Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Hi guys - I really need som help here (please) !!

Just installed a fresh new Sintech Adapter and WD SN750 1TB SSD bought from Amazon in my iMac 27” Late 2015 (running Catalina 10.15.4, SilentKnight reports EFI firmware 176.0.0.0.0 is up to date) both parts should be compatible following various articles that i found.

But my Mac can't find the disk in Disk Utility (with expanded the view) ,-(((
I boot into recovery mode from a USB-boot (also Catalina 10.15.4) and have also tried via a USB-Ubuntu with the disk utility with no luck .....
(from amazon, try this)
Additional steps:

4a) for me the Disk Utility would not show the Drive, so what I had to do was shut down the MacBook.

4b) When the device has fully shut down press the Power button again, when you press the power button hold down the following Keys: 'Command/cmd' and 'Option (sometimes this is shared with the alt key as it is with mine)' and 'P' and 'R'

4c) Hold the 4 keys, you will here the MacBook chime, keep it held until it Chimes again and then release

4d) After then wait for the MacBook to boot up into the Recovery Partition and look in Disk Utility, you should see the drive in Disk Utility now. The laptop will reboot a few times before booting into the Recovery environment

tinodb

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2020
The Hague, Netherlands
Yes. It seems only the 2015 can wake without kernel panics.

Edit: pardon my ignorance, I didn't read the first post in this thread (stumbled in somewhere through a search query and seeing 256 pages didn't think of going back that far :). So I guess I'm lucky with this model!

---

With Catalina too? I only found this post by you, which is encouraging as my SSD died and the dealer offers a E169,- replacement with a Transcend Jetdrive vs E686,- for the original...

I must say I can't find reports online of people with a (Mid-) 2015 having those panics, only 2014, 2017 etc. But I would like to be sure because I don't really want to degrade my MBP to a desktop device that needs plugging in all the time.

I'm also seeing reports of 2019 16" having this issue without even replacing the drive. I'd say that gives a bit of hope for the rest of us as it probably means Apple is incentivized more to fix it, right? :D

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Edit: pardon my ignorance, I didn't read the first post in this thread (stumbled in somewhere through a search query and seeing 256 pages didn't think of going back that far :). So I guess I'm lucky with this model!

---

With Catalina too? I only found this post by you, which is encouraging as my SSD died and the dealer offers a E169,- replacement with a Transcend Jetdrive vs E686,- for the original...

I must say I can't find reports online of people with a (Mid-) 2015 having those panics, only 2014, 2017 etc. But I would like to be sure because I don't really want to degrade my MBP to a desktop device that needs plugging in all the time.

I'm also seeing reports of 2019 16" having this issue without even replacing the drive. I'd say that gives a bit of hope for the rest of us as it probably means Apple is incentivized more to fix it, right? :D
The 2015 Pro, 2015 Air, and 2017 Air do not have this problem because the nvme driver is in the firmware.

Which size and model transcend drive are you getting?

Last edited:

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Hello everyone!

writing from my new SSD (just booted from CCC copy, and clone it to the internal SSD)

WD BLACK SN750 500GB version, THIS https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter Sintech NGFF M.2 THIS

Macbook Air Early 2015
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-24 a las 21.21.49.png

Before:
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-24 a las 21.23.58.png

After:
Captura de pantalla 2020-04-24 a las 20.41.23.png

THE WD SN750 that gave some problems to some users here does not give me the same problems to me ATM

Wakes good from sleep, etc

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Hello everyone!

writing from my new SSD (just booted from CCC copy, and clone it to the internal SSD)

WD BLACK SN750 500GB version, THIS https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07MH2P5ZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter Sintech NGFF M.2 THIS

Macbook Air Early 2015
View attachment 908938

Before:
View attachment 908942

After:
View attachment 908943

THE WD SN750 that gave some problems to some users here does not give me the same problems to me ATM

Wakes good from sleep, etc
You are lucky. I was about to post that the sn750 does not work properly on the macbook pro 13” early 2015.

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
When i bought my macbook pro 13” early 215 i thought that 128gb would be enough. 256gb was also quite more expensive. Well it was not enough storage. But a while ago i came across this forum and it seemed a good opportunity for bigger storage.
Online i did my research and also found a good deal on the 1tb sn750 from Western Digital. I also went with a Sintech m.2 adapter as it was highly recommended in here. I was able to install this properly and it worked great at first sight. But pretty soon the issues came..
Ionvmecontroller kernel panics..
Disabling “put storage to sleep” delayed those reboots in sleep but i never got rid of it. I tried fully disabling hibernate mode in the terminal but that didnt help either. I am so sick of the reboots when i want to start using the laptop that im replacing my fast 1tb drive for the stock 128gb drive.
Maybe theres a solution that ive missed but someone messaged me using the exact same machine and the same ssd. He couldnt work it out either.
So i would say, an nvme ssd is a great way to upgrade your storage for a lot less, but just pick another drive that gets many good reviews by mac users.

