Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I am thinking I should become an "analyst" because I have been saying this is what they would do ever since the talks of their new lineup surfaced.

Apple is NOT going to back off that high-end price once they've gotten over 30 million people to pay that much. :D

Reactions: JediZenMaster

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
And on the last earnings call Tim Cook said the X was Apple’s best seller every week since it had gone on sale. I think I’ll trust Tim Cook over a Wall Street analyst.

The thing is: Cook can't lie on an earnings call.

Okay, technically he could, but that would constitute a felony and would come out sooner or later anyway, while possibly enabling shareholders to sue them.

tooloud10

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
Yes, but if you read my post- which was at least partially in jest- the poke was at the payment plan mentality, not a poke at Apple themselves. As such, what's it matter if there are other phones- just get the monthly payment low enough and charge whatever price for ANY iPhone model.

One man's 'payment plan' mentality is another man's 'interest-free loan' mentality.

Also, for every person that overspends by paying monthly, there's another person that uses the monthly payments to force themselves to stick to a 2-year upgrade cycle. I guess I just don't see any downside to the monthly plans.

Reactions: KENESS

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yea that would be fine if all iPhone's had the same features but they don't, the iPhone X has an OLED screen and Face ID both of which cost more to make than the LCD and Touch ID of previous iPhone's, the reason this years may be a little cheaper is probably due to the costs being lowered compared to last year. I get your point tho but my argument is that if someone doesn't like the cost of the iPhone X they can always get the iPhone 8, SE or even the 7 it's not like Apple are forcing people to buy the X.

Personally i don't like monthly plans i prefer to buy outright but the Apple upgrade program does exist for those that do want to pay monthly.

I feel like we are not talking about the same topic at all. I'm solely poking fun at the monthly payment plan mentality. It would be the same if we were talking about buying clothes or furniture or tires. The entirety of my jest is in the mentality of "if the monthly payment is low enough, I don't care what the thing- any thing- costs." That's what I'm playing with in my reply... not ignoring that consumers have more than one phone model from which to choose... or not choose, nor pushing payment plans as the only way to pay for them.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
The X is already big screen-wise and feels quite hefty, can’t imagine how a Plus would feel. I also don’t understand why there isn’t going to be a smaller version of the LCD version, 6.1 inches is just too much.

The issue for me is that the X is not wide enough. Lots of wasted space on videos and the keyboard is also too tiny. I want the keyboard of the Plus

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
The mistake is in seeing it as just a phone, these devices are no longer just phones in fact people spend more time doing other things than actually making phone calls or txting. These devices also have great cameras, great screens and so on they are more like mini computers than they are phone’s.

Now that's marketing talking there. As someone who manages MDM and 3rd Party Access on user owned phones, That's not the case in most instances. Cameras, screen sizes and such are pretty much selfie tools for Snapchat at best. Tools for productivity ..right...

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Now that's marketing talking there. As someone who manages MDM and 3rd Party Access on user owned phones, That's not the case in most instances. Cameras, screen sizes and such are pretty much selfie tools for Snapchat at best. Tools for productivity ..right...

I dissagree, people take brilliant photo’s with their mobile phones what about the Bokeh effect photo’s people can take, the fact that people can watch movies and tv shows on their phones, the technology and features are there.

Reactions: tooloud10

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That's easy--it's because they value the new phone and features more than they value the $400 (or whatever) it costs to upgrade. It's impossible to determine whether the cost of an upgrade is 'worth it' for someone else.

Obviously. But that doesn't mean it makes sense to me. If someone thinks (hypothetically) an exclusive 2018 Animoji is worth $400 I think they need help.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
One man's 'payment plan' mentality is another man's 'interest-free loan' mentality.

Also, for every person that overspends by paying monthly, there's another person that uses the monthly payments to force themselves to stick to a 2-year upgrade cycle. I guess I just don't see any downside to the monthly plans.

I wasn't faulting a payment plan as a way to pay, I was faulting a mentality of "as long as the monthly payment is low enough" any price for the phone is OK.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That’s still very expensive, especially when you compare it to the Galaxy s9

Thats True. But given we know traditionally Apple’s hardware is priced higher than most competitors in almost every sector with smart Watches, computers, HomePod, iPads ect. The one Product I find competitively priced is the Airpods, with the technology and battery, I would happily pay over $169.00 for those, they are that great.

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
If thats the actual prices, while still a bit high, I think thats Reasonable. Not fair, not good, but reasonable for apple. I personally want a 256 gig iPhone X plus or what ever it is they will call it, and if I can get that for the current price of a 256 X, then thats reasonable for me.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
So it is basically a rehash of all my previous post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...iphone-mbom-much-lower-than-iphone-x.2111219/

May be iPhone SE will be spilt into two model, iPhone SE2 and iPhone SE $349 and $249.

Honestly I really dont like this lineup. It is very un-Apple and way too complex.

And we haven't heard anything on New Antenna Design, which is needed for the 4x4 1Gbps LTE I am hoping Apple will ship with next iPhone.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
As a happy iPhone X owner, I certainly don't feel like I've been a beta tester of an immature product.
My experience with it has been spotless, and technologically wise, this thing was priced a bit higher than an 8 Plus, which I also considered, but not high enough to qualify as "arrogant strategy".
A laptop with as high a screen resolution, 3D face recognition and battery life would have cost about the same, and in a year time, I'll offload the X for 50%+ of its value, something I would not be able to do if I had spent $1k on a laptop.

