Some Users With Older Copies of iLife and iWork Having Difficulties Upgrading to New Versions [Updated]

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I have iWork '09 installed from the discs, so what is the plan to fix this?
The fix from back on page 2 of this thread is quoted again below. I tested this and it worked perfectly for me last night...

Just spoke with someone at Apple and this is what you need to do:

You need to create a new user under settings, standard account type is ok and just call it test. Log out and log into new account. Go to system updates and there they are. Once completed you can delete the test account. Hope this helps

jmgregory1

macrumors 68000
Hasty much?

----------

Really? I didn't see anywhere that said that... No love for us ML users who are waiting out a few weeks to look for any issues.
Yes, hasty indeed. I'm pretty sure I'll get the purchases credited and if not, so be it. I use both apps extensively every day and a $40 investment for doing my work is nothing in the scheme of things. Of course, I would prefer to get my money back, because an investment of $0 for being able to do my work is an even better deal...

MacAir47

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Seattle, WA
I found a way to work around this problem

Hi,

I, too, had problems downloading the new versions of iLife and and iWork on my Macbook Air. I got that same error message that is popping up when I wanted to download the new version of iMovie that I had to purchase it. I decided to try the purchase apps tab in the Mac App store. From there, I was able to download the new version without anymore problems. I hope this helps someone.

David

lux9488

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
Toronto, ON
Yes, hasty indeed. I'm pretty sure I'll get the purchases credited and if not, so be it. I use both apps extensively every day and a $40 investment for doing my work is nothing in the scheme of things. Of course, I would prefer to get my money back, because an investment of $0 for being able to do my work is an even better deal...
Did you try to get your money back? I'm in the same boat.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
The updates for iPhoto and iMovie showed up in the mac App Store, but I'm not getting any updates for Garageband appearing. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Garageband is a free download with an In-App purchase for all the loops, extra drummers etc.

You don't need to update...

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Pages, Keynote, and Numbers 2013 are crashing upon launch on my MacBook Pro!!! Please fix Apple I need these apps.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
As someone who was unable to update yesterday (all of them just had prices despite having iLife '11 and iWork '09) when I logged into the MAS this morning they all said update and allowed me to download them for free.

Blender50

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
Updates for Non-App-Store users now working

Subject says it all. I had the difficulties outlined in the story yesterday for both the iLife and iWork apps. This morning software update told me I had 6 updates to perform and all the apps updated without issue!

Way to go Apple! :)

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
I was affected by this yesterday - I've got iWork '09 installed from DVD - but I've just got home from work and Pages, Numbers, and Keynote updates show up in App Store :)

Garage Band hasn't shown up (yet) and is still at v6.0.5 on my MBP.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Works today

As of this morning (florida) I still have no "updates" but when clicking on one of the apps in the app store, it now shows UPDATE instead of PURCHASE. This just happened this morning with no intervention on my part, so it must be a rollout or a glitch. Either way, they all updated. One thing, I put my iWork apps in their own folder. If you do this, be aware that the "update" really doesn't update anything, you'll have 3 new apps along with the existing apps. Best to pull them out of their folder and put them directly in the apps area and then have them updated. I just moved them after downloading and "replaced" the old ones. All good now.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Today I had updates for Numbers, Pages, Keynote, but they did not update and remove the old apps...and still there in a folder and usable. The new versions were dropped into the Application folder in Alphabetical order.
Hmm, it appears to be updating the ones in the iWork'09 folder here (although they are still downloading so maybe it's just showing the progress bar under the old icons in Finder?

EDIT Yes, it appears it was just using the existing icons to display the progress bar. The new Pages is now installed in /Applications and the old one is still in the iWork'09 folder

Last edited:

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
So what am I supposed to do if I bought Keynote and Pages to do my homework that is due Thursday? Will Apple issue a refund?
Call Apple's customer support and get a case number going. Then, when the problem with the Mac update site is finally resolved, call back and get a refund.

If they issue you a refund now, you probably won't be able to use the new software.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
Hmm, it finished installing iWork. App Store then searched for more updates and found Keynote again (but not Pages and Numbers) even though it's showing under Installed In The Last 30 Days. Clicked Update All and it's downloading Keynote again...weird :confused:

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I don't understand why ML users can't install updates? Compatibility..?

"Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID."

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I was affected by this yesterday - I've got iWork '09 installed from DVD - but I've just got home from work and Pages, Numbers, and Keynote updates show up in App Store :)

Garage Band hasn't shown up (yet) and is still at v6.0.5 on my MBP.
Version 10.0 is a free app so just download it from the App Store. If you want the complete set of content which runs to 9GB its a £2.99/$4.99 In-App Purchase.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I don't understand why ML users can't install updates? Compatibility..?

"Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X Mavericks required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID."
Any special reason that you are not moving to Mavericks? I've been using it for a while and haven't encountered anything that ML does better. And, it's free!

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Any special reason that you are not moving to Mavericks? I've been using it for a while and haven't encountered anything that ML does better. And, it's free!
Compatibility issues. Just want to make sure any serious problems are ironed out first if any at all.

I understand it probably works fine, just want to be sure.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
GarySaid.com
Getting NON-APP STORE iWork to update to 2013 on Mavericks. THIS WORKED FOR ME.

This might have just been timing, but I had played with this for a while.

I have iWork '09 (was that the last one?!?) and had gotten it as a download (NOT an app store download, maybe trial download then purchase, maybe trial than purchase CD?) and I was having problems getting it to update after updating to Mavericks.

IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN COINCIDENTAL, but I'd tried a few different things (in their own folder, out of the folder and checked the plist) and rebooted a few times but no luck. I finally saw a recommendation to reinstall one of the old iWork '09 updaters. Here's the links at Apple.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1563
http://support.apple.com/downloads/D...9.3_Update.dmg
So I updated, once I rebooted my one machine, it worked fine and updated to the new versions. I also ran it on the other machine and I'm pretty sure I did not reboot and when I next relaunched the app store, it worked on that one too. FYI, it's was 398 MB and was slow to run (even on my MB Air).

It might have been coincidence, and it just finally worked. But that's when it worked for me.

It LOOKS like it's in the system as a puchase, but the date column isn't labeled: is that purchase date (I didn't buy it yesterday) or is it an updated date (my iMovie was updated yesterday, but the date is still old) is the question? I didn't see it in there yesterday, but I heard they were having problems. So I'm not sure if Apple has flagged it as an app store app that I "own" or it's just updating the software on my machine; just in case, I'll be sticking the above update on my backup drive (with other purchases) so if a machine ever dies I can get it going again.

Maybe if i'd just been patient, it'd have worked. I don't know.

(Reposted from one of the other threads but people are talking about these problems in several).

Gary

Attachments