Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I personally think Microsoft is finally getting there after several iterations. I think the SP3 is really compelling.

I like the positioning as an ultrabook that can also double as a tablet. If I could just take one device on a business trip, that would be much better than the two I carry now (I primarily use iPad on the plane and in the airport). Right now I've got too many gadgets and the chance to get rid of one would really simplify my life.

I also like the strategy of focusing on productivity with the ability in the tablet mode to run the full Office suite as well as any other business applications. It is a very clear strategy and market niche.

Apple is also going to the direction of platform convergence, but I think Microsoft is way ahead of the game. Win 8.1 seems to be a lot more workable.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
The fact that some people have the time and inclination to achieve good results with subpar tools is laudable, but hardly validates the tool. I would just say use the wacom on surface 2 and compare it to a capacitative pen on the ipad. That said there are many first rate art apps in the apple store whicn just makes the whole issue more frustrating.

I don't see anything subpar in the ipad. It does what it was designed to do and WAY more..

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I personally think Microsoft is finally getting there after several iterations. I think the SP3 is really compelling.

... snipped...

Apple is also going to the direction of platform convergence, but I think Microsoft is way ahead of the game. Win 8.1 seems to be a lot more workable.
Microsoft MIGHT be ahead of the game from a hardware perspective but they're "wetting the bed" with regard to marketing and customer focus.

They have 2 accessories called "Surface Pen". These Surface pens are not interchangeable and only work on specific Surface tablets, none of these pens work on the device called, "Surface". The have 2 identical devices with 2 different names, "Surface RT" and "Surface".

Then there's the "Surface Pro Type Cover". It is physically incompatible with the Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2.

There was confusion before with the Surface RT vs. Surface Pro... that has been multiplied with the Surface Pro 3.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

LOL, and Microsoft is also way behind on sales in regards to the Surface. I like how people think that the masses will buy the Surface Pro 3. Truthfully it's a hybrid tablet that's converging back into a laptop which is a step backwards and it certainly isn't the first time it's been done. There are other Windows 8 tablets that converge to lappys. If MS doesn't get this machine out in the hands of the masses I'm not sure we'll see the light of a Surface Pro 4 or any Surface for that matter. A niche product that is failing in sales (Surface 1 and 2) isn't going to stay alive for only the geeks and techies that frequent online forums. The small amount of people on Macrumors that are cheering for the Surface Pro 3 will not be enough to keep it in the retail stores.

And despite the updated Windows 8.1, it's still a mess.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Microsoft MIGHT be ahead of the game from a hardware perspective but they're "wetting the bed" with regard to marketing and customer focus.

You think 3 years on the back story of the win8/winrt debacle would have emerged.

Ironically, Apple at wwdc is engineering the convergence of the refrigerator and the toaster.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
They have 2 accessories called "Surface Pen". These Surface pens are not interchangeable and only work on specific Surface tablets, none of these pens work on the device called, "Surface". The have 2 identical devices with 2 different names, "Surface RT" and "Surface".

You would think that, given that the main argument AGAINST stylus use is that it can be lost and is a pain to replace, that they wouldn't go out of their way like this to make replacing a lost one so hard. What the heck are they thinking?

As I've said, I'm sure Apple will advance the iPad in a way that make sense. But a "rebuttal" just isn't necessary. If anything, the burden of proof is on Microsoft, to show that they're finally getting it. And I'm still not convinced that they are.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You would think that, given that the main argument AGAINST stylus use is that it can be lost and is a pain to replace, that they wouldn't go out of their way like this to make replacing a lost one so hard. What the heck are they thinking?

Talking about losing pens, I can't believe Microsoft didn't provide a way to stow it somewhere inside the body of the Surface. If Apple were to make an iPad with a pen, I think Jony Ive would insist on finding an elegant method of stowing it, so it minimizes the chances of the pen getting lost. In fact, that may be how the iPad ended up without a pen in the first place.

Jobs: And a pen! We need a pen for our tablet!
Ive: Noooooo! It'd ruin the symmetry of the design if I have to make a slot for it!
Jobs: Right. You know what? I'll just tell them we have the pointing device we are all born with!

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I use both mac os and win8. I prefer win8 by far--but i never use the modern ui. I could say macos "blows"--but then i'd be a fanboy

Hey, that's cool with me. Not everyone likes The Mac OS. I really, really liked windows XP and windows 7 wasn't too bad. Just don't care for windows 8 though.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
LOL, and Microsoft is also way behind on sales in regards to the Surface. I like how people think that the masses will buy the Surface Pro 3. Truthfully it's a hybrid tablet that's converging back into a laptop which is a step backwards and it certainly isn't the first time it's been done. There are other Windows 8 tablets that converge to lappys. If MS doesn't get this machine out in the hands of the masses I'm not sure we'll see the light of a Surface Pro 4 or any Surface for that matter. A niche product that is failing in sales (Surface 1 and 2) isn't going to stay alive for only the geeks and techies that frequent online forums. The small amount of people on Macrumors that are cheering for the Surface Pro 3 will not be enough to keep it in the retail stores.

100% concur. It's a niche market. Microsoft is trying to keep Windows alive when it's past it's prime in the consumer world. Folks now want simplicity and many don't have computers at home. They use tablets and phones as their computer. True story!

