Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
I don't think I am going to take it back to the store. I think I am going to call Apple tomorrow. I don't accept it any longer, a machine at 2000 euros should work perfectly.

Yes that's what I am observing. When my MacBook cools down everything is fine, but when it gets warmer the keys deform and the keyboard gets inconsistent and is making high pitched sounds (especially caps lock and tab)

Apologies if you've already reported back, but how did you get on with Apple? I'm still hovering in this forum in the hope of some good news. Sad, I know, but there you have it.

Reactions: monstermac77

tigredicarta

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2017
The situation is worse than ever. I had issues with my y key. They tried to swap the keyboard. 15 days later received my Mac with a broken touch ID, some scotch around the fringe and 4 broken USBs. They ordered me a replacement unit, that I received today.

In the new unit the problem is in the m key, same issue. They will send me another replacement. I can no more measure the time and the energies that I have los t for this f***ing issue.

Last edited:

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Having watched this thread for some time now, I am still surprised that none of the main reviews of this product have picked up on the issue, even in the 'three months later' follow up articles that some of them publish.

I would normally think that some of the people here are being overly picky if I hadn't experienced the problem on three different machines. I decided to take a break from the exhausting return-and-replace revolving door. However, I still need a laptop, and I am still reluctant to abandon the interoperability of devices and apps in the Apple ecosystem. But I'm not sure how long I can wait.

I hope that those of you who receive replacements will continue to update this thread with the condition of your keyboards. It's the only way some of us will have the confidence to re-purchase.

werpu

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Mhh I dont see this as a problem at all, after all the keys just sound different when pressed. If they would not work anymore then yes I would agree this is a problem but as for now this is purely a cosmetical issue, most people wont even notice.
Guess what I have a cherry mechanical keyboard from corsair and some keys especially enter also sound different especially when pressed on a different position or have different sizes.
Given that the new mac keyboard is semi mechanical i think this can be expected.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Mhh I dont see this as a problem at all, after all the keys just sound different when pressed. If they would not work anymore then yes I would agree this is a problem but as for now this is purely a cosmetical issue, most people wont even notice.

Sounds can be a big issue depending on what they are. There's sounds I don't mind, but once I had a key develop a slight ringing tone to it and I had to take the computer apart to fix it. This is more common in people with sensory processing issues than the general population, but basically anyone who hears sound at all can find specific sounds annoying.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Just watched several of the posted video example. I have the ears of a mongoose and can perfectly hear the difference. That being said, if I pick up one of these babies and that is the only issue i can find, I will be ecstatic. Maybe if the key press felt different? But sound different?

rlsikosek

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2014
the Netherlands
It feels different too. Some keys feel spongy, but some keys feel extremely clicky. It's not good and it has a negative effect on your overall typing.
[doublepost=1487102581][/doublepost]I spoke to the store again today. I asked if I could get a summary of the things they had done with my machine at the repair centre. The salesman said that it wasn't true what an other salesman had said to me. He said that my keyboard was NOT replaced. They couldn't reproduce the problems that I have with the machine. They sent the machine back to the store without ANY form of repair. I said that if they couldn't reproduce the problem, they could at least have called me. In that way I could exactly tell them what the problem was en when it occurs. What is the purpose of sending a machine back with problems without any form of repair? I absolutely don't understand. The store told me that they have to send the laptop in for a second time for repair. If they can't repair the machine after the second time, I have the right to claim a new machine.

Bosseh

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Hello! I bought my MBP 15" TB 2,6/512/16/460 (manufacture date: 2017-01-16) on February 3rd and noticed the annoying clicking sound the same day as I bought it and started googling about this issue and found this thread. I went back to my local Apple Premium Reseller on February 7th and returned it for service where they replaced the top case (including battery) with a new one that they ordered from Apple. Yesterday, 7 days later, I got back my MBP and after some hours of use it seems like the clicking issue is gone. I've tried clicking on all the keys on the keyboard and haven't noticed anything annoying high pitched clicking sound - yet! :).

By the way I: My store didn't really want to bring it in for service at first (even though they could reproduce the problem by forcing the MBP to heat up) because the keys still worked as normal and that the clicking sound wasn't really an issue big enough to repair/fix. Even though I was told to visit the official Apple Store in my town (45 minutes with buss+train) because they would take this issue more seriously, I chose to stay at my local store and call AppleCare instead where the very nice customer service guy told me that my local store more or less were forced to bring my MBP for service, because the high pitched clicking sound isn't a feature that should be expected by any customer (<< damn that was a long sentence - I need to improve my english!). I went back to the service desk and told this information that was given to me from AppleCare which made them accept to bring in my MBP for service.

By the way II: Neither my local store or the guy that I spoke with at AppleCare had heard about this issue before. My guess is two scenarios: 1) very few MBP 15" 2016 are affected by this issue OR 2) The regular consumer don't care or think that this issue is serious enough to bring it in for service, they might even think that this issue is more of a feature.

Last edited:

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It sounds like a lot of stores are going to force a push back until Apple releases a recall and fix. However, just like any recall from Apple (same for batteries) Just because they issue a recall doesn't mean they will fix everyone's, only if it fits their criteria of the recall after they test it.

werpu

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
Not sure if an this issue will result in a public recall. Probably not, most people (me included although the verdict still is open here since I have not received my 2016 MBP yet) would not consider it serious enough to even bring the machine in. People are differently affected by noise. I have had a mild tinnitus for 15 years now and dont even mind, since I have to live with it anyway. So I doubt a different kind of clicking really would affect me. On the other hand. The keys on my 2012 MBP seem to wear out after having been used heavily for 4 years now. Thats an issue which I really care about, because it affects my typing significantly.

