Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psymac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
So this means the 64gb will be less demand and will have a better chance to be in stock for preorder?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That's interesting data, especially for those saying that no one wants the 8/8+ or that it was a flop.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Does anyone know how much of the 64gb will likely be useable space? If too much isn’t taken up by system stuff, I can probably make 64 work, otherwise I’ll have to go with the 256.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I am going with the 64. I have a 256 7 Plus right now and I only use up about 36 GB's of space and I could easily cut that down if I really needed to. Looking forward to getting it on release day.

78Bandit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
No different from the launch of the iPhone 6. Storage options were 16, 64, and 128. The only reason for not making 32GB the base amount is to force people into buying the higher priced model.

64GB of storage on a $1,000 phone is ridiculous with no 128GB option or at least a memory card slot like the Galaxy S8 available.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I can understand why people would want 256, but 64 will be plenty for me. All my music is in the cloud and I have my entire movie library on Plex. I usually keep a couple of albums locally and don't really enjoy watching movies on a tiny screen, so I might keep one or two that I'm planning to watch on my phone. I'll load up an iPad if I plan on watching movies.

But I have friends who have large music libraries and want to keep them on their device, and that it just fine. We all have different use cases.

I'm actually happy that so many want the 256 as it increases the likelihood that I will get 2 64s for the first ship outs.

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Agree with others. I would not at all need 256, and only got 128 with the 7+ (and have 50 GB free). Apple is just ripping us off by not offering 128 MB as an option. 256 does not give me "better" or "higher quality", just costs more.
Sure 128 MB would be fantastic, but what I’m really after is a 640 kB model.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
That's interesting .... reading on here, I thought the 8/Plus was a dead goose and I and about 10 others were the only people on the planet that wanted one

Everyone is waiting for the X, except 72 people out of 100
Members here aren't the typical buyer - key point to remember. Many (most ?) that are due for an upgrade have good, "new" phone available NOW and are getting them.

Reactions: ForumChick

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's why I wished more OEMs, not just Apple, used SD slots. You have to pay egregious "upgrade prices" to get more memory when it's just profit maximization with very little extra manufacturing cost to increase ROM memory. The iPhone X is stupidly unaffordable for many now and going 256gb is even worse. A 128gb iPhone X at $999 is a little more appealing.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I've already got the iPhone 8 Plus and loving it. I admit I purchased it for the wireless charging. I plan on Pre-ordering the iPhone X but quite honestly its a big question mark whether or not I will keep it. I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 8. At this point it doesn't matter how long it takes me to get the iPhone X.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I can understand why people would want 256, but 64 will be plenty for me. All my music is in the cloud and I have my entire movie library on Plex. I usually keep a couple of albums locally and don't really enjoy watching movies on a tiny screen, so I might keep one or two that I'm planning to watch on my phone. I'll load up an iPad if I plan on watching movies.

But I have friends who have large music libraries and want to keep them on their device, and that it just fine. We all have different use cases.

I'm actually happy that so many want the 256 as it increases the likelihood that I will get 2 64s for the first ship outs.
Every time I get on a plane I wonder what you people do. You must use onboard entertainment.
I have my entire music library and several movies or TV shows loaded onto my phone.
I also have a good portion of my photos and videos local but only because I have plenty of space.

ComRadMac

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Oh, that's probably just because 64gb at this point is egregiously insulting, beyond pointless, and utterly hamstrings the iPhoneX.

Apple has absolutely no interest in you buying the 64gb version, and have done everything they can to make it a fake option.

High frame-rate 4K video and 12mp photos fill up 64gb pretty quickly. So quickly it's a joke, actually. A cruel, greedy, completely-Apple-like joke.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I can't think of any device or computer that our family has ever owned that we haven't benefitted from having the maximum amount of storage. On the rare occasion that someone has said, "Oh, I don't need any more than.........", it has turned out that they end up spending a lot of time deleting things from that device/computer, as it fills up with upgraded software, music, movies, TV shows, Apps, photos, e-mails, etc. Someone in the business once told us to get the maximum amount of storage you can afford and that advice has been solid. Even when we purchased a Time Capsule a few years ago, we got the 3TB, thinking that was a little ridiculous. Well, guess what?....that amount of storage backup has been invaluable. So to spend an extra 10% on an already expensive phone to get sufficient storage for all the Apple AI apps that are coming, seems reasonable at this point.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
But how many would have bought an updated 4" phone, the fabled iPhone SE-X?

Well, that really depends. I am ONLY interested in a 4" device, I can't handle the larger devices, I just have no interest in them. However, paying for an SE-X? That really depends - Would I pay the same for a 4" SE-X as what a 5.5" costs? Nope. The SE-X would have to be proportionally cheaper for me to pay for it.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
I am going with the 64. I have a 256 7 Plus right now and I only use up about 36 GB's of space and I could easily cut that down if I really needed to. Looking forward to getting it on release day.
119GB used of 256GB on mine. And that’s after “cleaning it up” because I ran out of space. LOL.

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
So this means the 64gb will be less demand and will have a better chance to be in stock for preorder?

That'd be lovely but I think there's plenty of demand for both. 64GB is more than enough for me, I stream w/ Spotify and Plex, I use iCloud Photo Library with optimize storage. It's plenty.

Reactions: tooloud10

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
People are going to love wireless charging. I have had it for 4 or 5 years now and it is one of those things you wonder how you did without. In the last 5 months with my S8 I think I have charged less than 10 times with a cable. I have a couple of chargers at home (bedside table and on drawer where I put my car keys) and one on my office desk. I just drop my phone on the charger and when I grab it to go it is at 100%.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
5% for 6s+ and 4% for 6s
3% for SE
we're talking about devices that are 2 years old, and in case of SE, 1.5 years crammed in a body that's 5 years old.

There is plenty more demand for 4" just not the current 4" model
65% of people want a 2017 model (8/8+/X combined)
12% is pretty paltry for 7 and 7+ equally and 24% combined, too

Not surprised that fewer people want even older devices In case of A9 devices
Well said. It seems that Mansu944 had his butt hurt with 4 inches. /s

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
You do realise everyone who wants an SE has already bought one?

Also, we don't want a 4" phone, we want a 4.7" display in a phone the same size as an SE.

Speak for yourself, I want the technology used to enable a 4" screen in a case that's smaller. If you want a 4.7" display, buy an iPhone 8.

Also, I wish there was a way to have "local" iCloud - So you have your music library on your computer/HomePod/iPod touch/something with 512GB of storage at home, constantly on the internet - Enabling you to store your library at home and carry a 16GB device around day to day. Kind of like an SD card but... streamed.

Reactions: HVDynamo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.