Who are they targeting with this device? Business folks? Not sure it's compelling enough to make a difference this time around either.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
there certainly seem to be alot of companies involved in trying to make a usable capacatative pen considering that nobody is interested http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/10/2925937/best-stylus-ipad-review

some are better than others--none are close to the wacom implementation on sp1 & 2

I actually have the Adonit Jot Pro. Bought it Macworld. Works well. But haven't picked it up for nothing more than to show someone a great pen can be used on an iPad. Not sure the average consumer will want/need it a pen. Pretty easy to lose pens.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I actually have the Adonit Jot Pro. Bought it Macworld. Works well. But haven't picked it up for nothing more than to show someone a great pen can be used on an iPad. Not sure the average consumer will want/need it a pen. Pretty easy to lose pens.

Agreed. That would be about how much I'd use a pen with my iPad. And I mean, doesn't the digitizer add to the weight of the tablet? I don't want my iPad to be heavier for a feature I'd hardly use.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo

Actually I see it more as a full feature laptop that can function as a tablet.

I'm a road warrior business traveller, and I if I had a choice the SP3 would be at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my company issued Dell laptop for work use, but if they had a BYOD policy I'd likely go for the SP3.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Actually I see it more as a full feature laptop that can function as a tablet.

I'm a road warrior business traveller, and I if I had a choice the SP3 would be at the top of my list. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with my company issued Dell laptop for work use, but if they had a BYOD policy I'd likely go for the SP3.

There's just nothing particularly special about the Surface Pro 3. There are other Windows Tablets that double as laptops with scriber pens.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I thought the touch screen is the digitizer. Help me out if I'm mistaken. :eek:

the touch registers fingertip touch--this is called capacitative response. The digitizer is a second layer to work with pens. Typically digitizers have a far higher resolution than capacitative, and is pressure sensitive. Ipad pens use conductivity from the hand through the pen to register capcitative "touches".

There is no extra weight associated with a digitizer layer. Most samsung note devices have a wacom digitizer.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
the touch registers fingertip touch--this is called capacitative response. The digitizer is a second layer to work with pens. Typically digitizers have a far higher resolution than capacitative, and is pressure sensitive. Ipad pens use conductivity from the hand through the pen to register capcitative "touches".

There is no extra weight associated with a digitizer layer. Most samsung note devices have a wacom digitizer.

Thank you for that clarification. I honestly never understood the technology in regards to how the pen interacts with the tablet. :)

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
There's just nothing particularly special about the Surface Pro 3. There are other Windows Tablets that double as laptops with scriber pens.

The power and weight - it is just as light and powerful as a MacBook Air, has a better screen, and can function as a tablet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Truthfully it's a hybrid tablet that's converging back into a laptop which is a step backwards and it certainly isn't the first time it's been done. There are other Windows 8 tablets that converge to lappys.
There are and none are as light thin and as powerful as the SP3. Plus that shouldn't stop MS from making the SP3 especially if they think they can do a better job.

If MS doesn't get this machine out in the hands of the masses I'm not sure we'll see the light of a Surface Pro 4 or any Surface for that matter.
There seems to be a lot of positive energy on the SP3, though we'll have to see if that translates into sales.

The small amount of people on Macrumors that are cheering for the Surface Pro 3 will not be enough to keep it in the retail stores.
No but then I would not expect an apple fan site to be leading the charge in ordering a Microsoft product :rolleyes:

Do you use Windows 8? While not perfect 8.1 is a big update and brings a lot of functionality. I use it everyday and find it a very stable OS. Please quantify what exactly is a mess with windows 8.1.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I use it everyday and find it a very stable OS. Please quantify what exactly is a mess with windows 8.1.

I use it as well and it's a super rock solid OS. I typically reboot my system every month and that's only because of the patches issued out every 2nd Tues of the month. The new changes W8.1 have implemented have been for the better and the rumored 2nd update will bring back the Start Menu but with Start Page tiles. That i'm looking forward to as well.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
The power and weight - it is just as light and powerful as a MacBook Air, has a better screen, and can function as a tablet.

AND??? What so special about that. I just saw a nice Sony hybrid tablet/laptop yesterday with pen running Windows 8. It's okay. Not sweeping the industry. Just because Apple isn't doing it doesn't make it extraordinary. On the same hand, just because Apple isn't doing it doesn't make something junk either but in this case there's nothing extra special about the Surface Pro 3 that will sweep the nation. It's a nice device that can be a solution for the niche business customer but I can't see this getting into the hands of the masses which is where it needs to be in order for it to survive.

Just understand that this is not a pun but a serious point. When a company (Microsoft) touts the kickstand's ability to now pivot the screen more flat than before (which is something that should've been done in the first place. Doesn't require any real innovation to do that) that just shows there wasn't a whole lot to brag about with this new machine. They also spent 90% of their keynote about Apple. Nothing wrong with comparisons against the competition, Apple does that too but to spend near the entire keynote comparing the Surface Pro 3 to the MacBook Air just shows the Surface Pro 3 doesn't have enough selling power on its own.
I'll even go as far as throwing Samsung out there that they don't spend much (if any) time comparing their product to the competition during their keynotes.

From my observation, the reason some people are applauding this device is not because it's so amazing but it's because Microsoft has been putting loser devices in the past few years and the SP3 is one of the better things they have put out but there's nothing original about it, nothing extra special, Windows 8 has not been highly accepted (think China Republic) and as I mentioned there are other hybrid Windows 8 tablets to choose from and they haven't been successful enough to reach the masses. Just my opinion but Microsoft needs to go back to what they do best, making software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.