Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
A few Samsung phones out of millions. I'd say the odds are pretty low. People make it sound like half of the Note 7's catch fire. The point is, the risk is there. People evaluate the risk and make a choice. That was my argument to the post I replied to and it makes perfect sense.

If you can show us proof that iPhones are incapable of catching fire, then I will retract my statement.
Deflection won't help you.
The ability for batteries to catch fire is not disputed.
What is of concern is the rate at which Samsung has flaming fireballs.
Its not iPhone on trial here, as much as you want that to be the case.
Today, it Samsung on the hot seat.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Samsung is getting all the heat, but I'm pretty sure it's the company providing the battery components which is to really blame. I'm pretty sure most other companies (Apple first) are keeping a low profile because it could very well have happened to them too.
I'd say you are misinterpreting this.

Samsung has again shown themselves as being absolutely classless by creating adverts making fun of Apple's customers. I think it may be a cultural thing; to me these adverts are totally off-putting and I would stop me from buying a Samsung product, but their Korean masters probably see this differently.

Apple has class. When something like this happens, you don't want to be caught gloating. It just makes you look bad yourself. Obviously someone at Apple has bought some of these phones by now and figured out the reason for the fires and added something to whatever checklist Apple has for its components.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Deflection won't help you.
The ability for batteries to catch fire is not disputed.
What is of concern is the rate at which Samsung has flaming fireballs.
Its not iPhone on trial here, as much as you want that to be the case.
Today, it Samsung on the hot seat.

You call it deflection, I call it putting the "crisis" into perspective.

Here is a great article describing the Note 7 battery issue and why it happens. It states that 0.01 percent of all Note 7's are susceptible.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Dmylrea was arguing that Samsung did not knowingly send out replacement phones that were also dangerous and implied that this somehow exonerated them.

I replied that I was not necessarily arguing there was malicious intent here, but that they were guilty either way.

But with the text you mentioned perhaps there was some malicious intent after all.

Sorry, I mixed up the names and who said what.

Reactions: Brookzy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A few Samsung phones out of millions. I'd say the odds are pretty low. People make it sound like half of the Note 7's catch fire. The point is, the risk is there. People evaluate the risk and make a choice. That was my argument to the post I replied to and it makes perfect sense.

If you can show us proof that iPhones are incapable of catching fire, then I will retract my statement.
Doesn't matter how many notes or iPhones or anything else at this point. Note 7 Worldwide recall, ban on aircraft, enough evidence that Samsung is halting production and this will cost them 5 billion dollars. Yep iPhones catch fire and every time I get In my car I take a risk. But those are all deflections. So yeah you can put it in perspective but that is where it's at.

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
As a long-time iPhone user (7 years), I am really saddened by this news. Competition is what pushes industry innovation, and it's sad to see a major competitor's product fail on such an epic scale. Hopefully Samsung gets their act together and we return to a healthy competitive balance soon.

On the flip side, maybe Samsung's fail is the making of Google's Pixel? One can hope.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Samsung is getting all the heat, but I'm pretty sure it's the company providing the battery components which is to really blame. I'm pretty sure most other companies (Apple first) are keeping a low profile because it could very well have happened to them too.
There has been this report that the battery in the Note 7 sits in a compartment that is too tight and when it expands while getting warm during use, it is put under too much strain. Also, the battery manufacturer might also be called Samsung. But the most relevant part is that the Note 7 is the outlier, there must be something specific to the Note 7 design, the Note 7 battery design or the manufacturing of this particular battery design.

You don't prevent or solve such problems by hope. You prevent them by getting to the bottom of it and then apply everything you have learned to all products going forward.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If there's a silver lining to this, I think that safer battery technologies will be implemented more quickly due to the magnitude of this story.
What I read was that one supplier made batteries that were a fraction larger than spec'ed, and when you put them into a case that is too small, they will catch fire. If that's the case then there is no "safer technology" to be implemented, just don't use batteries that are too big for the case. With the second round of exploding batteries, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung had a million batteries marked for destruction, and someone thought they could make some extra cash into their own pocket by using these batteries instead of new ones.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006

Here is a great article describing the Note 7 battery issue and why it happens. It states that 0.01 percent of all Note 7's are susceptible.
Put this in perspective... I will give you a bomb for free ..... it only explodes to 0.001% of the people I give it to... would you take a chance? Now add the fact that you are not recieving it for free but you are actually paying for it :S

Making low % (especially without knowing how much that % refers to) does not help you when that small % is you!!!

So would you buy this bomb from me? Hey i only sold 10 million of it.....only 100 will explode cmon!!!

EDIT:
and if you and your wife (if you have one) both get one of the lucky 100...guess what ?? you have 100% of risk....not bad of for a 0.001% chance!!

Last edited:
Reactions: chuloo and sinsin07

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

What ever floats your boat and gets you through the day.
Bottom line, Samsung made a F'd phone, they screwed the first recall, they have a F'd up public image, "some carriers" have lost faith in the phone, the public has lost faith in the phone and now it appears they faulty replacements.
In their rush to beat the iPhone 7 (whatever happened to the Note 6? :rolleyes:) it appears they rushed out the Note 7 and now its a flaming success. :rolleyes:
At the end of the day, history will write Samsung F'd up.

