Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
You do not, period. There is *not* a single game that can push a CPU like Prime95 can or the GPU like Furmark does. Simply doesn't exist. And also won't, because that would be terrible programming and not playable on any computer.

No, they throttle similarly. As does any other laptop thats not at least twice as thick.

1: if that was true, then the CPU speed would make no difference in video benchmarks...it has always made a difference over the years.
2: FF XIV, Sea of Thieves, Starcraft, Diablo III...they all drive my laptop at 100% CPU & GPU. I'm working on a 2011 MacBook Pro & the CPU idles at 10%. What you said would be true for up to date hardware, not with hardware that is already driving a high CPU.

Reactions: Eason85

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
You do not, period. There is *not* a single game that can push a CPU like Prime95 can or the GPU like Furmark does. Simply doesn't exist. And also won't, because that would be terrible programming and not playable on any computer.

No, they throttle similarly. As does any other laptop thats not at least twice as thick.

Does vega20 running something as an external screen give more space to CPU to breathe than 560X?

also, my laptop is still not back from service either. (8 days since ive gave it to service), no replies either. 50 days since i first opened a case with Apple. I'm not even angry anymore :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There are other laptops even faster, but HUGE.
You can get a 6-core laptop with hard drive and 1060 Max-Q weighing 2.1kg. I wonder how that compares to Vega 20. But the CPU only runs at 2.2 GHz.

With 2.6GHz and 1070 it would be 2.65kg, which is still fine.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
1: if that was true, then the CPU speed would make no difference in video benchmarks...it has always made a difference over the years.

Of course the CPU speed is relevant! Who says that its not? What I am saying is that something like Prime95 is not a typical software and you will never run your machine under such a load. Just as you would try to drive a car that has been chained to a tree.

2: FF XIV, Sea of Thieves, Starcraft, Diablo III...they all drive my laptop at 100% CPU & GPU. I'm working on a 2011 MacBook Pro & the CPU idles at 10%. What you said would be true for up to date hardware, not with hardware that is already driving a high CPU.

I assure you that they don't. First of all, this "CPU load percentage" is only a way to interpret the load, the CPU doesn't actually work like that. Second, a game doesn't just repeatedly and without stop do number-crunching all the time, like Prime95. A game is a complex piece of software with many components that are in communication with each other, there is always some degree of waiting. CPU waiting on the CPU, GPU waiting on the CPU, GPU waiting on the GPU, CPU waiting on the CPU. This is why you never get actual 100% hardware utilization. Prime95 does (or at least gets very close), since it just runs a trivial dumb repetitive task using an algorithm that is designed to stress the CPU as much as it can.

And it doesn't really matter how old your hardware is. If you components are slower, there is just more waiting. If your components are newer and faster, there is still a lot of waiting, its just can run things faster overall. And it can very much be there there is much more waiting on a modern machine, for example, if you are running with vsync on (your program will then wait for the refresh time). But in any case, its very far from Prime95.

I'll just give you some trivial evidence. Every MBP throttles heavily during in a stress test. Dell XPS 15" throttles heavily during a stress test. Razer Blade throttles heavily during a stress test. And yet for some reason they can run games just fine. Why? Because a stress test is just that — a stress test. It doesn't represent a real-world scenario.

Last edited:

akis-k

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
Greece
You can get a 6-core laptop with hard drive and 1060 Max-Q weighing 2.1kg. I wonder how that compares to Vega 20.
I can name you a lot of windows laptops with even less weight (assuming that you are referring to the razer blade 15), like the msi gs65 stealth (1.8kg with 1060 Max-Q), but none with thickness of 1.55cm. All of them are between 1.8 to 2.0 cm. You need "room" to breath, and that is where Apple seems to have the upper hand.

Reactions: Eason85

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Lenovo's 15" workstations are lighter than a 17" MBP.

