Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I don't hate the iPad Pro. I kinda like it when I'm lounging at home. But the main reasons I want to sell my iPad Pro is because it never lived up to its "Pro" name for me. (Not you, or you. Me.)

My biggest issues:

Lack of App Support - We went through the initial excuses of "Just wait for devs to catch up" but, as often happens, the devs showed us how little they care for the Apple Watch, Apple TV and iPad Pro. So, not only are many apps lacking split-screen support. I still have a few that run in that little iPhone sized box.

Awkward Multitasking - Side panel multitasking is an inefficient price-is-right wheel of apps. And full multitasking is pretty much two windows that awkwardly require reaching back and forth. I know some people love it but I never could adapt.

Mouse Support - You can see the trend here. I'm not hip enough to change my ways to this world of oversimplified computing. But yes, I want a mouse. Highlighting text, dragging capture areas, precision accuracy. I'm not sure why people resist this fact but keyboard shortcuts and mouse input help streamline a workflow. So without these then its hard to call a machine "Pro".

Portability - Big is great for the couch but its awkward for travel. In fact, my "solution" to all my issues (Multitasking, Portability, Multiple Windows) was to actually get an iPad Mini to carry around and to use at home next to my iPad Pro.

Anyway, I've tried and given up on selling my iPad Pro. The base price is just too ridiculously high so impulsive Ebayers tend to avoid it. So I'll wait a month and see how the market looks.

I think that’s the thing with any device, regardless of make, operating system, size, it’s all very personal. I mean each of your points while certainly no one could argue that they aren’t issues for you, of course they are, it’s your personal feelings. But none of them are issues in my eyes. To me, the list is more….

Lack of app support: well, it’ll come albeit slowly. It’s not as if we’ve not seen this before. When iPhones shifted to a 4 Inch screen it took quite a long time for many developers to get their apps updated for the new size.

Even today some have never been updated. The same happened with the release of the first iPad, it took a while for us to get apps updated to take advantage of the bigger screen size. For many of us it’s not a matter of us not caring about the devices, it’s often just a matter of having the time and resources to get it done. That’s before you even consider the commercial viability of it. Sometimes it’s just not worth doing it, which is why you'll still find apps that, while good in principal, haven't been updated in years. The big companies and developers with popular apps that can justify the cost will update in time. Patience is a virtue and all that.

Awkward Multitasking: Well, even as you say, it’s something some like and some don’t. I fall into the didn’t but do now category. I found the multitasking on my Air 2 to be just a pointless exercise as the screen was just too small for it. But now with the Pro, it’s something I use a lot, every day in fact. There’s definitely still work to be done on the implementation and more apps need to take full advantage of it. But again that’s something that will come with time.

As for two windows being awkward to reach back and forth, well, yeah. You have to switch between windows on any operating system, it’s the only way to move between the two (or more.) I actually like how Apple have handled this, I like that it remembers what’s in the split view so that when I change to a different app and come back, it’s just how I left it. It’s not perfect, switching between them with the keyboard doesn't actually switch the keyboard control to the other window, but that’ll be fixed.

Mouse Support: It’s a tablet, with a mobile centric operating system optimised for touch, it doesn't really need a mouse. It’s not a laptop, or one of those hybrids (that are better laptops than tablets if we’re honest.) where you need cursor control because you have to drop into a desktop.

But of course there are things which do require precision, especially on a device like the iPad Pro. Luckily, you can pinch to zoom into whatever your subject is and get better accuracy on position.

Or there’s the Pencil, one of the new things about the iPad Pro is that it was designed specifically with the Pencil in mind. It’s exemplary for pixel perfect control over drawing, annotating, text selection, pretty much anything in fact.
I’m surprised at myself actually, I didn't think I’d use the Pencil for anything other than, y’know, being a pencil. But it’s great for performing all sorts of tasks. Again that’s a personal thing, just like the Trackpad replaced my mouse on my Mac, the Pencil has given me better than mouse control on my iPad.

Then there’s the two fingered “Trackpad” mode of the on-screen keyboard, which was introduced for exactly the purpose of control over text selection. Apple are improving these things constantly and will no doubt introduce more features as iOS progresses, especially when we get to iOS X. Apple just don't always do things in the traditional way that other companies do, as I’m sure all of us here are aware.

