Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I just want a 13" pro with the new form factor, the bigger battery and a display with the same resolution as the 13" air. Any more than that isnt worthwhile and is just a battery drain. I preferred my ipad 2 over my new ipad, all retina did was make it hot, thicker, heavier and take forever to charge, the display on the ipad2 was nice as it was

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
I see the macbook Pro retina starting at 1499.00 in Britain, that will probably be with the same CPU as the top end 13" but with 8GB and 256GB.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I would actually love a 30inch iMac with Retina.
Keep the resolution if it was 27inch, I dont mind :)
But add a non glare 30 inch TB option ;)

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
I see the macbook Pro retina starting at 1499.00 in Britain, that will probably be with the same CPU as the top end 13" but with 8GB and 256GB.

With the current top-ish end 15 inch rMBP I could fly to America and buy it and still save money compered to the UK price lol. >.<

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
The quote that there are 3 iMac models, with the top end model having issues, is what I found interesting as there are currently 2 models.

Hopefully that means the the 2 models without problems are replacements for the current models with a redesign including the reduced glare set-up of the rMBP. And that the 3rd model is a new retina model.

I'm not too worried about the chin as it allows space for decent speakers, but it would be nice if it was reduced. More important is a reduced bezel, because a smaller side bezel reduces the footprint of the machine.

Last edited:

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
2.6 / 16 / 768 rMBP in US = $3499.
" / " / " rMBP in UK = £2858.99 = $4566.
Return ticket London-NY = ~$700.

4566-3499-700 = $367 saved and a free trip to New York.

:confused:

----------

No Mac mini ?

I noticed that too Mac Mini rumours seem non existent atm

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
2.6 / 16 / 768 rMBP in US = $3499.
" / " / " rMBP in UK = £2858.99 = $4566.
Return ticket London-NY = ~$700.

4566-3499-700 = $367 saved and a free trip to New York.

:confused:

That is if you can get it through customs without declaring it. Otherwise, you'll need to pay VAT on it when you get it back to the UK.

You can't compare the US price without tax to the UK price with VAT included. How many times does this have to be said ?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
A new iMac design would be awesome!

Current design is fantastic, but new Apple design is ALWAYS welcome! :D

Agreed. A MBP style retina screen with reduced glare, edge to edge display with just a very thin band around the screen and no chin would be my preference.

They could fit a slightly larger screen in the same footprint. Also some form of height adjustment would be nice rather than the current tilt.

looptrick

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
I don´t think, that they release an 21,5" and an 27" iMac separately. It also makes no sense, because the 27" iMacs are not available at amazon and the most Apple Stores. I think the problem with the 27" screens is the reason for this late refresh of the iMacs. And I am sure, they will be released on the 9/12.

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
13 inch rmbp would be amazing. The only thing that would hold me back is that it would have the equivalent real estate of a 1280x800 screen instead of 1440x900 like the 13 inch air has.

Keep in mind that the 13" rMBP should have the higher resolutions available just like the 15" rMBP where you're able to scale up to 1920x1200

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
It does say three new models so in thoery they could do the 2 updated 27" iMacs pretty soon and the top end (Probably Retina) would be the delayed one. This would make snece as there is a problem with the panel etc...

Hopefully that is the case as I am not fussed about retina as I think the screen is ok now and retina will cost a fortune I would guess...

Agreed 100%. Though I suspect the models would go similarly to the MBP: 21" ("low end"), 27" ("mid range"), 21" retina ("high end"). A 27" retina is likely to be way too expensive with current panel manufacturing capabilities. As it is, 21" retina is likely to be more expensive than the 27" non-retina; thus considered "high end".

That's all fine with me, as long as the "mid range" 27" still has the maximum CPU available to it. And if the it's one of the two "lower end" models that does come out this month, I'm good. :cool: Don't care about retina or any kind of redesign - just bump specs to current 2012 levels because I refuse to pay top dollar for 16-month-old hardware (unless a redesign came with 8 RAM slots - I'd pay good money for that!).

jpdunford

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
That is if you can get it through customs without declaring it. Otherwise, you'll need to pay VAT on it when you get it back to the UK.

If you open it whilst still in the US and have it in "hand luggage" you get through fine, same as everyone else using a laptop on the plane. I have done it before in the past.

You can't compare the US price without tax to the UK price with VAT included. How many times does this have to be said ?

No but I doubt VAT in the US is like 31% or whatever the difference is.

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Maybe the three iMac models are 21.5" and 27" models with the old resolutions and an additional single Retina (4k) model?

