Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
So I returned my MacBook to the store I bought it. They sent it to Apple for repair. Now I have it back, my keyboard is replaced (so they didn't swap the machine). The problem still persists. I think it's a heat problem. I think that when the MacBook gets hot, the keys deform and then make a clicky sound. I think this problem is a lot bigger than Apple thinks, it's a design flaw.

I'm sorry to hear that. Very frustrating.

Will you take it back to them?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
So I returned my MacBook to the store I bought it. They sent it to Apple for repair. Now I have it back, my keyboard is replaced (so they didn't swap the machine). The problem still persists. I think it's a heat problem. I think that when the MacBook gets hot, the keys deform and then make a clicky sound. I think this problem is a lot bigger than Apple thinks, it's a design flaw.

It does seem to be heat related, but if it was key deformation, it would likely return to normal upon cooling. Is that what you've observed? There has also been some evidence that glue is involved, and that would be less likely to resume its original shape.

rlsikosek

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
the Netherlands
I'm sorry to hear that. Very frustrating.

Will you take it back to them?

I don't think I am going to take it back to the store. I think I am going to call Apple tomorrow. I don't accept it any longer, a machine at 2000 euros should work perfectly.

It does seem to be heat related, but if it was key deformation, it would likely return to normal upon cooling. Is that what you've observed? There has also been some evidence that glue is involved, and that would be less likely to resume its original shape.

Yes that's what I am observing. When my MacBook cools down everything is fine, but when it gets warmer the keys deform and the keyboard gets inconsistent and is making high pitched sounds (especially caps lock and tab)

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I don't think I am going to take it back to the store. I think I am going to call Apple tomorrow. I don't accept it any longer, a machine at 2000 euros should work perfectly.

Good luck at the store, and please report back with how you got on.

LegolasWang

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
I agree with your opinion of keys deforming under heat.

Based on my experience with mine and my friend's machine. This sticky keys problem is happening and will only happen under heat. Apple store did a check for my laptop and says it's because of "DUST" under keys. But that's totally misleading. I questioned him of the possibility of dropping dust to the different sticky keys under heat.

Few Facts based on my observation on multiple machines(13 and 15):

1. Every machine has this sticky keys issue. It will start appears in few fays or in a month.
2. Both 13, 15 inches. Base models or BTO models all included.
3. The sticky keys are not the same keys. But if one key become sticky, the same key will be sticky next time under load.
4. My sticky keys always start with the some keys I pressed most often under load.

Replacement so far is useless. I think it is indeed a design flaw and apple is aware of it. But it requires either redesign of keyboard or exchange of materials to fix it. Neither of the fix is easy. I highly doubt if apple will do anything to fix these generation at all.

It's doesn't matter when's your Manufactured date. As long as it's this gen Macbook Pro. Your certain key will become sticky(under load) at some point of normal use.

The question left is simple, if you can bear with it, buy it. If not, then don't buy.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I agree with your opinion of keys deforming under heat.

Replacement so far is useless. I think it is indeed a design flaw and apple is aware of it. But it requires either redesign of keyboard or exchange of materials to fix it. Neither of the fix is easy. I highly doubt if apple will do anything to fix these generation at all.

It's doesn't matter when's your Manufactured date. As long as it's this gen Macbook Pro. Your certain key will become sticky(under load) at some point of normal use.

The question left is simple, if you can bear with it, buy it. If not, then don't buy.

That's quite a depressing thought. I'll be curious to see how other members' machines behave over the coming months: namely those members who seem to have received machines that don't have have this fault.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
That's quite a depressing thought. I'll be curious to see how other members' machines behave over the coming months: namely those members who seem to have received machines that don't have have this fault.

Since it's usually only a couple keys that exhibit this behavior even for those whose keyboards get hot, chances are that some keyboards won't have the issue at all when heated. I haven't done anything yet to heat mine up, so I have no way to know how mine will behave.

Reactions: TripleMoxy

atalkingfish

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
So, after having this problem on my N key, I have not been able to do anything in regards to getting it repaired or fixed. The Apple reseller here said they ordered a new key, but that Apple is not giving those types of replacements right now (?).

That being said, a couple things have happened. Uninterestingly, I have found that the problem also exists on the 4 and 6 keys, but not as much.

More interestingly, I have found that after using the computer a lot, I have noticed it less. Now, is this due to me adjusting to it? Maybe. But I remember when I first got the computer, the keys would click loudly even when I was just using it for a long period of time, even if it didn't get too hot. I have not had that happen lately. When I'm doing something super intensive, like rendering a large video, I will noticed the clicking again, but it seems to be less predictable. I just did a test by heating my computer up with terminal, and it did click after it got hot, but not necessarily as intensely or predictably as I remember before.

I'll keep my eyes on it, but there is hope that this sort of problem is not permanent! It's a shame we should have to put up with this given how much these computers cost, but it makes sense that a problem like this can only tolerate so much repetitive strain.

