Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Let's just get this out there... Despite Samsung's protestations, the S9 has a notch too. It's just the entire width of the screen.
So then every phone ever made has had a notch by your logic. IPhone, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4, etc. SMH.
[doublepost=1520652971][/doublepost]
Looks ugly. I wouldn't buy it even if the price was half of an iPhone X.

Face ID works well.

When it comes to using it in the dark or in the bed, Apple could fix it using a software update. Make the phone unlocked when you are at home, between let's say 11 PM and 8 AM. It would be opt-in and it would requirer one face ID recognition when your are inside the geo fence. This would be similar to the Apple Watch, once on your wrist, you don't need to unlock it all the time.
Android already has this for about the past 3 years.

Reactions: Elgaard

Wsidewarrior07

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Personally... Samsung makes good phones, but their Android skin is terrible IMHO, and don't get me started on Bixby. I've loved Apple for 20+ years but they finally lost me with iPhone X. I went back to eBay to acquire a 7+ a month ago, my iPhone X has been sitting in a drawer, and will probably find it's way to eBay here shortly.

7+ .... The last great iPhone....

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Personally... Samsung makes good phones, but their Android skin is terrible IMHO, and don't get me started on Bixby. I've loved Apple for 20+ years but they finally lost me with iPhone X. I went back to eBay to acquire a 7+ a month ago, my iPhone X has been sitting in a drawer, and will probably find it's way to eBay here shortly.

7+ .... The last great iPhone....

Sorry but I just don't get that. What is so repulsive about the iPhone X, that you'd go all the way back to the 7+? The 8+ is just fine if you must have Touch ID and can't live with Face ID.

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
Does iPhone has Secure Folder app which gives me a second sub-phone environment where i can run second copy of the same app independent?

No. So iPhone is a total failure in "powerful" app :p

Your entire phone should already be secure from others, so why do you need an extra layer on top?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its the "little things" which gripe me as a sub-standard in these videos. Make Samsung look like second-class citizens, when i could say the same for Apple... "Reach-ability" is not all that useful either...

Your move Sherlock :) Some still think the headphone jack is good. but new is new...... we bash the other side with a brick just because its Apple...

I still reckon Tough ID on Samsung should be on the front.. You flip the phone over to keep finding out where it is. Apple's got the right idea on this one.. but i guess if your gotta make a screen edge to edge, which your working on it being under the screen (in development and users still want TouchID) you gotta make them happy,, even if at the end of the day, its not the right place.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For some of us, it’s not a matter that we prefer the Apple ecosystem, it’s a question of how entrenched we are in it and how difficult it is to extricate ourselves from it.

I think it's more than that. As nice as the icing on the case is becoming (I do give full marks to Samsung this time around... first time ever saying that!), Android is still far more susceptible to malware than iOS. This is a huge consideration factor between the two platforms. Has this become less of a concern for Android in recent years?

The Galaxy S9 is one IMPRESSIVE phone, both in design and performance. I would still never give my money to Samsung directly for anything, because they lost my respect years ago with their shady business practices, but I am not blind to their effort to out-do Apple, and they are delivering something impressive!
[doublepost=1520657590][/doublepost]
Agree with the video in regards to authentication flexibility of the Galaxy S9. It only needs to add a front, preferably in-screen, fingerprint sensor to cover all usage cases.

Both Animoji and AR Emoji should be made uninstallable for people who don't care for gimmicks.

Those that criticize Animoji fail to realize it's merely a demonstration of the tremendous technology under the hood. That technology opens up so many new doors.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Neither the Galaxy S9 or the iPhone X exhibit any super features. Face ID is good but not killer tech and Samsungs dual ID feature is not good either as the facial recognition is 2D
Time for some killer features!!! AR in its full capability is still years away

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Yet despite lacking these features my phone still does all I need it to do. Lime typing this response.

But how do you send files from your phone to your computer and vise versa? Email? Google Drive? Ugh, those methods are so old and inconvenient.

And what happens when you're working on your computer and you get a text? Do you have to move to your phone in order to respond? Wouldn't it just be so much better if you could respond from the device that you're already on? When I'm working from my computer, sending texts with my keyboard is so amazing, and it's such a time saver.

