Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree?

• Yes

Votes: 206 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 222 42.5%
  • Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Votes: 94 18.0%

• Total voters

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
If you dislike the design enough why not just get a phone from a different company, most likely costing less, with a design you like more? Not trying to instigate those disliking the design, but a sincere inquiry. Maybe that’s what you’re planning on already!

Is it iOS/Apple Ecosystem?

My favorite designs were from the 4 to 5s era (SE, too, although I never owned one). I have a 7 right now and will have to upgrade at some point. A much improved camera on my phone would be very welcome for my work.

Ironically, I also need a new MBP and, although I love the current lineup’s design, I am (very patiently) waiting for a new and proven keyboard.

Maybe Apple could meet us all in the middle.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
The antenna bands on the iphone 6-8 and the dual camera and girth of the PLUS versions of those phones were the worst designs IMO.

The iphone 5/S and currently the ipad pro 11(minus) the camera bump were the best designs imo.

The notch models would've or could've taken the top spot IMO if there was no notch.

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
Anyone here that says design doesn’t matter is in utter denial and simply kidding themselves.

Good design is everything - back in the day, good design is exactly what separated Apple from the rest of the pack, and it was the cornerstone of their success and rise to prominence.

Are you saying you’d be okay buying an ugly-looking Porsche just because you’re always on the inside when you drive it? Because you prefer function over form?

Please stop shamelessly defending Apple by making convenient/illogical arguments.
There are different parts of an iPhone (front, backs, sides, camera bump). Sometimes we may have to sacrifice the aesthetics of one of the parts for functionality, but overall the phone looks good. I don’t see the big deal because overall the phone still looks good and I trust Apple had a good reason for the design.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The ‘ugly’ antenna lines on the 6 series were easily masked with a case, but there’s no way to hide this big ugly (barf) square sticking out (unless you don’t wanna use the camera at all :p ), imo of course!

If I’m paying upwards of a $1000 (Pro model) for a handheld device, it better be aesthetically pleasing!

Reactions: CrazyForCashews

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Wow, what a hideous beast.

Sure they may be the most powerful iPhones or smartphones ever made but their design is quite an eye sore, mainly due to the obtrusive ugly camera housing. There is now not one camera bump, but THREE separate camera bumps on top of the main camera housing bump. These bumps and grooves will collect dust, grime, dirt, and other crap like no tomorrow! Slapping on a case doesn't excuse lazy design!

Even the iPhone X/XS looks better than the 11 Pros because it has only one camera bump and flush sensors.

Just look at this thing:

View attachment 857081

I'm not scared of spiders but after seeing the 11 Pros, I am now. For comparison:

View attachment 857084
So exactly what is your dream phone? No camera bump? And stick with ****** photos?

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Design matters to me a lot. That camera, particularly on the pro but also the new XR looks horrible and that alone would be a deal breaker. It’s the kind of rubbish huwei would come out with but they wouldn’t be charging £1049 for 64 GB

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The ‘ugly’ antenna lines on the 6 series were easily masked with a case, but there’s no way to hide this big ugly (barf) square sticking out (unless you don’t wanna use the camera at all :p ), imo of course!

If I’m paying upwards of a $1000 (Pro model) for a handheld device, it better be aesthetically pleasing!

I heard all the same complaints when the dual-lens iPhones were introduced. People hate change.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
the S10 is half a mil thinner than iPhone 11 and 0.3 mm thinner than iPhone 11 pro and manages to have a nearly flush back and great cameras too. I’ll never switch bc i hate android os, but I think you’re inventing reasons to defend an ugly device
As I mentioned, I’m playing devils advocate.

You’re the one on the defensive. :D
[doublepost=1568186479][/doublepost]
the S10 is half a mil thinner than iPhone 11 and 0.3 mm thinner than iPhone 11 pro and manages to have a nearly flush back and great cameras too

Most of the Samsung reviews point to inferior video camera compared to the iPhones.

Perhaps they’d need a protruding camera to improve in that area?

You see, not everything about the Apple camera array is to do with still, point & shoot use. Many YouTube content creators use their phone’s video camera to capture their content.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Look worse than I was expecting based on final renders (think it's the metal rimmed cameras that stick out even further than the bump) but still look nicer than the plastic 3G/S and the chubby 2G.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Apple has been maligned as being a fashion accessory company—maybe at their worst with the original Apple Watch.