First and for most... iPhone X is still a phone.. it is not laptop, it does way less thing laptop can do.

I will never find a justification in spending a grand or more on a phone. I can easily spend over two grands on nice laptop which will last me for very long time. On phone, no.

Trian

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2011
Athens, Greece
Apple is being increasingly arrogant with their hardware pricing.
We can see it pretty much all across their line -both products and accessories-, except perhaps the basic iPad 9.7.

The X is nice, but at €1200/1400 a pop where I live, for many (most?) people this is over a month's salary. We are also talking upper-range big-brand laptop prices here, touchscreen, convertible, SSD and all. So guess what many people will choose... A work-horse that will be good for the next 4-5 years -on average-, or this year's super-phone*?

The 8 and the 7 are similarly expensive. And who wants to spend close to €1000 for a product that was released 1 or 2 years back?! Thank you, Apple, for allowing us the privilege...

This year, if they release a more decently-priced phone, I'll go for it. Ideally an updated SE, as I'm a huge fan of the size. I won't even mind a price bump, IF it is justified. Otherwise, I'll probably sell my Watch and 6S and go for a decent Huawei phone + Android smartwatch. Bought my dad a Mate 10 Lite the other day and I pretty much envied it (except the size).

*given that we usually upgrade phones every other year, the economics don't quite add up

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Apple is being increasingly arrogant with their hardware pricing.
We can see it pretty much all across their line -both products and accessories-, except perhaps the basic iPad 9.7.

The X is nice, but at €1200/1400 a pop where I live, for many (most?) people this is over a month's salary. We are also talking upper-range big-brand laptop prices here, touchscreen, convertible, SSD and all. So guess what many people will choose... A work-horse that will be good for the next 4-5 years -on average-, or this year's super-phone*?

The 8 and the 7 are similarly expensive. And who wants to spend close to €1000 for a product that was released 1 or 2 years back?! Thank you, Apple, for allowing us the privilege...

This year, if they release a more decently-priced phone, I'll go for it. Ideally an updated SE, as I'm a huge fan of the size. I won't even mind a price bump, IF it is justified. Otherwise, I'll probably sell my Watch and 6S and go for a decent Huawei phone + Android smartwatch. Bought my dad a Mate 10 Lite the other day and I pretty much envied it (except the size).

*given that we usually upgrade phones every other year, the economics don't quite add up

Well I think the EU has VAT. So that is 20% ? more. But I know, even without the VAT it is still expensive.
Apple's top range iPhone used to be affordable by many, now they have hike up the price, it makes the buying decision harder for certain group of people, and they dont want to spend $800 for a mid range Apple Phone. Which really isn't mid range in terms of Smartphone. But it certainly gives that sense of it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Still overpriced for relatively mid range iPods with calling capability. They also still need to get rid of screen cancer (notch), reintroduce Touch ID in-screen and use higher capacity batteries. Pricing should be as follows.

iPhone SE2 $299
iPhone 8S $399
iPhone 8S Plus $499
iPhone X2 LCD $599
iPhone X2 $699
iPhone X2 Plus $799

Reactions: Moorepheus

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
So it is basically a rehash of all my previous post.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...iphone-mbom-much-lower-than-iphone-x.2111219/

May be iPhone SE will be spilt into two model, iPhone SE2 and iPhone SE $349 and $249.

Honestly I really dont like this lineup. It is very un-Apple and way too complex.

And we haven't heard anything on New Antenna Design, which is needed for the 4x4 1Gbps LTE I am hoping Apple will ship with next iPhone.

I doubt that. There will be just the new SE. I also disagree that the 7/7+ will be sticking around. More models will not increase sales IMO. The market is saturated, and people are keeping their devices longer. However, more choice is a good thing so let's see what Timmy does. The rapid growth in Apples Services Division does give them some flexibility in iPhone that has not been there prior. :apple:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Anything priced over $650 won't sell !

It's NOT Rocket Science, anybody who watched March Madness this past weekend saw the TV Commercials by Verizon, AT&T, & Sprint ... their sales are caving-in, BIG TIME.

It should be Crystal Clear to everyone that enthusiasm for upgrading has completely evaporated !

And the reason for that is crystal clear to most ... insufficient reason(s) to do so !

Newest rumors out of Asia say that the Asian smartphone manufacturers are going with Touch ID under Glass instead of trying to duplicate / replicate Apple's costly Face ID ... when the price differential is $300 or more, that's definitely a smart move !

Apple will very-likely stick with Face ID (vs Touch ID, and the all-important Hardware Home Button) as long as Tim Cook is still CEO ... they won't change unless / until Tim is forced out (mostly because they don't want to admit a dumb decision).

Tomorrow, Tim will pitch new Apple products to the Education market, the same User group Apple very recently used the "What's a Computer ?" TV Commercial to try to attract !

If anybody thinks the Tim Cook-run Apple is doing their job, they simply aren't paying close attention !

Apple needs to RAISE the educational bar, NOT LOWER it !

Reactions: mi7chy

JimmyTW87

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Apple must have realised that people are not willing to pay a four digit figure for a phone. Better later than never. Their arrogant strategy was punished by customers and the iPhone X basically flopped, which is good. I just feel sorry for all the iPhone X customers that basically paid an outrageous price just to be beta testers of an immature product.

An immature, but GREAT product.

Reactions: Pipper99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.