Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Funny that battery life is so important now. Didnt we have some lively debates on the iPad forum a few moths back where you were outspoken against Apple adding more weight to the iPad if it meant putting in a bigger battery?
One is a mobile phone you carry with you every day, the other is a couch computer you use at home never far away from an outlet. Plus the iPhone SE got more battery life without making it havier.

Reactions: Channan

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
So whoever has bought the SE recently, didn't you realise Apple is going to launch the 7 in literally a couple of months?!

You realize that most of the target audience of the SE wouldn't have gotten the iPhone 7 anyway?

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Why not? If it's the size then this post was all about people who already went for the bigger version.

And like me realized what a horrible mistake that bigger size was and won't ever make that mistake again.....:)

I'll say it again....I'm no longer interested in a 6/6s or larger-sized iPhone. The only way I ever consider one is if Apple gives it a feature like Apple Pay or Touch ID that is unavailable in their smaller-sized iPhone snd I don't want to live without it. Better screens, smaller bezels, different case designs, and even better battery life wouldn't change my cell phone usage at all, and will not ever make me switch back to a larger-sized phone.

Reactions: Channan

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Going to the AS today. Gonna try out the SE and the Plus. Trying to figure out which size I want for my next iPhone. I love this 4.7" but who knows, I may really like going back to the 4". If I really do like it, I may consider upgrading soon rather than waiting for the 7 cause if I want that 4", it wouldn't matter what the 7 is like.
Will see today!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Why not? If it's the size then this post was all about people who already went for the bigger version.

While true... These people switched from bigger to smaller for a reason at least most of them. You get a two week window on whether or not you like it. If they don't return it within the 2 week period that means they like it ... Which means they probably wouldn't have gotten a 7 anyway

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So I went to the AS. Didn't take too long to figure out which size iPhone I prefer.
I tried the SE, and while I really love the classic design and look, as well as how it fits super easily in my hand, I realized that, like I've known since I've owned my 6, I can easily one hand it as well. So why give up the extra screen size?
Next I moved to the Plus. Just like I anticipated, while I could reach the top corners of the screen with my thumb, it was a stretch, and in some situations would be impossible to reach. Even holding it in one hand just to scroll through stuff, the plus felt cumbersome and I could see it just "getting in the way" in everyday use. I could even tell my thumb felt slightly stretched after using it, so I know that it just wouldn't work in day to day use for me.
The 4.7" works best for me! Not too big, not too small! Will definitely be getting a space grey 128GB iPhone 7 when it comes out!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
And like me realized what a horrible mistake that bigger size was and won't ever make that mistake again.....:)

I'll say it again....I'm no longer interested in a 6/6s or larger-sized iPhone. The only way I ever consider one is if Apple gives it a feature like Apple Pay or Touch ID that is unavailable in their smaller-sized iPhone snd I don't want to live without it. Better screens, smaller bezels, different case designs, and even better battery life wouldn't change my cell phone usage at all, and will not ever make me switch back to a larger-sized phone.
I agree with you partially. I love the form factor and when I hold my 5S, I just feel at home.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Going to the AS today. Gonna try out the SE and the Plus. Trying to figure out which size I want for my next iPhone. I love this 4.7" but who knows, I may really like going back to the 4". If I really do like it, I may consider upgrading soon rather than waiting for the 7 cause if I want that 4", it wouldn't matter what the 7 is like.
Will see today!
What if they release a 4" iPhone 7 mini?!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So I went to the AS. Didn't take too long to figure out which size iPhone I prefer.
I tried the SE, and while I really love the classic design and look, as well as how it fits super easily in my hand, I realized that, like I've known since I've owned my 6, I can easily one hand it as well. So why give up the extra screen size?
Next I moved to the Plus. Just like I anticipated, while I could reach the top corners of the screen with my thumb, it was a stretch, and in some situations would be impossible to reach. Even holding it in one hand just to scroll through stuff, the plus felt cumbersome and I could see it just "getting in the way" in everyday use. I could even tell my thumb felt slightly stretched after using it, so I know that it just wouldn't work in day to day use for me.
The 4.7" works best for me! Not too big, not too small! Will definitely be getting a space grey 128GB iPhone 7 when it comes out!
Yeah I feel like the 4.7" to be the best for me as well but it's still too big I think. I just didn't fall in love with the device even after using it for almost 2 years now. I loved all the previous iPhones.

Reactions: got556

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Yeah I feel like the 4.7" to be the best for me as well but it's still too big I think. I just didn't fall in love with the device even after using it for almost 2 years now. I loved all the previous iPhones.

It's because that form factor on the 6/6S is way too thin/unwieldy and more so the physical size of the phone should have a 5" screen and not a 4.7" screen. The 6/6S, based on screen size alone, should be much shorter and not as wide as it is.

Reactions: Tthomas612

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It's because that form factor on the 6/6S is way too thin/unwieldy and more so the physical size of the phone should have a 5" screen and not a 4.7" screen. The 6/6S, based on screen size alone, should be much shorter and not as wide as it is.
I think the bezel at the top and the bottom works well for gaming, but Apple really need to make use of the bezels in a better way by maybe putting front facing speakers.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
For me I absolutely love my 6. Size is perfect for me, and I love the design.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I think it's down to the design & inconveniences it brought along with it.

This I believe I can agree on. The 6 series has been loathed since its release. As soon as the leaks started coming with the antenna bands and people started saying how it was very "Apple." Then the protruding camera and people were hoping the leaks were wrong. They ended up being absolutely right.

Now it looks like we're going to be going on 3 years of this same design and I will be sticking with this design from 2013 until 2017.

The iPhone 5s was the last goegeous phone Apple had designed up until the iPhone SE.

Reactions: akash.nu

AVN6293

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2015
Boston MA
I have two 5" android devices and never owned a iphone, the 4s and 5s were attractive for their size. I was going to buy the SE but there is no barometer and no 3dtouch.

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
for me i actually prefer the 6s plus. i went back to a 5s for a little while and couldn't deal with how narrow it was texting in portrait it just felt too small and i'm just average height. it doesnt bother me in pockets and i wear skinnyish jeans (not tight ones just slim fitting). i enjoy the screen size and battery life. i also have an iPad air 2.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I don't really have a problem with the size of the Plus phones. It's the size and shape I can't deal with. My Moto X is only slightly shorter and narrower, but thicker and with a slightly larger display, but it was always easier for me to use one-handed than an iPhone Plus. Now I have a Galaxy S7 Edge which has the same size display but is noticeably smaller and also much easier to use one-handed.

If Apple would go back to using flat edges or something with a big more grip, I could see myself maybe owning an iPhone Plus in the future.

Reactions: nerdriot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.