It’s Apple, when there’s a need for mouse-like precision, they don't just say, lets slap mouse support in there. No, they find creative and often more efficient ways of achieving the same result. Keyboard shortcuts do exist as well, though it’s going to depend on what your using. In Pages on the iPad Pro, all of the keyboard shortcuts for selecting text quickly and easily that I use in Pages on my Mac, also work exactly the same in Pages on the iPad, that’s just one example, obviously there are more.

So with the combination of pixel-perfect control with the Pencil, and sometimes using the Keyboard Trackpad, basically negating the need for a mouse. And many keyboard shortcuts working exactly as they do on a Mac. Why cant they call it a “Pro”?

It’s most definitely got the hardware, it’s got the accessories (well, other than hard drives and memory cards, but even those are available from third parties) and believe it or not, the software too. At least in the form of the operating system. Despite what a lot of people like to think, iOS is a “proper” operating system, it’s just optimised for portable use.

The operating system itself is a stunning piece of work. It’s robust, powerful, flexible, easy to develop for, simple to use without sacrificing features. As someone who's used OS X on a tablet device, I cant imagine anything worse than putting a desktop operating system on a mobile device.

While the underlying core may be perfectly fine, the interface just isn't in any way shape or form usable without eventually adding a keyboard and mouse to it. What then, oh, look, you have a laptop. Pointless. Yes I've also used windows 8 and 10 on a tablet and I'm sorry, but I’m in the, it just doesn't work properly camp. There’s a lot of good there, don't get me wrong, I’m not anti-Microsoft. But every time I have to use it, I always end up having to drop down to the desktop for something and its just not finger, or stylus, friendly enough yet. So attach keyboard and mouse, oh look, it’s a laptop again, completely defeats the purpose.

Portability: Well again, as we've seen with everything, this is a subjective thing. As someone who's carried laptops around for years. And back in the dark days, when I was a Windows user (shudder,) I carried a 17” laptop that was significantly bigger, 10 times thicker and many, many, many times heavier than the iPad Pro. Even when I became an Apple boy and transported MacBooks and MacBook Pros around they were (and still are) generally larger and heavier than the iPad Pro.

I think, since the introduction of the iPad and subsequently iPad Mini, we've become spoiled when it comes to a computing device that's both portable and capable. But considering the iPad Pro weighs almost exactly the same as the first generation iPad and really isn't that much bigger than it (2 Inches in height, 1 Inch in width. Approx) yet packs in considerably more power and a much bigger, nicer, more technologically advanced, higher resolution screen, for me it's not exactly a hardship or in any way difficult to transport.
Sure it's not as light or compact as its smaller siblings, but it does offer up more. I know people moan about the weight, but like I say, it's no worse than the gen 1, it's just got a different centre of gravity. I've got severe nerve damage and if I can manage it, I'm shocked that other, able bodied people, whinge about its bulk.

Anyway, all that rambling is basically just to confirm what you, I, and many people say already. It's a very personal device, a personal choice and decision. It won't suit everyone but I'm glad they finally made it.
I can't help but wonder though why some people buy it, fully knowing that it's going to be bigger and heavier than an iPad Air. And then complain about it being bigger and heavier and how they want a smaller one??? Just buy the blinking smaller one in the first place :D

But, like you, I'm just sharing my thoughts on it because I'm in a typing mood. For me I think it's deserving or the Pro moniker. It's maybe got some little kinks here and there, but they'll get ironed out. iOS X is going to be great on the iPad Pro, that's when it'll truly shine........ Probably, what do I know :D

*Edit*
Sorry for waffling on I can't help it sometimes. I genuinely didn't realise how much I'd prattled on when I was typing this out. This public message has been brought to you today with the number 3, the letter P, 120mg of morphine, 3200mg of gabapentin and a handful of other meds that make me ramble. ;)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Good reasons. Those are very much the same reasons why I held off buying one in the first place. I'm curious as to why you bought one. All of these things were known from day-1.
The reason I bought a flawed Gen-1 product that is nothing but an evolution of an already established product and then ended up having complaints about it? It's because, despite the incorrect narrative that the media is trying to push, I believe Tablets are the future.

