Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Argh, this just got me too. And half an hour on Apple support didn’t help as the guys there didn’t know anything about beta software. Double frustration as I’d asked specifically in store before trading my iPhone 7plus in. I had considered getting out of the upgrade program and paying off the residue on the finance and then selling the 7plus. If I’d known that I’d have restore problems would definitely taken that route. Hey ho, lesson learned. The fact it took the folks in the store 3 goes to find out if I’d be able to restore despite being on beta 11.2 and getting it wrong is a frustration tho

The store staff aren’t necessarily devs.

What’s the problem? You have backups, so you lost nothing.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
You claim to be a developer. You should be smarter than you're acting and know how this works. You should have noted the fact that there was no beta for X released (I certainly did). This has happened in the past too.

But then again, you agreed to the developer agreement which CLEARLY states not to run it on your personal device and only install betas on a test device. You then agree to those terms when you install the beta profile and again when you install the beta.

So you've stated numerous times that you understand the risks and now you're on MacRumors saying you didn't understand the risks?
did you half read what i wrote? my fuss is that they should of said something prior. I do have multiple backups as do most developers, I do a backup prior to every build. Its just a unnecessary waste of time that could of been avoided.

Reactions: bunnicula

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
QUESTION: If i setup as NEW will my imessage, pics copy over once i enter my icloud info?

I dunno about iMessage. If you have iCloud Photo set up, your photos will.

I haven’t done a fresh install in a few cycles. I’m a bit curious about iMessage, too.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
most of us, if not all do have backups. As a developer we (at least) myself backup regularly. All I'm saying is it would have been nice if Apple said something, so that we could prep our phones prior. A week old backup my not be okay for most. There is a work around but its just hours wasted that could of been avoided if they would have given some noticed. My fuss has zero to do with backups, and more to do with letting your developer community know
I am confused. What exactly are you thinking Apple should have let you know? That you cannot restore a newer backup to an older iOS version? As a developer you should already know that.

What if you manually back up and restore from itunes instead of icloud,would that work?
iTunes is certainly more flexible but the issue is with new to old so that wont totally help. You can potentially edit the info.plist file and change the build and version# entries in the file (make a copy of the entire folder first for safe keeping) and that may work. It used to on same major builds. But with the X being a different animal it may not work for it.
Best option is "upgrade" the old device using the 11.1 ipsw file update trick, get a new backup afterwards then restore that backup.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
I sorta expected this so not testing beta on my iPhone 7Plus but at 11.0.3 not even 11.1 yet keep ignoring it ;-)

So I keep forgetting what happens do they in iTunes note that there is 11.1 and let you install that first since the X has 11.0.2 and my phone backups are at 11.0.3? I will have to read carefully when I plug my X into iTunes ;-)
Not really sure with iTunes, I don't use that anymore unless I have to (which is never XD)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There’s a free public beta program that’s aimed at everyday users who want to try out new features. It’s not exclusively for developers on testing devices like it was in the past.
Pretty sure that goes through the explanation of what it is and what the risks are and how to prepare for it with backups and all that.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
There’s a free public beta program that’s aimed at everyday users who want to try out new features. It’s not exclusively for developers on testing devices like it was in the past.

This doesn't impact the public beta because public beta doesn't have 11.2 yet.
did you half read what i wrote? my fuss is that they should of said something prior. I do have multiple backups as do most developers, I do a backup prior to every build. Its just a unnecessary waste of time that could of been avoided.

Sorry you need your hand held by Apple every single step of the way. Maybe you should consider not running beta software as it seems obvious that you don't understand what you're doing.

Apple clearly outlines it in their agreement. You ignored it. Your ignorance shouldn't require additional measures on their part.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: hetrigger

jaw3net

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Simple solution, for the time being...

Download the 11.1 IPSW. Install it on your current (non X) device with iTunes (Option Click Check for Upgrade). Backup your current device, either icloud or itunes. Restore from backup on your X.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
OUCH! :eek: Glad I held off on installing on my old phone, to make setting up the X easier. Wow! Feel bad for those who have to set up everything manually.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Still curious what they need to let you know? And if you have multiple backups whats the issue? Waste of time doing what, restoring one of your prior backups? Just curious what you are fuming over and trying to understand what it is you were looking for from Apple.

This doesn't impact the public beta because public beta doesn't have 11.2 yet.

Sorry you need your hand held by Apple every single step of the way. Maybe you should consider not running beta software as it seems obvious that you don't understand what you're doing.

Apple clearly outlines it in their agreement. You ignored it. Your ignorance shouldn't require additional measures on their part.
Um yes they do.

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I left my 7Plus and its backups at 10.0.3 maybe should have stayed at 10.0.2 for simple restore. Hopefully it will be easy to get my X ready to restore from that I know as I recall from last year (I did not do easy way) there was a message to put latest release on phone first wish I had done that took a bit longer. Oh well my phone is one way coming Monday ;-)
Huh? Even if you updated to 11.0 or 11.1, you'd be ok.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Simple solution, for the time being...

Download the 11.1 IPSW. Install it on your current (non X) device with iTunes (Option Click Check for Upgrade). Backup your current device, either icloud or itunes. Restore from backup on your X.

Can you do the OTA on that one? Just curious.

macwad

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2017
If you're on iOS 11.2, you can download iOS 11.1 and do an "update" to 11.1. Once you "update" to 11.1, do a back up, and then restore.

Come some one walk us through how to download and install OS11.1 ? Where do I find the info ?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Come some one walk us through how to download and install OS11.1 ? Where do I find the info ?
Google is your friend. Looks for direct download links for Apple iOS and get the ipsw file for your particular device. Then in iTunes, press shift/update (or options/update Mac) and browse to the file you downloaded and select it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.