Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Except when I get out of the shower.
Except when I am working out.
Except when I am in a hot tub or pool.
Except when I am wearing gloves.

TouchID is far from perfect.

Or when I have oils on my hands from cooking, and I really want to unlock my phone? I now can just tap the screen with a knuckle, drag up with a knuckle after it sees my face... no fingerprint needed.

Win :)

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Except when I get out of the shower.
Except when I am working out.
Except when I am in a hot tub or pool.
Except when I am wearing gloves.

TouchID is far from perfect.

When I say "in control", I meant you are pro-active in unlocking the phone.
FaceID you are just passive. The phone decides whether to unlock or not (whether you want it to or not).

Anyway, apple should have put the touch ID on the back as well like the galaxy. Then the various unlock methods complement each other.

Reactions: Applejuiced

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I think FaceID is far superior to Touch ID. Pick up your phone and it wakes up, and it unlocks during that time. If you actually want to use your phone, and not just check a notification, then you can swipe up.

So I'd say it's really a two step process -- raise phone, swipe up. And honestly you can do that so quickly it's almost like it's one step.

In my case, when I grab my 6S+... my thumb is not on Touch ID. I have to change my grip afterwards.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I think FaceID is far superior to Touch ID. Pick up your phone and it wakes up, and it unlocks during that time. If you actually want to use your phone, and not just check a notification, then you can swipe up.

So I'd say it's really a two step process -- raise phone, swipe up. And honestly you can do that so quickly it's almost like it's one step.

In my case, when I grab my 6S+... my thumb is not on Touch ID. I have to change my grip afterwards.

That's the thing.
We all think and assume how it will work and how it will not.
Judging basically on what Apple told us or showed us for a few minutes during the release presentation.
Nothing like millions of users actually testing it hands on and at Apple stores etc. Uploading videos showing during different scenarios and different occasions.
We're not that far away from it.
People will either hate it or love it and will vote with their wallets if it works well or not. ;)

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Not trying to make a drawn out post.

Think of TouchID as if there was nothing to touch. Pretend like TouchID simply knows you when you pick up the phone.

That's it. You simply pick up the phone. This is a one step process.

Now FaceID. You have to pick up your phone, look at your phone, and swipe up. Three steps.

The reason why I ask you to forget that you are actually touching the TouchID button is because after a while of using the phone, the physical interaction of touching the button is integrated into the process of simply picking the phone up.

This is an analysis of physical interaction between the two technologies. One requires you to simply hold your phone while the other is a three step process which includes picking it up, physically placing it in front of your face, and then using your hand to gesture for unlock.

If we use the principle that any technology can improve by simplifying it's process, we can see that TouchID is actually the superior technology.

Strictly objective.

Face ID Is not About Security It’s a Markerters dream. You know how you can Click now to SKIP a Youtube Ad. Well 2 Months from now You will have to use Face ID to skip the Ad or you have to Watch it. Snapchat is using Face ID meaning the scanner and sensors. And YouTube is building it into your YouTube Profile.

Been chatting with a Siliconvalley old buddy of mine, and he says Apple has done it. Face ID of course it will come eventually to Mac and iPad heck on PC it’s being Marketed to Gamers as a feature called Eye Tracking by Tobii On 144hz Gaming monitors which can tell where on the screen you are looking.

Make no mistake boys and girls. This is not about Security or Gaming. That’s the foot in the door. And how innocent it is. The reality behind the scenes in Silicon Valley and at Apple. Is how to Create Apps that Track what you are Looking at In real time non stop. The implications for advertising and targegeted ads are monumental.

Here’s just a few

A. Employers will have a scoring system based on how engaged workers are they can tell how much you are looking at your screen.
B. Malls will enable Face ID and partner with Apple to give coupons and discounts at kiosks when you look at a poster.
C. Snapchat and Instagram will have features that provide special Filters when you ID your friends. Tagging people is so 2013. Now with Face ID it’s done immediately.

Can’t wait to see what other uses people can come up with.

