OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by TMRJIJ, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

My pleasure. I don't know any more than you do. I just followed your instructions and figured these things out. For that, thank YOU :)

2. Db8, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018

Db8 macrumors newbie

Hi guys help required please.
    Trying to install El Capitan to a bootable 16gb usb stick.

Gets so far in then says not enough room on disk.

Useing the creatmedia sudo link from Apple help to creat boot disk with installer app from App Store.

Using disk Utility shows :

External

Name of manufacture of disk
    Install OS X El Capitan. Used 6.48 gb

Disk image

Apple disk image
    OS X base system. Used 2.01 gb

Apple disk image
    OS X install ESD. Used 6.42 gb

53 mb available out of 16gb.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong ?

3. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

Are you following the instructions found on this page?
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201372

4. Db8 macrumors newbie

5. fnatix macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I tried to install El Capitan on a MacBook late 2007, but failed ...
    I've used MacPostFactor (2.0.1) to make a bootable Stick with El Capitan (freshly loaded from App Store), works fine.
    If I try to boot from the stick, Installation starts but after 20% my MacBook suddenly makes a restart and bring me back to my main partition (Lion). If I try to install El Capitan with MacPostFactor on a second partition, I get Error 1. Anyone got an idea or a tipp for me?

6. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

Follow the method 3 in this thread. MPF 2.0.1 doesn't work very well with El Cap. I had the same experience as you had with MPF.

7. fnatix, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

fnatix macrumors newbie

I tried method 3 on my MB2,1 without any success :( My external SSD with a Copy from El Capitan 10.11.6 wont boot, got a the apple logo, and after 10 seconds my MB reboots. Any Idea?

Edit: I did copy a fresh installed El Capitan from the App Store and now its working perfectly on my MB2,1 from Mid 2007 - Great! Thanks for the great Guide :)

8. teepisutt macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iMac5,1(Late 2007) Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM. From what I've read, it should met the requirement using method 3v3. I have read through the method and about to gather material to perform such tasks but I'd like something.

And here is what I'd like to ask . If I using Method 3 then will it be installed internally? or I'll have to use an external drive forever to use el capitann.

If I successfully installed el capitan, will I be able to use program like Skype?

Thanks!!

9. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

You can always start your iMac in Target Disk Mode, use a firewire 400 cable to connect it to a supported Mac, and do all of your work that way. The iMac, in essence, becomes an external firewire drive, and you won't have to take your iMac apart to replace the drive. That's how I installed it on three different Macbooks.

Not sure about Skype, since I don't use it.

10. teepisutt macrumors newbie

I can't find the supported Mac that still suport firewire400 though. Even If I could manage to find a cable, still, need to find the adapter(thunderbolt perhaps?).

What other options do I have?

11. teepisutt macrumors newbie

Look like I need a Thunderbolt - Firewire 800 Adapter Then looking for Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 cable

Am I correct?

12. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

That would probably do it. I cannot confirm this as I haven't tried it. I have a 2017 Macbook Pro and only a USB dongle, and it's too new to run El Cap. I used my 2009 MBP, and just swapped hard drives to install El Cap.

13. teepisutt macrumors newbie

But you use Macbook Pro 2017 to install el cap in other machines?

Could you tell me your process again please.

Second question in case I can't find any cable. If I take the harddrive out of old iMac . Then, put it in HDD Docking storage and connect to el cap machines. Then, I follow method 3v3 and put the formatted HDD back into the old iMac and it should do the same trick right?

Thanks

14. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

No. I use my 2009, which IS supported, to install El Cap.

There are a couple of different ways that you can connect the drive to another machine and do your terminal work following method 3v3. You can remove your drive from your iMac, connect it to a supported machine via USB, install El Cap, and do your terminal work in the supported machine, then install the drive back in the iMac. You can also connect via firewire from a supported machine to an unsupported machine and do it that way. I installed my drive into my 2009, installed El Cap, then connected my Mac Pro to it via firewire and did my terminal work that way.

15. teepisutt macrumors newbie

I did it!! Thank you!!

It’s running on El Capitann now, however, there might be something wrong with the graphic. When I try open video on youtube, the video is lagging( refreshing frame in the video is like 1 frame per second of some sort) while the audio is fine. Is this is somesort of known issues?

