Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikejaret

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2014
they need to fix the issue with it not scrolling up when you use a third party keyboard, makes them unusable for me :(

jreal2

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
How is that being "so paranoid"? I also don't feel comfortable setting up basically a keylogger on my iPhone to send EVERYTHING I type to a 3rd party company.

Lol Yup, keylogger. And because its 3rd party well Apple can't be blamed neither can they control what they do with your data.

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I downloaded a couple of them, tried them out, and then promptly deleted them.

Me too. This is one of those things that I heard was so awesome about Android and was interested in trying. I downloaded and tried Fleksy yesterday and just found it... not bad so much as not really compelling. It didn't seem to do anything that made me excited about it. Maybe I'm just not nerdy enough to realize what's awesome about these different keyboards. I used the standard iOS 8 Apple keyboard in beta for a few weeks, it got really good at figuring out what I was going to say from one letter (and sometimes no letters). I don't know how much better these could be than that.

jreal2

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
you have every right too feel that way but you obviously know its not just keyboard apps that take that info its virtually every app

This is one that keylogging might actually be more apparent, and yes I am aware when it comes to access on my phone very few apps get that full access.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan
I tried both Swiftkey and Swype and thought Swype to be much more accurate than Swiftkey. Does anyone else see this as well?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
HOWEVER, its quirky. If I'm using the Swype keyboard and I put focus on a password field on a webpage, the keyboard reverts back to the stock Apple keyboard with no button to switch back to Swype. :mad:

That's one hundred percent intentional. When you enter a password, you don't want third party code to find out what you are typing. Apple tries to make it impossible for new keyboards to steal information from you. But in case they somehow fail and something like SwiftKey manages to steal information from you, at least they can't steal passwords.

(And if a hacker wrote a keyword that can steal things that you type, they wouldn't want to be detected by sending everything you type to a server - much more clever to only send what you enter into password fields and nothing else to avoid detection).

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I like Swiftkey, looks like iOS keyboard with Swype in it basically, but I dont like that top bar above the keyboard, I cant seem to remove it, I deleted the app beacuse of that lol, If i can remove that top bar, I will use this keyboard all the time

----------

you have every right too feel that way but you obviously know its not just keyboard apps that take that info its virtually every app

I think that you dont have to send any information to Swiftkey at all, that you can shut off the cloud part of it, thats what I did,

----------

they need to fix the issue with it not scrolling up when you use a third party keyboard, makes them unusable for me :(

rest assured, within one week tons of apps will be updated for iOS 8 and any compatability issues will be ironed out real soon and fast

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Swiftkey is nice but there are issues. Sometimes you can use swiftkey for quick reply and other times you can not. Some time iOS reverts back to the default keyboard or Emoji if you deleted the default one. It feels beta-ish.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008

Other apps are not used to log in to your bank accounts or other sensitive financial data. I would never activate that feature which is required for many of these to work. The reason apple restricted use

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Clearly shows Apple's one size fits all isn't what people want and all the iSheep now believe 4.7" and 5.5" are the magical, perfect size for a phone:rolleyes:

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Worst part about this keyboard, is that it requires full access for word prediction... which means the keyboard is no longer sandboxed.

This keyboard is also completely free, which begs the question how are they making money. They are probably data-minning the words we type. Like Apple said we are its product.

If you did a bit of research instead of spreading FUD, you would realize how swift key makes money.

Hint: Themes.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I noticed that installing Swype, it never did the popup asking for full access like SwiftKey did.

Anyone else notice this?

-Kevin

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Still can't get it to stay as the default keyboard. Always keeps switching back to the normal keyboard. I've made it top of the list in the Keyboard settings and held down on the little globe icon and selected SwiftKey and it still doesn't come up most of the time when I text.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Love it. Dual languages is great!

I love it. the fact that you can finally type in up to 2 simultaneous languages is awesome!
I haven't tried the swiping keyboard on my iPhone yet, but i installed it on my iPad Air and it works great
:)

----------

Love the keyboard in messages but there is no way to enter or go on an address in safari for iPad... :confused:

veggiedude

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
It did suck

Swift kinda sucks, maybe its just me.

Nope, its not you. It survived maybe two minutes and then I deleted it. I am sure most of the million others did the same!

EDIT: I'm referring to SWIPE. Is Swiftkey different? Okay, I will try it and see if it is any better...

Last edited:

Spaceboy88

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
New York, NY
I noticed that installing Swype, it never did the popup asking for full access like SwiftKey did.

Anyone else notice this?

-Kevin

Swype doesn't need full access. It's also a thousand times better than SwiftKey when it comes to accuracy. If you're installing one of these apps because you like the swiping method, Swype is worth the small fee.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
I'm trying it, but as I type in landscape with both thumbs its kinda useless. Right now I prefer the new apple one with the word suggestion feature. Using swift one handed is fine, and once I get used to it might be ok. Time will tell whether I delete it or not. :confused:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Worst part about this keyboard, is that it requires full access for word prediction... which means the keyboard is no longer sandboxed.

TR6ulqPl.png

0i6alwml.png

This keyboard is also completely free, which begs the question how are they making money. They are probably data-minning the words we type. Like Apple said we are its product.

Yep. I deleted it as soon as it wanted me to connect to them. No thanks. I did pay a buck for Swype. Still can't get into using it. Maybe someday...

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Swype doesn't need full access. It's also a thousand times better than SwiftKey when it comes to accuracy. If you're installing one of these apps because you like the swiping method, Swype is worth the small fee.

So does that mean that with Swype, the app is still sandboxed? Even though it does suggestions?

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.