Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
The issue with elevated blacks has been reported on several forums, and some people believe it may have to do with the way the streaming version of the movie was graded. However, it varies according to which display you're watching it on: I had to adjust the black levels on my Sony X930D, but not on my Samsung Q9 or on my Philips Dolby Vision TV. Playback of the actual UHD Blu-Ray disc is virtually flawless across all three displays.
The UHD blu-ray for Blade Runner only has HDR10. DV was added later for the streaming version.

dazultra

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
It's a beta. You can only really complain when it comes out of beta and you have the same issue. I have had no problems with it switching between HDR, Dolby vision and SDR/framerates on the Netflix and iTunes movies apps.

Turns out a large part of my problem was, tv setting for HDMI sources. I had to (manually switch them to Enhanced HDMI) and the signal/Apple TV hdr become bright and dynamic with depth again! Almost matching the native HDR output from my Sony TV. Also a audio formats seems to be passing through too, with the enhanced HDMI turned on. As the lights on my Yamaha sound bar have light up for the first time . A must setting that I think most would look over on there TV’s. (Sony’s) isn’t on by default.
[doublepost=1510111486][/doublepost]HDR is now awsome! Amazing tonal curve. Detail has taken a massive step up with enhanced HDMI running at it top spec on your tv

Tarheels23

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Ok so I signed up for the beta program last week, but still don't see the option on my 4k ATV.

Someone please help........

n1ck

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Ok so I signed up for the beta program last week, but still don't see the option on my 4k ATV.

Someone please help........

To get it to appear I had to sign up with my iCloud account and then log out and log back in on the ATV.

For some reason signing up with my iTunes account wouldn't give me the option even though I used it to get the beta profile on my iPad.

Reactions: Tarheels23

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
Anyone using DirecTV Now with the new beta? I want to test it out but will tick the wife off something fierce if it causes issues with DirecTV Now.

Tarheels23

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
To get it to appear I had to sign up with my iCloud account and then log out and log back in on the ATV.

For some reason signing up with my iTunes account wouldn't give me the option even though I used it to get the beta profile on my iPad.

That worked!!! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Tarheels23

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
If we set the Match Dynamic Range & Match Frame Rate to On, what would be the idea Format, HDMI Output, and Chroma? Or does it matter with Match Content on?

My display is the LG B6

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
If we set the Match Dynamic Range & Match Frame Rate to On, what would be the idea Format, HDMI Output, and Chroma? Or does it matter with Match Content on?

My display is the LG B6

Leave your set in 4K SDR. Don’t worry about Chroma. Then Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate.

Reactions: dman67

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
I was wondering that as well...I figured leaving HDR on by default for the UI would be fine?

In part may depend on how much SDR vs HDR content you watch to minimize auto switching. Most of us still likely watch mostly SDR content which is what I keep it in. Additionally I like to know that content is indeed playing in HDR10 or DV so when I have it in SDR and an HDR10 or DV video plays I get the transient indicator show up on my LG OLED. If it was already in DV or HDR10 mode then I would not get the indicator when a video of the same type is played.

Reactions: dman67

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Any reason to leave it in SDR default vs HDR?

The problem with leaving it in HDR is that most apps are in SDR and the Apple TV does not yet switch down to SDR when viewing them. I use Directv Now as my provider. I do not want my SDR programming to be blown out. Given the limited options in HDR at he moment it is better to leave a set in SDR and change when a DV or HDR signal is detected.

Of course you won't get the screensavers in HDR but that's the price you pay.

Tarheels23

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010

I was wondering the same thing. DV works awesome, but HDR movies won't play for me, in HDR unless HDR is enabled. Does leaving HDR enabled play EVERYTHING in HDR with the exception of shows/movies in DV?

Last edited:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
If you have an LED backlight and are eco conscious, you should be aware that HDR can consume as much as 2.5x the power as SDR since the backlight will be a max all of the time. That is significant for just sitting in a menu. If you have an OLED TV, this is much less of an issue.
But as others have said, this is mostly about matching the majority of available content. This recommendation will likely change in the coming years.
[doublepost=1510243762][/doublepost]
I was wondering the same thing. DV works awesome, but HDR movies won't play in HDR unless HDR is enabled. Does leaving HDR enabled play EVERYTHING in HDR with the exception of DV?
DV is HDR. It is just a different standard than HDR10. The point of content matching is that you won’t need to leave HDR enabled to have DV content play in HDR.

Reactions: Donfor39

Tarheels23

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
If you have an LED backlight and are eco conscious, you should be aware that HDR can consume as much as 2.5x the power as SDR since the backlight will be a max all of the time. That is significant for just sitting in a menu. If you have an OLED TV, this is much less of an issue.
But as others have said, this is mostly about matching the majority of available content. This recommendation will likely change in the coming years.
[doublepost=1510243762][/doublepost]
DV is HDR. It is just a different standard than HDR10. The point of content matching is that you won’t need to leave HDR enabled to have DV content play in HDR.

Yes, I understand that. I may have worded my question wrong. Movies listed in HDR10 won't play in HDR10 without me enabling HDR. They just play in SDR. Movies listed as DV play just fine though.

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Yes, I understand that. I may have worded my question wrong. Movies listed in HDR10 won't play in HDR10 without me enabling HDR. They just play in SDR. Movies listed as DV play just fine though.
Huh. That is odd. I just watched Planet of the Apes on iTunes and it auto-switched to HDR on my LG OLED TV when the default was set to 4K SDR.

Reactions: Tarheels23

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ

I was having that issue too. Check to make sure Quick Start is enabled. I had it disabled and that was the issue on my end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.