Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Nope but I just emailed MS about this. Was hoping they'd list 2011 today. Once 2011 is available I'll pick up a copy along with 2010 for my Windows 7 laptop. Good deal for sure.

Hmm... our campus agreement seems to state you can only buy one copy in total, which can be installed on one desktop and one laptop - and that seems to be a Microsoft policy, not something at our end.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't think I would, but I'm going to be switching back to Office with this release. I tried ditching it all together for iWork, mostly because Office 2008 was a steaming pile of you-know-what. And for a while I was doing just fine...and then I had to collaborate with someone who used Windows. And unfortunately, iWork just didn't import/export correctly 100% of the time, and that's crucial. Juggling .doc and .pages files back and forth just isn't worth the hassle.

I've been a big fan of Keynote, but I'm afraid to say that the new version of PowerPoint is superior in about 90% of its features (other than animations, which still blow compared to Keynote). Memo to Apple: if you want me to use Keynote again, please make it possible to create a graph with different error bars for each data set. Unfortunately, I'm afraid you're spending your time (if you are even working on an update to iWork) on a new mushroom cloud transition (topping your "burst into flames" animation from '09) instead....

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Hmm... our campus agreement seems to state you can only buy one copy in total, which can be installed on one desktop and one laptop - and that seems to be a Microsoft policy, not something at our end.

Is that the same for Office Business? I have a Mac Pro and a Macbook Pro I would like to install this on.

RumorReader

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
Best Buy Not Selling

I just went to two different Best Buy stores to buy Office 2011 for Mac. Both stores have it in stock, but neither store was able to complete the verification process. The computer displayed the error message, "Invalid Number." So until this Best Buy bug is fixed, I recommend looking elsewhere for the software.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I just went to two different Best Buy stores to buy Office 2011 for Mac. Both stores have it in stock, but neither store was able to complete the verification process. The computer displayed the error message, "Invalid Number." So until this Best Buy bug is fixed, I recommend looking elsewhere for the software.

What verification process????

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I've had the opportunity to try MS Office Beta 6 in a less legal way than most beta-testers test the software.

I removed the link since I did not want to get into trouble since it is against the forum rules to link to piracy.

We use 2003 right now, how hard is it to upgrade to Exchange 2007? It's hosted through an IT company and we pay them an arm and a leg each month.

You would best contact them. Migration costs are highly variable on lots of different factors and it is best to contact your provider for those costs. I can tell you that the requirements between '03 and '07 are very different. Licensing alone is much more complex - however my knowledge is not with remote hosting, we run our own dedicated server.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
We use 2003 right now, how hard is it to upgrade to Exchange 2007? It's hosted through an IT company and we pay them an arm and a leg each month.

You'd have to follow up with your hosted provider on the specifics of your agreement. I'd say that they should be accommadating enough to offer an upgrade plan that can be completed within the next six months.

We're on Exchange 2007 SP3, and I've been using Outlook for Mac for about a month in an enterprise environment. I switched back to Apple mail a couple days ago. Outlook for Mac is still a long ways off from competing with the version for Windows. There are too many back end service components that need to be included like Outlook anywhere.

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
You gotta love MS for the shear comic relief they offer.:D

Google is sly and deceptive too but they don't lend themselves to a good laugh.

So here's in big bold emphasized letters the sales pitch MS have on their website, in quotes.

Read and marvel:

"Outlook for Mac is on par with Windows outlook with this release"

This so funny for so many levels.

First, it implicitly states that the previous outlook/entourage on macs was rubbish!!! So they bluntly say that we 've been coning you into buying it. :rolleyes::D

Secondly it doesn't state if it's any good. Being on par with Windows isn't necessarily a compliment. If they'd said Outlook for mac is great and it's as good as that for windows, maybe they would have shaved off some of the ridicule.

I also don't know who they are quoting of if they are quoting anyone but in typical MS ineptness we get the quotation marks without any explanation as to why they are there. Is it Balmer's cousin? His ma? The guy doing his garden? If they are quoting someone then who the heck are the quoting. (edit: ok in tiny letters underneath we read: "read what users are saying". - so now we know, it's Balmer's garden guy.):D

Priceless, the always dependable MS to put a smile on our faces. I hope these guys stick around because if something happens to them and we are left with the android freaks this world is going to be a much more sombre place.

Apparently the quotes change, here's another one, the ribbon is spiffy because there's the menu bar there too someone says!!!!!! Another way of saying our new superb interface the ribbon is so great because it gives the users the option to disregard it completely and go for the menu!!!! Good stuff, hilarious stuff...

Attachments

• delete it.png
    delete it.png
    92.7 KB · Views: 63

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Does anyone know where I can buy the Academic Edition in the UK? I'm not going to buy it unless I can get Outlook, so I'd rather source this edition to get a good discount. :)

bouncer1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2010
Now look at the train wreck of an interface their promo website has. Really only they themselves are capable of such things, these guys are unbelievable.

Ok on the bottom of the page theres a pane. Let's have a look at it.

It's got too arrows on the left and the right.

What happens now if you click the left one. See the second attached picture. Everything disappears from the pane. Huh? :D Someone please put a wedge in their somewhere.

What happens after a few right clicks. The pane again becomes empty. The kicker bit is that once you click a few two many times on the right you can't click on the left to go back, it's just blank from then on. :D

You gotta love these guys!

Attachments

• dafas.png
    dafas.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 112
  • adsfdfa.png
    adsfdfa.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 79

RumorReader

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2010
does the mac version have OneNote?

When I went to Best Buy, none of their versions had OneNote. I was also hoping for this to be included. Best Buy offered the following:

Home and Student: One license - $129.00

Home and Business: One license - $199.00

Home and Student (Family Pack): Three licenses - $149.00

None of the above packages contained OneNote. Only the Home and Business package had Outlook.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah

The HUP I'm referring to allows me to install on up to three machines and I can and have bought a Windows and a Mac version previously. This is for Government employees.

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
I made a purchase through your link. I thought I would mention it so I can add another post to my totals. (I think I'm up to 4 now!)

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
"According to Wilfrid, three-quarters of all Mac users have Office installed on their machines."

Mmm... Okay, but who uses it?;)

I do...the previous version that is...unlikely that I'll upgrade at this time.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Base on David Pogue's review, especially Outlook, I won't be rushing to get this. I already new that it was more or less a re-skinned Entourage (as opposed to truly being 'Outlook'), but I use some of those missing commands quite a lot.

So, I guess for me the question is "Is this 2 steps forward, 1 step back or is it 1 step forward, 2 steps back?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.