OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TMRJIJ, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. darthgeekonius macrumors member

darthgeekonius

I would welcome even that much at this point. I can install from usb but after that, won't boot. I wish someone could help. even tried the terminal command sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0" and I get command not found....

2. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

OS X Extractor 1.3 Beta 3

iu.jpeg

Jony Ive Parody Speech: “As the new Chief Design Office at Apple, I decided to expand my design to this pathetic hacking team. OS X Extractor is truly a remarkable Installer. The new OS X Extractor is a result of collective obsession to make everything inside it thin and light for download but at the same time powerful and efficient. This version of OSXE even in it's beta form is unapolegetically thinner than the current 1.2 version. The design of the Installer is so innovative, that it as well as the guide doesn't need to work half of the time. OS X Hackers app has been designed from the ground up to support the incredible capabilities of the Retina Display on the newest MacBooks and 5K iMac. This of course is completely pointless since this forum thread targets the people who don't have modern Macs to be able to enjoy its beauty and the developers who are suppose to be working Graphics Acceleration right now are actually playing Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on their PCs. The Installer itself has been improved as well. Now we no longer have random copies of resources everywhere during compiling. This is to ensure that you get the correct patches for each version of OS X and to ensure the installation is faster than the time it will take you and me the read this sente .er . . oh wait it's already done. This truly is the best beta release of OS X Extractor we have ever made."

Caution: Upgrade from OSXE1.2 to OSXE1.3b3 might result in some file corruption. Remove the files in your Applications beforehand.

Here is OS X Extractor v1.3 Beta 3. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

A OSXE update is recommended to assist you in installing OS X El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks on your old Mac. Also, by updating the system software of your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use to the latest version.
    Never download this from any other provider. All links must be from these forums or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested stuff.

This Update Includes:
    • Bug Fixes
    • Added OS X Recovery Patcher Beta 1
    • Fixed missing Boot.efi Issue
    • Added 10.11 Kernel and OSInstall.mpkg
    • Maintenance, Graphics Disabler, and AirDrop Scripts are now within Installers
    • Removed XPostFactor due to lack of Support and Users
    • Addresses Issue where some El Capitan and Yosemite is greyed out for some users (make sure installer is in your Applications Folder)
    • Fixed Developer link in the ReadMe section.
    • Fixed inaccurate French language for some words.

Other features added in Previous Betas:
    • Support for OS X 10.11 El Capitan
    • New Structure with Installer
    • Smarter Requirements Checker that can detect the OS X Installer App
    • More Comprehensive Installation Type
    • Smaller Installer Size (unapolegetically thinner)
    • Bug Fixes
    Developer Focus Area:
    • ****Random Error during Boot up (No idea what causes this or if the 64bit Boot.efi needs to be worked on)****
    • Installing OS X El Capitan Beta
    • Kexts
    • General Reliability
    • Rootless Disabling

Download Size: 184 MB

Prerequisites
    Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:
    - Running 10.7 Lion
    - At least 2GB of RAM.
    - A copy of Yosemite or Mavericks in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
    - 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
    -MacBook3,x
    -MacBook4,x
    -MacBookPro2,x
    -MacBookAir1,1
    -MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
    -MacMini2,x
    -iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
    -iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
    1. Download OS X Extractor
    2. Install it. Choose a version of OS X to get the correct patches.
    3. Open OS X Hackers in your Applications and view to corresponding guide the OS you choose. (Use Post 1 right now)

3. TMRJIJ, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

OS X El Capitan Public Beta has been released today. The current beta version of OSXE1.3 Beta will not install for public beta users. I will push out an fix for that later on but a current workaround might be to rename the installer app to 'Install OS X 10.11 Developer Beta.app'

4. atvusr, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

A short test with the new OSX 10.11 Public Beta 1 as patched USB-Installer - it still doesn't work on the MBP2,2. It boots until two third of the progress bar, then it stops with the 'No Entry' sign. This has something to do with USB, the patched Installer ran from a USB-Thumbdrive. If the patched Installer runs from a SSD, connected via eSATA (ExpressCard34) then it boots completely, but gets stuck on the OSX Welcome-screen and the internal Keyboard/Trackpad or a external USB-KB/Mouse don't work .... :(

5. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Did you find anything in verbose mode? I couldn't. Either the boot.efi or something in the SystemConfiguration folder is causing this.

6. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

Hey nice guys, i need some help,,
    well i only got old MacBook White 13" Early 2008 Intel Duo2Core 2,4GHz/ 4Gb RAM 667MHz/ Intel Graphics X3100 144MB,
    So,,before, i had Lion 10.7.5, now, i got also, Mavericks10.9.5 and Yosemite 10.10.4 where i'm typing right now,, and, after looking on apple store i saw El Capitan,, but overtime i click " download " i got this,,any other way to get this El Capitan? Would love to try it,,all other systems are running very well and faster with SSD Kingston,,only imovie wan't run,, but, i don't use it,,;) ;) ;) ;) help,, Capture d’écran 2015-07-10 à 02.26.13.png

7. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Here is OS X Extractor v1.3 Preview Beta 1

Caution: Upgrade from OSXE1.2 to OSXE1.3pb1 might result in some file corruption. Remove the files in your Applications beforehand.

Here is OS X Extractor v1.3 Preview Beta 1. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

A OSXE update is recommended to assist you in installing OS X El Capitan, Yosemite, and Mavericks on your old Mac. Also, by updating the system software of your Mac, you can enjoy various additional features and enhanced security. Always use to the latest version.

Never download this from any other provider. All links must be from these forums or directly from our server. This is to ensure that nothing was tampered with and that you have the most reliable and tested stuff.

This Update Includes:
    • **Support for rendering files in Public Beta Installer.**
    • Bug Fixes
    • Added OS X Recovery Patcher Beta 1
    • Fixed missing Boot.efi Issue
    • Added 10.11 Kernel and OSInstall.mpkg
    • Maintenance, Graphics Disabler, and AirDrop Scripts are now within Installers
    • Removed XPostFactor due to lack of Support and Users
    • Addresses Issue where some El Capitan and Yosemite is greyed out for some users (make sure installer is in your Applications Folder)
    • Fixed Developer link in the ReadMe section.
    • Fixed inaccurate French language for some words.

Other features added in Previous Betas:
    • Support for OS X 10.11 El Capitan
    • New Structure with Installer
    • Smarter Requirements Checker that can detect the OS X Installer App
    • More Comprehensive Installation Type
    • Smaller Installer Size (unapolegetically thinner)
    • Bug Fixes
    Developer Focus Area:
    • ****Random Error during Boot up (No idea what causes this or if the 64bit Boot.efi needs to be worked on)****
    • Installing OS X El Capitan Beta
    • Kexts
    • General Reliability
    • Rootless Disabling

Download Size: 184 MB

Prerequisites
    Tested Macs listed below. Here are the minimum requirements:
    - Running 10.7 Lion
    - At least 2GB of RAM.
    - A copy of Yosemite or Mavericks in Applications Folder (.app file preferred)
    - 15 GB of free space from USB or HDD Partition.

-MacBook2,x
    -MacBook3,x
    -MacBook4,x
    -MacBookPro2,x
    -MacBookAir1,1
    -MacMini1,x (C2D upgraded)
    -MacMini2,x
    -iMac4,x (C2D can be upgraded)
    -iMac5,x

We DON'T assist with Hackintosh. All private messages/emails involving installing OS X on non-Apple hardware will be redirected to another support team.

How to Use It:
    1. Download OS X Extractor
    2. Install it. Choose a version of OS X to get the correct patches.
    3. Open OS X Hackers in your Applications and view to corresponding guide the OS you choose. (Use Post 1 right now)

8. atvusr, Jul 10, 2015

atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

Unfortunately you cannot download OSX El Capitan (10.11) from the App-Store on a unsupported Mac. Simply create a Apple-ID without Payment Method ('None') and without real data and then use a supported Mac from a friend or in the Electronics Market ....

9. atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

It's not the Boot.efi, because the Kernel is booted.

It must have something to do with USB - if the transferred OSX 10.11 runs from a SSD, connected via eSATA (ExpressCard34) then it boots completely, but gets stuck on the Desktop, because the internal Keyboard/Trackpad or a external USB-KB/Mouse don't work. With a patched DB1/PB1-Installer it gets stuck on the OSX Welcome-screen (Keyboards/Pointer devices don't work) ....

10. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Is it actually stuck (like freeze) or is it not detecting the input devices? As for the USB method where the progress bar stops; the kernel is working during that, right?

