Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Holy hell I wonder how much of a drain on your battery this game will do.

Considering SC3000 required:

• 166 Mhz or faster Pentium or K6 processor
  • 32 MB RAM
  • 150 MB hard drive space (plus space for saved games)
  • 2 MB Video Ram

I think the iPhone will be able to handle it...

I'm guessing in terms of HD space required, it would've been utterly trimmed down and optimized...

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
Would anyone who have bought the game be willing to give a nice review on it before the rest of us purchase it? Thanks. Just wondering if it's as good as the desktop version.

ljump12

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2006
philadelphia
I can't seem to build a stadium, it says my sims want it and so I go to the "Rewards/Gift" category, and there is no stadium there...? Whyyy

Anyone else have this problem?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Considering SC3000 required:

• 166 Mhz or faster Pentium or K6 processor
  • 32 MB RAM
  • 150 MB hard drive space (plus space for saved games)
  • 2 MB Video Ram

I think the iPhone will be able to handle it...

I'm guessing in terms of HD space required, it would've been utterly trimmed down and optimized...

wth that has nothing to do with what the poster said.. he was talking about battery drain your talking about hardware requirements... :confused:

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I never really played SimCity before, I was more into the regular Sims, but I bought this app thinking it would be fun. With nothing really to compare it to, I think it's really great. I've been playing the past two days and it's pretty addictive. I think my strategy needs some work, but I'm getting better at it. It really is a full-featured, polished game that I'll play for hours and hours since it's not something you can beat and be done with. I'll post some screenies if anyone wants.

I never really played SimCity before, I was more into the regular Sims, but I bought this app thinking it would be fun. With nothing really to compare it to, I think it's really great. I've been playing the past two days and it's pretty addictive. I think my strategy needs some work, but I'm getting better at it. It really is a full-featured, polished game that I'll play for hours and hours since it's not something you can beat and be done with. I'll post some screenies if anyone wants.

Glad you're happy playin' sim city. Try google'ing "sim city strategies" and read some of the FAQ's. It's an amazing sim world! :cool::D

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Apparently shaking the phone will bring up an entry for "Cheat Codes." But no word on what codes actually work.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/18/review-simcity-for-the-iphone/

img_0004.jpg

Sweet! Good find!!

I looked up cheats for the PC version of SC3000, and found these:

http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blsimcity3000.htm

I tried a few from the list that didn't work, but this one does:

"i am weak" = All items are free

The iPhone made the "I" a capital and that didn't seem to matter.

This one cheat will get you a long way!

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
For those having lots of problems learning how to make your city run well, I suggest searching online for the extensive gameplay guides available for the PC version. For the most part, everything should be applicable. You'll find tips on how big to make zones and how far sims will drive to go to work and so forth. These little details really start to matter as your city grows.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
ok i was going to give the game a quick run before i start study. low and behold i played it straight for 2 hrs.

So how'd your battery handle two hours of straight play?

So far from what I'm seeing on my own phone, starting a game with a full battery would probably get me at most two hours of game play before it is completely dead. I haven't tested this, but I have seen that 30 min of play takes a huge bite.

elizzee

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
Enter Cheat Code??

So, has anyone else seen this message pop up? I took my eye off the screen for a few seconds and when I looked back, there was a small rectangular window along the top of the screen the said "Enter Cheat Code". I must have touched something inadvertently... I entered "FUND" because that's the only one I could remember from the original game - but nothing happened. I'd REALLY like to figure out how I did that AND if there are any cheats... does anyone know? I've googled it and can't find anything. I never seem to have enough money to run the city the way I'd like. Any tips for accumulating bountiful simoleans?

Thanks!!!
Elizabeth

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I must have touched something inadvertently... I entered "FUND" because that's the only one I could remember from the original game - but nothing happened. I'd REALLY like to figure out how I did that AND if there are any cheats... does anyone know?

Check the other Sim threads ... (and try shaking your phone)

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
If this sells good, then a 'The Sims' for the iPlatform is all but guaranteed.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
ive noticed that the bigger my city gets the more often it crashes...... i got up to about 100k people before i got my first crash. im now at 250k and it crashes about once every 2 hours or so. im reduced to saving every 10 minutes so i dont lose my progress.....

Avizzv92

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
ive noticed that the bigger my city gets the more often it crashes...... i got up to about 100k people before i got my first crash. im now at 250k and it crashes about once every 2 hours or so. im reduced to saving every 10 minutes so i dont lose my progress.....

The bigger the city the more resources the game demands. And more things that lead too a glitch. A lot of games tend to be like that.

buccsmf1

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
few things i'm having problems with...

buses dont work
trains dont work
sea-ports dont work

anyone else able to get these things to work or is there a glitch in the current version?

Avizzv92

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2008
few things i'm having problems with...

buses dont work
trains dont work
sea-ports dont work

anyone else able to get these things to work or is there a glitch in the current version?

I know in the PC versions SC4 and SC 3000 the rail system only ever had passengers when you had a very large city and only certain stations. It's always been picky it seems. Not sure about the buses, don't have the app yet.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
this app crashes before I Can even put in a power plant! :mad:

I take this back.

Go on iTunes to Sim City and they've added a little note about how the crashes will be fixed soon and how it's best to turn off your iPhone and turn it back on after installing. Now the game works fine. It's pretty fun and a great port of the classic PC game. Never though the iPhone would be capable of such a great gaming experience. The touch screen works pretty well for this game.

extralarge

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
I take this back.

Go on iTunes to Sim City and they've added a little note about how the crashes will be fixed soon and how it's best to turn off your iPhone and turn it back on after installing. Now the game works fine. It's pretty fun and a great port of the classic PC game. Never though the iPhone would be capable of such a great gaming experience. The touch screen works pretty well for this game.

thx for the tip

Jblack4083

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2007
I've played for HOURS on the train, waiting in the mall, and in my house today with absolutely no crashes.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I'm surprised. It really is like SC 3000. Is there a way to rotate the view? I think there was in the PC game.

M Powered

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Love the game so far by the fact you can't build roads diagonally makes it very all bland and boring for designing your city.

Hope they fix this in the patch or something.

imetazoa

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
bfe
Guide

Is there is a guide? The tutorial sucks. For example, how do I take out a loan? I can't seem to find a guide on the internet either....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.