Maybe after a year, all of our $3000 laptops will be fully functional! And then, of course, new laptops will have come out...

Reactions: greyhouse

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Returned my first Mac with the issue with the number four key, spoke to the guys there. Awesome service, they let me keep my Mac until my new BTO arrived. Started chatting with the guys and they said another Mac that week was returned due to a similar issue with the variability in sounds from the keyboards.

Anyway, I'm on my second Mac now, asked the fellas to chuck in a magic mouse 2 for inconvenience, which they did, and theres no loud clicks or anything with this one. Manufacture date is 9th Jan 2017, first Mac had a date of either 1st or 2nd, can't remember exact date.

Guys I would hold on and keep exchanging till you're happy, because this machine is incredible (13inch TB 16gb), its well worth it at the end, and if you're not totally convinced, ask the guys in the store to throw in some goodies!!

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Thought id share my experience ...

Decided to upgrade my late 2015 MBP to the new MBP TB 13" near the end of December. The machine looked amazing out the box however, within a few hours of use, I was less than pleased.

The keys seemed "clicky" - akin to the game frustration whereby you press down on a plastic sphere with a metal spring at the bottom.

The return key was sunken and not consistent with the remainder of the keyboard either.

I returned the machine to the Apple Store for a replacement.

Sadly, this was only the beginning for me :(.

I am now on machine number 13! - no word of a lie, I have worked my way through 13 different machines. The latest machine is actually a US keyboard layout because id had enough of the horrible sunken return keys on the UK models.

This machine seems ok, with the exception of the "c" key. It has collapsed - has no return and a louder click than the rest.

Im going to hold of on a return, for the time being, in the hope that Apple realise that this machine is entirely not fit for purpose in its current form and rectify the issues.

Wackery

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2015

Decided to upgrade my late 2015 MBP to the new MBP TB 13" near the end of December. The machine looked amazing out the box however, within a few hours of use, I was less than pleased.

The keys seemed "clicky" - akin to the game frustration whereby you press down on a plastic sphere with a metal spring at the bottom.

The return key was sunken and not consistent with the remainder of the keyboard either.

I am now on machine number 13! - no word of a lie, I have worked my way through 13 different machines. The latest machine is actually a US keyboard layout because id had enough of the horrible sunken return keys on the UK models.

This machine seems ok, with the exception of the "c" key. It has collapsed - has no return and a louder click than the rest.

Im going to hold of on a return, for the time being, in the hope that Apple realise that this machine is entirely not fit for purpose in its current form and rectify the issues.
i wouldn't be surprised if people here say, just buy the wireless keyboard, as a solution

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
And the worst thing of all is that the guys at the Store damaged my MacBook. There's a little dent on the side of the screen. It's very small, but it's frustrating.. They gave me a 50 euro gift card.

The weirdest thing is that I read everywhere that replacement keyboards aren't available yet. But the Store said that my keyboard was replaced. I doubt if this is true now..

They replace the entire top case - not just the keyboard. They are available.
[doublepost=1486916707][/doublepost]
i wouldn't be surprised if people here say, just buy the wireless keyboard, as a solution

- When spending £2k on a machine, I expect it to be perfect.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

Are you astonishingly unlucky, or do you type with unusual force? I'm pretty sure 13 is a Mac Rumors record.

Do the keyboard troubles arise after the machine gets hot?

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Are you astonishingly unlucky, or do you type with unusual force? I'm pretty sure 13 is a Mac Rumors record.

Do the keyboard troubles arise after the machine gets hot?

I touch type, permanent contact with the keyboard home keys - centre line. Dont press them any harder/softer than the average bear :)

The keys have all demonstrated the issue, regardless of temperature. If you remove the keycap, it is a small piece of metal attached at the four corners - some of these parts emit a louder noise than others.

If its not perfect, I won't settle for it - why pay £2k for a machine thats not perfect? My late 2015 MBP was perfect but then again, I didn't buy it at release time and therefore wasn't subject to the flaw stage.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I touch type, permanent contact with the keyboard home keys - centre line. Dont press them any harder/softer than the average bear :)

The keys have all demonstrated the issue, regardless of temperature. If you remove the keycap, it is a small piece of metal attached at the four corners - some of these parts emit a louder noise than others.

If its not perfect, I won't settle for it - why pay £2k for a machine thats not perfect? My late 2015 MBP was perfect but then again, I didn't buy it at release time and therefore wasn't subject to the flaw stage.

Well, maybe I'm missing something, but mine's been fine, and many others report the same, so to get 13 in a row that aren't appears to be quite a streak of bad luck!

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
Well, maybe I'm missing something, but mine's been fine, and many others report the same, so to get 13 in a row that aren't appears to be quite a streak of bad luck!

Sadly, I've either all the bad luck or I've picked up on a flaw. I'll go with the latter.

All 13 machines have demonstrated keyboard issues.

