Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Except those are the people who are stirring the pot of hot oil hoping to start a fire.

What? this is.. a discussion board. Some (like myself) are impatient and disappointed that Apple hasn't released an update yet. Guess I just don't understand why this is a problem.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Apple could give customers a realistic timeline and keep potential buyers in the loop.

This is the only real problem in my eyes. If they're going to wait until April to refresh the line (can't get their hands on CPUs/GPUs, waiting on USB3, etc) I would totally understand and would run out and purchase a current model MBP. If they released them in a few weeks, id be happy waiting to have the new model.

Apple is the one that stirs the pot by not communicating things to their customers.. not the customers discussing options & disappointments on a discussion board created for that exact reason.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Why would Apple release a timeline of product refreshes? That would be dumb business-wise because if people always knew when a product was going to be updated, it would prevent them from buying the current one. People would just say why should I buy a Macbook Pro now when there's a new one coming out on February 12 or whatever. By keeping the public in the dark, it keeps their profits up.

Thunder82

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2008
Chicago, IL
Why would Apple release a timeline of product refreshes? That would be dumb business-wise because if people always knew when a product was going to be updated, it would prevent them from buying the current one. People would just say why should I buy a Macbook Pro now when there's a new one coming out on February 12 or whatever. By keeping the public in the dark, it keeps their profits up.

While I do see your point as valid, I think you have to distinguish between doing right by your company and right by your customers.

Also, it's not as if Apple will continue pumping out C2D notebooks with Core i5 being released the next day. They are very good at "clearing the shelves," even with the fairly regular release schedules they've had in the past.

jhawk31

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
Best Buy Online - No MBP 17" Anymore

What's going on everyone, I've been checking out this site for about a month now, finally got around to registering. I too am waiting for a MBP refresh, I'm ready to buy now, but I am trying to hold off for the latest and greatest. I almost purchased the 17" MBP through Best Buy and decided to wait until the announcement that took place yesterday to see if any updates were in the works. Well I checked out Best Buy online and noticed the 17" MBP is no longer available, not sure why? Could this be any indication of a new one? It was available about 2 weeks ago.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
What's going on everyone, I've been checking out this site for about a month now, finally got around to registering. I too am waiting for a MBP refresh, I'm ready to buy now, but I am trying to hold off for the latest and greatest. I almost purchased the 17" MBP through Best Buy and decided to wait until the announcement that took place yesterday to see if any updates were in the works. Well I checked out Best Buy online and noticed the 17" MBP is no longer available, not sure why? Could this be any indication of a new one? It was available about 2 weeks ago.

Apple is going to dictate everything here. Their entire line is still shipping within 24 hours on apple.com. No one knows squat at this point. It is all rumor and speculation until they are released.

Imperil

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
I hope they refresh and ship before the first week of March as I need to pick up a notebook before GDC on March 9th and I'd like the new CPU :)

when has apple had a silent refresh?

Most hardware bumps are done silently. It's only when there's a radical change in the appearance or design of the device that it's not silent.

As in, a 5830 is 3 times as fast than a 9600, and 5670 2.5 times as fast?

And, like when was the last NON silent update for Apple computer hardware? Isn't all Stevetime given to new products, like the iPhone/Macbook Air/iPad now?

June 9, 2009.

michaewh

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Portland, OR
Count me as disappointed. I still have the last rev of the PPC PowerBook G4. I normally update every third year. I'm primarily a business user but also enjoy photography. My primary hang up is lack of Blu-ray support. Yes, that's what I said. I don't need the resolution, but I do need the freedom to watch my growing collection of Blu-ray movies on the road. My options right now are to wait, buy a used MacBook Pro or get the new iMac. Notice, none of those options include buying a current MacBook Pro.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Apple is lucky that the HP Envy doesnt have a backlit keyboard. Otherwise they would have lost me to HP today.

The Envy is junk. First of all it runs Windows. It is poorly made. HP Consumer report is awful. It is overpriced. How you put that in the same league as a MBP is beyond me.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I was also disappointed but did not expect them to introduce anything that would steal the iPads thunder. I expect new MBP's any day though so I'm not exactly worried about it.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009

Check Apple Insider for some very good deals on MBP's. One place is selling the 17" for $300 off.

http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I'm still running the original 500mhz powerbook g4, but recently, the d-link card that gives me wireless packed up, so i have decided to upgrade.
I'm hoping for a tuesday update :)

Bumble Bee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Can a refresh happen later in the day? Or when I wake up at 8 should the resfresh had already happened?

Cali3350

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
The Envy is junk. First of all it runs Windows. It is poorly made. HP Consumer report is awful. It is overpriced. How you put that in the same league as a MBP is beyond me.

