Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
My Torchlight character seems like its not transferring over.

No saved games for cross platform. Nothing to do with Steam, the devs didn't originally code it to be cross platform so it doesn't work. You have to play all over again for the Mac.

hoonu

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
No saved games for cross platform. Nothing to do with Steam, the devs didn't originally code it to be cross platform so it doesn't work. You have to play all over again for the Mac.

I want to see a source on that. Its not that difficult to port the save information over. Especially using the cloud to do it.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Weird. I had a PC Steam account already. Installed Steam for Mac via the link in this thread, was able to log in and see the PC games that I've bought, etc. However, can't download Portal, can't browse anything on the Steam Store... it just keeps diverting to the MacBeta/Welcome screen.

Are you guys downloading versions of games that you already own on PC, is that why it's working for you?

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Can anyone help me understand some things. I have just installed the steam client thing.
I have some PC games sat here, one still in the wrapper (half life 2 ep.1) and another already open that I used a few years back (half life 2). I bought half life 2 on ebay.
I can't remember any of the credentials I need to use this game, other than having the serial number on the box. Is there any way I can add this to my library to play on my Mac or am I SOL?
If it matters, I signed up with a new steam account.

Many thanks,
Neil.

Edit: Is it even possible to add any of my games? Esp. the one I havent opened (for PC).

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Looks like popcap games are available...just going down my list here seeing what is 'available for my platform'.

So, looks like Torchlight, Portal, City of Heroes and the Popcap titles, as far as my list goes.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
Mine is showing the Beta page too

Heres a question, i bought Braid for mac from Greenhouse when it was released, is there a way i will be able to add its registration to my steam account?

hoonu

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
Orange County, CA

Thanks. I suspect that since they are a smaller dev house, they don't have the resources yet to port it over. It's very doable but it takes resources aka people to do it. Being that they charged next to nothing for that title, I suspect it doesn't make sense at this time given the costs. Time will tell if demand makes them change their mind.

Either way it kinda sucks... I guess I could always create a new toon that I havent played.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Looks like they still have some bugs to work out. Found this in the steam.log log file:

"DebugAssert, Name: ?, Line: 1008, Expr: "open for read/write failed in CreateFile" && !pchErr, File: /Users/alfred/valve/steam2_rel_beta/Projects/GazelleProto/Client/Engine/../../../Common/Misc/PosixWin32.cpp"

And the thing is, there is no user "alfred" on my system.

ReallyOldGuy

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Steam installed, Portal downloaded (new), it says Error game is currently unavailable. Please try again later :confused:

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Portal downloading fine for me...

Attachments

• steam.jpg
    steam.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 183

andrewclarke2

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2007
Wirral, UK
Steam installed, Portal downloaded (new), it says Error game is currently unavailable. Please try again later :confused:

Steam is not yet released for the mac and if you check finder you will see that the games being downloaded are the PC versions.

Probably best to wait until this is officially released before checking log files and downloading games.

But what the hell do I know.

matthewrex

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2008
Still won't even open. It'll work long enough to update but won't go into the interface. Just locks up and I gotta force quit.

Really ****ing aggravating.

azazel-

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2010
United States
Steam is not yet released for the mac and if you check finder you will see that the games being downloaded are the PC versions.

Probably best to wait until this is officially released before checking log files and downloading games.

Not too much, apparently, since I just logged out of Torchlight...

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009

Depends what game, my old Lucas Arts Indiana Jones loaded and ran just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.