The mac store is nothing but greed.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyguy206, Jan 7, 2011.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

This will cause programs that would have been free to cost 99cent to $1.99. most developers will no longer give us as much as they use to because they can now sell it as parts. And this will end up costing us more money then it did in the past. I am a apple fan but this is nothing more then greed.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's a possibility, but which app has done that?

3. tkermit, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I personally wouldn't call it greed, but, with some apps, I've already noticed the development you've described.

For Example:

I Love Stars. Used to be free. Now $1 and available exclusively on the app store.

Name Mangler. My version 2.0 came free of charge (Donationware). Now $10 for the current version, 2.3.2, on the app store.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Tons of free apps in there currently, so obviously not every author is forcing you to shell out $.99 for their work.

TextWrangler could easily sell for $4.99, IMO. It's free.
    Offical Twitter app cost money for the previous version. It's now free.
    Aperture used to cost $199. It's now $79.99

The potential for greed abounds. How dare Apple give authors the ability to easily charge for their work, instead of hoping people would see their PayPal button on their website and donate.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's up to the devs, Apple isn't forcing them to make it paid instead of free. I do understand it though. When distributing it through their own website, making it paid (even 99c) will very likely reduce the amount of users because people do (or at least should) care about where they give their credit card numbers so unless they absolutely need it, they might pass. Now that it's in App Store, most people have already given their CC numbers so it's not stopping them from buying it.

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

This is exactly how I feel. Many developers had no opportunity to charge for the apps before because of the work involved and such low returns because their app was so unknown. With the App Store they have an opportunity to make money and there is nothing wrong with that. It is up to the developer to decide if it's right to charge money for their app, and the customer to decide if it is worth paying for it.

But of course anything new has to have its share of people whining.

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Greed? Yes

Worse, the end of creativity with a Mac as we used to know it. Anyone who thinks it's not is only kidding themselves. Sad, but true.

This is the beginning of the end. A word that comes to mind is "closed".

Closed to anything other than what Apple allows. Just wait. It may take some time & then again it may not, but the days of developers creating great software for the Mac are over. To use one of Apple's well worn slogans, this changes (read ruins) everything.

Apple is greedy & the public is greedy, expecting so much for free or just a few bucks. Do you work for free? Who's kidding whom? Look at what free did to the music industry.

Such a shame too, just as market share was growing nicely, Apple throws a wrench in the works.

Greed?

Dangerous!

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Go back to using Linux if you want free.

Nothing about this is closed either, apps can still be open and be on the App Store. This isn't like the iOS app store where certain APIs are closed source Apple copyrighted stuff, and even in the case of iOS you can make open apps as well.

You are really hitting the pipe pretty hard dude, you need to just relax and realize how much this helps Apple sell hardware more than hurt. You know how many people have no clue how much of this software even existed before the App Store? Pretty much the majority don't know where to find apps, but now they do. It's a win-win really.

There will always be developers who choose not to make apps for the App Store because of certain policies as well. Until Apple forces you to only run apps that come from the App Store then you are doing nothing but stirring up conspiracy theories.

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

What is greed?

"Us" wanting developers to produce and update and distribute apps for free?​
    Or developers seeing a relatively-easy way to charge money for their creations?​

I'm sure there are lots of discussions that can be had about software distribution models, but I think you need to think about how you want to define "greed." Dictionaries will say something along the lines of "an excessive desire, usually for material things." Just think about which group is acting more in line with that definition.

10. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Very well said. In complete agreement.

11. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

People are greedy if they don't give me whatever I want, whenever I want it, for free, without any strings. They're also greedy if they expect anything in return. It's all about me. ME ME ME.

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I develop software. I invite you to wash my car and cut the grass in my garden; you may polish my shoes as well if you like it. All free of charge of course, because you wouldn't want to appear a greedy person, would you?

13. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's too hard to tell as of yet. Most of the stuff on the app store at the moment is junk. If Skype or Chrome enters the mac app store with a price tag, then I'll agree.

14. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

There is no chance at all of that happening. Absolutely NO ONE would buy Skype, Chrome or whatever similarly major free apps that are available across many platforms. Why would anyone pay money for them when you can just download them for free? You are insane if you think that it could ever happen.

No, it is pretty obvious that free apps from major developers like that are going to remain free. The only ones that are going to charge money for apps that were previously free are ones that are going exclusive to the App Store. They are mostly developers who previously had Paypal donations on their sites and such too.

Some apps are even being sold for less now than they were previously, so I don't see the relationship at all with greed on the App Store.

15. Alizay Mirza macrumors newbie

Alizay Mirza

Greed, I don't so, because there are news speculation that Mac Appstore is cracked and that would definitely frustrate the developers rather making them greedy, LOL

16. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

All the free software that you have got over the years may have been free to you but in most cases will not have been free to the developer. They put time and effort into making that software and that is not free to a developer. More often than not you will have downloaded that Free app from a website, a hosting account that the developer will have paid for out of their own pocket. After all this the developer still let you have that application for free.

I don't think that the app store will lead to greed, if anything it will just mean that you (the user) will end up getting more apps for free and much more conveniently. Developers now don't have to spend money on web hosting, they don't have to spend time (and possibly even money) advertising their app so people will get to know about it. You the user don't have to spend hours searching on google, posting on forums trying to find a free piece of software to do a job.

The Mac app store is a win-win situation for both developer and user.

On a final note, if a developer wishes to charge a one off fee of $0.99 for an app that you will use regularly, possibly requesting features, wanting to be updated to run faster, make use of new features (like a 64-bit version) etc etc then I say let them! If you aren't willing to spend $0.99 to support that piece of software then exactly who is being greedy?

17. Queso macrumors G4

By the same token the man I buy tomatoes from at our local farmer's market is just being "greedy" by asking me to pay for them. After all, they grow in the ground, why shouldn't they just be free?

Or maybe I'm being "greedy" by wanting tomatoes. Why can't I just eat dirt?

Either way, the Mac Store has simply created a marketplace for people with something to sell to show their wares. Customers can either buy or not. This is the same way commerce and trade have occurred since the first Mesopotamian cities 7-8000 years back. Why is it suddenly so bad?

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My use of CyberDuck is a great example of why the app store makes a little more sense. I used CD for about 3 years before I became comfortable with donating. Earlier, I did not donate because it seemed CD was not super popular, it was not a household name among people wanting an easy way to upload or download files via FTP. Once it seemed that more people knew what CD was (or that I was paying more attention to what people used) I donated an amount I saw fit. That amount, by the way, was very much in line with the cost of Transmit at the time. I have not donated since then.

Raw Photo Processor to me was one of the best RPP out there. I was impressed with it's usability and handling of my precious photos. I donated a sum that I felt fair, but would have happily done it sooner if I knew where the money was going.

Alternatively, I use "donate ware" and find myself not donating because it is not as obvious that I should or could. I think the app store opens up a way for developers to get paid. But I find if you pay for an app on the iPad and the iPhone, there should be some discount. I speak specifically about Angry Birds. I'm not spending another dime on something that I will likely only play on a portable device. I spend 12 hours at minimum working at a computer, I don't care to sit there after hours and play angry birds on a 30" display. However, I would not mind having the option. I think at some point there should be tier pricing if you own the app on another platform. I realize further development went into bringing it to the app store, but frankly, I still see the opportunity to profit greatly.

I don't call this greed, I call this business and if you don't like it then you'll have to find a suitable free alternative.

19. Squadleader macrumors regular

They are in business......and I like my dividend checks...

20. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Sure, there will be developers asking money in the AppStore that previously gave their software away. Some may even think they can get away asking something ridiculous.

At the same time, you will have lots of applications doing more or less the same collected together in one place, making it much easier to compare price/features/updates/etc, which in turn makes it a lot more competitive for developers. This will either make prices go down, or quality go up, but either way the user benefits.

