Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milenajane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
Hi all,

I own a brand new Macbook Pro 13 inch (2017) with Touch Bar, bought it in July 2017.

I'm experiencing two problems with it:
-some keys are not responsive, have a high pitched tone, are harder to press,... resulting in letters missing in the texts I write on my laptop
-he sometimes doesn't wake up from sleep until a couple of minutes later (nothing works, keys, trackpad, closing and opening it)

Now, here's where I screwed up. I 100% procrastinated going to Apple with these issues. I thought I'd do it next week, but it became a month, two months, and then I flipped over a glass of water on my f*cking keyboard.

It worked fine but I turned it off and flipped it over. Left it for a week and a half on a bed of rice.

Luckily the damage was minor. I took it to the Apple Store for the keyboard issues and said I'd also spoiled some water on it. They did and an MRI scan which only showed water damage on the battery. They also cleaned up the keyboard from dust/crumbs etc. Didn't fix my keyboard issues, no amelioration whatsoever either.

The problems I stated (which I'm experiencing since I got it) are recurrent with these models. Read about many cases of free topcase replacements. Such a replacement would be ideal for me, as it would not only fix my keyboarissues (hopefully), but it would also get me a new battery (as it's a part of the topcase).

The thing is though that because of my **** timing Apple probably won't take my Macbook in for a replacement, because there's some water damage on the battery (it works fine though, I'm using it).
My point of view: the keyboard issues have NOTHING to do with the battery, even if you don't believe me when I say I've had them since I got it it makes sense that the mechanical problems of the keyboard couldn't be related with the minor water damage. I need someone at Apple to believe that... but I'm probabbly being super naive and hopeful.

This would be one of those situations where Apple could totally, legally, refuse any replacements and make me pay for everything, or show me some "coulance" and understanding and outstand themselves by doing something they're not obliged to do at all which is take my word, acknowledge the sense this makes and offer to replace my topcase for the recurrent keyboard issues.

Have any of you experienced such flexibility in their policy from Apple? Had any replacements done on a damaged device? Have any tips on how to handle this situation?

FYI, a topcase replacement would cost me around 500 euros.

Thank you,

Miléna

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In the past, when I took a damaged MacBook to the Apple store, they offered to fix all of the MacBook problems for a flat fee of $700 regardless of what was wrong with it.

kadify

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
Did you get applecare? Applecare includes repair for accidental damage. If not, I would maybe take it to a different apple store and just not tell them you spilled water on it. Just demonstrate the keyboard issues and hopefully they'll fix it for free. Now that only works if the first apple store didn't log in that you'd damaged the computer in one of their systems. I'm not sure if apple does that or not.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Since you spilled the water on it, you have two choices:
1. Pay for the repair,
or
2. Start shopping for a replacement.

grandoflex

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
If you spilled water you might be able to claim for the repair as accidental damage on your home insurance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.