Supply Chain Expects New 16-Inch MacBook Pro, 13-Inch MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air to Launch in October

DVD9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I don't understand why people want to know if the 15 inch is going to be refresh. The new 16'' will most likely be the same size as the 15'' but just with a stretched, bigger display, and a better design maybe.

And a higher price.

Never forget the higher price.

Made in China, priced like made in Germany.

The_Martini_Cat

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2015
Whatever it is, it's already been designed. Here's hoping Apple has found its long-lost design mojo and that we won't have to buy a $99 twelve-port dongle to add back the gazintas and gazoutas that make a pro machine portable. I don't care about the keyboard it's too hot to type on anyways. Cheers!

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
LCD panel? why not LED or IPS? has there been a change in LCD to move back to that tech?
You are confusing different technologies as the same thing. There are LED backlit LCD panels, and IPS is an LCD panel type (like TN, VA, etc)

Edit: Thought about it for a second, you might have meant OLED. That is different than LCD.

SamuelFleming

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
I hope that Apple is working hard to satisfy the "pros" with these new laptops just like they seem to be doing with the iMac pro and new Mac Pro. If that is the case I am somewhat surprised not to see the macbook pro that was just updated downgraded to take the macbook name while still getting the bump it received. Maybe that will all happen as new computers are released. We'll see I guess.

As a "pro" working in CAD applications on a 6+lbs HP I hope that Apple figures out how to tap into that market more so I can one day possibly switch. I know I'm dreaming, but I'd love to be working on MacOS again.

wallysb01

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
"The supply chain industry reportedly expects the laptop to start at around $3,000, with Apple positioning it between the iMac and iMac Pro as a portable option for users with pro needs."
So the starting price seems ok and just based on current line up...i just hope that doesnt come with 128ssd...maybe starting with 512 as default
The top end non-BTO 15" starts with 16GB of RAM and 512 SSD at $2600. I can't imagine they would deviate too far from that. This is still an LCD screen, not OLED. It can also fit in roughly the same case, just smaller bezels, so I can't imagine they'd have a huge price pressure to skimp on other components, a 256GB, that wouldn't be a huge problem, 128 would be an insult. We'll see what else might be added, I guess, but right now, I'd bet its that top 15 model with a 16 screen and not much else, for about 3K. That would be a $400 increase, or about 15%. That all sounds about right.

lulla01

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
My bet is that they announce the MBP but it will not be available for purchase until 2020.

alexandero

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2004
That MacBook Air update was barely an update, it was a price drop and a True tone screen. It had one goal and one goal only, people who are going back to school could get it for cheap.
It actually has the same screen as before, just an additional sensor.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but it would be cool if Apple made its Macbooks modular again (i.e., add my own RAM, SSD, battery, etc...). To me, modularity was a very appealing quality of Macbooks from back in the day...
This is why I'm holding on to my 2012 cMBP for as long as I can. It's bulkier than the new ones, but knowing I can replace pretty much any component if/when it fails, that is reassuring.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Every feature of the MacBook Pro that made it such a stand-out machine a decade ago has been removed or degraded. At this point Apple has a long way to go to restore the model to something deserving of premium pricing. A 16” display is a good start, but it’s just a start.
That's an absurd exaggeration.

What makes the MacBook Pro a standout machine is:

1. macOS
2. macOS
3. macOS
4. Portability

I'm not going to mention the things people lament because they are tired, boring, irrelevant and uninteresting.

(This is no way refers to the keyboard disaster that everyone knows needs fixing)

Howard2k

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2016
It seems way too early for another refresh. If this is true, I image that this year's earlier refreshes were just to give a little speed bump.

Working in a corporate environment, my main concern is that October release means they would require Catalina and that is way too soon for us to have it certified for use here.

I had actually thought that the recent refreshes meant we were safe until next year. :(

Might have to stock up on the current 15" models before then.

Yeah, also an issue for those who are hoping to hold onto Mojave for 32 bit apps too. I was really hoping to get a new MacBook Pro with Mojave on it.

orbital~debris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
England, UK, Europe
Of course, the 15-inch model could come later.
Highly unlikely, IMHO.

Adding a 16-inch model (without the intention that any overlap be short-lived) would just take Apple back into the realm of product lineup confusion they've recently taken steps to address (with the simplifications of eliminating the MacBook in favour of MacBook Air and removing non-Touchbar options of the MacBook Pro).

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Apple just updated the MacBook Air and 13" Pro. I agree there is a chance they will announce a 16" MacBook Pro as a very high end unit. Either way I am on the verge of buying two 13" MacBook Pros.

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
Gentle reminder to be wary of 1st-generation Apple products.
While generally sage advice, I think folks will be balancing the risk of a brand new generation with the continuing concerns of the longevity of the current butterfly keyboard.

I think his reminder still stands. To me, the “1st gen product” concern isn’t that you won’t like it after 14 days or that it will have a manufacturing defect appear within 1 year. For me it’d be more longevity concerns, and for Gen2 to have significant improvements based on feedback/experience with the new form factor.
In addition to what I said above, Apple has a good reputation for offering extended warranties for manufacturing defects. So even someone who does not opt for AppleCare may be able to get first generation issues fixed under warranty after year one.

i wonder what best dGPU from amd can fit this 16" mb?
I'm wondering this as well. It would be awesome to get a 7 mm Navi GPU, but I'm not sure if it's realistic for that to be ready by October. Perhaps a slightly more powerful Vega might be more realistic.

Will they throttle?
ALL portable, high performance portable devices in a slim package will throttle, so that's not really the question we should be asking. The real question is will it throttle more or less than similarly svelte products?

The top end non-BTO 15" starts with 16GB of RAM and 512 SSD at $2600. I can't imagine they would deviate too far from that. This is still an LCD screen, not OLED. It can also fit in roughly the same case, just smaller bezels, so I can't imagine they'd have a huge price pressure to skimp on other components, a 256GB, that wouldn't be a huge problem, 128 would be an insult. We'll see what else might be added, I guess, but right now, I'd bet its that top 15 model with a 16 screen and not much else, for about 3K. That would be a $400 increase, or about 15%. That all sounds about right.
That's a bit depressing, but I think you're probably right on. Larger screen size, new keyboard, brand new MacBook redesign, maybe an additional port or two, maybe a very modest performance increase over the closest spec 15", and Apple could easily get away with pricing it at $2,999.