As for the comment made by ovrlrd, did you read the developer guidelines they must adhere to before entry in the AppStore is allowed? I can tell you there ARE things in there that forbid you to use undocumented API's and a lot of similar requirements to iOS to be allowed in the AppStore. At the same time, the reasons to be denied are just as vague and broad. There most definitely is a real possibility for a scenario as described by roadbloc based on the rules of the AppStore.

21. Blu101, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

+1

I can understand the *possibility* for greed, and there's always a few greedy bastards here and there, but this would've eventually happened with or without an app store (plenty of people out there selling software at ridiculous prices through their own website or other channels). It's up to us to see who we think is greedy and what software we think is overpriced. We still hold the power of choice, even if we sometimes exercise bad judgment, dumb choices or just give in to impulse shopping. In the end, we learn who is who in terms of who's good and who's not. Remember that the app store offers us the chance to write reviews and rate each app - this is a powerful tool for us all to praise good apps and warn others of bad ones (or over priced ones). This is our chance to band together and protect ourselves. Apple simply gives us the door. Use it.

On the + side, this is a very good thing for all of us, users and devs. Why? Because it gives an unknown dev a central location to host their app and us users the same central location with which to find it, whereas otherwise it may never happen (advertising on your own isn't cheap). I'm not 14 and don't have all day to browse the web for "stuff" for my mac. I like having a central main location, aka one stop shop, for my needs and wants. If it's not there, then I can branch out and google it, or whatever. I also like how it's controlled by Apple. People complain Apple's ecosystem is too tightly controlled. With all due respect - screw you. I've experienced MS's "open" (not really open at all but whatever) ecosystem and it flat out sucks - more problems than solutions, more headaches than a pleasurable experience, and way more crap software that just doesn't work, period - in one word: chaos (and lots of greed in THAT environment). Through Apple, I feel like I'm getting something that has been screened, or previewed, for some sort of criteria that Apple feels it should meet in order for it to be "ready" for us, and for the most part, it works - software is great, efficient and with minimal bugs - saves me a ton of worry, anger and frustration. And I like that the devs that have software that deserves a price tag get paid, because it allows them to earn a living and have that much more time to give us updates and next versions, etc. Like I said, the opportunity for greed is there, but that's everywhere, you can't stop that. Hopefully good devs will offer free content for us that pleases them and charge us fair prices for software that made them work for it. Be happy that we have this for everyone involved under Apple, it really is as good as it gets right now.

My $0.02. Cheers.

ps: I also don't mind paying a small charge for an app if it removes or prevents most, if not all, ads from it. Charging a small amount per app gives a dev this ability (we all need to pay the mortgage one way or the other). In case you're wondering, I'm not a dev.

22. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Developers aren't monks. They didn't take a vow of poverty. They are trying to earn a living.
    Here's what I see:
    I think this is going to be great for these folks. They'll get PAID for their work!
    And we have some sense that the app will be of at least some minimal quality and safe for our machines.

If you think an app should be free and it isn't, don't buy it.
    If you think an app is overpriced, don't buy it and contact the developer.

I love the new mac app store. I love that all my purchases for my iphone and ipad and now macbook pro will be on the same account and billing.

Just my .02 on the pile.

23. reubs macrumors 68000

I'm not sure I see this. I think it's a winner for us because developers are going to be getting A LOT more publicity. I've been on the fence for the app Today because it allows me to create a new iCal event w/o bothering with iCal's edit window. It was $25 before the app store, but now it's $10. What will happen with an upgrade, I don't know, but $15 less is a good deal.

Also, Courier from RealMac was $25 before the app store, and now it's marked at $5 as an app store exclusive. Previously no one would find unless they were specifically looking for such an app. Because it can get highlighted by Apple, Realmac can cut the price drastically.

I don't know if this signals a potentially closed system, but it looks to me like consumers AND developers will do well here.

24. angrylawyer macrumors member

so how does this work now?

I saw pages on there last night and it got me wondering, if I downloaded pages. Would it be exactly as if I had installed pages off the iWork cd? Or will I have to open the app store and run the pages app? or will it be something in between?

25. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Pretty much yeah. Download a free app if you want to test and see how the process works.