Btw. regarding the resellers not acknowledging they know about this issue. That is to be expected. I have had a widely reported issue with several years back with a 1st gen Macbook air (overheating broken hinge) and I printed out several pages of complaints and went to the repair center. The repair center also said he never heard about it. It was either ignorance or they basically got the order from Apple not to publicly admit it. Btw. a semi silent recall for those issues already was ongoing so they must have heard.
So never ever expect a public statement from anyone that they know about the problem unless there was/is a public recall ongoing.

Last edited:

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Not sure if an this issue will result in a public recall. Probably not, most people (me included although the verdict still is open here since I have not received my 2016 MBP yet) would not consider it serious enough to even bring the machine in. People are differently affected by noise. I have had a mild tinnitus for 15 years now and dont even mind, since I have to live with it anyway. So I doubt a different kind of clicking really would affect me. On the other hand. The keys on my 2012 MBP seem to wear out after having been used heavily for 4 years now. Thats an issue which I really care about, because it affects my typing significantly.

Btw. regarding the resellers not acknowledging they know about this issue. That is to be expected. I have had a widely reported issue with several years back with a 1st gen Macbook air (overheating broken hinge) and I printed out several pages of complaints and went to the repair center. The repair center also said he never heard about it. It was either ignorance or they basically got the order from Apple not to publicly admit it. Btw. a semi silent recall for those issues already was ongoing so they must have heard.
So never ever expect a public statement from anyone that they know about the problem unless there was/is a public recall ongoing.

Agree, that's why I took mine back for a full refund while I still could, and went back to my trusted 2010 MBP. Will skip this gen and see if gen 2 fixes this annoying problem.

Tbh the keyboard's sound was SO annoying for a laptop that costs £1,500. My £300 Acer had a better keyboard.

Reactions: TripleMoxy

Csanko

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2017
Denmark
Hi again.
Just received my replacement. It has so far no troubles with the keyboard, tried it for hours playing overwatch with no sign of high pitched keys.

My first mbptb15 was produced 13th of january, and i ordered it at the 10th of January. This had an issue with the "A" key.
The replacement, i received today, is produced on the 31st of january, and it has NO faults so far.

That was it. Hope you get the same result as me!
Cheers!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Hi again.
Just received my replacement. It has so far no troubles with the keyboard, tried it for hours playing overwatch with no sign of high pitched keys.

My first mbptb15 was produced 13th of january, and i ordered it at the 10th of January. This had an issue with the "A" key.
The replacement, i received today, is produced on the 31st of january, and it has NO faults so far.

That was it. Hope you get the same result as me!
Cheers!
My 2nd one also has a better keyboard than my first one. The 2nd one was manufactured Jan 30th.

Reactions: Csanko and Sanpete

Keithboon

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2017
Guys, good news and bad news, sorry for my broken English but I just received my replacement of my MacBook Pro 15 inch touch-bar (2.7Ghz,512gb,pro 460) and this keyboard is very nice close to perfect it doesn't have any high-pitched sound on all key except the delete button, the delete have the high pitch sound even it doesn't get warm or hot and the trackpad is oblique left side of the trackpad is same as the rest palm wtf and the right side of the trackpad is normal, also the manufacture date is 30-1-2017, I gona return this MacBook Pro and have a refund and wait until 2017 model

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This feels like the first true consequence, physical hardware wise, of the continuing and prolonged "thin obsession" from Apple. The new keyboard concept just got too thin and something in what they had to do along the way to achieve it is causing an issue.

I really wish they'd stopped at how the Magic Keyboard keys feel and travel, etc.

In any case - These new MBP's are "AppleCare+ Mandatory" if you ask me. Just a matter of time before some form of problems manifest themselves with the screen, the ports, the keyboard, the TouchBar - You name it. Lots of new things they attacked all at once and Gen 1 of that sort of thing can often be fraught with issues, especially 12+ months down the line.

SHeLL9840

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
A lot of people that enjoy Apple products do so because of the (typically) immaculate build quality and attention to detail.

When you have random keys that make high-pitched noises and in some cases don't press down properly, feel sticky, or don't register inputs reliably, it's not surprising to see that getting on people's nerves.

The other issue is that even if the noise doesn't bother you as the owner, there's a good chance it'll drive one of your office-mates crazy.

TL;DR yes people care.

Crossbow.Wallaby

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2017
Sydney, Australia
This is the noise my keyboard makes on my 13" non touch bar. As you will see all the keys sound different but my T Y U keys seem to be the loudest. Seems like nit picking but when typing in a quiet area it gets some comments from people about how loud it is. This is my 2nd 2016 pro after my first one had graphical issues and random freeze ups.

Would this noise be considered abnormal?

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
This is the noise my keyboard makes on my 13" non touch bar. As you will see all the keys sound different but my T Y U keys seem to be the loudest. Seems like nit picking but when typing in a quiet area it gets some comments from people about how loud it is. This is my 2nd 2016 pro after my first one had graphical issues and random freeze ups.

Would this noise be considered abnormal?

I had a similar problem but not across so many keys.

I considered it abnormal and quite distracting, so I returned three machines with that issue.

As I've said previously on this thread, there are much cheaper laptops that don't have this irritating inconsistency and high-pitched sound on their keyboards.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
As I did understand due to other threads this "issue" will resolve it self if you just use the keyboard.
That's what I could find when I did go trough some threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.