Still Running OS X Yosemite? Beware, iTunes 12.8.1 Breaks Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2018.

1. bernuli, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

bernuli macrumors 6502

If they gonna block the least Apple could do is continue security updates back to 10.6

Or maybe stick with the current scenario and keep 10.6 current with security updates. Give up on the lions and Mav and Yos. (I myself pre gave up on these 2 before even installing). Pretty sure they introduced a new IO stack with 10.9 which gave me all sorts of USB and PCI isues never seen in 10.8 or previous. Still affects 10.11

Anyway 10.6.8 is rock solid and sips the resources. It may have a tough time with HTML5 but if you need to browse the web just whip out your giant smart phone.

2. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

3. Arbitrary Larry macrumors newbie

Arbitrary Larry

--- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    This worked for me!! Thanks for the info.
    Folks ask why keep Yosemite 10.10.5 at all? Well in my case because thousands of dollars in studio recording hardware is not supported and software such as Logic Pro is not reverse compatible. So I miss out on features of any updates or roll the dice and crash.
    The use of any O/S after 10.10.5 caused all driver to fail and the only reasonable fix was simple. Just go out spend thou$and$ more on new hardware. Don't forget to pick up all new connectors and cords just to plug into any new mac machines cuz that's been so convenient changing the standard in connectors every couple of years. Also when you're done with setting all your new equipment up...go through all your perfectly good existing hardware away because it no longer supported. Can't sell it...to who? everyone's on the new O/S they can't use it either
    --- Post Merged, Dec 15, 2018 ---
    Folks ask why keep Yosemite 10.10.5 at all? Well in my case because thousands of dollars in studio recording hardware is not supported and software such as Logic Pro is not reverse compatible. So I miss out on features of any updates or roll the dice and crash.
    The use of any O/S after 10.10.5 caused all driver to fail and the only reasonable fix was simple. Just go out spend thou$and$ more on new hardware. Don't forget to pick up all new connectors and cords just to plug into any new mac machines cuz that's been so convenient changing the standard in connectors every couple of years. Also when you're done with setting all your new equipment up...go through all your perfectly good existing hardware away because it no longer supported. Can't sell it...to who? everyone's on the new O/S they can't use it either

4. Out of Africa, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018

Out of Africa macrumors newbie

Out of Africa

I renamed MobileDevice.framework, leaving it where it was, clicked on Safari and it opened. Thank you.

5. SteveFinnie macrumors newbie

Y E S !!! Os 10.10.5 For Safari 10.1.2 worked Like a charm perfect restore of Safari Mac Pros of course wanted me to upgrade my System Dont do it
    Update:
    Apple appears to have pulled the iTunes 12.8.1 update. Some users have been able to fix Safari by opening the Finder app, clicking on Go > Go to Folder... in the top menu bar, typing in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and dragging MobileDevice.framework to the Trash.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Apple QC at work :).

They should just take longer and get it right.

7. hotlams macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help. I was just about to go and buy a new computer :)

8. justperry, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

MacMini will be able to run the next OS after Mojave, reason, the 2012 MacMini was still available in 2016, supported for 5 years, so another 3 years to go.

So, do I get this right, you solve a Safari problem and next complain that your iPhone can't connect, you deleted the file to support connecting a phone, what do you expect.:rolleyes:

There is NO solution, wait for the (Apple) fix.

9. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Thats good to know. I might update, still apprehensive haha.

10. justperry, Dec 16, 2018

justperry macrumors G3

justperry

As @Westside guy said, install it and look at the processes in Activity mode, but let it settle down first, it takes a bit to index the disk, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours on a new install.
    Your MBP should support the newest OS easily.
    You might check if your MBP has dust collected inside, a good way to check if it runs hot is to install some app that monitors your CPU temperature or GPU temps.
    I have a system preference pane that shows me the CPY % in my MenuBar, it's called Menumeters.
    There are several apps for monitoring your Temps, I will add them here shortly.

iStatMenus for lots of monitoring including temperatures.
    [
    Install it (Old OS) in a VM, problem solved.

11. TGU macrumors newbie

TGU

Worked for me !

