Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slgray49

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I ordered my phone online from Verizon. When I called Apple to add + I was told I could add it at an Apple store but I had to do it BEFORE the 14th. I needed the confirmation email of my preorder and the serial number of the phone. I called another day and the rep again told me I could only get it at a store and it had to be BEFORE fri. She didn't mention I needed the serial number, only the confirmation. I called Verizon to get the serial number and they said that info wouldn't be available until thurs. I might try tomorrow with just the confirmation email to see if I can add it.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I ordered my phone online from Verizon. When I called Apple to add + I was told I could add it at an Apple store but I had to do it BEFORE the 14th. I needed the confirmation email of my preorder and the serial number of the phone. I called another day and the rep again told me I could only get it at a store and it had to be BEFORE fri. She didn't mention I needed the serial number, only the confirmation. I called Verizon to get the serial number and they said that info wouldn't be available until thurs. I might try tomorrow with just the confirmation email to see if I can add it.

Verizon rep from Twitter confirmed that Wednesday there will be a special number we can call to add AppleCare+.

etenorio0622

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
The Bay Area
Applecare+ for AT&T orders

Does anyone know if the same offer will be extended to AT&T customers? I have heard the following for Verizon orders.
1. A special number will be set up to call and add applecare+ by Wednesday.
2. An email will go out to customers letting them know that they can purchase it.
3. or go into an Apple store on the 14th to add it.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
You know, I'm wondering if there'll be an option to add/purchase during activation or in a follow-up email after activation. Seems like it would be smart of Apple to do given AC+ is brand new and a lot of people didn't know the details.

Then again, you'd think the reps and Apple CS would know if that were.

hbmex

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2009
Huntington Beach
AppleCare

According to Appe you can purchase AppleCare anytime prior to the one year warranty expiring.

----------

This is what it said on my e-mail receipt when I purchased my iPhone 4s from the Apple Store from my iPhone 4.

"If you purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, you're covered for technical support and hardware repair for up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone. If you haven't yet purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, you're eligible to purchase it any time while your iPhone is under its original one-year warranty."

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
According to Appe you can purchase AppleCare anytime prior to the one year warranty expiring.

----------

This is what it said on my e-mail receipt when I purchased my iPhone 4s from the Apple Store from my iPhone 4.

"If you purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, you're covered for technical support and hardware repair for up to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone. If you haven't yet purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone, you're eligible to purchase it any time while your iPhone is under its original one-year warranty."

That's AppleCare. We're talking about the '+' version. Although, with that being said, the .pdf on the product still includes the old AppleCare language about window of purchase.

See screenshot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 9.43.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 9.43.54 PM.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 66

Martron

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
That is just the normal $69 Applecare. I spoke to 3 Apple reps in the last 2 days and 1 ATT rep. I pre-ordered mine at an ATT store, this is what I was told.

2 Apple reps told me that there is no way I can get it from them. It has to be purchased at the time I bought my iPhone. Said I should try calling ATT.

Called ATT. Rep was WAY nicer than the Apple reps. They were short and unhelpful. She didn't really know what I was talking about, but she asked her supervisor multiple times for me. Currently they only have the $69 Applecare, but was told by her supervisor I could call on Friday (10/14) to add it, when they have it in stock. However, it didn't sound too definitive.

I called Apple one more time to see if I could get someone nicer, since they're usually really helpful about this kinda thing. I was transferred a couple times, finally to the Applecare department where I finally got a really nice woman. She really looked into it, asking her supervisors multiple times about it, and agreeing that there has to be a way for pre-orders (not through Apple.com) to get Applecare+. Basically, she told me it's brand new and no one there really knows what to do with it. They're only saying you have to buy it at the same time as the phone because that's what the computer is telling them.

Anyway, she couldn't find any way for me to buy it today but she did open a case for me, under my registered Macbook that's still under warranty. She said that I should try calling ATT on Friday to add it and if that doesn't work to call back and see if there's any new info on my case. While she couldn't solve it for me, she did say she believes there will be some way for non-Apple.com pre-orders to get it.

mr1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011

----------

I called AppleCare on the 7th and asked. They said you can buy it anytime that year, but the fine print on apple's website says otherwise... I would have read the Terms and conditions if I hadn't already been reading all day...

WMassSoprano

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
I was in my local apple store this morning and was asking about how to add applecare+ to my and my husband's new 4s-es. The reps on the floor hadn't heard of the problem with not being able to order it with the pre-order on Verizon (I didn't realize ATT was having the same problem) and I told them that since we ordered from Verizon, we were never given that option. They went and talked to their manager who said that she had a 2 hour conference call on this very topic (later) today. Unfortunately it was around 2:00 est and I wasn't able to call the store back after that to find out what the verdict was. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see what they say. (My local apple store is AWESOME, they've got the best customer service imaginable :) ) I'll let you guys know what I find out tomorrow.

I'm just so amazed that no one in the Apple/Verizon/ATT world realized that this was a problem!

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
I was in my local apple store this morning and was asking about how to add applecare+ to my and my husband's new 4s-es. The reps on the floor hadn't heard of the problem with not being able to order it with the pre-order on Verizon (I didn't realize ATT was having the same problem) and I told them that since we ordered from Verizon, we were never given that option. They went and talked to their manager who said that she had a 2 hour conference call on this very topic (later) today. Unfortunately it was around 2:00 est and I wasn't able to call the store back after that to find out what the verdict was. I'll be calling them tomorrow to see what they say. (My local apple store is AWESOME, they've got the best customer service imaginable :) ) I'll let you guys know what I find out tomorrow.

