Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Cyberdoc71

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2018
Don't think the hibernation will be fixed by Apple. macOS has supported NVME since High Sierra and the hibernation has been present since then to now.

Wonder if its possible to load the proper nvme driver as an efi driver within a Clover or Opencore rootkit environment. Just thinking out of the box..

Cyberdoc71

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2018
Good question. I'm not sure if it will or won't work.

I have heard of Clover and tried to use it to get Mac os on a pc but soon gave up and bought a MacBook.

Well I just finally figured out how to use Opencore and am very impressed with it though recommend Clover to the casual everyday user. Have read that a lot of people have used it on real macs to solve compatibility issues with old hardware. Not sure if it will work here. Will have to ask the experts.

Reactions: Audit13

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Just ordered a SSUBX 512gb for a Macbook Air Mid 2013 (Wanted to retain hibernation). I've heard about bootcamp issues, I have a bootcamp partition on an external drive so that should be fine. My question is, can I run filevault normally?

Cyberdoc71

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2018
I have put together a write-up as RTFD in TextEdit to summarize the state of upgrading 2013-2014 MacBooks with NVMe drives thus far. The pictures are from an upgrade of the girlfriend's MacBook Air last week.

Have a look in case you are new to this thread - or a regular. :)

Happy to make changes in case there is something incorrect or misrepresented.

Looking through various copies on either Mojave or Catalina ESD installer files and I can't find a Firmwareupgrade.pkg. Must exist somewhere else?

Thanks

Thefelifeli

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
Hello,
Im new in this forum, and I’d like to start by thanking everyone here, as I have learnt a lot whilst looking for information about updating my mid 2014 13” Retina MBP.

Id like to ask a question before buying my new nvme ssd:
I’m considering one of the following;
• WD Blue SN550 nvme 1TB
• Sabrent Rocket (SB-ROCKET-1TB)
• Crucial P1 1TB (don’t really like the low write durability because of QLC)

Considering prices are mostly the same for all of them (WD is actually cheaper approx 6€ less than Sabrent here in Spain), which one would you think is the best option?
Specs:
Mid 2014 13” Retina MacBook Pro
2,6 GHz Core i5
8Gb Ram
Intel Iris 1536 MB
Running Catalina 10.15.4

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hello,
Im new in this forum, and I’d like to start by thanking everyone here, as I have learnt a lot whilst looking for information about updating my mid 2014 13” Retina MBP.

Id like to ask a question before buying my new nvme ssd:
I’m considering one of the following;
• WD Blue SN550 nvme 1TB
• Sabrent Rocket (SB-ROCKET-1TB)
• Crucial P1 1TB (don’t really like the low write durability because of QLC)

Considering prices are mostly the same for all of them (WD is actually cheaper approx 6€ less than Sabrent here in Spain), which one would you think is the best option?
Specs:
Mid 2014 13” Retina MacBook Pro
2,6 GHz Core i5
8Gb Ram
Intel Iris 1536 MB
Running Catalina 10.15.4

Thanks in advance!
WD blue SN550 = faster application load times but smaller cache (dram less design) not ideal for large transfer files , name brand quality .
Sabrent Rocket = great performance, lower power consumption, unknown reliability?
Imho i'll pick WD SN550 or better version WD SN750.

Last edited:

Thefelifeli

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
WD blue SN550- faster load times but smaller cache(dram less design) not ideal for large transfer files , name brand quality .
Sabrent - great performance, lower power consumption, unknown reliability ?
Thanks for your quick reply,
Considering normal everyday use the most important factors for me personally would be durability of the drive and battery...
Knowing that, I guess Sabrent is a better option???
Are there known reliability issues with the Sabrent?
I’m quite lost with the comparison here...

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Thanks for your quick reply,
Considering normal everyday use the most important factors for me personally would be durability of the drive and battery...
Knowing that, I guess Sabrent is a better option???
Are there known reliability issues with the Sabrent?
I’m quite lost with the comparison here...
considering you have 2014 MBP (no nvme driver in bootroom) possible hibernation/deep sleep issues, most definitely will drain more battery, so for me I'll pick WD Sn550 for better support ( WD dashboard/utilites firmware updater), trusted big well known company for warranty, i have both WD SN750 1tb (backup drive) and Sabrent rocket 1tb as my daily driver it uses less power and better battery life for my 2015 MBP (hibernation supported).

Attachments

• nmve.jpg
    nmve.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

Thefelifeli

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2020
considering you have 2014 MBP (no nvme driver in bootroom) possible hibernation/deep sleep issues, most definitely will drain more battery, so for me I'll pick WD Sn550 for better support ( WD dashboard/utilites firmware updater), trusted big well known company for warranty, i have both WD SN750 1tb (backup drive) and Sabrent rocket 1tb as my daily driver it uses less power and better battery life for my 2015 MBP (hibernation supported).
Thank you very much for the reply vince22,

so you are saying it is better to get the WD sn550?
Or the Sabrent?

sorry for the confusion...
Thanks in advance!

