Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Hey there,

I was about to send my iPad Pro back to Apple yesterday, however the backup process kept repeating to send me the following message:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-12-23 um 7.22.59 AM.png
My iPad Pro has 153GB of storage taken. Nevertheless, I kept getting the error message telling me I do not have enough available storage to finish the backup.

I kept trying to free more space and try it again, however it failed 3 times and on the 4th time, when I returned to my computer, i found the iPad stuck on the Apple logo for whatever reason.
I tried the basic troubleshooting steps, however nothing helped.
Does anyone know an option that I can at least try, something besides the hard reset in order to get around potential data loss?

My situation is the following:
- It (iPad Pro 12.9 iOs 13.1 got stuck during the backup process, hence all I have is an iCloud backup
Can someone tell me what changed with iOS 13, regarding the newly introduced feature/ ability to save files directly to the device?
(I did use that a lot, because then after saving something I don't have iCloud syncing and draining my battery in the background, given I deal with files without an immediate need to have them synced)
Will those files now for sure be gone? I mean, as the point of it all is to have them stored on the device locally and not in iCloud, they surely cannot be party of the iCloud backup?
- Apple basically has got me by the credit card, because the whole point of the local backup was to prevent data loss, before sending the iPad back to Apple because it has a broken button and now time is running up, as Apple will charge my credit card in case the 'broken button iPad' - which not committed self-harm during the backup process and became 'stuck iPad with broken button' - will not be sent back to them in time.

iPad-Pro-Stuck.gif

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
You could try another software for the backup process. One that’s occasionally mentioned here is iMazing i think but I haven’t tested it myself.

Could it be that other running apps or processes have created temporary files that block your storage space?

Can you try to backup to a different computer to figure out if the issue is with the iPad or the computer?

Best success.

Reactions: JhnsSch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.