External Boot - NO Entry Sign
    Internal Boot -Input Devices Stop working

11. atvusr, Jul 10, 2015

atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

If booted via eSATA and it 'gets stuck' then it doesn't detect the input devices. OSX 10.11 itself runs/works with the Desktop, but you cannot operate it because no input device works (they're all connected via USB, the internal as well). If it's booted from USB-Thumbdrive, then it gets stuck at two third of the progress bar - transferred OSX as well as patched Installer. It seems that the old Chipset (Intel ICH7-M) isn't supported anymore. OSX 10.11 DB3/PB1 runs btw fine on a supported Mac from the same USB-Thumbdrive.

Boot via eSATA = Welcome-screen (Installer) or Desktop (transferred OSX), but no operation.
    Boot via USB = stuck at two third of the Boot-screen progress bar, Kernel has booted, but 'No Entry' sign.

12. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

uh . . . Comparing the USB and Bluetooth kexts right now in Yosemite and El Capitan.

Guide will address issue where input devices, USB, and Bluetooth (basically the entire I/O controller, I guess) are not compatible with El Capitan Beta. Also will work on issue with Recovery Patcher where it completely fails to find the BaseSystem.dmg in order the create the patched Recovery HD.

13. atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

By the way: any experiences with OSX 10.11 on the MacBooks 2,1 - 4,2 yet?

14. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

tomorrow i will try to install on macbook 4.1 Early2008,,,

15. TMRJIJ thread starter macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Been working with the pros for a while. Just started on the MB4,1 and now I'm caught up with you on that chipset issue. MLforAll is working that out now in MCPF so he might have a fix for it first.

16. mav2287 macrumors newbie

I tried this on a Mac 5,1 17 2.0Ghz with 4gb ram (stupid thing only sees 3gb of it though) and I am getting the same thing. I get to watch the bar go 3/4 of the way across my screen then I get a circle with a line through it as the macbook did in the earlier reply. At first I thought this was because I forgot to have the yosemite install file in the apps folder. I tried that and had no luck. I was also originally running a USB hub so I went straight into the back of it and still no dice. Any ideas?

Tonight I am going to try to partition the main hard drive into a main and a 8gb install partition and see what it does. Any clue what causes this or how to fix it?

17. mav2287 macrumors newbie

Well I did a fresh install of OS X lion left a 10gb partition and then went in and followed everything to the letter to make that 10gb partition the install. Did a reboot and got a black screen with an apple logo. Waited for about 30 minutes maybe longer and never got the progress bar to run along the bottom of the logo. Since this is an iMac I'm not sure what else to try. Any thing I may be missing?

18. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

Hi, i got one question,,
    in point 16 you say:
    "Library/CoreServices/ edit the com.apple.Boot.plist adding rootless=0 in the string."
    i have to had rootless=0 but where? on that folder i got PlatformSupport.plist,,should i put it like first string? last string? please,,feedback,,thanks in advance,,
    i'm asking cause i've already made 1 usb Thumb drive install, that i got boot, but with kernel panic,,so i must have done something wrong,,i need to remake it,,,

19. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

Hi TMRJIJ , i got one question,,
    in point 16 you say:
    "Library/CoreServices/ edit the com.apple.Boot.plist adding rootless=0 in the string."
    i have to had rootless=0 but where? on that folder i got PlatformSupport.plist,,should i put it like first string? last string? please,,feedback,,thanks in advance,,

20. atvusr, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015

atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

There was a mistake in the stated folder - now corrected.

The 'com.apple.Boot.plist' is located in '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/'.

Between the both <dict> tags, the added strings should look like this then:

Code:
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>rootless=0</string>
    <string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

21. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

ok,, thanks,,a lot,,

22. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

ok, now, i'm stuck,,point 20 i have IOS service - root , but, never use it,,what should i do? i don't now how to run it,,i got this,, Capture d’écran 2015-07-11 à 13.03.52.png

23. atvusr, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

atvusr macrumors 6502

atvusr

Look for the Board-ID - dunno in which directory the entry is located.

I'm using the Terminal instead: ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id .

The displayed Board-ID should be "Mac-F22788A9" for the MacBook4,1 then, according to this list.

24. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

what command should i type in terminal,, is the last thing got to do,,to be able to install El Capitan,,

25. Wolwerine macrumors regular

Wolwerine

so i open terminal and i type:

I now my Mac Id, other way i wouldn't get patch the platformSupport.plist
    I'm not expert in Mac's, but i'm learning,,
    question is,,should i type this on terminal or is not correct?
    " ioreg -Ip IOService | grep Mac-F22788A9 "
    then i should type enter,,
    ??

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.