12. RoseMD314 macrumors newbie

RoseMD314

To find the file open finder & go the the hard drive (Macintosh HD) >> system >> library >> PrivateFramework

13. sirozha, Dec 16, 2018

sirozha macrumors 6502a

I can truly say that I'm happy that I bought a 2.6 MHz i7 Mac Mini with a 1TB Fusion Drive in late 2012. I used this Mac Mini for 2.5 years, then I used MacBook Pros (2012 and 2015) while using the Mac Min in my lab to run ESXi on bare metal for a year and a half. Then, I bought a NUC Skull Canyon to run ESXi in my lab, so the Mac Mini was retired and sat in its box on a shelf for 2.5 years. I was seriously thinking about selling it right before Apple released the 2018 Mac Mini.

Since about two months ago, the Mac Mini is back in service running Mojave. I see absolutely no performance hit using the Mac Mini compared to 2015 i7 MacBook Pro . Of course, I'm not doing any serious video editing on it. The fact that six years later, this computer is such a great performer is pretty incredible. I was under the impression it would be declared vintage next year, but maybe you are right, and it will be supported for 3 more years.

On the other hand, I see NOTHING in the 2016, 2017, or 2018 Mac product line that I would want to upgrade to. Perhaps the only thing I would consider is a 27" Retina iMac; however, I really want a MacBook Pro that I can use for the next 5 years or so, but I'm not seeing anything that I would want to buy and keep for 5 years.

I'm seriously researching alternatives for a laptop for running Linux. I love macOS, but the MacBook Pros released since 2016 are a big mistake IMHO. I am not ready to switch back to Windows, so Linux running on a non-Apple laptop seems to be the only alternative.

Even with macOS, I have a few gripes:
    1. Finder is too rudimentary. Apple at least should enable a side-by-side view in Finder that would make moving files between two locations much easier. Also, enable the cut/copy and paste for files in Finder. How many decades does it take for tens of thousands of Apple software engineers to enable these basic file-management functionalities?
    2. Multi-window management in macOS is too rudimentary with the Apple's split view. Come on, Apple! Seriously, make it possible to snap in more than just two windows.
    3. Lack of network-based Time Machine backups to iCloud. Seriously, why can iOS devices back up to iCloud and macOS ones cannot? You discontinued Time Capsule. You sell many more MacBook and MacBook Pros than you do desktop Macs. MacBook and MacBook Pros should be able to back up wirelessly over the network, but you killed Time Capsule and do not support backups to third-party devices.

If Apple addressed these three items, I would be encouraged. Otherwise, it seems to me that Apple really doesn't care, as its ecosystem is unraveling.

14. somethingelsefl macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

(rolls eyes) Maybe you don't remember the Totally "plague" free Steve Jobs and his triumphant MobileMe....?
    /Sarcasm

There is no such thing as perfect software. Apple at least fixes there's quicker than most.

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Thanks for sharing, there's one thing I don't understand though, your cut/copy comment, it's there, at least on my mac, right click or in my instance double finger click on a trackpad, there it is.

16. flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

I don't know what exact hardware you're referring to but it is always like that and it has always been.
    I remember the jokes when people bought their first PCs, like they have to run home to at least boot them once before they get old / surpassed by a new model.
    This happens to machines. They get old and older and maybe they will have another life in being vintage and famous once again.
    When you work with music or in post production it’s always a compromise.
    What kind of DAW am I using, what are the system requirements, what kind of OS is the most stable with my personal setup.. etc.
    Eventually you will figure it out, just to realise that there is a something new on the market.
    New gear, a new Mac, a new version of Pro Tools, whatever.
    This can be a very painful circel sometimes, though I also have to say that a lot of people are gear addicts and they are quite dishonest when it comes to the question: ‘do I really need this?’

