Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I am really interested in how it handles heat. Will it be as quiet as most of the current models? If so, that might make it interesting for me. My Euro launch model's fans always start running a few minutes into it, and while it's not loud, it's definitely audible, especially when watching a quieter movie.

EDIT: No sd card slot?? Bummer, I actually use that one quite a lot.

MacMonster1985

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2009
I just read about it here

Personally I think the PS3 has been overpriced with little focus from the start...

PS3 is overpriced in the same way Macs are overpriced. You get what you pay for. The total cost of Xbox 360 is way way higher just like a PC. You spend weeks fixing it, you pay through your nose for standard add ons. XBL is overrated.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Why should online gaming be free? Cost of servers, IT, bandwidth etc etc.....no, Ill pay for a decent service like XBL. At least I know when my friends are online, what they are playing, can cross game chat, and have a good following for most games online. So far I find gaming on PS3 pretty spotty if the game isn't new. Then again, I ONLY buy Triple A games, so online gaming for me is usually pretty good a couple years later.

You haven't used PSN much have you? I know when my friends are online via the in-game XMB, which also happens to list what game they're playing at that moment in time. I know Sony also have chat support. Sure, XBL has a few extra features, but small ones at best - not really worth the yearly cost. If Sony can run their network for free, why can't MS?

EDIT: No sd card slot?? Bummer, I actually use that one quite a lot.

Card readers have been removed from the PS3 for a long long time.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
lol ones like a 2000 dollar commitment and ones not

hows that a hard choice?

Haha I was joking. I'm just making fun of the people who actually spend money on just a PHONE. Grab an iPod touch for godsakes. It's an iPhone, without the phone. Tether your phone to your iPod touch for internet? Then you've got almost an iPhone. ;)

Hopefully the $299 pricepoint will finally entice people to buy the PS3. Right now is a great time to buy too, since there are plenty of triple-A games out. I was disappointed to hear that MS mini conference was to talk about Fable III. Lame. I was hoping for something better... :confused:

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Haha true about the PSP Go!. I could understand it being $199, but not anymore than that. But then again, portables are always priced pretty high, and give crappier specs than non-portables.

Think of iPhone vs a Mac mini. Similar comparisons can be made for PS3 vs PSP Go!. Different market segments. iPhone without contract is like what? $499/$599? That vs a Mac mini, the cheapest Mac. Pretty much same price. And people are buying up the iPhones! ;)

The question is, which would you get? An iPhone with a contract, or a PS3? That's a damn hard choice...

Yeahhh but an iPhone (or any phone) fills a function that a computer doesn't, it lets you be in contact with other people. Not to mention phones are inflated by carriers to dissuade you from buying without a contract to subsidize the cost, how is an iPhone worth DOUBLE the price of an iPod touch? Because of a few extra bits? Hardly. With gaming, at least the DS offers a wide range of games that are vastly different than a console does, on the PSP, many of the games try too hard to be just like their big brother. Sorny is trying to fix this with stuff like the MiniS, which is awesome, but still doesn't change the fact that PSP Go! is too damn much for an experience that isn't radically different than you can get (better) on the PS Triple (which blows because I want one... DD FTW)

PS3 is overpriced in the same way Macs are overpriced. You get what you pay for. The total cost of Xbox 360 is way way higher just like a PC. You spend weeks fixing it, you pay through your nose for standard add ons. XBL is overrated.

Isn't Apple the one who charges hundreds (sometimes even over a thousand) for RAM upgrades that can be purchased at computer store for a fraction of the cost? And how much is that 4850 card from Apple? ($250) how much from my local PC store? ($130). Apple hoses you just as bad as MS does.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Bless ;)

XBL does what it is intended to do. Voice communication & clan's work far better on the 360's Live Service than on the PS3. Some people are into that and that's what they are paying for.

'Total Cost' of a 360 is however much, or however as little; as a person chooses to spend.

Complain about the Multiple SKU's and fault rate as much as you like, it is still outselling the PS3 at this present time.

It will be interesting to see how the PS3 Slim does to relaunch the product, but one could easily find an argument to say that 3 Years into the lifespan of the PS3, a relaunch won't set the world on fire.

And again much like your continuing PC / Mac argument. The 360 pretty much always gets the best version of any multi platform game. At this stage of 'BOTH' machines life cycles developers should be used to hardware on both systems (we can't carry on excusing developers and difficult to program hardware), that it is looking increasingly certain that nothing is going to change and the PS3 version of games will tend to be inferior.

This is my opinion based on the nearly 4 Years of owning a 360, and nearly 3 Years of owning 2 launch PS3's. I will undoubtably buy a PS3 Slim, but bad mouthing the 360 just for sake of it is really silly, and seems like silly bitterness fanboyism - especially as it continues to outsell despite it's horrendous failure rate, lesser technology and expensive peripherals.....

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Seriously sony, Avatars, animated themes and 3 PSN spots in the XMB are your great idea for FW 3.0? Damn, fire your staff.

You mean the same way MS implemented useless features like an avatar market(buying a light saber for a damn avatar you can't control), facebook etc..its being done on both platforms and the consumers are eating it up. Look at Home and the money they are making of it.

I refuse to play for online because majority of LIVE games are P2P and its not as good as people say plus I have no need for the bells and whistles(which is good to have but useless for me) All that matters to me is the server and how smooth the game can play....which PSN is on par and sometimes beats LIVE considering PSN exclusives run dedicated servers.

I don't like seeing people down one platform but turn around and praise the other for doing the exact same thing(This doesn't apply to you, its in general)

PS. Multiplat games do have a edge on the 360(some) but the edge is so slight its not worth mentioning....sometimes theres that odd exception but if you have eyes like MRU that can notice a dust texture is pixelated then you need help ;p

Bless

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Woohoo! Now I can get a PS3 and MGS4. "I've been waiting for this!";)

I've been looking around for an affordable Blu-Ray player too. So, two birds...:cool:

As for the average gamer being depressed... They surveyed the Seattle-Tacoma area. SEATTLE, the suicide capital of america. Of course they're gonna get a skewed data regarding mental states.:rolleyes:

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Woohoo! Now I can get a PS3 and MGS4. "I've been waiting for this!";)

I've been looking around for an affordable Blu-Ray player too. So, two birds...:cool:

As for the average gamer being depressed... They surveyed the Seattle-Tacoma area. SEATTLE, the suicide capital of america. Of course they're gonna get a skewed data regarding mental states.:rolleyes:

Thats what i did and metal gear 4 turned out to be one of greatest movie/games ive ever played!!!!! Breathtaking.

I dont like the redesign at all though, matt finish is not my things and i think the new font and buttons on disc lip look awful. But looks are preference at end of day!!

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Ahhhh, I'm actually considering buying this...

But the lack of backwards compatibility...might make me consider buying the old PS3 at the same price.

But, I want SF4, and Justin Wong gave me his XBox Live account and told me he'd help me out of I ever got the game... >_> Which to get, which to get...

My main pause is that I still don't own an HDTV. LOL

Oh, hi again guys, I'm back! :)

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Already pre-ordered it on Amazon. I already have a 60GB PS3 that I now need to get rid of. I don't use the card reader, I don't have any PS2 games, the USB ports don't concern me. Smaller, quieter and more energy efficient is big plus to me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Since I only use my PS2 for Guitar Hero I can't justify buying this. I wish it were backwards compatible. Does anyone know if the current PS3 has this capability still?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.