Tablets already are the next computer. I have kids that are in a generation raised on iOS. I put heavy restrictions on iPads only being used for educational purposes and not as a babysitter so they were raised on touch screens and icons and voice command and for them this is is what a computer is. But what I'm noticing as they're now in school is that their needs go beyond "Touch here to hear the Letter A Sound" then they're needing more function. Multitasking. Keyboards. Efficient input commands. And so I introduced them to the Mac. Gave them a mouse, a big screen and a keyboard. They took to the transition better than I thought BUT I also started thinking that BOTH the iPad and MacBook are not the future of computing. The future is somewhere in between.

And that's where the iPad Pro comes in.

You're right, the things I mentioned were known from the start when I bought my iPad Pro. But I wanted to try it anyway so I sold my "legacy" iPads and found a great sale on the Pro and went for it. I'm not sure if my opinions are painting me as a hater but I love this thing. Great speakers, no-compromise screen, fantastic colors and FINALLY the Stylus support that should have been there from the start. And, while it took me two months to finally go for it, a Smart Keyboard always attached actually changes the frequency of when I use the Pro instead of my MacBook.

While this may not be MY personal future of computing, it definitely is the future of my kids computer. But, the reason I feel so positively on tablets but appear so negative on the iPad, is because the biggest obstacle in the evolution of the iPad is Apple itself. The iPad Pro is great, but in so many ways it SHOULD'VE been better.

App Support is improving and will continue to. It is reasonable to assume that Apple will continue to refine how Multitasking/splitwindow works.
No offense to anyone who says "just wait" regarding the missing apps then as we've seen from the AppleTV3 AppleTV4 and Apple Watch then "just wait" may mean "just wait... Until the next generation and then buy it again". Apple offers no incentives for Devs to develop for their "less popular" platforms and Devs don't seem to have much desire to put extra effort into apps for fringe products.

EDIT: As for why I would get rid of it? Education experiment aside then this is just a great big wonderful oversized iPad... that I can't carry around. And, for me, if I'm going to have a tablet that I don't take out of the house then I'd actually prefer BIGGER. Bring on a 15" iPad!

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The reason I bought a flawed Gen-1 product that is nothing but an evolution of an already established product and then ended up having complaints about it? It's because, despite the incorrect narrative that the media is trying to push, I believe Tablets are the future.

Tablets already are the next computer. I have kids that are in a generation raised on iOS. I put heavy restrictions on iPads only being used for educational purposes and not as a babysitter so they were raised on touch screens and icons and voice command and for them this is is what a computer is. But what I'm noticing as they're now in school is that their needs go beyond "Touch here to hear the Letter A Sound" then they're needing more function. Multitasking. Keyboards. Efficient input commands. And so I introduced them to the Mac. Gave them a mouse, a big screen and a keyboard. They took to the transition better than I thought BUT I also started thinking that BOTH the iPad and MacBook are not the future of computing. The future is somewhere in between.

And that's where the iPad Pro comes in.

You're right, the things I mentioned were known from the start when I bought my iPad Pro. But I wanted to try it anyway so I sold my "legacy" iPads and found a great sale on the Pro and went for it. I'm not sure if my opinions are painting me as a hater but I love this thing. Great speakers, no-compromise screen, fantastic colors and FINALLY the Stylus support that should have been there from the start. And, while it took me two months to finally go for it, a Smart Keyboard always attached actually changes the frequency of when I use the Pro instead of my MacBook.

While this may not be MY personal future of computing, it definitely is the future of my kids computer. But, the reason I feel so positively on tablets but appear so negative on the iPad, is because the biggest obstacle in the evolution of the iPad is Apple itself. The iPad Pro is great, but in so many ways it SHOULD'VE been better.

No offense to anyone who says "just wait" regarding the missing apps then as we've seen from the AppleTV3 AppleTV4 and Apple Watch then "just wait" may mean "just wait... Until the next generation and then buy it again". Apple offers no incentives for Devs to develop for their "less popular" platforms and Devs don't seem to have much desire to put extra effort into apps for fringe products.
Thank you for your reply. I apologize if my question came off as questioning your judgment. That was not my intention. I was genuinely curious as to what you saw in the IPad Pro to the point of purchasing one given the excellent insight you have on its deficiencies. Your reply clarified that for me.

