Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I walked into an Apple store yesterday evening. Just the normal crowd. I played around with an 8+. I could find almost no difference with my own 7+ other than a glass backing. With my penchant for using a case, even that difference would not have been visible. What was the need for Apple not to call it 7S+? I am very keen to see a demo iPhone X before I purchase it.

Alt075

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
Apple is sending me a new one and I’m sending mine back. I bet my replacement will pop as well. There’s a whole thread on it. Pretty widespread.
Really I did not know. I have not seen that thread. Is it in mac rumors. I'm going to have to look. I really hope my replacement does not do this. It is so annoying.

themarriedmommy

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2013
I have the Note 8 and was considering getting the 8+. What were your reasonings if you do not mind me asking?
The screen was just not as clear(I know some say you can't see pixels I can). IOS 11 was glitchy and boring. Just more of the same. I couldn't get air print to work with my printer. No muIti tasking which I use all the time. I've had all the flagships all the way back to palm. The note is the closest i've come to perfection in a phone. I was forcing it with the 8. I think the glass back is gorgeous(had gold) but at the end of the day it just doesn't do as much nor does it do anything faster or better. Just my opinion

BillyBobT

Suspended
Sep 22, 2017
The screen was just not as clear(I know some say you can't see pixels I can). IOS 11 was glitchy and boring. Just more of the same. I couldn't get air print to work with my printer. No muIti tasking which I use all the time. I've had all the flagships all the way back to palm. The note is the closest i've come to perfection in a phone. I was forcing it with the 8. I think the glass back is gorgeous(had gold) but at the end of the day it just doesn't do as much nor does it do anything faster or better. Just my opinion

Agreed note 8 is amazing. I may return my 8. Keep my 8+ and get the X and more goodies

Reactions: Duncanator

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
I appreciate it! I may still try it but I LOVE the Note 8.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
You are dead right.

Look...I'm not against anyone buying a new phone. It's not my money so what do I care how you spend it. :)

I just laugh when some people exaggerate or claim something which is not true.

Someone said in a thread that the 6s is old tech. Really? Ok...let's break it down.

TouchID v2
3D Touch
RAM
LCD screen
Runs iOS 11

Both the ip8 and the 6s share all of the above.

The 6s is older. It's not old tech.

Old tech is a ip5.
[doublepost=1506188438][/doublepost]

People are stupid.

There is no way the ip8 is an ipad3.
The ip8 is in terms of being forgotten. How fast was the iPad 3 updated? 6 months or something if I remember? Once the x comes out the 8 won’t be remembered for much imo

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Is anyone going to tell me with a straight face that it worth $850 to go from a 128gb 6s to the 256gb ip8?

Would you tell your parents that?

For me it was worth it... but I also got $275 in trade credit from Verizon to swap my 128 GB 6s Plus with a fading ear speaker for the 256 GB 8 Plus.

The 8 Plus better in every way... but I'd still probably have kept the 6s Plus another year if the phone weren't starting to give me issues. The battery life was another problem...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

In real world usage the difference isn’t worth $100 let alone $800

The iPhone 6S+ is the biggest bang for buck iPhone you can get now in the plus size range. Period.
K said the same thing last year too. Some people feel the need to justify their new purchase by touting performance. Ok. I guess if you’re editing video whilst working on a PowerPoint (being slightly facetious here) that makes sense.

I’m holding out for the X because I want it, not need it. But it’s entirely possible I’ll keep the 6s plus another year; it will need a new battery though.
[doublepost=1506234677][/doublepost]
For me it was worth it... but I also got $275 in trade credit from Verizon to swap my 128 GB 6s Plus with a fading ear speaker for the 256 GB 8 Plus.

The 8 Plus better in every way... but I'd still probably have kept the 6s Plus another year if the phone weren't starting to give me issues. The battery life was another problem...
I’m heavily considering paying for a battery replacement. Had I told myself two years ago this would be a thing I would’ve laughed.

Reactions: TravisPNW

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm telling everyone I know that got the 8+ to return it and wait for the X. Bigger screen than the plus, smaller body, better screen, etc. For $200 more why would you want to carry that brick around when you can have a bigger, better display, front camera, etc.?

Some actually prefer the design of the current iPhone Plus model. Yes, it's a large phone, but when you have been using it for so long, you adjust rather quickly and I think the end result is you get a better battery, 1080 P display and the dual camera.

Furthermore, not everybody appreciates the notch on the iPhone X, especially for some watching videos in landscape mode.

