Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
Originally posted by carletonmusic
god, that ad was aweful. Didn't apple get a say in it?? That girl should have been prosecuted for her acting inability...

I'll second that. I can only hope they released this ad to throw us "off the scent" of the real ad which will be mind blowing. Somehow I doubt it. I can't believe the same people who designed this awesome PowerBook I am typing on could put their name on something so lame. And is it just me or did the fonts used in the ad look real cruddy too?

fpetters

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
The song is from the band "The Clash", song name is "I fought the law" ... funny how the song kind of cuts out this part on iTunes, makes me think this is the real comercial (but I think the sound feed will be better so it will be easier to understand the girl).

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
L-A-M-E

The point is whether or not the ad is up to Pepsi's standards (sadly, it is), but rather, does Apple want to drag it's own branding down by being associated with a spot that's this bad?

Between the iMac spots, the G4 Tank ad, the Switch campaign and the iPod campaign, Apple has made some of the most memorable ads in recent history. And now, in the minds of consumers, they'll be associated with this giveaway and it's horrible ad as much as Pepsi is.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall when the Pepsi people showed their concepts for the spot to Apple. The horrified looks on the faces on the Apple people would have been priceless ("All our years of branding. Gone."). :D

anodized

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2003
I think they were using the real kids who got sued .. so it's not really their fault if they're HORRIBLE actors. They wanted that 'reality show' feeling ...?

Pepsi has a few more ads up their sleeve... meybe this was a lousy one to get us all talking :rolleyes:

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
You know, considering what they paying to air the ad during the game, you'd think that they would have sprung for a teleprompter... But then again, the girl could barely read from the cue cards, but it'd at least seem a little less odd if she looked at the camera while reading to it.

Personally, I think the 45 sec. ad is far too disjointed and inaudible to get the relatively simple concept of buying soda and winning downloadble music.

As it is, the most memorable Superbowl commercials, with few exceptions (Apple, monster.com) use humor to grab your attention. This tries to be funny and fails miserably. And to top it off, I'm none too impressed with Green Day's cover... I guess I'll just have to look forward to the Panthers' overwhelming victory...

miradu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2003
What a terrible ad. It's like pure sucking up to the RIAA. It's like validating the fact that a huge cartel can extort individuals with our current justice system: guilty or not. How depressing is it seeing these kids? My only reaction is what a terrible ad...

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
the ad is fine. it communicates exactly what it needs to. sure its not very gripping as far as concept, but isnt the message interesting enough? win free iTunes music if you drink pepsi. and for the rebellious youth "and theres not a thing anyone can do about it". im sure this ad will get the message across just fine. though i do agree that it isnt incredible....was it suppose to be?

and just think of how often this commercial will get air time....and every time apples "iTunes" will be mentioned.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
booo

Horrribble.

HORRIBLE.

Apple you suck.

SUCK.

Arg... first its copyright infringment, like if I drew a picture of cartoon character if I didn't credit them, not stealing.

Horrible commerical, song OK.

This is like a commerical for people... who *know* that the RIAA has been suing people.

Its not even like GO TO iTunes.com ... or anything.

How about 'Drink a Pepsi, become a winner, go to iTunes.com for more details'

NOTHING.

BAH!

I would rather the RIAA storm my house then watch this commerical ever again.

A waste of a million dollars, like that commerical for something. 'we spent $3 million on this commerical, don't waste your money!'

:rolleyes:

BOO, article rated DOWN.

greenstork

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2003
Seattle,WA
This ad is just a load of propaganda. It is really the first time I've felt dirty about the relationship between Apple, Pepsi and the RIAA.

If you strip this ad down to its primary message, it's just lame:

"Don't get prosecuted for downloading music off the internet, drink Pepsi instead, win music."

Apple and Pepsi are treating teenagers like children, threatening them with discipline. But you won't get disciplined if you drink Pepsi. Man, advertising disgusts me sometimes.