I too believe that tablets are the future. I continue to pursue a tablet option that can be a better mobile solution than my 11" MBA + iPad Air 2 combo. I think it is possible and soon.

I agree with your sentiments regarding "just wait". I wouldn't wait. I don't recommend people buy now on the hopes that something down the road might materialize to address an issue that they are currently experiencing.

As I've mentioned numerous times before, there's a whole spectrum of mobile devices from pure tablets to pure notebooks. Somewhere in between is that balance for a converged device. Where that point is on the spectrum varies from person to person. For some (heavy notebook/light on tablet use), the Surface is that converged device. For others the iPad Pro is it (heavy tablet/light on notebook use).

Owning both a Surface and iPad, I know that my "convergence point" leans more to the iPad side of things than the Surface.

I would not be surprised if the next iteration of iPad Pro reaches that sweet spot for me. They're so close. Until then, I'll plug along with my MBA/Air2 combo.

LCPepper

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2013
United Kingdom
If the new iPad has Pencil support, I will be queueing on launch day to get one... Will even buy the Pencil in advance to try avoid bumps in supply haha.

I have been a strong support of iPad Mini's forever, only once having an iPad Air and regretting it... But for Pencil, I'll even jettison my iPad Mini 4 in a blink!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
FINALLY the Stylus support that should have been there from the start.

If manufacturers waited until they could add all the features that should be there in their products, most products would never ship. Sure, we all wish the iPad had Penicl from day one, but if Apple had waited until they could ship iPad with the Pencil, we wouldn't have had any iPads for the last five years.

Apple offers no incentives for Devs to develop for their "less popular" platforms and Devs don't seem to have much desire to put extra effort into apps for fringe products.

What do you think Apple can do to encourage devs to work on the less popular platforms? The majority platform is where the money is, and that is where devs will go.

I have no doubt we'll be seeing more iPP optimized apps, but it'll take a year or more for there to be a significant number of them. In the meanwhile, a lot of existing productivity apps have gotten much more easier and pleasant to use just because of the larger screen. For me, that more than justifies the cost of upgrading from Air to iPP.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Owning both a Surface and iPad, I know that my "convergence point" leans more to the iPad side of things than the Surface.

I would not be surprised if the next iteration of iPad Pro reaches that sweet spot for me. They're so close. Until then, I'll plug along with my MBA/Air2 combo.
I owned a surface 1, 2 and 3. Each time I sold it in less than 3 months. The reason the Surface frustrates me so much isn't because it doesn't work, but because it works so well... With the wrong OS.

All these people who talk of convergence being a bad thing are missing the incredible possibilities of Apple actually tried their hand at it. We wouldn't see OSX slapped on a tablet or the simple iOS "complicated" by a touchpad. We'd see something in between that would look a lot like a Surface. But better.

(And speaking of Surface vs iPad Pro. Imagine how many issues would be solved if Apple actually put a kickstand in our Pro line. $70 covers to act as a stand, $180 origami mind bending keyboards. Holding a screen in your lap. Apple fans laughed at the kickstand but "it just works".)

Thank you for your reply. I apologize if my question came off as questioning your judgment. That was not my intention.
Don't apologize. I know your posts and "real" conversations are a lot more pleasant than the ones where you have to constantly make disclaimers about how we are "Apple fans" despite this being a purely Apple centric forum.

Reactions: sracer

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
And speaking of Surface vs iPad Pro. Imagine how many issues would be solved if Apple actually put a kickstand in our Pro line. $70 covers to act as a stand, $180 origami mind bending keyboards. Holding a screen in your lap. Apple fans laughed at the kickstand but "it just works".)

I agree that the Smart Cover is overpriced, and that the Smart Keyboard is mind twisting, but I don't like the idea of having a kickstand on my lap, either. If I'm using a tablet on a desk, the kickstand makes sense, but not on my lap. And I buy tablets because I want to use them away from a desk. So right now, my solution is a pillow to prop up my iPad.

calden

macrumors member
May 23, 2012
Switzerland
Not a gamer but how come? Thought this was built for high intensive games.

