Some 2016 MacBook Pro Owners Experiencing Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 21, 2017.

1. skitidetdu macrumors regular

skitidetdu

Oh I missed the part that it was new out of the box.

2. Ruggy macrumors newbie

I started to get problems with the keyboard on the 13" MBP after about a fortnight.
    Several keys-Y enter, space bar, shift.
    I found that if you can get them moving a bit then keep tapping them until it eventually goes away. It came back though after a few days. Multiple strikes, stuck keys both.
    I rubbed a business card around the edges, wondering if it was dirt, and it's just thick enough and abrasive enough to do the job and get things moving again. That helps
    I think the problem is the tolerances are too fine and the travel isn't enough for the keys to get up enough momentum, so they get stuck by dirt and don't have enough force to unstick themselves.
    I did some research and there have been problems with the Macbook for a while with some people saying you have to be very careful with dirt and having clean fingers.
    This is utterly ridiculous of course but I do think it's true and I think they pick up any muck on your fingers and it makes them stick. Also bits if crumbs if you, for example eat a biscuit near it. Totally ludicrous for a pro machine to be so fragile for sure.
    Anyway, I blew all the dust out from under the keys, cleaned around with my business card and some isopropyl alcohol until everything was working perfectly then bought a silicon keyboard skin for about $8.
    They are hardly noticeable and they don't get in the way of the lid shutting. I was thinking about getting one anyway as I've used one before and they prevent damage from spills.
    So, in conclusion for me at least, I had several problems before over a few weeks but no problem since fitting the skin, so i'm convinced the problem really is dirt getting in off the fingers etc and this is my solution to it.
    I didn't take the machine back because I'm pretty sure it'll just happen on every machine.
    Hope this helps
    J

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This is the best video on youtube. I lol'd for 10 minutes.

4. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

Well, "visual insult" is arbitrary. I don't find "looks" as important with quality. These 5K monitors are really good in quality and as a designer I definitely can use 5K displays or at least 4K displays. I want to buy two new monitors myself and I haven't decided which monitor to buy yet, but one thing I do know, it should be 4K minimum and of good quality. Look and feel is nice if it looks good, but quality is more important.

5. stanman64 macrumors 6502

stanman64

By swapped out, do you mean they repaired it or gave you a whole new unit? Juste curious because I have seen others claim that Apple is just replacing them outright with this issue.

6. PegLegDreg macrumors newbie

The flatter design of keyboard is not as bad as people make out. You get used to the travel of the keys and it is NOT like typing on a flat iPad/phone surface.

7. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

Same here. That's why I'm glad I switched to the surface pro3 for when my mac dies. Got it for half the price than the cheapest MacBook

8. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I have had nothing by problems with the SP3. VERY VERY VERY poor hardware compared to even my 2013 rMBP.

And for more issues with this release than normal - Not really. Battery issues, wasn't ENTIRELY Apple's fault. The Surface Pro 4 had power issues as well. If you were the first to get a SP4, you would have had a lot of problems. And it took them a LONG time to get it fixed. Skylake seems to be troublesome.

I think the only real "hardware" issue right now is this keyboard issue. Everything else seems to be software related.

"Clicking/popping" - I have always experienced this with my 2013 rMBP.

9. scott911 macrumors 6502a

a little off topic, but keyboard was a decision point when just deciding to buying the old mac book pro, not the new one.

For some context, I'm always a newest, bleeding edge type tech type of guy. And it really pained me to buy an old generation unit.

But keyboard was one factor pushing me away from the new macbook pro. Maybe I'd get used to it, but I know the old keyboard was ok, if not already a little to shallow for my tastes - and didn't trust that apple wouldn't compromise the keyboard in an effort to advertise thinner. I know they've compromised other things for that goal.

No mag port. My family actually lost a really expensive PC laptop a decade ago when the charge port was damaged due to stress on port. A search of the problem showed that ebay was selling replacement sockets by the box of 25! Common problem ! - I said then that apple has genius with the mag port - can't believe they abandoned it.