I disagree. HOW you can call it overpriced compared to a MBP is not only questionable, its laughable. HP is a terrible support company, but I dont plan on needing the support. As for its quality, it is perfectly fine. Its not a unibody, but its damn near solid as hell. Not to mention the fact it uses a SIPS screen compared to the Macbooks TN.

I wont buy a keyboard that isnt backlit though. It really is a deal breaker for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not going to happen for the bad boys for months yet as they machines are near perfection.

Please stop being childish refer to them properly as macbook pros

Cut him some slack. Based on his posts (always calling them bad boys and always saying how future proof they are) he's probably only 13, though I agree with you the "badboy" thing wears thin

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Cut him some slack. Based on his posts (always calling them bad boys and always saying how future proof they are) he's probably only 13, though I agree with you the "badboy" thing wears thin

Perhaps my signature can be used....

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
While I do see your point as valid, I think you have to distinguish between doing right by your company and right by your customers.

Pro tip: Apple doesn't care about you. It's all about the Benjamins. Maybe the front end customer service reps and the managers will listen, but the bean counters back in cupertino want you to buy a new product every time its released, not wait for it.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
It's funny how this thread is labeled about disappointment in no announcement of the new MBP's yesterday yet people still post on here and tell others that they are stupid for being disappointed and upset.

Then you have your typical defender of their latest purchase. Well, you won't be upgrading when Apple refreshes their MBP line. So why are you here posting that you are happy with your recent purchase when you knew the new MBP's were coming soon? You are looking for justification as to why you plopped down a few grand for old tech. You won't get it here.

Then you have your group of people who are disappointed and actually posting under the right topic. The first two examples of people are what is funny about this thread.

This really is all about timing for everyone involved except for the iBunny dude who's entire life revolves around gadgets and their progression. I don't fault a single person who is waiting for doing so, for if you really needed to alter your hardware, which most on here don't as they are enthusiasts rather than pro users, then you would do what you need to do now, not later.

What I don't get though is the opposition to opinions. You have this guy who wants his first Mac, but he wants the latest and greatest, that seems low priority to me, so why not give him the opinion that what is available now might do him just fine?

And the other thing I don't get is the whole "Outdated" thing, if having the latest spec is your top priority, then you are never going to understand the pro user who uses these computers as tools, not trophies for bragging rights.

For the entirety of this year, my girlfriend and I are on the road doing a high profile documentary. Apple is actually listed as a sponsor, so we got a discount on buying not one, but two 13" MBP's late last year. We sold the 24" iMac and my 15" 2.8 so that we can travel lighter and easier. These were not downgrades to lesser technology but upgrades that fit our needs directly and they are tax write offs in full. I went on to install a Intel 160 SSD and 320 7200 RPM HDD in an Optibay enclosure, max mine out at 8 GB of ram. The overall performance of this computer is actually faster than my BTO 15" I had, because I use it more, it fits more places and when I do not need to use the HDD, I unmount it and get 6+ hours of battery life out of the SSD only option.

Some of us pro users take issues with being told that we paid too much for old technology. And back when I did this "Upgrade" I was told that the MBP would not be upgraded in time for when were out of the country in a few weeks. If the new versions are markedly better in specs that fit our specific needs, then I can still upgrade, there is no law against that. It's just that when living the life that we do takes precedence over what gadget to get next, that is where some peoples priorities are going to lie.

So we are not wasting your time by giving our opinions that we are satisfied with current offerings, we are giving valuable insight to those who might otherwise be overly swayed by tech-head centric value systems that are narrow minded and only offer one of many different opinions to those who are looking for advice.

If you can wait, I would say that is the wisest thing to do, but if you can't wait, then don't wait and don't listen to people here who say you are wasting money on outdated technology.

Some of you should respect that we are all different...this is Apple we are talking about here, "Think Different" for once.

Kimbie

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2010
UK
Count me as disappointed. I still have the last rev of the PPC PowerBook G4. I normally update every third year. I'm primarily a business user but also enjoy photography. My primary hang up is lack of Blu-ray support. Yes, that's what I said. I don't need the resolution, but I do need the freedom to watch my growing collection of Blu-ray movies on the road. My options right now are to wait, buy a used MacBook Pro or get the new iMac. Notice, none of those options include buying a current MacBook Pro.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong, but OSX currently has no way of playing blu-rays and I do not believe Apple will have that support any time soon, so it is unlikely they will put a blu-ray drive in the new machine if and when it comes

Kimbie

WelshDog

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2002
Austin
You would have to be doing some serious cutting edge, high paying work to think of the current line up as outdated hardware.
Or if you keep laptops for a really long time like I do you want any new system to be as advanced as possible. I'm typing this on a Rev A 12" Powerbook 867MHz.

When I buy a new MBP I don't want last years leftovers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.