Yes and no, I found that most of the games I liked didn't support a game controller, so I had to use my hands to navigate which really wasn't all that great of an experience as the iPad Pro was just a little on the large to play comfortably on. The iPad Mini 4 is really the best gaming tablet on the Apple side and the Nvidia Shield Tablet for the Android users. I actually prefer the Shield a lot more for gaming as it not only has the largest game library (I'm not talking about games like Angry Birds but PC level stuff) but also has an absolute fantastic online streaming service delivering PC level titles, is able to stream games from your PC and has many native running titles unique to the platform, i.e. Half Life 2, Portal, Doom 3, etc. Not to mention the numerous retro game emulators available for the Android platform, I even have replica USB game controllers for the N64, SNES, DreamCast, Playstation 1,2, C64 and NeoGeo. Lastly, since the Shield has a built in HDMI port with full support for a 1080P TV at any aspect ration, it also makes for a pretty nice console as well, though I now use a Nvidia Shield TV for that as my TV is 4K and the Shield TV is frankly an incredible piece of tech.
[doublepost=1458577788][/doublepost]
I see a fair number of iPad Pros in the Marketplace forum, so I think there is a higher level of buyers remorse with the IPP, perhaps directly related to the higher price tag.

For me, if I were to take the plunge, it would be for the size and not just the pencil

That really should be your main reason. Almost every person who bought an iPad Pro, that I personally know, really never use their Pencil. If they do use a stylus, including myself, we all use a Wacom FineTouch II as it can be used through out the system and has really fantastic writing capabilities, with palm rejection and pressure sensitivity. This might sound strange but it really isn't, since the iPad Pro doesn't have a mouse, a stylus is really the next best thing, especially when the keyboard is connected which is when a mouse is honestly needed the most. Though the Pencil is a little better at writing, the FineTouch II really isn't to far behind, at least not enough where you'll really notice it but the main advantage and it's a huge one, you can use it everywhere. Something that I absolutely hate that Apple did to the Pencil, it's like Apple can't release a product unless their is a major compromise built into it. Now if your an artist, in which none of us are, than of course the Pencil would be the way to go, if not though, don't bother with it, as it's really just a toy at that point.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm in the window to return my iPad Pro still and I don't know what I'll do. I got the 128gb LTE model for a decent price ($950), but it does irk me that the 9.7-inch model will have some what of a leg up. Going to have to think about it. The photo advancements of the 9.7 model doesn't interest me because I never use the camera on the iPad, but the true tone display is some what appealing.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
Heck I already went ahead and put my iPad Air 2 64GB WiFi(Gold) with case on Craigslist for 450 bucks will see if anyone bites..really want the iPad Pro 9.7 Rose Gold 128GB that one is BEAUTIFUL!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I'm in the window to return my iPad Pro still and I don't know what I'll do. I got the 128gb LTE model for a decent price ($950), but it does irk me that the 9.7-inch model will have some what of a leg up. Going to have to think about it. The photo advancements of the 9.7 model doesn't interest me because I never use the camera on the iPad, but the true tone display is some what appealing.

I got the 128 GB LTE 12.9" too (paid $889 last week). The camera improvements don't interest me at all. I'd like the better display but I find the 12.9" display to be excellent as it is. After using the 12.9" for the weekend, I can see it replacing a lot of the things I used my laptop for. I doubt I could get away with that on a 9.7" screen.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
I got the 128GB iPP last week. Just ordered the 256GB iPP 12.9 and will be returning my 128GB tomorrow.

smashie

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Has anyone got the 12.9 IPP considering getting the 9.7 as well? I have 12.9 and rMB and trying to decide if 2 iPads could replace the rMB. Have iMac at home for any serious work.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Has anyone got the 12.9 IPP considering getting the 9.7 as well? I have 12.9 and rMB and trying to decide if 2 iPads could replace the rMB. Have iMac at home for any serious work.
If you need OSX on-the-go then 2 iPads aren't going to cut it. However, if you have remote desktop software available on your iMac, you can always remote into your iMac when on-the-go. Although I use a combo of an 11"MBA + iPad Air 2, I'm considering getting an iPad Pro as my primary mobile solution and using TeamViewer to access my iMac remotely.

I've been testing out TeamViewer and it works extremely well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.