In my opinion, the issue is that the keyboard is not robust/durable to withstand prolonged use over time.

I use my machine for a good 12 hours daily. It sits on my desk in the office, alongside another two computers. I think the issue is that with prolonged and or long periods of use, the mechanism below the keycap becomes suppressed whereby not giving the same support etc.

This can be demonstrated by pressing fairly firmly on one of the keys then have a look at it. You'll see it suppressed more so than the others. You'll also note the consistency when typing, in comparison to the other keys.

This is definitely a design flaw, one which I guarantee apple will rectify in the coming months. Their legal team were swift to bring matters out of the spotlight when I put forward my initial writ.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Sadly, I've either all the bad luck or I've picked up on a flaw. I'll go with the latter.

All 13 machines have demonstrated keyboard issues.

In my opinion, the issue is that the keyboard is not robust/durable to withstand prolonged use over time.

I use my machine for a good 12 hours daily. It sits on my desk in the office, alongside another two computers. I think the issue is that with prolonged and or long periods of use, the mechanism below the keycap becomes suppressed whereby not giving the same support etc.

This can be demonstrated by pressing fairly firmly on one of the keys then have a look at it. You'll see it suppressed more so than the others. You'll also note the consistency when typing, in comparison to the other keys.

This is definitely a design flaw, one which I guarantee apple will rectify in the coming months. Their legal team were swift to bring matters out of the spotlight when I put forward my initial writ.

All I can do is point to what I said above. I and many others haven't had that issue, speaking now of both 13- and 15-inch models, even with prolonged use. Many others have had issues, but generally resolved with replacements. Most of those seem to be heat related, whereas yours apparently isn't.

Edit: that does mean what you observe isn't a design flaw, but if it is, it's one that many of us apparently aren't triggering.

monstermac77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2007

Thanks for posting and so sorry to hear you've had to go through 13 machines and sacrifice your preferred keyboard layout in order to get something that's still less than perfect.

Reactions: David-89

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
13? I'm surprised Apple allows that and that is a bit obsessive in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple changes its return policy because of this kind of thing. I mean after 4 or 5 don't you think it's time to start looking elsewhere?

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
13? I'm surprised Apple allows that and that is a bit obsessive in my opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple changes its return policy because of this kind of thing. I mean after 4 or 5 don't you think it's time to start looking elsewhere?

I'm at a loss as to why your surprised that Apple "allow" it.

If a machine is faulty, a consumer is entitled to redress.

I have correspondence from Apples legal team who admitted that the machines were faulty however, they require a certain percent returned before they can action a recall / replacement.

You will recall last years MBP, how many complaints and returns did it take before Apple offered repairs of the coating in the screens? A good six months down the line.

I would also highlight that after machine number 4, the faulty unit was sent to Apples engineering design team in Cupertino - they then confirmed the fault and gave the go ahead for another replacement.

Reactions: greyhouse

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I'm at a loss as to why your surprised that Apple "allow" it.

If a machine is faulty, a consumer is entitled to redress.

I have correspondence from Apples legal team who admitted that the machines were faulty however, they require a certain percent returned before they can action a recall / replacement.

You will recall last years MBP, how many complaints and returns did it take before Apple offered repairs of the coating in the screens? A good six months down the line.

I would also highlight that after machine number 4, the faulty unit was sent to Apples engineering design team in Cupertino - they then confirmed the fault and gave the go ahead for another replacement.
That's fine and I'm glad your getting correspondence from Apple on the issue. All I'm saying is as a consumer if you have tried a product 13 times and it's not working, isn't it time to look at other options and find another laptop that suits your needs so you can move on with your life? I guess for me if I really wanted a product that bad I'd give it maybe 4 or 5 times and then call it a day and move on. I guess I've just never heard of sending the same type laptop back 13 times, shipping to and fro is not cheap for Apple to pay out.

David-89

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2017
That's fine and I'm glad your getting correspondence from Apple on the issue. All I'm saying is as a consumer if you have tried a product 13 times and it's not working, isn't it time to look at other options and find another laptop that suits your needs so you can move on with your life? I guess for me if I really wanted a product that bad I'd give it maybe 4 or 5 times and then call it a day and move on. I guess I've just never heard of sending the same type laptop back 13 times, shipping to and fro is not cheap for Apple to pay out.

Alas, having moved to mac years back, I doubt I could have the same productivity level with a windows based machine now.

I'm was/am willing to persevere because I know that Apple are an exceptional brand with quality products however, like everything, we sometimes get it wrong.

I should also highlight that Apple have not shipped to and fro. I have had to travel some 41 miles to the store for each replacement ...

Reactions: monstermac77

greyhouse

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
"So you judge people based on their reports of an issue you do not even know in person?"

In this case… yup.
I listen to the videos, and can't hear much, if any difference.

I'm sure the keys on my keyboards don't all sound identical.
So what?

Why are you so interested in other peoples keyboards if you're not having this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.