Menkveld

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Could you test it with hibernatemode=25? Thanks.
Takes longer to wake up ... default was at 3 (I set it back - what do you guys recommend or use ? )

works with no issues btw

the WD SN750 works great for me...also it does not run that hot /always below 45c

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
When i bought my macbook pro 13” early 215 i thought that 128gb would be enough. 256gb was also quite more expensive. Well it was not enough storage. But a while ago i came across this forum and it seemed a good opportunity for bigger storage.
Online i did my research and also found a good deal on the 1tb sn750 from Western Digital. I also went with a Sintech m.2 adapter as it was highly recommended in here. I was able to install this properly and it worked great at first sight. But pretty soon the issues came..
Disabling “put storage to sleep” delayed those reboots in sleep but i never got rid of it. I tried fully disabling hibernate mode in the terminal but that didnt help either. I am so sick of the reboots when i want to start using the laptop that im replacing my fast 1tb drive for the stock 128gb drive.
Maybe theres a solution that ive missed but someone messaged me using the exact same machine and the same ssd. He couldnt work it out either.
So i would say, an nvme ssd is a great way to upgrade your storage for a lot less, but just pick another drive that gets many good reviews by mac users.

Menkveld
exactly what kind of adapter are you using?
maybee you can try the same i have and if not return it to amzn ? ;D

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Menkveld
Others have reported issues with the WD 750. For some, it worked perfectly at first and the panics started later on.

I've used an Intel 600p, HP ex900, Lexar nm600. Yes, these are cheap drives but they work perfectly and are fast enough for basic use. Maybe try the Intel 760p or Adata sx8200 Pro?

How long have you been using the sn750?

Last edited:

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
I tested this adapter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FYY3H5F/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

The other guy that messaged me tried these:

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
How long have you been using the sn750?
Hi, just installed it today, this is not my work machine, as we are all work from home atm in europe i can use it as my
"work" computer next week.
Excel, PS, heavy web apps. I can collect a lot of data if it does not crash next week it will not fail.

Reactions: Audit13

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Hi, just installed it today, this is not my work machine, as we are all work from home atm in europe i can use it as my
"work" computer next week.
Excel, PS, heavy web apps. I can collect a lot of data if it does not crash next week it will not fail.
It doesnt crash when youre using it. Exactly the opposite of that, when its at sleep. It can happen when its at sleep or when you try to wake it from sleep.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It doesnt crash when youre using it. Exactly the opposite of that, when its at sleep. It can happen when its at sleep or when you try to wake it from sleep.
Could you confirm that the MacBook is an early 2015? This crashing is something that I have only experienced when using a mid-2014 Pro and mid-2013 Air with a nvme drive.

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
Thanks. I think your post is the first I have seen where a 2015 has the wake-from-sleep issue.
I also posted it on another forum and this dude messaged me;
[automerge]1587764733[/automerge]
I dont think there is a solution to my problem. I have tried a lot. Multiple installations, latest bootrom etc etc.
If this combination is just not working and there is no fix, im trying to help others and advise against the sn750 with the macbook pro early 2015 13”.

Attachments

• A75BF942-EFD4-4693-8BB4-7E0EE6B011A4.png
    A75BF942-EFD4-4693-8BB4-7E0EE6B011A4.png
    448.8 KB · Views: 129

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
as I never shut it down , we will se also.i will report back next week or when I see some issue.
(I woke it up like 10 times just to check how it behaves )

Menkveld

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2019
as I never shut it down , we will se also.i will report back next week or when I see some issue.
(I woke it up like 10 times just to check how it behaves )
I dont shut it down, i close the lid or it goes to sleep by itself. And it doesnt crash every single time it goes to sleep. Then it crashes twice a day. Other times it didnt do it for an entire day. But if your sn750 works great with your macboom then thats nice! Then it might me a problem with the specific model macbook

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
I dont shut it down, i close the lid or it goes to sleep by itself. And it doesnt crash every single time it goes to sleep. Then it crashes twice a day. Other times it didnt do it for an entire day. But if your sn750 works great with your macboom then thats nice! Then it might me a problem with the specific model macbook
Maybee its the adapter, i have the long one... for now it works OK it was on sleep for 9 Hour straight and lights up a little bit faster than the original one... cant complain. (battery gone down from 99 to 97% so also no drain atm)
I have seen also on forums for "compatible" osx machines that this drives works. It is mad that it gives problems on some machines...

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could it have something to do with the sleep settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.