Reactions: BlueParadox

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I agree to an extent. However, sports teams represent a city you are from, a state you are from, or a school you went to. There is a much closer affinity in that respect.

Championing and "taking pride" in a cell phone is no different than championing or "taking pride" in the maker of the office chair I'm sitting in right now, or the maker of the bowl I put my yogurt in this morning.

The exact same could be said about football fans and the teams they support.
They haven't got a clue who you are, yet you pay huge prices for tickets to their games, but their merchandise, cry when they lose, celebrate when they win, yet the team doesn't have a clue who you are and you did nothing to influence the outcome.
But millions of people still do it.
Bizarre.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
iPhone 6 has touch disease, and Note 7 explodes. Obviously Samsung's problem is far worse. I wonder if the obsession to make phones as thin as possible while loading them with as much tech and battery life as possible is cutting into safety and quality control.
steve-jobs-would-annoy-jony-ive-by-taking-credit-for-his-design-work.jpg

Agents have been dispatched to your home. Please put your affairs in order now. Questioning the IVE will NOT be tolerated!!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada

So, that article is almost a month old - dealing with the original recall. Obviously any metrics that they quoted are suspect as the replacement devices are proving just as volatile.

They don't have a handle on the problem - yet - so stating that they understand the full scope...

Reactions: sinsin07

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
For someone who "doesn't care", you certainly seemed to take perverse pleasure in pointing out the following observation.

For me, it's not at all unlike being awed by a display of strength and power. Have you never been amazed by Usain Bolt or Serena Williams completely and utterly dominating their sport? These people don't know who I am and likely don't care a **** about me either way. Doesn't stop me from admiring their work and rooting for them.

Same with Apple. I admire their work and respect their strength and love their guiding philosophy and I find it awesome how they do things their own way and prosper for it while making the rest of the competition look like utter idiots.

I think it says more about the originator of the quote that he has chosen to dismiss outright something he doesn't comprehend rather than choose to study and understand it.

Oh, really? Did you love how Phil Schiller made a BS 'bait and switch' lie on Keynote about the lack of headphone jack with his ridiculous 'courage' statement? Or how Cook made an a$$ out of himself doing the car karaoke in the video prior to the show? He looked like an UTTER IDIOT for doing that. I don't care if this is their attempt to have fun but this is NOT how you open up a keynote. Seriously. If I were a CEO, I wouldn't do it.

How they behave on stage in keynotes and interviews is nothing but a BS public relations smoke screen to deflect what's really happening behind the scenes in their corporate offices.

In fact, I'm not at all impressed by any of those executive fools.

How's your new iMac doing? Oh wait. They haven't refreshed it.

How's the Apple Watch doing? Oh wait. It just got banned in the UK for security reasons just recently. Google it.

How's the Car? Going nowhere and more likely to be an experimental race car to rep the company ( my theory ).

There's a reason why Apple under the late Steve Jobs was successful and it's due to his laser-like vision, focus, and drive. There's NONE of that under today's leadership in Apple.

Steve was THE hammer that Tim isn't.

So my point being, don't EVER underestimate the competition. That's how the Golden State Warriors got destroyed with their eroded arrogance by the Cleveland Cavaliers, my homies.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

I'm really hoping this mess translates into new and better quality control measures and practices everyone in the industry will apply.
I've read somewhere(sorry I'll never be able to find it) recently, that Samsung takes a different approach to the battery controller than most. That is why it isn't as easy as popping off the back, and replacing the battery. The entire IC is likely faulty, and that is why there is no easy fix. A couple million ICs have to be manufactured, and replaced in all Note 7s.

Reactions: 5105973

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Oh, really? Did you love how Phil Schiller made a BS 'bait and switch' lie on Keynote about the lack of headphone jack with his ridiculous 'courage' statement? Or how Cook made an a$$ out of himself doing the car karaoke in the video prior to the show? He looked like an UTTER IDIOT for doing that. I don't care if this is their attempt to have fun but this is NOT how you open up a keynote. Seriously. If I were a CEO, I wouldn't do it.

How they behave on stage in keynotes and interviews is nothing but a BS public relations smoke screen to deflect what's really happening behind the scenes in their corporate offices.

In fact, I'm not at all impressed by any of those executive fools.

How's your new iMac doing? Oh wait. They haven't refreshed it.

How's the Apple Watch doing? Oh wait. It just got banned in the UK for security reasons just recently. Google it.

How's the Car? Going nowhere and more likely to be an experimental race car to rep the company ( my theory ).

There's a reason why Apple under the late Steve Jobs was successful and it's due to his laser-like vision, focus, and drive. There's NONE of that under today's leadership in Apple.

Steve was THE hammer that Tim isn't.

So my point being, don't EVER underestimate the competition. That's how the Golden State Warriors got destroyed with their eroded arrogance by the Cleveland Cavaliers, my homies.

Christ. Calm down mate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.