I bought a SSL Nucleus a couple of years ago and because SSL relied on third party usb drivers there is no way to use the device’s internal sound card with macOS later then Yosemite (third party decided not to supply further updates).
    Of course it sucks, but what you gonna do? It still works under the same circumstances as when I bought it. I just can’t upgrade or update it.
    But like you said, it’s just work and I don’t need to surf and synch my phone on all of my Macs.
    So that Mac running Yosemite stays offline and does what it is supposed to do: work.
    Until the Nucleus departs its life or I get too nervous and pull the trigger on something new.
    (Though I think 10.10 really is an in between macOS, neither fish nor fowl. Strange system font and not wearing the new design very proudly. Like a dress or suit you don’t feel comfortable in but people keep telling you: of course you look great..)
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2018 ---
    Copy - cmd + c
    Paste - cmd +v
    Paste and move, don't copy (cut) - cmd + opt + v

that's all you need.
    There are plenty of routers that support TM. Just hook up a hard drive to the router and you're good to go.
    Since Sierre or maybe High Sierra you can setup an other mac as a Time Machine server as well.
    It's included in sharing preferences now.

17. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Understandably!

18. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Copy/paste for files in Finder, not for text.

19. flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

20. sirozha, Dec 16, 2018

sirozha macrumors 6502a

Cmd + c / cmd + opt + v is a good tip. Somehow I never knew of this. I was mostly complaining about the absence of the "move" feature, and I now see that it's available with the Option key. I've used macOS exclusively for over a decade now, and I'm not sure why I wasn't aware of this feature. I've always used dragging between two Finder windows for moving files, and have been cursing Apple every time. LOL.

---------
    Edit: I've just done a little googling on this feature, and it seems it was introduced in OS X 10.7 (Lion) in 2011. I switched to Macs in 2008, when the current Mac OS X was Leopard (10.5), and the "move" feature was not there. It was a very conspicuous miss on the Apple's part for any switcher from Windows. I guess I somehow missed the introduction of this feature in Lion.
    ---------

As for third-party devices that support Time Machine, I'm well aware of them. In fact, I use a QNAP for Time Machine backups over the network. However, Apple refuses to provide support for Time Machine issues if a third-party device is involved. The only exception is Time Machine backups to hard drive directly connected to the Mac. So, even though Time Machine works with these third-party devices, it's an unsupported solution.

21. flygbuss, Dec 16, 2018

flygbuss macrumors regular

flygbuss

I know, a lot of people complain about the lack of the cut feature, but it's there, I promise! :)

You could easily use the mac mini as a TM server. Just share the drive in the sharing preferences and then you can select it as your TM backup destination on your other macs.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 20.28.37.png

For macs running El Capitan or older you'll need the apple server app from the appstore. (You have to buy it from a machine running a newer macOS, then you can download it with El Capitan from the 'purchased' tab)
    I have an old CMP 2,1 running as a TM Server and it works great.
    Also for dragging files with the mouse, if you press 'opt' while doing so it will copy, not move the file.
    'opt + cmd' will create an alias to the file/folder

22. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

I’m still running Snow Leapord (Mac OS X 10.6)......

Is that bad or amazing?

23. mikethemartian macrumors regular

I updated from Yosemite to Sierra just a few months ago. I only did it because it was required for some new software I needed to install. I used to update the Mac OS immediately after they were released but then I would have issues with printer drivers and other software no longer working so I just stopped updating. As for the iPhone I don’t update at all since a 4s I had got crippled with iOS 8. I have an iPhone X now and I intend to stay with iOS 11 unless something forces me to upgrade. Maybe iOS 12 would run better but since I can’t go back it’s not worth the gamble to me.

24. worldvirus, Dec 16, 2018

worldvirus macrumors newbie

worldvirus

if you want to still be able to sync your phones or open iPhoto I strongly recommend you don't follow the advice in the article and instead download this file
    https://www54.zippyshare.com/v/o4CKXH9r/file.html
    unzip and use the terminal command included to move the files to your usr library. that will fix the problem.
    adding the two dynlibs needed rather than deleting the .framework file, that pointed to them is a better fix.
    (Hopefully you've not emptied the trash and can return the MobileDevice.framework back to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ )

Edit: Ok iPhone still won't sync, but iPhoto works

25. dyoung1011 macrumors newbie

Thank you soooo much. I freaked out when safari crashed. The above solution worked perfectly. Hoping other parts of the upgrade do not affect my Yosemite, I can't upgrade to anything else my macbook is to old.
    Thank you all again.