But this is a courageous move that says, "I don't care what other people think of how I look."

I think because there has been marketing on iPhone's beauty for so long, it's hard not to focus on what it looks like. And it looks really ugly to me. I've been calling the thing on the back "the carbuncle."

I won't go so far as to say it makes me feel sick, but I think because Apple is doing glamour shots close up of it as if it were beautiful, I do get that gross trypophobia feeling. If you don't know what trypophobia is you can do a Google image search. Some trypophobia makes my mouth water. This just makes me feel uneasy. I don't get why the carbuncle glass isn't frosted like the rest of the back. It looks like the lenses are frozen in amber.

If I had an iPhone 11 (I'm not buying one, but I'll take one), I'd probably not spend much time looking at the back of it ever, and this would be a moot issue.

But this is the way Apple has sold phones for a long time—with glamor shots. And it's kind of the opposite of glamorous.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
The original renders really bothered me. Really bothered me. Fisher-Price block hideous, I called it.

The reality is still odd and a bit much after years of a relatively unobtrusive bump in the corner, but Apple went for a look that reminds you of both digital cameras lenses and retro movie cameras (in terms of layout) that filmmakers used. It’s a signal that this camera is stepping into “Pro”fessional camera territory, not just a camera on a smartphone. They emphasized this during the keynote by providing photos from professional photographers and short movies/videos from filmmakers.

While still not my first design choice, I get it.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
who gives a sh*t, its on the back of the phone? The pictures will come out great. Im more concerned about how the front looks. Everyone slated airpods when they first came out, 3 years later they're almost a "fashion" piece

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
who gives a sh*t, its on the back of the phone? The pictures will come out great. Im more concerned about how the front looks. Everyone slated airpods when they first came out, 2 years later they're almost a "fashion" piece

Welcome to Mac rumours

Reactions: spangled

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
I'd make the iPhone little bit bigger so the lenses wouldn't stick out and use all the extra internal space for more battery.

murad_fourth

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2019
How can Apple offer us such an ugly iPhone in 2019-2020? How dare? Do they ignore us? What if we give up buying an iPhone because of its disgusting design? We miss you Steve Jobs, so much.

Reactions: sammy2066

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
who gives a sh*t, its on the back of the phone? The pictures will come out great. Im more concerned about how the front looks. Everyone slated airpods when they first came out, 3 years later they're almost a "fashion" piece

It’s pretty funny to watch. Apple got them to care so much about back of the phone. Uhh. Duhh. The camera sticks out. Lol. Omg. I want green! Then the moron sticks a case on it anyways and will never notice it again.

Maybe it’s a millennial thing or just whining because they need to justify not being able to afford it. These aren’t the ones fascinated by the new tech packed inside. Nope they’re too obsessed that the back isn’t pretty enough to toss into a ugly cheap 10 dollar case. So dumb on many levels.

I think it looks pretty good myself. But then again I never bought a phone, tablet, computer or tv because of what the back of what the device looks like. That’s pretty stupid.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
iPhone 11 pro, in comparison to all other iPhones, looks like a village idiot.
[doublepost=1568203739][/doublepost]
It’s pretty funny to watch. Apple got them to care so much about back of the phone. Uhh. Duhh. The camera sticks out. Lol. Omg. I want green! Then the moron sticks a case on it anyways and will never notice it again.

Maybe it’s a millennial thing or just whining because they need to justify not being able to afford it. These aren’t the ones fascinated by the new tech packed inside. Nope they’re too obsessed that the back isn’t pretty enough to toss into a ugly cheap 10 dollar case. So dumb on many levels.

I think it looks pretty good myself. But then again I never bought a phone, tablet, computer or tv because of what the back of what the device looks like. That’s pretty stupid.
You do know this is Apple we're talking about? Samsung, LG, Huawei they could all get a pass with design like this. But not Apple, which was ALWAYS about design first, and funcionality later. Dont try to defend this monstrosity with "it'll take great pictures!". The only thing that matters at Apple is "Damn that looks nice!"
[doublepost=1568203896][/doublepost]
Look worse than I was expecting based on final renders (think it's the metal rimmed cameras that stick out even further than the bump) but still look nicer than the plastic 3G/S and the chubby 2G.
What? You serious? better than 2G or 3G? 2G was a leap forwards back then when it came to phone design, 3G sure was plasticy at the back, yet it was still elegant and nice to look at.

Reactions: CrazyForCashews
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.