16. swamprock macrumors 6502

swamprock

What does your About This Mac say with regards to the video memory? If it says something like "6mb", then your video kexts aren't properly installed. Take a screenshot of your About This Mac and paste it here, and we'll see if that's causing your video issue.

17. teepisutt macrumors newbie

Nah... I think I did choose my kexts correctly though. I did install skype and jt gave back bizarre output. When I was doing video calls both my and opponent video turn black. But the cam is still working, the opponent can see my video perfectly. Just this old imac side that can’t see anything even my own camera. But it only happened in video calls, when I setting my camera or doing video message everything working perfectly.

This happen on Skype 7. For Skype 8, after install its show blank log in screen.

Attached Files:

18. swamprock macrumors 6502

swamprock

Ah ok. I'm not familiar with El Cap installs on that particular iMac and video chip. It could just be a peculiarity with that combination.

19. zappaesque macrumors member

zappaesque

I think there are some known issues with unsupported El Capitan installs and unaccelerated video, which is what is probably causing the issues @teepisutt is experiencing. I also have not used Skype, but I've had no problems with YouTube under unsupported El Capitan except with any 60fps videos (720p60 and up). Maybe try some non-60fps videos, @teepisutt

20. teepisutt macrumors newbie

I have done some more troubleshooting. The Youtube video lagging only appeared when doing full screen mode, espescially when the ads pop-up is appearing or move my cursur around. If play full screen with nothing distrurbing it went fine.

About the Skype, I have also try other video calls application. Amazingly, samething happen the live video won't show but the other side of the line can see live vid of iMac. So I think the problem is in the video codec of some sorts.

21. X-Housed macrumors newbie

I have video issues as well. When i open a 4K or a Full HD Video in Youtube i have massive Framedrops in the first minute of the video. After a while the frame losses get less. Buffer and Networkconnectivity are ok. In the activity monitor i see the VTdecoderXPCservice taking over 100% CPU.
    I tested it with Firefox and Chrome with the same result (in Chrome it's the Chromehelperservice).
    The same Videos are running smoove on the same machine in Windows 10 Bootcamp with Firefox (VP8&VP9 fully supported). I know that Apple don't support VP9 so the codec and resolution changes to .m4a 1080p but that should not be a problem at all. I assume that the OS don't use Hardwareaccelaration of the GPU to decode the videos. Technically my Radeon 5770 GPU shoud display up to 4k resolutions. Do anyone experience the same issues and how can i make sure that hardwareaccelaration is turned on so i can get youtube running smooth?

My setup:
    MacPro 1,1 flashed to 2,1 (2x Xeon 5355)
    24GB RAM
    Radeon Vapor-x 5770 (flashed with bootscreen and recognized by OS)
    OS on SSD: 10.11.6 w. 2017-005 update -> fresh install

22. swamprock macrumors 6502

swamprock

Try installing Perian. That would take care of some of the missing codecs. Maybe that would help fix your issues...?

23. X-Housed macrumors newbie

Tested with a nVidia 680GT 2GB OSX and Web Driver, frames dropped brutally in youtube/safari.
    Video 1080p@30fps
    Would be nice if someone with the same or similar configuration can confirm that youtube videos are working smooth or not.

24. okmacok, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

okmacok macrumors newbie

okmacok

Hello,

I have this mac with a 64 bit processor :
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-core-2-duo-2.16-white-13-mid-2007-specs.html
    Everymac.com learnt me I could have a 64 bit EFI.

Then I read in the method 3 from page 1 :
    "3- Boot.efi we need. There are two possibilities:
    If you have an EFI64 unsupported Mac (like MB4,1, for example), you can use the EFI64 boot.efi El Capitan has got by default. You should follow, as mentioned, method 3 v2.

If you have an EFI32 Mac, you need this boot.efi, designed to always disable SIP, created by @skyfly555 , taking as base the boot.efi created by @vsbalint70 , who created his boot.efi modifying the code from Pike R Alpha original boot.efi."

My question is :
    Do I have EFI32 or EFI64 Mac ?

rEFInd tells me I have 32bit but Everymac tells me I have 64bit :eek:

25. TimothyR734 macrumors member

TimothyR734

Most Macs 2006 or newer are 64 bit but you can go to Macupdate website and download 32-or64 bit kernel mode selector once install it will tell you if you have a 32 bit or 64 bit processor, same with your efi it will tell you if your macOS kernel is set to boot in 32 or 64 or if Apple allows for booting in 64

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.