Lack of upgradability. It won't be long before I can put in really cheap upgrade of memory and flash drive. Can't do that with the new one...

ports - the move to usb c didn't bother me as much as I thought it would after considering my specific usage - but the other factors cited above made this generation of mac book as pass for me.

10. rwstgermain macrumors member

Not a teenager but use it for school papers and actually prefer it over my 2012 MacBook pro. Definitely a preference thing.

11. scousekenny macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017 ---
    don't care about the keyboard......don't care about the battery.......don't care about the bad press......don't care about 4 USB-C ports....(using all 4 and NOT A DONGLE IN SIGHT)......DO CARE about the price (ouch).... but Apple is Apple love it or hate it.....love my new 13 inch with touch bar .... if i had the money i'd get the 15 inch fully "spect" out...

12. smirking macrumors 6502a

The lack of a mag port has been less of an issue for me after a bit of use. The USB-C power cable isn't that firmly bedded into the port. If you snag it at just the right angle, you'll still have to say "bye bye laptop" but most likely the cable will come out.

More worrisome to me is how far the USB-C plug sticks out. It's about an inch long and if you're sitting cross legged with it in your lap, you can accidentally put a lot of vertical stress on it and probably cause the head of the plug to snap off.

13. lec0rsaire, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

lec0rsaire macrumors regular

I have had my 15" tMBP since late November. I had to go through 3 of them until I got one with good battery life and no scratches. 2 were from 5th Ave. and the good one came from the SoHo store. At first some of my keys, primarily the delete key had a weird feel as if it wasn't properly set and felt uneven. As the keyboard has broken in, I have come to actually really like it. This is my first MBP but I have used many of my friends' and families' machines throughout the years and while I can understand those who like the greater travel distance, I feel that the larger size and short travel allows for faster typing and good accuracy once you get used to it. Since this is my first MBP, the common "Esc" problem hasn't been an issue for me at all. Overall I'm getting 8-10 hrs or less on 10.12.3 depending on what I'm doing. Not the best, but also not the worst.

USB-C has not been an issue either. I bought all the necessary adapters and have bought native USB-C external drives. I can definitely see the issue for those coming from a 2013-14 model and having tons of type-A USB 3.0 HDD/SSD or thumb drives. Overall I would rate the machine a 9/10. It is not perfect by any means but they also don't deserve all of the harsh reviews it has received. I think for the most part, 15" owners are very satisfied. I cannot speak for 13" owners. I also don't think they're overpriced. You will not find a machine of this quality for much less. If one is a fan of OSX then picking one up is a no brainer unless you have a 2015 model and are waiting for a refresh which will probably come in the fall.

Edit: How could I forget?! The trackpad. It's really the BEST in the business and I never use caps! I test drive the competition (quality Windows 10 notebooks, chromebooks, older macbooks) everytime I stop at a computer shop or Best Buy and after being used to this large trackpad, I simply cannot go back to a smaller, clunkier one. I would compare it to going back to a 3.5" iPhone after owning a 6/6+ and later. It truly is amazing and nothing out there feels and performs like it.

14. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

Was the battery life issues hardware? As far as I know, software updates fixed almost all the battery life issues. Is it that you just got the hardware replaced in a middle of the OS updates?

15. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I got my pro 3 in November, and other than a couple issues I love it. Windows 10 is actually far superior than sierra. I still think 7 is superior than 10 though, and snow leopard and mavericks were the best. Not a fan of the flat look, but sadly it sounds like windows 10 in a future update will be doing that too. I wish the pro 3 hardware was a bit better, but I still enjoy it, and it actually works better as a tablet and desktop than a laptop

16. smirking macrumors 6502a

It's nice having a big trackpad, but I wish it were just a tad smaller. The dimensions of the original Magic Trackpad would have been ideal for me. The lateral egdes extend just far enough to pose problems for those of us used to doing fifteen things at the same time. The palm rejection works pretty well most of the time, but palm rejection also causes issues if you're the kind that'll use the keyboard and the trackpad at the same time or you switch back and forth so fast that whatever algorithms are used to determine your intent stop working as intended.

