2013-C; Vega Internal GPU; Mac Pro 2013 (6,1)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CodeJingle, Nov 6, 2017.

1. tsialex macrumors 603

tsialex

All updates from 10.15 DP3.

2. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

Hi Guys!

Thank you to everyone who has been taking part in this thread. I have been reading it for a while now and decided to install a NVME SSD in my Mac Pro (Late 2013).

I tried this Adapter so far...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QNINE-Convert-Adapter-MacBook-Upgraded/dp/B07RR86LSB

I have applied Kapton Tape to the area of the Adapter outlined earlier in this thread.

I was already on the latest macOS 10.14.5 Mojave and have the latest firmware updates installed so I just created a Bootable USB Mojave Installer.

The drive is detected and I performed the installation of macOS without a hitch. The NVME drive boots, restarts and sleeps correctly.

The issue I am having however is with performance speed. I have tested two NVME SSDS (Samsung EVO 970 1TB/Crucial P1 1TB) with the same Adapter and they are both producing very low results in BlackMagic Disk Speed Test.

780 Read
    700 Write

Can anyone help with this? Or point me in the right direction?

I have also ordered the short black Sintech Adapter from Amazon UK however it is still yet to arrive.

Thanks!

3. th0masp macrumors 6502

Earlier in the thread somewhere it has been mentioned that lower speeds can be a symptom that the adaptor is not making full contact with the connector on the board and needs to be pushed in further/realigned, perhaps that's the issue?

4. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

Hi! Thanks, yes I think I remember reading something about that. However, I’m quite confident that the Adapter is firmly in place but it won’t hurt to remove it and place it again.

Perhaps also reapply the Kapton Tape if that’s necessary?

Is there anything else that could be causing the lower speeds?

Also, one other question guys...

The NVME is showing as INTERNAL in Disk Utility and System Report. However, when booting with ALT/OPTION held the drive is showing an Orange Disk Icon. I think I’ve read that means that the Mac Pro is seeing the drive as EXTERNAL. Anything to be concerned of there?!?

Thanks Again!

5. cgscotto macrumors member

The Samsung SSD should be getting about 1400 MB read write speeds. I have a 960 Pro, and those are the speeds I am getting. If most likely is the adapter, either being the wrong type or as th0masp said the adapter not being fully seated. The adapter that most people have been using is this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sintech-NG...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

This is the adapter that I am using with 0 problems. I would also suggest getting a heat sink. The first post in the thread has links to several good heat sinks.

6. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

Hey!

I have the short version on order, ST-NGFF2013.

I have just tried to reseat the Qnine Adapter and Samsung EVO 970 and ran a quick speed test. Pretty much the same story. When placing the Adapter in the Mac Pro connector I heard an audible click, and then I even applied a little more gentle pressure.

Here’s a photo of how my drive is seated...

Attached Files:

7. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

I’ve taken out the NVME SSD and QNINE Adapter, reinstalled the original Apple SSD and will wait for the Sintech Adapter to arrive and give it another go.

I’ve also ordered this one as suggested just in case...

http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1229.html

Has anyone bought one of these Sintech adapters recently?!? Do they need to have the Kapton Tape applied to them?

I went for an Akasa heatsink...

http://www.akasa.com.tw/search.php?seed=A-M2HS01-BK

Thanks again peeps!

8. th0masp macrumors 6502

9. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

10. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

Hi!

I’m also in the process of upgrading to NVMe SSD. Did you have any luck with your plan?

I’ve also ordered the Sintech Adapter from Amazon.

Cheers!

11. armpro, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

armpro macrumors newbie

armpro

Hi everyone.

I recently installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus (with new firmware) in my 6,1 Mac Pro with a Sintech ST-NGFF2013-C adapter. It works great so far but has been running very hot so I just ordered the EKWB heat sink recommended on the first page of the thread. Are there any issues installing the EKWB heat sink with the ST-NGFF2013-C adapter? The non "C" Sintech adapter doesn't have a backing plate like the "C" and seemingly would be more suitable for sandwiching an M.2 SSD between the front and back of an EKWB heat sink, no?

12. cgscotto macrumors member

The heat sink attaches very easily to the blade and the adapter. The only issue I ran into was I found the original screw a little short for the extra width of the blade with adapter. I found a longer screw, but because the blade does not sit flush against the screw post, it bends the blade a bit when you tighten it . Next time I take the drive out, I will add a small plastic spacer, which will make the drive sit flush on the screw post.

13. thomasjans, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

thomasjans macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

my Mac Pro 2013 says BOOT ROM VERSION 130.0.0.0.0.
    Will a Western Digital Black SN750 and Sintech adapter work and do I need a heat sink? Or would you recommend another SSD?

Thanks!

14. cgscotto, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

cgscotto macrumors member

BOOT ROM 131.0.0.0.0 is only for the developer preview of Catalina, 10.15. It depends which Sintech adapter. Look a few post back and o the first page for links to the adapters that have proven to work at the correct speed. Most people have been using Samsung SSD either Pros or EVOs, 960 or 970. I stuck with those because they are similar to Apple's original drive (same manufacturer). I don't know how the WD will do.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I think a heatsink is necessary. The one listed in the first post works really well. This one, which is the one I am using:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-m-2-nvme-heatsink-black

15. Miscellaneous macrumors regular

Miscellaneous

Hi @thomasjans

I have recently upgraded the internal storage in my Mac Pro (Late 2013) 6,1 using a Sintech ST-NGFF2013 adapter. It came with tape pre applied to it and required no further modification.

My BOOT ROM is also 130.0.0.0.0 and everything is working nicely with a Samsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe.

I don’t feel qualified to say if the Western Digital Black SN750 will be compatible or whether or not you need a heatsink.

I bought a cheap Akasa M.2 Heatsink and attached it to the SSD just to be on the safe side.

I have only been using it for a few days now but everything seems to be stable.

All The Best!