Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielbraun

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2019
Adobe's software quality is absolutely terrible these days. They seem to be using their new subscription model as permission to push out half-baked and buggy software updates, because they can more readily "fix" them later.

Adobe Illustrator CC has well-documented issues with GPU previews on machines with Intel integrated graphics. I personally contacted Adobe about this, and they blamed Apple, but I have seen exactly the same rendering issues on Windows laptops running Intel video chipsets.

Get it right, Adobe. We're professionals, not hobbyists.
I couldn't agree more.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO GET APPLECARE NO MATTER WHAT.

You can avoid the $600 bill altogether by using AppleCare. Speaker damaged and still in warranty under AppleCare? No charge.

Also use Final Cut Pro. It’s better anyway.

(Drinks more Apple Kool-Aid)
But it only last for 2 years after that and it fails you still owe the 600 bucks if it breaks

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
If one is using the speakers to play a sound that is not natural, they are attempting to use the product for a purpose for which it was not designed or intended. "Playing it wrong" is how Apple can avoid covering this even for machines within warranty.
Apple doesn’t do that. They cover hardware that’s 5 years old in some cases. Apple is by far the best in servicing their hardware.

novakk86

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2018
THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO GET APPLECARE NO MATTER WHAT.

You can avoid the $600 bill altogether by using AppleCare. Speaker damaged and still in warranty under AppleCare? No charge.

Also use Final Cut Pro. It’s better anyway.

(Drinks more Apple Kool-Aid)
This is why you need to avoid Apple laptops no matter what. At least until they improve the quality /design of the damn thing.

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
This could be interesting to follow!
How can a Digital to Analog chip (on Mac logic board) give out so much power to the speakers to destroy the coil?
Or is it simply a combination of Frequencies ?
Replacing the speakers wont fix the source of the problem.

Reactions: Yvan256
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Adobe's software quality is absolutely terrible these days. They seem to be using their new subscription model as permission to push out half-baked and buggy software updates, because they can more readily "fix" them later.

The updates aren't PUSHED out. They are optional and you also have the option to keep or even install older versions. The options are in plain view.

But yes Adobe does rush out their software but this is nothing new they always did that.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
But it only last for 2 years after that and it fails you still owe the 600 bucks if it breaks
The computer for me isn’t even a month old when it happened
[doublepost=1549477848][/doublepost]
The bottom line is, no customer should have to pay a dime to fix this. Either Apple fixes its defective hardware, or Adobe foots the bill for an unconscionable bug.
Apple ended up paying for it.

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Not Adobe's problem, this is very simply an Apple design failure. The speaker should be able to take a full digital signal without blowing out. It might distort the signal but it should not destroy the speaker. It means that someone selected an inferior speaker to save cost or space, or it means that the amplifier was designed to be too powerful for the speaker selected. There are really easy electrical calculations that would prevent this. Another careless design by Cook's Apple.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
This sounds like it's primarily Apple's problem. Maybe Adobe could release a fix that would avoid triggering the issue, but the issue shouldn't exist to trigger in the first place. No software on a computer should have the ability to physically destroy the speakers, by accident or on purpose. If this is happening under the right circumstances with Adobe Premiere Pro, it can probably happen with other software that triggers the same conditions.

Yeah, how much time until trolls will put the "MBP killer sound" into Facebook videos, hacked websites, ...?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
How is this different from the regular MBPro Audio Issue? Isn't this the same? Or a new issue?
[doublepost=1549478779][/doublepost]
The bottom line is, no customer should have to pay a dime to fix this. Either Apple fixes its defective hardware, or Adobe foots the bill for an unconscionable bug.

Seconded.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
I just replied to their customer survey saying the same thing. I can't wait for companies like Procreate and Lumafusion to put them out of business.

Don't forget the Affinity applications like Photo and Designer.

I hope there is a version of LumaFusion for the Mac and Windows.

The last version of Adobe products I have on my mac is Adobe CS 6 (bought it on CD-Rom).

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Seems like with every new build a new part becomes susceptible to damage or longevity. Then needs a top case or full display replacement.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
It's pretty funny how this same issue happened back in 2016 with Apple's Bootcamp drivers and they didn't learn anything from it.

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
Can anyone extract that that Adobe sound driver.
It would be useful to have it, to send to some.

tucotuti

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
I'm a full-time editor and use Premiere daily. This issue has presented itself with my 2016 MacBook Pro. I generally use headphones but recently needed to edit using the speakers and afterward was left with a damaged speaker (the right speaker specifically). It's out of warranty and I haven't taken it in to an Apple store but it's interesting to know that others are experiencing similar issues. If it's widespread, hopefully it generates a quality program. Fingers crossed.

The same happened with me. First was the right speaker, now both are damaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPad Retina

Jack Burton

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2015
I had this problem back when Apple made "Soundtrack Pro." It would blast a buzzing noise at random times when working with real time filters. The sound meter would max out, and it was only in the right speaker/ear.

it ruined a headphone set for me, destroyed a front speaker on an old apple tower, and I'm sure caused hearing damage.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.