Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who is your wireless carrier?

• AT&T

Votes: 114 32.7%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 91 26.1%
  • Verizon

Votes: 104 29.8%
  • Sprint

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Other (post in comments)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Verizon. In my area its hit and miss between them and AT&T. Where I get poor coverage ATT might be good and vice versa. Admittedly ATT seems to have better speeds but not enough to concern myself over. Typically with a fast ping you won't notice much difference over 5mbps.

Currently now that Verizon offers VoLTE (voice and data simultaneously) and Wifi calling (eliminating dead zones at home or work) I'm much happier. Wifi calling has really saved my ass a couple of times when I'm on a site that has no reception but has good wifi. However in a neighboring county their LTE just out right sucks so driving through or around with VoLTE on results in constant dropped calls which is obnoxious and reminiscent of late 90's cell phone reception...

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I've jumped around basically all of them in the Midwest. I started with US Cellular 17 years ago on my parents plan, moved to Cingular. Tested Sprint for a couple weeks. Went back to AT&T to get the original iPhone. Got sick of them not deploying 3G in my area, so went BACK to US Cellular for a couple months (using an HTC). Then Verizon got the iPhone so I went to Verizon. AT&T finally upgraded to 3G so I went back to them. Tried US Cellular again on their LTE network, ended back at AT&T and have been there ever since. Have Verizon on my work phone, and a free 200MB T-Mobile iPad plan using Apple SIM. (Barely usable where I am, T-Mobile needs to step it up in WI).

tl;dr: AT&T rocks in my area.

Why not get the freedom pop AT&T LTE SIM that comes with at least 200 MB of free data every month?

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
Can anyone confirm how well T-Mobile is in Westchester and rockland county NY ?

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Verizon. I've tested all 4 carriers over the past year. Verizon, att and T-Mobile work well in the metro and surrounding areas. However Verizon works best in all the areas I spend the most time. I use a lot of data and make a lot of calls. So for me, quality is more important than saving a little with slightly less than stellar performance. Verizon rarely has fallen out with very fast data or calls. T-Mobile is also very fast, but I lost quite a number calls than I'm willing to tolerate. I rarely lost calls with att, but the data speed has declined over the past year. Sprint was subpar all the way around in the areas I tested over a number of days.

I still retain my original att unlimited data iPad account.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Curious to see with the ongoing feud between Verizon and T-Mobile if the poll numbers will change. I know I recently switched to T-Mobile from AT&T.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Verizon. I've tested all 4 carriers over the past year. Verizon, att and T-Mobile work well in the metro and surrounding areas. However Verizon works best in all the areas I spend the most time. I use a lot of data and make a lot of calls. So for me, quality is more important than saving a little with slightly less than stellar performance. Verizon rarely has fallen out with very fast data or calls. T-Mobile is also very fast, but I lost quite a number calls than I'm willing to tolerate. I rarely lost calls with att, but the data speed has declined over the past year. Sprint was subpar all the way around in the areas I tested over a number of days.

I still retain my original att unlimited data iPad account.
Which phone did you test on sprint?

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
T-Mobile all the way. Switched from ATT. Never been happier. Best bang for your buck!

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
T-Mobile.

$120 gets my mom and I:
  • Unlimited 4G LTE Data
  • Unlimited Talk
  • Unlimited Text
  • Free International Data
  • T-Mobile Tuesdays
  • Faster speeds than any other character both at home and at my university
And on Friday our bill will go down to $100 ($90 flat after my mom's Kickback, since taxes are included), and there won't be a hotspot speed restriction (I'd rather 10GB of LTE than unlimited 2G), and HD video will be back.

In fact, I'm thinking that I'll get my iPhone 7 screen repaired, and then get an iPhone 7+ on Jump, since our bill will still be overall cheaper.

Everywhere I go with T-Mobile there's not a single place I don't get any service where the other carriers also don't struggle. There are a few places where I do see the "No Service" string, but in those places, Sprint and AT&T are usually out or on Edge/1X, and Verizon may be 1 bar of 1X or 3G.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I am thinking of ditching my AT&T UDP for either T-mobile or Verizon. Does anyone have any experience with T-mobile in Southern California - more specifically West LA? San Diego, La Quinta?

chevelleguy3

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2013
Mckinney, TX
I'm on Verizon and have been for the last 5 years or so. I switched from AT&T and would never go back to them. With Verizon, I have service pretty much anywhere and very fast data. I had T-Mobile prior to AT&T and it was a horrible experience.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I see this poll is geared toward US only.

AT&T, Project Fi, and China Mobile.

I also have Iridium and Inmarsat sat phones.

Illumiiinati

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
I'm using " Du" in Dubai. We have only 2 network providers here Etisalat and Du. Coverage is kind of Ok with both. I'm tired using Eitisalat so just changed to try Du.

ribbon

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
Question for people who live in the New York metropolitan area: I've started using AT&T a few months ago and the service is a lot worse than I thought: at home (Hoboken) I'm usually with 1-2 dots of service, and even when I get to 4-5 when leaving the apartment or walking around NYC the LTE speed is REALLY bad (6-8 Mbps if I'm lucky). I'm considering switching to Verizon. Would it improve? I've gone to a couple of VZW stores to perform speed test with the iPhones they have there and I've always gotten 20+ Mbps...

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I see this poll is geared toward US only.

AT&T, Project Fi, and China Mobile.

I also have Iridium and Inmarsat sat phones.
Well it seems that's where the highest concentration of people is, and could you imagine the list of carriers if we listed every country? :confused:

Photography

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Question for people who live in the New York metropolitan area: I've started using AT&T a few months ago and the service is a lot worse than I thought: at home (Hoboken) I'm usually with 1-2 dots of service, and even when I get to 4-5 when leaving the apartment or walking around NYC the LTE speed is REALLY bad (6-8 Mbps if I'm lucky). I'm considering switching to Verizon. Would it improve? I've gone to a couple of VZW stores to perform speed test with the iPhones they have there and I've always gotten 20+ Mbps...

Yes. New York is a Verizon city by far and has the best coverage of the four big carriers there.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yes. New York is a Verizon city by far and has the best coverage of the four big carriers there.

Not for me. Verizon is great in Manhattan. So is T-mobile and AT&T. Sprint sucks everywhere . In Queens and Brooklyn, Verizon has too many dead spots when it comes to data. And many of those spots get dropped calls as well.

John9721

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
Sprint here, coverage where I live is perfectly fine, LTE speeds are pretty on par with Verizon. I've had everyone from Sprint to Verizon to US Cellular and everything in between, and to be honest my experience with Sprint had been the best out of any.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
T-Mobile all the way. I live in NYC and travel all over the USA. I got rid of AT&T and haven't looked back.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I was reluctantly with Verizon. I was paying $170 for unlimited talk, text, and 3 GB of data.

Now I pay $172 for unlimited everything and data with Verizon's new plan so I'm a happier camper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.