That would follow the same pattern that they used with the Macbook Pro, and would allow them to charge more like $2500-$3000 for the Retina iMac.

That makes sense to me given that they're having display problems with the "high end" iMac.

The Retina model might even be a new size, like 24" or 30".

This.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
1. Mac Pro is 2.5 years old
HPs Sandy Bridge Xeon workstations (one or two CPUs, like in the MP) appeared in March 2012. Not sooner.

2. iMac is 1.5 years old
This computer has well known production & heat problems, so the delay is normal.

3. MacBook Pro Retina has image retention on LG screens and no way I'm playing lottery
This is LGs problem, not Apples.

4. MacBook Air is major lottery for a decent Samsung screen. I'm stuck with an LG right now
See above.

The Mac Mini is the only Mac I trust right now.
Really? The Sandy Bridge Mac minis have a lot of heat problems, and a weak cooling system. A new cooling system and the Ivy Bridge processors should solve these problems. The internal power supply is also a problem.

fabianjj

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2007
Good question. I have no idea.

I personally think they would use the same dual core CPU from the non-retina MBP 13 to keep a competitive price. But they will have to add a dedicated GPU, because the Intel HD Graphics 4000 is not powerful enough (I guess) to handle the retina display and its high resolution.

I seem to recall Intel bragging about the new Ivy Bridge (or third generation core-processors as Intel wants peoe to say) integrated graphics being able to handle anything up to 4K. Although I don't remember whether or not that only applied to the desktop versions or not.

GoSooners

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
The quote that there are 3 iMac models, with the top end model having issues, is what I found interesting as there are currently 2 models.

Hopefully that means the the 2 models without problems are replacements for the current models with a redesign including the reduced glare set-up of the rMBP. And that the 3rd model is a new retina model.

I'm not too worried about the chin as it allows space for decent speakers, but it would be nice if it was reduced. More important is a reduced bezel, because a smaller side bezel reduces the footprint of the machine.

This is a very good point. This would be somewhat similar to the Macbook Pro and retina MBP rollout in June. Refresh the current iMacs with Ivy Bridge and roll out retina with the higher end (~27" model) but at a later date. This could probably mean a 27" Thunderbolt display with upgraded pixels be released at the same time.

Keep in mind that retina classificaiton doesn't necessarily mean doubling the existing resolution. As someone said previously, even a 150% increase in resolution for the 27" iMac or TBD could possibly provide retina-esque viewing.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
But, how much do you guys think it's going to cost?

Apparently, the Retina version is from 22% to 27% more expensive:

MBP 15' (base model) -> $1800
Retina MBP 15' (base model) -> $2200
Diference: 22%

MBP 15' (top model) -> $2200
Retina MBP 15' (base model) -> $2800
Diference: 27%

If the 13' model follows the same diference:

MBP 13' (base model) -> $1200
Retina MBP 13' (base model) -> $1500
Diference: 25%

MBP 13' (top model) -> $1500
Retina MBP 13' (base model) -> $1900
Diference: 27%

Yeah, you're wrong. Try building a non-retina 15" out with the same specs as a retina in the online store.

Spoiler alert: it's cheaper to go with the retina when you're comparing similarly spec'ed MBPs

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The fact there are delays with displays indicates they are likely much higher resolution than before. The 13" MB uses the same board as the Mini, so we should expect a quiet release of the mac-Mini, an announcement of the rMBP13, and some sort of discussion of the riMac. On top of all that, iPhone5 and a plethora of iPods and updates to the plugs.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Yeah, you're wrong. Try building a non-retina 15" out with the same specs as a retina in the online store.

Spoiler alert: it's cheaper to go with the retina when you're comparing similarly spec'ed MBPs

Once you include in an external superdrive, thunderbolt to gb ethernet and thunderbolt to FW800 to the rMPD you are just about the same. Or are you not really comparing "similarly spec'ed"? The equation changes completely if you get a MBP and do your own upgrades to SSD and larger memory.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Think I'll skip rMBP-1.0, too many problems with ghosting, stuck pixels, higher power consumption, and an underpowered dGPU (only 1GB RAM). Waiting for a better low-power display technology, IGZO and 10 hour battery life.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If you open it whilst still in the US and have it in "hand luggage" you get through fine, same as everyone else using a laptop on the plane. I have done it before in the past.

Border fraud. Nice.

No but I doubt VAT in the US is like 31% or whatever the difference is.

It's not Apple's fault that your country charges excessive tax. They shouldn't have to take a profit hit because of it, so comparing prices without tax to a price with VAT included remains disingenuous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.