It's basic fear-mongering propaganda, pandering on the part of Apple and Pepsi, although I kinda expect it from the RIAA. Very disappointing Apple, disappointing indeed.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Originally posted by appleguru1
hehe... At least this isn't the final cut of the ad that we're seeing ;) This cut shows a greenscreen on the iMac's second cut.. And appe's screenshots confirm that this will be replaced w/ an iTunes screen:

http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/ads/04pepsi.html

Maybe they have a few more tricks up their sleeves yet ;)

Greenscreen? Far from it (except for one part around 00:00:42). But what could you see in that small of a space anyway... definitely not a closeup of iTMS!

Here's a picture from 00:00:28; I have no idea what's on the screen in front of her, but she *is* looking at the camera for about a millisecond (bad acting aside):

Attachments

• imac_screen.jpg
    imac_screen.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 603

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: Not bad for a normal ad

Originally posted by dbenesch
but a bit disappointing for a $1.4 million, Super Bowl spot. But that's me...

I thought it was a little weak also. I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the final edit.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Originally posted by greenstork
This ad is just a load of propaganda. It is really the first time I've felt dirty about the relationship between Apple, Pepsi and the RIAA.

If you strip this ad down to its primary message, it's just lame:

"Don't get prosecuted for downloading music off the internet, drink Pepsi instead."

Apple and Pepsi are treating teenagers like children, threatening them with discipline. But you won't get disciplined if you drink Pepsi. Man, advertising disgusts me sometimes.

It's basic fear-mongering propaganda, pandering on the part of Apple and Pepsi, although I kinda expect it from the RIAA. Very disappointing Apple, disappointing indeed.

Remember, it is illegal to download songs for free off the Internet. I would have to say that it's immoral to (my conscience cringes at the thought of dl'ing free music). Legality aside, this commercial is not about discipline... it's about getting free music from the iTMS! I'm happy about that; I was only pessimistic yesterday when I didn't get a new G5 DP 2.6 from Apple :rolleyes:

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
i think they could have gotten a better speaker than her. you can see her look down at the cards. in her defense, the music should have been turned down a little while she talked. maybe thats why she was so hard to understand.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't see what everyone is complaining about. I thought it was fine. Not mind-blowing, but fine. Certainly not the disaster that everyone is making it out to be.

As was said earlier, it's an ad for Pepsi, not Apple. It was never supposed to be the next "1984" ad. It's for Pepsi, and Apple got some free press. Stop all the complaining as if this were the end of the world, or even the end of Apple.

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Quick Fix to Download Problems

There is an EASY anwser to the problems downloading the move. Right click on the links to the ads on the Mac Rumors homepage and select download link to disk. Then you can have a copy of the movie. Or open the movie in Safari by left clicking on the link and save the page after the movie is done loading. No Quicktime Pro required for this tip. Hope this helps someone. Using these methods I viewed the ad with no problems whatsoever.

I don't really like the ad. It would have been better if the shots of the teens were shorter and the girl (provided we decide to keep her in the ad) said her message about the ITMS giveaway more straight forwardly. Still, it's better than nothing.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
[quot

Greenscreen?

You're right; I was referring to the greenscreen later on; But here's a direct comparison between apple's shot and what we got...:

"Final":
real_pepsilaw.jpg

Our Cut:
our_pepsilaw.jpg

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
I'll second that. I can only hope they released this ad to throw us "off the scent" of the real ad which will be mind blowing. Somehow I doubt it. I can't believe the same people who designed this awesome PowerBook I am typing on could put their name on something so lame. And is it just me or did the fonts used in the ad look real cruddy too?

Man, I'm hoping the same... this is one of the worst ads I've seen in a long time. I already hate the taste of Pepsi, and this ad isn't helping...

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Widescreen

Has anyone else noticed that the ad was in widescreen format. Is that standard for tv ads or is the medium moving towards a 'letter boxed' style?

Here is a better photo showing the greenscreen:

greenscreen.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.