Reactions: pat500000 and ABC5S

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Some actually prefer the design of the current iPhone Plus model. Yes, it's a large phone, but when you have been using it for so long, you adjust rather quickly and I think the end result is you get a better battery, 1080 P display and the dual camera.

Furthermore, not everybody appreciates the notch on the iPhone X, especially for some watching videos in landscape mode.
Well, since the X isn't out yet, it is hard to make claims of what people like or don't like. Im terms of battery life, another unknown and the X has the same rear camera, better front cam, retina plus, etc. The notch is debatable. You can shut that notch down on landscape video.

My point is, why not wait and see. The 8 really should have been called the 7s. So misleading to unassuming consumers. There is a reason why you can walk in and buy one on the 22nd and the store didn't look any busier.

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom
The ip8 is in terms of being forgotten. How fast was the iPad 3 updated? 6 months or something if I remember? Once the x comes out the 8 won’t be remembered for much imo
The 8 will quietly sell to the mainstream iPhone user-base when their upgrade next rolls around. The vast majority of iPhone users will just select the iPhone that costs the same as they’re paying now - which in most cases over the next 18 months or so will be the 8 - in their favourite colour option. Apple doesn’t need the 8 to be remembered as anything, it just needs it to sell and sell it will.

Reactions: Bethanie21

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011

The battery was the only weakness of the 6s/+.

I had the Samsung chip and only got the rated battery life. My sister who has the TSMC chip got much longer battery life.

The battery got smaller from the 6 to the 6s. Considering that the battery size decrease is also happening this year, from the ip7 to the ip8...I wouldn't be surprised if people are going to notice the same on these phones.

Reactions: TravisPNW

earthdog

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2014
Mine is going back. As much as I was excited about the wireless charging my Car doesn't support wireless CarPlay. I really wanted to look it but once again Apple has done an Evolutionary Update. Maybe I will get an X... In the meantime my 7 Plus JB is great.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle

Not really. iPhone sells more than any other device Apple has and they would not want to create that type of backlash against their main product.

You may forget about the 8 but iPhone users are not a monolith and you really should try not to speak for users.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Not really. iPhone sells more than any other device Apple has and they would not want to create that type of backlash against their main product.

You may forget about the 8 but iPhone users are not a monolith and you really should try not to speak for users.
This years iPhone 8 is one of the worst selling iPhones in history. I’m not speaking about myself here. Not sure why they didn’t just do a October keynote for the x I think it canabolized the 8 a huge amount.
Has any other launch had availability in stores the day of just walking in whenever you want? No. This years phone is the one out of all iPhone history that is showing bad launch release numbers.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
If you're coming from a 6S or 7 it makes no sense to pay full price for pretty much the same thing.

Pretty much the same thing in what way? Size?

I went from the 6s Plus to the 8 Plus... been using it for 48 hours now and the differences to me are night and day.

Biggest things I've noticed?

1) Battery life - My 6s Plus couldn't make it a half day at work streaming music and/or video without needing a charge... I ran the 8 Plus all day today... still above 50%.

2) Display - The difference is obvious... colors are bright

3) Camera/Photos - very sharp

4) Sound - Is this really my first go at stereo speakers? The sound is amazing!

5) Speed - blazing

6) Touch ID - hasn't failed yet

Don't miss the lack of a headphone jack. I use bluetooth headsets. No complaints... amazing phone. Verizon gave me $275 for my old one... can't complain.

:)

Reactions: Bethanie21

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
If you're coming from a 6S or 7 it makes no sense to pay full price for pretty much the same thing.

I came from a 6S and the 8 is a significant improvement. Quicker, sleeker, it’s got the taptic home button. To me the upgrade was worth it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Pretty much the same thing in what way? Size?

I went from the 6s Plus to the 8 Plus... been using it for 48 hours now and the differences to me are night and day.

Biggest things I've noticed?

1) Battery life - My 6s Plus couldn't make it a half day at work streaming music and/or video without needing a charge... I ran the 8 Plus all day today... still above 50%.

2) Display - The difference is obvious... colors are bright

3) Camera/Photos - very sharp

4) Sound - Is this really my first go at stereo speakers? The sound is amazing!

5) Speed - blazing

6) Touch ID - hasn't failed yet

Don't miss the lack of a headphone jack. I use bluetooth headsets. No complaints... amazing phone. Verizon gave me $275 for my old one... can't complain.

:)
is the display really any different besides true tone? the speed difference Is huge?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.