Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
That HomePod leak from a few weeks ago had traces of a dynamic status bar system. The icons could very well show up depending on what you do or scroll around. Maybe we even get to pick what icons we want to have showing?

I mean I don‘t need stuff like carrier name (I got a flat that covers every possible country I go to), bluetooth (it‘s always on here... although I like the AirPods indicator), rotation lock (always on) and alarm icon (always on) to show. I can see why people want to have these showing though.
There is a 100% chance that the status bar icons do not 'scroll'. Think about that for a moment. Casually look at your screen and imagine status bar icons scrolling up top. Have you ever imagined anything more distracting than that? Didn't think so.

Reactions: sassenach74

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
Rumours are rumours. Call it a leak if you like but Apple have always done s model one year and new number the next.

Whatever you wanna argue fact is there are no facts and we know nothing.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Pressing a button or swiping anyplace on the screen. It will take some getting used to. The bright side is they don't have to delegate screen real estate for a button. Like Amdroid phones.
Not on Samsungs latest phones..you can utilize full screen on any apps and make the buttons translucent and disappear with a swipe...thanks...no loss of screen real estate.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There is a 100% chance that the status bar icons do not 'scroll'. Think about that for a moment. Casually look at your screen and imagine status bar icons scrolling up top. Have you ever imagined anything more distracting than that? Didn't think so.
Starting to find Infiniverse48 posts humorous. He's so sure of everything - & why wouldn't he be - as he posts from Steve Jobs theatre. :D

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Two things, firstly if you have ever written constraints in xcode then you can imagine how much of a pain in the balls a cutout like we are seeing would be.

Secondly the creation of an OLED panel with a cutout would be be hard work (bus wiring would be a pain).

From touch screen matrix perspective it wouldn't be a fun design either.

I don't think it will happen.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Hopefully Apple have something good up their sleeve that we're missing.

I can't believe they would create a larger display only to then not have enough room to show important information because the status display area is now too small due to the cutout.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Two things, firstly if you have ever written constraints in xcode then you can imagine how much of a pain in the balls a cutout like we are seeing would be.

Secondly the creation of an OLED panel with a cutout would be be hard work (bus wiring would be a pain).

From touch screen matrix perspective it wouldn't be a fun design either.

I don't think it will happen.

It's already there in the iOS code, so it's definitely happening:

DG2o4AlXgAAZ9Cy.jpg

This corresponds perfectly to the notch form we know and love/hate.

Reactions: anonymous guy

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB

DG2o4AlXgAAZ9Cy.jpg

Wow...if they are really doing this ugly notch, I guess that ends my quick, possible foray back into iPhone world. Oh well.

Reactions: ges

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010

DG2o4AlXgAAZ9Cy.jpg

UIStatusBarSplitBottomRadius <- What is up with this? Is there a cutout for the virtual on-screen home button maybe?

Either way, the current leaks surrounding this just don't make sense. Still have yet to hear anyone make even a logical rumor as to how it would work in a human-friendly way...

It would make more sense if the status bar was completely disconnected from the screen... like the touchbar of the new macbook where its "cut out" from the face of the display (not from the display/screen itself, say the shape of a rectangle that extends the width of the screen, with the actual rectangular display/homescreen below it... that would make more sense than the way it is now.

As the code comments show, there is nothing there that says anything about a "right" or "left".

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
UIStatusBarSplitBottomRadius <- What is up with this? Is there a cutout for the virtual on-screen home button maybe?

It would make more sense if the status bar was completely disconnected from the screen... like the touchbar of the new macbook where its "cut out" from the face of the display (not from the display/screen itself, say the shape of a rectangle that extends the width of the screen, with the actual rectangular display/homescreen below it... that would make more sense than the way it is now.

UIStatusBarSplitBottomRadius to me means the radius of the two, lower rounded edges on either side of the sensors, at the top of the phone.

I've also thought about one side/edge of the phone displaying many Status Bar icons. It'd work better with an iPhone 5 design though, with a flat top edge perhaps being an extension of the front screen, & used as a Status Bar.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
This worries me, though I still want to know how it would actually work.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I like the notch. Pertinent info will go on either side of the notch. I don't need too much stuff up there anyway. WiFi, battery, and LTE signal will do. Samsung apparently is already working to copy the notch in their next phone. As usual, Android phone makers will follow suit.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I like the notch. Pertinent info will go on either side of the notch. I don't need too much stuff up there anyway. WiFi, battery, and LTE signal will do. Samsung apparently is already working to copy the notch in their next phone. As usual, Android phone makers will follow suit.

For android you can auto hide the top status bar thus giving more screen area. IPhone 8 notch can't do this. Also can't be used in full screen mode either.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If you are ok being shortchanged that the 5.8in screen is actually only 5.3in.

I don't see it as being "shortchanged" as I am a consumer making an educated buying decision. I can still purchase the 8 Plus if I need the extra screen real estate. I value the other technological advancements of the new iPhone, along with the updated design, more so than I do a half inch of screen.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
You know, if they delay the release of the phone because they wanted to get rid of all the bezels after maybe seeing some of the macrumors posts... that actually might be worth waiting for!

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
You know, if they delay the release of the phone because they wanted to get rid of all the bezels after maybe seeing some of the macrumors posts... that actually might be worth waiting for!

LOL...I highly doubt they don't know what the design will be now. And I'm sure as hell they don't care about posts here.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
For android you can auto hide the top status bar thus giving more screen area. IPhone 8 notch can't do this. Also can't be used in full screen mode either.
The status bar is specifically the status bar because it is NOT supposed to be hidden 98% of the time. It's sole purpose is to give instantaneous information whenever a user glances at it. The notch is brilliant design for it specifically so that it takes a portion of the display that would NEVER be used for main display area, as there would be a dip in content.
[doublepost=1504842189][/doublepost]
LOL...I highly doubt they don't know what the design will be now. And I'm sure as hell they don't care about posts here.
Can you believe people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.