Reactions: deany

Hoosier317

Suspended
Sep 21, 2016
Face ID Is not About Security It’s a Markerters dream. You know how you can Click now to SKIP a Youtube Ad. Well 2 Months from now You will have to use Face ID to skip the Ad or you have to Watch it. Snapchat is using Face ID meaning the scanner and sensors. And YouTube is building it into your YouTube Profile.

Been chatting with a Siliconvalley old buddy of mine, and he says Apple has done it. Face ID of course it will come eventually to Mac and iPad heck on PC it’s being Marketed to Gamers as a feature called Eye Tracking by Tobii On 144hz Gaming monitors which can tell where on the screen you are looking.

Make no mistake boys and girls. This is not about Security or Gaming. That’s the foot in the door. And how innocent it is. The reality behind the scenes in Silicon Valley and at Apple. Is how to Create Apps that Track what you are Looking at In real time non stop. The implications for advertising and targegeted ads are monumental.

Here’s just a few

A. Employers will have a scoring system based on how engaged workers are they can tell how much you are looking at your screen.
B. Malls will enable Face ID and partner with Apple to give coupons and discounts at kiosks when you look at a poster.
C. Snapchat and Instagram will have features that provide special Filters when you ID your friends. Tagging people is so 2013. Now with Face ID it’s done immediately.

Can’t wait to see what other uses people can come up with.
Your tin foil hat is on a bit too tight

kappasigds

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
Im a blue collar worker. I work outside. My hands are always dirty or sweaty. I don't know how many times I get a call and wait for touch id to fail. I then have to put in my password. I am hoping that looking at the phone to unlock it will be a major upgrade.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017

I would have liked if Face ID gave us multiple face scans instead of one. After JMo scanned with a Captain America mask, he couldn't open it without one anymore.

I know people could try to use a mask or whatever, but they won't know what face you scanned. This would help if say you need to wear a mask or goggles for recreational activities.

Last edited:

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
When I say "in control", I meant you are pro-active in unlocking the phone.
FaceID you are just passive. The phone decides whether to unlock or not (whether you want it to or not).
the phone doesn't decide whether or not to unlock (not yet at least.).. it's following instructions.
you can easily learn the instructions it's been given and adapt to them.

idk.. it doesn't seem hard to use from what i've seen so far.. looks pretty easy actually.
do you really think you'd struggle with using this type of system?

because if not, you're making it sound like you would.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

I would have liked if Face ID gave us multiple face scans instead of one. After JMo scanned with a Captain America mask, he couldn't open it without one anymore.

I know people could try to use a mask or whatever, but they won't know what face you scanned. This would help if say you need to wear a mask or goggles for recreational activities.

If they’re recreational activities I’m guessing it’s not 24/7/365. Maybe failing to the passcode would work?

In the winter, wearing gloves is pretty common and Touch ID is impossible to use. If I have to fill up my car with gas and it’s below freezing, I have to take a glove off to use Appple Pay with Touch ID, even if they’re the touch enabled gloves. Talk about a PITA.

We are slamming Face ID for not working under various scenarios and we forget that Touch ID doesn’t work under various scenarios.

Reactions: DiveKitty

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
That's the thing.
We all think and assume how it will work and how it will not.
Judging basically on what Apple told us or showed us for a few minutes during the release presentation.
Nothing like millions of users actually testing it hands on and at Apple stores etc. Uploading videos showing during different scenarios and different occasions.
We're not that far away from it.
People will either hate it or love it and will vote with their wallets if it works well or not. ;)
Well I have watched quite a few of the hands on videos and also read about it a fair bit... I think what I said was reasonably accurate but we'll see.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Battery life will take a hit with faceid.
One unlock will 24x more battery than touchid.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA

Wow, that's a lot! Or is it? 24X what? How many times can someone unlock their phone with FaceID to lower their battery by 5%? Is this 24X number something Apple has confirmed? Is it a number scientific tests have proven?

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Is that why Apple says that the battery life of the X is 2 hours longer than the 7?

Also, curious on those numbers you pulled.

Reactions: DiveKitty

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Ethan Hunt and Arya Stark are fictional.

I'm not a celebrity.

I don't have a makeup artist who has a mold of my face.

I don't have an identical twin.

I will give Face ID a chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.