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
Hi, wondering if anybody can help me troubleshoot, I believe this is NVMe drive related, but there might be something else.

I have a 2015 13” with a 960 GB SX8200 installed (long Sintech adapter, bootROM is 180.0.0.0). Running the latest version of Catalina (10.15.4). It’s been in there about 18 months. Was very stable/solid for most of that time. In in the past month I have been getting a lot of beachball and programs lagging randomly, requiring me to force quit out of them. I’ve also had two kernel panics in the past week which is very unusual. The most recent was on a Zoom conference, I noticed the computer wasn’t responding, and bam, kernel panic. The error output message I saw when I restarted mentioned “IONVME“ or something like that. I could probably dig it up.

The wrinkle is that my battery is at 75-78% efficiency so I don’t know if that is contributing to the lag and performance. Any thoughts?

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hi, wondering if anybody can help me troubleshoot, I believe this is NVMe drive related, but there might be something else.

I have a 2015 13” with a 960 GB SX8200 installed (long Sintech adapter, bootROM is 180.0.0.0). Running the latest version of Catalina (10.15.4). It’s been in there about 18 months. Was very stable/solid for most of that time. In in the past month I have been getting a lot of beachball and programs lagging randomly, requiring me to force quit out of them. I’ve also had two kernel panics in the past week which is very unusual. The most recent was on a Zoom conference, I noticed the computer wasn’t responding, and bam, kernel panic. The error output message I saw when I restarted mentioned “IONVME“ or something like that. I could probably dig it up.

The wrinkle is that my battery is at 75-78% efficiency so I don’t know if that is contributing to the lag and performance. Any thoughts?
check your latest bootrom here first.

mad cow disease

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
check your latest bootrom here first.
Thanks for reply. It's out of date, last time I read through this thread was over a year ago. There hasn't been a way found in the meantime to upgrade it without an Apple SSD, right? I had the 512 GB version so I sold it after I upgraded.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for reply. It's out of date, last time I read through this thread was over a year ago. There hasn't been a way found in the meantime to upgrade it without an Apple SSD, right? I had the 512 GB version so I sold it after I upgraded.
I have used nvme drives in the early 2015 13" MacBook Airs. I recall that they started accepting bootrom update with the second or third release of Mojave.

lagisibuk

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
Stupid question :
does somebody success update their MBP 15 late 2013 retina??? can you share SSD brand and socket?
now my boot version 159 (last month im using catalina but today im downgrade to mojave)

ccstriker

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Hello,

I cannot wrap my head around the best possible power settings (without hacking bootrom) for the following scenario:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
2,8 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
10.15.4 (19E287)
EFI Version: MBP111.88Z.F000.B00.2002052022 (Boot ROM Version: 159.0.0.0.0)
+ Sintech ST-NGFF2013 short
+ Sabrent SSD Interno 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280

Heat and speed is ok, but sleeping settings are confusing / not working.
E.g. when battery drains out, computer needs to restart and I get error message (Sleep Wake failure in EFI ... 0x0000001f). [On long travels or overnight it can unfortunately happen computer drains out, annoying to restart, Error Message etc]

Question 1: Did anybody figure out the optimal settings (like standby, hibernation, autopoweroff, etc) ?

Question 2: How do you totally reset the settings I can see typing"pmset -g"
SMC doesn't seem to do that.

Thanks!

Hi,
I still cannot find the right energy setting to avoid that computer after battery drained out restarts with an error message (restarting twice then Sleep Wake failure in EFI - Failure code:: 0x0171260e 0x0000001f)
Anybody an idea what the best possible, secure, settings for the above are? I don't mind how fast a computer wakes up from sleep, as long as my data is safe even at the very minium (e.g. last minutes on train or tube after a flight - going on very last battery % then closing down)
Thanks

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Hi,
I still cannot find the right energy setting to avoid that computer after battery drained out restarts with an error message (restarting twice then Sleep Wake failure in EFI - Failure code:: 0x0171260e 0x0000001f)
Anybody an idea what the best possible, secure, settings for the above are? I don't mind how fast a computer wakes up from sleep, as long as my data is safe even at the very minium (e.g. last minutes on train or tube after a flight - going on very last battery % then closing down)
Thanks
Have you tried OP recommendation below? considering 2013 - 2014 rMBP no nvme dxe driver in bootrom.

disable hibernation by typing "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi,
Thanks
I'm guessing here. Could it be that the contents of ram are not being written to a page file before the battery is drained?

ccstriker

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
Have you tried OP recommendation below? considering 2013 - 2014 rMBP no nvme dxe driver in bootrom.

disable hibernation by typing "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 standby 0 autopoweroff 0
Hey, which recommendation do you intend? I disabled hibernation already. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.