I'm just so amazed that no one in the Apple/Verizon/ATT world realized that this was a problem!

please remember to post an update! thanks in advance!

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I didn't see it either when I ordered from Apple Store but then again I wasn't looking. Has anyone been able to add this to their Apple.com order after the fact? I'm going to try to chat with support tomorrow.

etenorio0622

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
The Bay Area

Thanks for looking into this, please do post an update. Thanks.

silvrbullet

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I sent the Apple store an e-mail yesterday and got a response back. It said "Please contact AT&T, or visit an Apple store after 10/14 . Thanks"

So it sounds like thy are aware there is an issue. I mean, if you have a brand new phone they should be able to help you out. I see why they say you have to add it at the time of purchase, but I believe something can be done to help us out.

So far, my damn phone still hasn't shipped... Lame.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
I have never purchased insurance so

iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3Gs, iPhone 4 = $99 x 4 = $ 396 in savings.

I'm am now self insured. There is a $49 deductible for claims so I would have to spend $445 before I was not ahead.

I'm not saying that insurance is a bad thing but I upgrade every year regardless, so I'm not worried about warranty and I just hope I don't break it.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
I called the 800 number yesterday and told the rep I wasn't offered AppleCare+ at check out. She said she had to email another department but it would be taken care of. About 6 hours later I logged into my account and it was pending.

I'd do this today though, I think once phones start hitting they won't be as willing.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
I just called Apple and was told by the rep (who had a discussion with her supervisor) that AppleCare+ will be available for purchase at the retail stores until Oct 21st for those who preordered the 4S. Of course, this is slightly different than the story linked in the previous post.

kozz

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2011
adding to the confustion.

just spoke with an apple rep, he said I will have 30 days to purchase apple care +. I need to go to verizon and they should be able to add it when I get my phone, and if not he said to call him back and let him know.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
AppleCare + is a complete waste of money for the vast majority of people.

Do the math. $99 plus $49 service fee means about $150 if you accidentally damage your phone. You get 2 accidental exchanges. So total costs about $200 for two accidental damages.

No AppleCare plus. Take your chances. $199 for replacement iPhone out of warranty.

What are the chances of you damaging your phone twice in a two year period? Because the spread $50 difference for one replacement $150 (via AppleCare plus vs $199 out of warranty (no warranty).

It's an easy call. Save your money on AppleCare plus.

Plus add in credit card extended warranty free of charge that protects your iPhone for second year makes the other advantage of AppleCare plus useless (yes I have used my Amex 2nd year warranty and they gave me back the $199 plus taxes I paid apple for a real out of warranty problem (non water damage/non physical damage). So the extra year warranty didn't cost me anything.

Dtp8513

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Just called Apple.. When I got the virtual answering thing, i just kept saying things until it took me to a rep. 30 sec wait to speak to rep, got transferred direct to customer service, no wait.. put request to add apple care +

not sure why people are saying you cant add it after the fact.. it was the easiest part in this process so far..

sddabrow

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Just called Apple.. When I got the virtual answering thing, i just kept saying things until it took me to a rep. 30 sec wait to speak to rep, got transferred direct to customer service, no wait.. put request to add apple care +

not sure why people are saying you cant add it after the fact.. it was the easiest part in this process so far..

Because you ordered your iPhone through Apple. Some of us ordered it through Sprint, Att, Verizon.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
AppleCare + is a complete waste of money for the vast majority of people.

Do the math. $99 plus $49 service fee means about $150 if you accidentally damage your phone. You get 2 accidental exchanges. So total costs about $200 for two accidental damages.

No AppleCare plus. Take your chances. $199 for replacement iPhone out of warranty.

What are the chances of you damaging your phone twice in a two year period? Because the spread $50 difference for one replacement $150 (via AppleCare plus vs $199 out of warranty (no warranty).

It's an easy call. Save your money on AppleCare plus.

Plus add in credit card extended warranty free of charge that protects your iPhone for second year makes the other advantage of AppleCare plus useless (yes I have used my Amex 2nd year warranty and they gave me back the $199 plus taxes I paid apple for a real out of warranty problem (non water damage/non physical damage). So the extra year warranty didn't cost me anything.

Apple will no longer let you get a replacement iphone. So apple+ might be a good idea. IF you can't use your CC for insurance.

coloboiler

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Knowing that Apple is offering this new warranty I would have called them before doing anything with Square Trade. It's not a knock against ST, but that Apple is just a phone call away. Seems lazy not to even try.

I'm nothing if not lazy! Honestly, though, it just doesn't seem worth it to me to waste more hours of my time getting the run around from AT&T and Apple reps when the Square Trade warranty gives me what I need.

That said, I will be checking back to this forum because the AppleCare+ warranty does seem ever-so-slightly better, and if other AT&T customers can find a hassle-free way to add it without having to go to an Apple store on Friday or waiting on hold for several hours, I can still cancel the Square Trade warranty for a full refund within 30 days. Call it insurance on an insurance policy.

DPK400

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
I just talked to AppleCare sales on the phone and the rep I spoke to told me it needed to be purchased at the time of sale. However she said to bring the phone into an Apple store and they "might" allow me to purchase it then. Great. I will get the phone on friday and then have to drive 90 miles to a store. It's convenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.