And 17" MBP is almost twice as heavy as the current 15" MBP... And yes, P52 can run a stress test without throttling. Its a great laptop, unfortunately no good display option.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And 17" MBP is almost twice as heavy as the current 15" MBP...
Which is fine.
[doublepost=1542911526][/doublepost]
I can name you a lot of windows laptops with even less weight (assuming that you are referring to the razer blade 15), like the msi gs65 stealth (1.8kg with 1060 Max-Q), but none with thickness of 1.55cm. All of them are between 1.8 to 2.0 cm. You need "room" to breath, and that is where Apple seems to have the upper hand.
Not with a hard drive.
[doublepost=1542912412][/doublepost]
With 2.6GHz and 1070 it would be 2.65kg, which is still fine.
With a P2000 it would weigh 1.9kg. How is Vega 20 against that for games?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
With a P2000 it would weigh 1.9kg. How is Vega 20 against that for games?

Vega 12 (Vega Pro 20) should be slightly faster than the P2000 based from what we've seen so far. What laptop exactly are you talking about?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Vega 12 (Vega Pro 20) should be slightly faster than the P2000 based from what we've seen so far. What laptop exactly are you talking about?
MSI WS63 8SJ

It seems on professional workloads it should be all over the place.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
Lenovo's 15" workstations are lighter than a 17" MBP.

Can you be more specific? From what I see, the Thinkpad P52s workstation, lower specs than the MacBook Pro 15" by the way, starts at 4.39 pounds, the P72, also lower specs, starts at 7.5 pounds. The 15" Apple MacBook Pro is 4.46 pounds. Maybe you are looking at a specific model?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Can you be more specific? From what I see, the Thinkpad P52s workstation, lower specs than the MacBook Pro 15" by the way, starts at 4.39 pounds, the P72, also lower specs, starts at 7.5 pounds. The 15" Apple MacBook Pro is 4.46 pounds. Maybe you are looking at a specific model?
he said
"Lenovo's 15" workstations are lighter than a 17" MBP."
than 17" not 15"

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
there are 17" mbp out there....but i just quote that he didn't compare it with the 15" but 17"

Alright I am totally confused, I will bow out of this quibble. It seems he is saying a 2018 Lenovo 15" workstation is lighter than a (how old) 17" MacBook Pro. Whatever.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Just ordered mine. Got a $225 discount using APINSIDER from this video that was above above. So it came out to this. I paid for overnight shipping as well so I can get it here fast. Worth the $77 for that price.

upload_2018-11-22_15-22-10.png

Reactions: Trebuin

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Alright I am totally confused, I will bow out of this quibble. It seems he is saying a 2018 Lenovo 15" workstation is lighter than a (how old) 17" MacBook Pro. Whatever.
2011. They are not dinosaurs. Apple just stopped making them.

Reactions: SDColorado

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Just ordered mine. Got a $225 discount using APINSIDER from this video that was above above. So it came out to this. I paid for overnight shipping as well so I can get it here fast. Worth the $77 for that price.

View attachment 805961

Congrats. I take it you upped the ssd? I'm probably going to pass on going above 1TB...that's a huge hole. I'm also going to see since I have to have it shipped overseas if apple would waive the tax on it. That would be the best option. Need to wait until I see what discount options they offer as well.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Congrats. I take it you upped the ssd? I'm probably going to pass on going above 1TB...that's a huge hole. I'm also going to see since I have to have it shipped overseas if apple would waive the tax on it. That would be the best option. Need to wait until I see what discount options they offer as well.

Figured if I am spending that much, I might as well get the 2tb at least. I kept going back and forth between 1tb and 2tb. I had 512gb last time and just didn;t have enough space, so I had to use external drives. 2tb will allow me to not do that.

I don't believe Apple is going to offer any discount on the new ones as being seen already overseas black friday deals. I ordered it from Adorama.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Figured if I am spending that much, I might as well get the 2tb at least. I kept going back and forth between 1tb and 2tb. I had 512gb last time and just didn;t have enough space, so I had to use external drives. 2tb will allow me to not do that.

I don't believe Apple is going to offer any discount on the new ones as being seen already overseas black friday deals. I ordered it from Adorama.
True, I'd be taking advantage of the military discount, but being overseas right now, I'd like to see if I can get the tax back on it. I remember doing that before, but I needed to get the postmaster to print a letter stating that it would be the final destination.

Reactions: IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Looks like the vega 20 units might be handling the heat of the i9's slightly better than previous models. Any chance you could take the bottom cover off and upload a photo of the cooling fans? Curious if there is a visible change.

Once mine comes in, I'll take the bottom off and take pictures. I have the proper bits for it and have done it on my 2017.

Reactions: SVTM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.