It's just a small annoyance and doesn't really get in the way too significantly to me, but it just seems to me that shrinking the touchpad just enough that most people wouldn't even need to engage the palm rejection functionality would have been idea. Just shave about half an inch off of each side.

17. winston1236 macrumors 68000

That video sounds like an old typewriter. I kind of like it.

18. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

This is why I will be keeping my 2015 Mbp for a long time.

New mbp are literally overpriced trash. Bunch of flashy features and none are none "pro"

19. jujufreeze macrumors 6502

"Pro" just means lighter and thinner now

20. dazultra macrumors newbie

dazultra

Buy a can of compressed air! If it hasn't already been said, and blow it on a 30% angle under the keys

21. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

I put them both on the same level of equal importance. Indeed, "looks" are why many people buy Apple products, and looks have kept me in the Apple fold for decades. As such, when comparing Apple's own Thunderbolt Display to third party options like the LG 5K, the LG 5K can't be considered "comparable" in the looks department, and certainly not compared to my EIZO display either. Let's face it, if LG was serious about Mac users, it should have considered how we think about aesthetics and done a better job designing a QUALITY monitor that LOOKS good. They ended up with a monitor that looks boring and the WIFI interference problems we've been reading about cast doubts on it's "cream of the crop" quality. If Apple came out with its own 5K display, I assure you that most Mac users who don't already own a 5K display would seriously consider that over the LG, for you and I both know how Apple cares for the look of its products. As to quality, well, my poor 2009 27" iMac i7 has had video card problems repeatedly, so I cannot say that Apple emphasized quality. Indeed, they tend to emphasize looks over quality, at least, that's been the case over the last decade.

22. simonmet, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

simonmet macrumors 65816

simonmet

In most Apple shops I've visited the 15" display models have uneven, problematic keyboards, particularly the space bar.

I've noticed the space bar to have absolutely no tactile response when pressed.

At this point I won't be buying another Mac. Thanks a lot Tim!

23. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I was 100% for Windows 10 when it came out. Telling everyone I knew to make use out of the free upgrade, and even purchased three licenses for it at the Microsoft Store. However, when the first big update hit (1511), it uninstalled my AV. Okay, minor inconvenience. But when the anniversary update hit (1607), it broke ALL my shortcuts (bad stub data received error - a lot of people had this issue), broke my Windows Update (had to manually download the update and install it), get an error EVERY TIME I shut down or restart since that update regarding OneDrive (even though I have disabled it through local group policy), web cams failed to work for quite some time (another common problem).

I am not a big fan of Windows 10 right now. I would gladly pay $1,000 JUST for macOS at this point. I ONLY use Windows 10 for gaming and Visual Studio development. That is all. I find Sierra far far far superior to Windows 10.

That being said, I DO like Windows 10 a lot more than Windows 7. Windows 7, like XP, was good for its time. I cannot stand the Aero interface anymore. And Windows 7 basic theme is worse than that! At the time, it was cool having unnecessary transparency. However, in 2017, it feels just that - unnecessary. I LOVE the UI of Windows 10.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2017 ---
    I actually cannot stand my Apple 27" display monitor. WAY too reflective. It always looks like I am looking into a mirror. I can see myself. Even at full brightness and the room lit properly. Also, it seems to be VERY laggy for some reason (switching spaces or going full screen causes MASSIVE FPS drops - even on a 2010 Mac Pro with a GTX 980!). I am not sure if it is because of response times or what. But my Dell monitors do not experience this.

24. cyprian.pl macrumors member

I hate 2016 MBP, I've got one and after testing I just got 3 brand new pre-2016 MBPs! Hard to come by these days...

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Whole new laptop.