Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
The coronavirus has got away with a cinematographer who brought us some amazing films.

Allen Daviau passed away on April 15th from complications due to covid-19, he was 77.

... E.T. ...The Color Purple... Empire of the Sun... Bugsy...

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
MV5BOTU3MDQ0YjctNzgxYS00ZDk2LWE2NTUtODU1ODgyNGZiNWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzkzODk2Mzc@._V1_UY268_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Goodbye Christopher Robin. This was a mostly sad telling of the story behind the story. I have no idea how closely it tracked the actual history.

Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
The coronavirus has got away with a cinematographer who brought us some amazing films.

Allen Daviau passed away on April 15th from complications due to covid-19, he was 77.

... E.T. ...The Color Purple... Empire of the Sun... Bugsy...

Great films for sure.

Empire of the Sun is one of my all time favorites.

Reactions: LizKat

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mean Creek [2004]
E322EB18-DCE7-4793-BA76-A63423C4DAC4.jpeg

This is one of those ‘indie’ films that a lot of viewers probably had no idea about. It’s also a testament to what we see in Today’s society on how bullying is not tolerable.

So, the plot basically is about some young teenagers who conspire to maroon another student (who has a lengthy history of bullying/hazing other kids in school). When the teenagers who plan to maroon the bully on a nearby river, their plan takes a turn for the worse beyond something that can’t be reversed.

Quick perspective:

To be honest, this is a really (Like..really) dark movie and even though this movie goes to the extremes, it shows you the impact psychologically bullying has on our younger generation and how far it can impact someone to the point where it alters their perception on life. In a way, this is a very sad movie, but also very realistic in terms of why bullying is a forbidden practice in our communities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Bandits (2001)- Quirky heist movie with Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton. Described as a film that delivers laughs, but is messy and unfocused. I did not care for it, got annoyed with BBT’s whiney character, and Bruce Willis’s delivery which I have witnessed in other movies of his that I did not like either. Did not finish it. I‘ve realized he‘s one of those action stars that mostly lives in the one primary character he most comfortably portrays.

When I'm watching 2 guys banter with each other and it’s annoying, oh well, you can’t win them all. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Close Encounters.

This air traffic control scene is probably one of the best theater-of-the-mind in cinema.
Classic Spielberg
That’s a great movie because it includes some fantastic imagery, and maintains tension on several levels, as Earthlings experience an exciting positive version of first contact.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Lone Survivor [2014]
7DC08D1F-2338-4D82-9177-B09430EA7980.jpeg

I’m not really into ‘war movies’, because the story is usually stretched beyond what really might have occurred in the ‘real world‘, and this movie also falls into that sector somewhat with ‘Based On a true story’ with events that are exaggerated.

There is some seriously disturbing scenes in this movie, one particular segment of when the soldiers are in battle in the mountains, It’s just straight brutal and I find myself completely engulfed every time I watch this movie. There’s no bad acting in this movie, Ben Foster, Emile Hirsch, Eric Bana, Taylor Kitsch, and of course Mark Wahlberg, all are excellent.

The plot is about four soldiers who are on a specific mission to stop a Taliban leader, but their mission is up-ended when they are compromised with their location in the mountains.

Fun fact:

Greg Nicotero, (who is part of ‘The walking dead’ make up team), also assisted with the make-up effects in this movie with the gashes/blood, ect.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I’m in that kind of mood today.

Hit me up with your favourite action movie. Top 3 in ascending order.

Help me relax this evening fellas.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hit me up with your favourite action movie. Top 3 in ascending order.

1.) Power Rangers (2017)

2.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2016)

3.) Catwoman (2004)

Enjoy!

Ok, Ok, I’m Joking......😁

My top 3:

1.) Logan (2017)

2.) Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)

3.) John Wick (2014)

{Edited: Added dates.}

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Extraction

3/5.

I know my hearing isn't what it used to be but I swear to God I couldn't hear half the dialogue!

My 19 year old son couldn't either.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Extraction

3/5.

I know my hearing isn't what it used to be but I swear to God I couldn't hear half the dialogue!

My hearing maybe suffering too, or it might just be the show where I have to turn it up where the music blares and the voices are relatively subdued in comparison. I’m noticing this in Season 3 of Westworld. :(

Reactions: pachyderm

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Close Encounters.

This air traffic control scene is probably one of the best theater-of-the-mind in cinema.
Classic Spielberg

It's just genius, some blips on a radar, but the real intensity from the all the overlapping dialog / background chatter, sounds.

Right on, a master at work.

Plus, I'm about to go all Roy / Richard Dreyfuss and build a mountain in my house ...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@akash.nu

Hmm, top 3 action, that's a touch tricky, I __think__ you mean more contemporary, grounded, without any sci-fi / fantasy elements[?] Like Raiders of the Lost Ark, lots of action, one of the best films ever made, but not really that kind of action. Is that more adventure? What about The Matrix? Aliens? Mad Max?

So this is contemporary-ish, non-scifi (well, some of these stretch that a bit ...), non-superhero/comic book, non-war ...

Die Hard 1 and 2
John Wick 1, 2 and 3
The Raid 1 and 2
MI: Ghost Protocol, Rogue Nation, Fallout
Atomic Blonde
The Bourne: Identity, Supremacy , Ultimatum

Reactions: akash.nu

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
My hearing maybe suffering too, or it might just be the show where I have to turn it up where the music blares and the voices are relatively subdued in comparison. I’m noticing this in Season 3 of Westworld. :(

We'd scroll the volume up then scroll it back down before things blew up...and they blew up a lot.

• Haha
Reactions: D.T. and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Extraction (2020 Netflix)- 71% Audience Score R.T. Chris Hemsworth graduates from Avenger to certified bad ass in this tale about a soldier for hire, sent on a mission to rescue a drug lord’s abducted child. It’s a hard core action bloodbath in a sea of bodies. :) ?
@akash.nu, you’ll find this relaxing. ?

F8F240CA-5353-48D7-BE02-807D6A008929.jpeg

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Extraction (2020 Netflix)- 71% Audience Score R.T. Chris Hemsworth graduates from Avenger to certified bad ass in this tale about a soldier for hire, sent on a mission to rescue a drug lord’s abducted child. It’s a hard core action bloodbath in a sea of bodies. :)
@akash.nu, you’ll find this relaxing.

Ah yes, watched it over the weekend and as you mentioned, liked it.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Extraction (2020 Netflix)- 71% Audience Score R.T. Chris Hemsworth graduates from Avenger to certified bad ass in this tale about a soldier for hire, sent on a mission to rescue a drug lord’s abducted child. It’s a hard core action bloodbath in a sea of bodies. :) ?
@akash.nu, you’ll find this relaxing. ?

3/5 for me and I posted earlier I couldn't hear half of the dialogue.

That ending... is that who I think it was standing by the pool?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Extraction

3/5.

For movies like that, if I end up owning it via a purchase from Apple, I've become fond of the iTunes option buried in the command-i tabs someplace to raise the normal volume and file it so it doesn't cause me to have to jack the volume on it next time around.

What I really don't like: films where the engineering is just wrong and you can't settle on a volume for the whole movie unless alternately damaging your ears AND wondering "what did he just say?"

Reactions: pachyderm and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A Quiet Place (2018)- 83% Audience score RT. An ok post apocalyptic horror film, that was a bit quiet between the moments with screeching, tearing metal, and chomping teeth. ;) Most of the human interaction was with sign language. No talking allowed, for the most part.

718811F7-AD10-4B6A-AD45-E85050ABC97F.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.