Still Running OS X Yosemite? Beware, iTunes 12.8.1 Breaks Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2018.

1. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

iTunes from day one never been or probably never will be a stable product. Over complicated database with deep tentacles in the main MacOS. Time for Apple to reinvent what iTunes should be. While they are at it, do the same for photos.

2. sirozha macrumors 6502a

The 2011 Mac Mini I was speaking about is half the way around the world. Upgrading to High Sierra from El Capitan didn't work. There was an error message that the software RAID was not supported. Upgrading to Sierra worked fine. I am not going to be doing all the fancy steps that you reference when the computer is not in my possession. That computer will have to be stuck with Sierra. The question is, though, if High Sierra does support Software RAID on the system volume in HFS+, why did Apple block the upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra? This is sloppiness or planned obsolescence. The 2011 Mac Mini is not supported by Mojave due to it now being considered vintage.

3. hind-smith.com macrumors newbie

hind-smith.com

... Just fixed a neighbour's Mac using this, can confirm that it works. Thanks Scerby!

4. GOODKARMABAND macrumors newbie

GOODKARMABAND

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro it won't let me upgrade the OS to anything newer than Yosimite :(

5. simonmet macrumors 68000

simonmet

6. hind-smith.com macrumors newbie

hind-smith.com

It's a hidden folder. In the finder, choose Go - > Go to folder. Type or paste:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice

7. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Solution/help is in this thread, from page 2 and on, answers are there.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why is anyone still running Yosemite? I don't believe any Macs were left with Yosemite as the maximum version of MacOS supported.

It makes sense that Apple wouldn't test updates with a version of the OS that no one should be running anymore.

9. FNH15 macrumors regular

Your Mac officially supports 10.11 (ElCapitan) or 10.13 with some modifications.

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp728?locale=en_US

10. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

We get a lot in return even if there was no OS updates. But my inner dad feels the need to chime in when I hear people use the word "free".

11. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Correct, if it runs Yosemity it runs El Capitan.

Yosemite was one of the worst OS'es in recent years, happy it got much better after this "Vista" OS.

13. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

How do you know the 2012 Mini isn’t supported after Mojave?
    I haven’t been keeping up with this area.

Thank you.

14. ike1707 macrumors 6502

I still won’t move on from El Capitan just yet. Waiting on some compatibility issues, but I’ll probably take the Mojave plunge soon enough.

15. Maria Procopio macrumors newbie

I have followed these steps and it worked on my Yosemite
    Update:
    Apple appears to have pulled the iTunes 12.8.1 update. Some users have been able to fix Safari by opening the Finder app, clicking on Go > Go to Folder... in the top menu bar, typing in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and dragging MobileDevice.framework to the Trash. Note: we have not tested these steps.

16. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Any other OS on my 2015 rMBP runs extremely hot. Yosemite is the only one that makes it usable.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Have you checked Activity Monitor after upgrading to see what is using the CPU? I suspect it may be some application you have installed that doesn't play well with the newer OS. It may be something you're not using anymore, or have an update available that fixes it.

18. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

If I remember right Bertrand left on his own and is doing god knows what. Forstall got thrown under the bus by Cook when he rightly refused to sign that letter.

19. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

This is moot. Its clean installs everytime just running safari and after "indexing" is done. theres nothing to really index on a fresh install.

20. bms204 macrumors newbie

You are an amazing individual!! Thank you for the video that completely solved this problem for me!! Thank you Thank you!!

21. josephburch macrumors newbie

Deleting this file does solve the safari problem, however; my iMac will now not recognize my iPhones.
    I have tried connecting them via usb and bluetooth.

Any advice would be great.

22. Scooz macrumors regular

Another craigged update.

Where‘s Apple‘s VP of QA?

23. Bacillus macrumors 68030

Bacillus

I am afraid he’s unable to respond currently, due to an unexpected Safari problem

24. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

YES, best to rename - one character, easily deleted later, does it

25. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

I’m running High Sierra on my 2015 rMBP - haven’t had any heat issues.

I will note that I had previously rolled back to El Capitan on two different occasions because earlier versions of Sierra and High Sierra sucked - but the final iteration of High Sierra seems pretty solid (thankfully, since El Capitan no longer receives security updates).