Westworld (HBO) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Dopestar macrumors regular

Dopestar

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I thoroughly enjoyed it. What specifically was blah to you?

I thought Bernard’s arc was compelling and bookends the events of the finale to “11 days” after that.

We will fill in the gaps from here.

B

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Loved it. Almost everyone is accounted for or dealt with.

I wasn't sure what Bernard said when he looked at the dead hosts in the water. Did the man in black kill them all? Did the group of self-aware hosts kill those who missed the upgrade?

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I might wait for season 2 to finish and then subscribe for a month to watch both seasons. Is that 10 episodes per season?

5. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

He said "I killed them all". I had to turn on the CC.
    I thought it was was a great start to the new season. Very enjoyable.

6. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I thought it was a great start to the season. Jeffrey Wright did a great job this episode.

The new opening sequence was a nice change too, to fit the theme of the new season.

Next Sunday cant come soon enough!

7. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

I originally had thought that Ford's character wasn't really dead and that the man Delores shot was actually a robot and not Ford himself. Guess he really is a goner...

8. Roller macrumors 68030

I enjoyed the S2 opener, though it's sometimes hard to keep the timelines straight. At this point, I think I'm a bit more interested in Maeve's arc than Dolores's. Maeve seems more human and nuanced, while Dolores is a vengeful killing, well, machine. And Bernard is just plain messed up trying to make sense of it all.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The season opener started out a bit slow, but it definitely got into its groove.

10. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I really like parts of the episode were dialed back (after the explosive S1 finale) and there were plenty of intense moments: MIBs shootout, Maeve confronting security with Lee, the various escape attempts - and subsequent failure - by guests. I thought the pacing was outstanding, even with the longer running time (I think it showed 1:16 on the stream).

As usual, incredible performances all around, awesome musical direction, some plot points made clear, some new mysteries - the ending threw me off (in the best possible way).

Yeah, I think showing that wasn't just to be gruesome, but to make it clear, there wasn't a another host-bait-and-switch with Ford. I hope Sir Anthony shows up in some flashbacks again, be a shame to never see him again.

11. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

Yeah, I think showing that wasn't just to be gruesome, but to make it clear, there wasn't a another host-bait-and-switch with Ford. I hope Sir Anthony shows up in some flashbacks again, be a shame to never see him again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think the show would have been nearly as popular had he not been in the first season. Now we will see if the show can hold up without him.

12. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I would like to find out a little bit more about Anthony Hopkins plan. It ended with his death. Did he want this? Suicide by robot?

13. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Well hot damn, just watched episode 4 of Season 2.

Spoiler alert: it slays. Probably the best episode of any television show I can remember for a long time.

14. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

Agreed... It's starting to come together... A little anyways ;)

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I've seen a few people have a similar rather strong reaction to that episode. I have to qualify that I watched the episode in the middle of the night being sort of half asleep, so I'm curious if I might have overlooked something or didn't pick up on something that makes it stand out like that. I mean I definitely didn't see it as a bad episode or anything of the sort, but I also can't say that I found it to be that much extremely over the top over various other Westworld episodes, or espisodes of TV shows as a whole.

16. D.T., May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018

D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Ha! I just wrote the same thing in the "What's on TV" thread:

I was giddy when I heard "Do the Strand" by Roxy Music, but WW just kills it with the music direction, including the original and cover tunes.

BTW, that was a Pro-Ject RPM3 Carbon turntable :D

This episode was also nicely self-contained, not really a "bottle" episode, but you could almost watch this cold and still have an incredible experience (the wife said it felt like an episode of Black Mirror).

17. apolloa macrumors G4

I watched the most recent one and thought meh, so it’s a lame idea that humans want to love forever... not too original.

Then I was starting to think about how they can play this game out, because it’s all a game engineered by Hopkins character and suddenly it seems like an awesome idea which there so many paths it can take!!!

18. Roller macrumors 68030

Yes, it's much more complex than extending life through technology. One of the overarching questions is to what extent Ford is controlling everything that happens, whether by pre-programming or actively — is he, or some version of him — still alive? Even the word "host" has two meanings. In the context of the Westworld theme park, the hosts are just there to entertain the guests. But in the AI world, they can host human consciousness and experience in some form, just like the James Delos version we saw in S2E4 last week.

19. apolloa macrumors G4

I hope Ford comes back other then his opinion in another robot, I like watching Hopkins, although he doesn’t seem to do too much these days, not surprising at his age!

I’ve come to learn Westworld is one of these shows where the writers are always going to surprise you, and present ideas you think as meh, in a totally different way.

20. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

So how did the Japanese fighters hear the command to SHOW ME THEIR NECKS if they had their ears cut off/out.

21. Europa13 macrumors 6502

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I saw those in another thread and was like - whoa! dude went to Westworld!

Nice.

23. Roller macrumors 68030

I noticed this when it aired the other night. Happy to see Aaron Paul — I loved his work in Breaking Bad — but it looks like they've abandoned the theme park. I wonder if the change of venue is because they didn't want or couldn't afford to rebuild the old set that was destroyed in the fire last year. Dolores is back, but what about the other characters? I guess we'll have to wait until next year to find out.