I can't fathom why Android phone manufacturers still haven't figured out that these are amazing features. Why can't Android phones have anything similar to AirDrop and iMessages? It blows my mind that arguably Apple's best features still haven't been copied yet.

Askolan

Suspended
Feb 21, 2017
No matter how good Samsung makes their phones, I just do not want to leave iMessage, FaceTime, AirPlay nor my AirPods. I would happily give up Siri, though..

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Let's just get this out there... Despite Samsung's protestations, the S9 has a notch too. It's just the entire width of the screen.
I don't like samsung or android phones but you should understand the word "notch" first.

chas_m

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2016
The charge that Samsung has always been a poor person’s iPhone is only true when it comes to their mid- and low-end stuff. Flagships are flagships, they are pricey and they are generally excellent. I think the purple (seen above) and other colour options for the S9 are actually quite well-chosen, and they’ve really upped their camera game of late. Competition is good.

For me, the stumbling blocks are primarily slow updating, faster obsolescence (both of these being general Android issues rather than Samsung-specific), *really* poor fakeTouchID sensor placement compared to other Android phones with the sensor on the back, FakeFaceID not being secure enough for transactions and still foolable, some reports that iris scanning is not especially safe, and last but not least there is no way in hell I’m using that AR emoji. Might just be me, but holy crap that hits me right in uncanny valley.

winglet69

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
London, UK
For some of us, it’s not a matter that we prefer the Apple ecosystem, it’s a question of how entrenched we are in it and how difficult it is to extricate ourselves from it.

This. I've been using Apple products since 1985, I've owned pretty much every product they've ever made. I used to choose Apple because I truly believed it was a superior product. Now I'm mainly weighing the effort of leaving the ecosystem versus staying. And the equation is building momentum towards leaving, frankly. Partly because I know it will only be harder the longer I wait. I've already started moving towards as many generic formats and processes as possible in anticipation of becoming platform-agnostic. Simply, because although Apple continues to make beautiful, capable products, so do others - for considerably less cost. It's just the state of tech these days - there's only so many ways to improve on it, that the differentiator is becoming price.

Reactions: rom3o

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
In my place S9 + is offered at 2/3 price of iPhone X (still S9+ is expensive at $1100). Easy choice for most of them!

H.E. Pennypacker

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2017
NYC
Being overly critical about Face ID at this point is pretty ridiculous. Face ID works flawlessly most of the time. Yes there are quirks but it’s no different then Touch ID. In fact my Touch ID on my iPad Pro NEVER works. You need to get over it. Touch ID is gone. It’s not coming back. Move on.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I'm not in the market for either one, but the fingerprint reader (ironically which I've grown to love because of Apple), nicer design (IMO regarding the simpler display design), and lower cost would push me toward the S9 over the X. The "sticky" part of the iPhone for me is iMessage and Find my Friends, but I could find alternatives I suppose.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Hands down this would be the device I'd buy as my personally phone if it ran vanilla android. Samsung would probably have me for years to come.

The pixel is getting there, just not quite there yet. Nokia has an intriguing device around the bend too.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

And their numbers don't add up really do they?

Then again, Phillip Michaels was also an editor @ Macworld, he's hardly impartial and is always iskewed...
For an apple channel he's actually very objective and praised the S9 and samsung for what they have done

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

It really doesn't. The point is the notch cuts into the screen (or the screen wraps up either side of the earpiece, however you want to look at it).
[doublepost=1520667468][/doublepost]
I wish iOS had a more customizable home screen. I don't need to see 28 static icons. I would much rather have the bottom launcher with five icons and the rest of the screen available for active display showing weather, email headers, message topics, twitter feed, Facebook updates, or some other constantly changing information that I would like to keep up with and see at a glance.

THIS!!

I just don't understand why iPhone/iPad users are still happy with that wall of dead icons. And the larger the iPhones and iPads get, the more icons you have to stare at.

Plus the fact the screen populates from the top left corner, so if you choose to only have a few icons they're as far away from your thumb as possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.